Do we really have a choice?

politically-wrong

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:47 am
@Numpty,
Am not familiar with this issue AT ALL , but one thing i know is " you must expect anything from a person who believes his homeland is under occupasion "
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:41 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;54113 wrote:
Of that we may agree sir, never the less, murdering peacekeepers, which the British Army were there for and their families was not nescessary, You forget my friend, I lived and breathed this for 20 years. It's very easy to make judgements based on what has been reported.

No doubt both sides are filled with scum, and also filled with decent people, but does your sympathy extend to condoning the killing of British service men, their families and the countless other inoccent victims of the indescriminent killings?

I may have a biased opinion on this, earned I think, but I wish no harm to any law abbiding person.[/QUOTE

When the British army was first sent to Northern Ireland,they waere wamly welcomed by the nationalist community,who were being persecuted and burned out their homes,but that soon changed when they joined forces with the RUC and then murdered innocent civillians on "bloody sunday"

I dont like the murder of innocent civillians,but the RUC and British army were legetimate targets.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:17 pm
@Numpty,
Quote:
Of that we may agree sir, never the less, murdering peacekeepers, which the British Army were there for

Bloody Sunday.

Says it all.

It feels very odd to agree with scooby.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:58 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;54046 wrote:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

That means, unless you have a warrant, I don't have to let you in my home or let you see anything I own, use or do. If you do have a warrant, you need to tell me what you're looking for and where you're looking for it, along with a damn good reason why.

This ensures privacy. The gov't can't go snooping through your stuff (this includes communications and communications devices... i.e. effects) unless they have a warrant.

Now do you see why these warrantless wiretaps violate the Constitution?
Where in your quote does it say you have a right to privacy? And the key words in what you quoted is "unreasonable searches and seizures" Define reasonable? And that is what is allowed without a warrant.
Quote:
This ensures privacy.
It may insure some but it does not guarantee it or say it is a right?
Quote:
This ensures privacy.

Oh yes they can, if it's within reason remember.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 07:49 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;54260 wrote:
Where in your quote does it say you have a right to privacy?

The whole thing.

Quote:
And the key words in what you quoted is "unreasonable searches and seizures" Define reasonable?

Sure. When my property is searched without a warrant, it's unreasonable.

Quote:
And that is what is allowed without a warrant.It may insure some but it does not guarantee it or say it is a right?

Can't come into my home, can't look through my things, can't take anything. I think you misunderstand the word "unreasonable". It does not only mean extreme or beyond a limit, it also means "without reason". If you don't have a valid reason to go through my things (this means a warrant), then GTFO.

Quote:

Sure, if it's within reason (read: WARRANT). If they have a warrant to search my property, person, communications, media, whatever... I am not gonna stop them. They have a warrant, that's how the law works.

If not... there's the door, gentlemen.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:52 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;54260 wrote:
Where in your quote does it say you have a right to privacy? And the key words in what you quoted is "unreasonable searches and seizures" Define reasonable? And that is what is allowed without a warrant.It may insure some but it does not guarantee it or say it is a right?

It was written using the word "reasonable" for a specific reason, this is so it can adapt to the times.

Just by your response i can tell you have very little understanding of the American constitution.

Have you ever heard fo such things as implied rights?
DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:07 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;54278 wrote:
The whole thing.

Can't come into my home, can't look through my things, can't take anything. I think you misunderstand the word "unreasonable". It does not only mean extreme or beyond a limit, it also means "without reason". If you don't have a valid reason to go through my things (this means a warrant), then GTFO.

Sure, if it's within reason (read: WARRANT). If they have a warrant to search my property, person, communications, media, whatever... I am not gonna stop them. They have a warrant, that's how the law works.

Quote:
The whole thing.
I did, nothing about "a right to privacy?"
Quote:
If the law thinks different, who takes precident?
Quote:
Can't come into my home, can't look through my things, can't take anything.
If they think it is within reason, yes they can.

Quote:
I think you misunderstand the word "unreasonable".
Quote:
It does not only mean extreme or beyond a limit,
Nothing in there about either? You always make up sheit?
Quote:
If you don't have a valid reason to go through my things (this means a warrant), then GTFO.
You don't decide what a valid reason is, they do. A cop walks up to your car, does he need a warrant to look inside? Nope. You open your front door to see a cop, you have paraphernalia on your coffee table. He see's it. Guess where you spend the night, all without a warrant.
Quote:

Probable cause. Your the one leaving.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 08:48 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;54301 wrote:
I did, nothing about "a right to privacy?"

Problem number 2 in this country, usually linked to number 1. Lack of knowledge and an understanding of what those words mean.

Quote:
If the law thinks different, who takes precident?

The law doesn't think. The law is stated very clearly. Free from unreasonable search and seizures, UNLESS with a warrant.

Quote:
If they think it is within reason, yes they can.

Not without a warrant. That's why if I get pulled, I can tell them to stick it if they wanna search my vehicle. Of course, they'll come back with a warrant to do so if they feel that I in fact have contraband in my car.

A cop asked if he could see inside my trunk. I replied "no, not really." and that was the end of it. No warrants, no forced searching, nothing. He let me go. Without a probable cause to search my trunk (i.e. reasonable), they can't do it.

Quote:

Use all four definitions on Amendment 4. See whatcha get. Not having a reason, not in accordance with what is "normal", excessive, shall I go on?

Quote:
Nothing in there about either? You always make up sheit?

You sound familiar... the use of question marks where they shouldn't be, bad grammar... awfully familiar...

Anyway, once you take your definition and amendment and mix the two, you will get your answer.

You always make up werds?

Quote:
You don't decide what a valid reason is, they do. A cop walks up to your car, does he need a warrant to look inside?

To visibly see inside, no. Search anything within an arm's reach of my door, no (this includes the glovebox, guys UNLESS LOCKED). To open my door, take me out and go through everything including trim, bags, belongings, seats, etc... you better know he needs a warrant if I decline to allow his search.

Quote:
You open your front door to see a cop, you have paraphernalia on your coffee table. He see's it. Guess where you spend the night, all without a warrant.

Very true. Hide the bong.

If a cop sees a bong on my coffee table when I open the door, I'm busted. No doubts. That's within plain sight. Now, if he wants to search my closets to see if I have a grow room or a fat stash in there... sorry, Charlie. Come back with the papers.

Quote:
Probable cause. Your the one leaving.

Under such probable cause a warrant will be issued. Again, read the law:

"and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

Probable cause = warrant! It's that easy. But the warrant must be detailed as to what they want and where they're looking.

If an officer of the law does not have a warrant, then you do NOT have to allow him to search. That is the law. The Constitution was designed to protect *US* the citizen. It tells the government what it is NOT allowed to do. It CANNOT search people, their belongings, or their homes without a proper and detailed warrant.
DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:14 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;54292 wrote:
It was written using the word "reasonable" for a specific reason, this is so it can adapt to the times.

Just by your response i can tell you have very little understanding of the American constitution.

Have you ever heard fo such things as implied rights?
Implied rights are for those who cannot support there case in factual word.
DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:56 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;54302 wrote:
Problem number 2 in this country, usually linked to number 1. Lack of knowledge and an understanding of what those words mean.

The law doesn't think. The law is stated very clearly. Free from unreasonable search and seizures, UNLESS with a warrant.

Not without a warrant. That's why if I get pulled, I can tell them to stick it if they wanna search my vehicle. Of course, they'll come back with a warrant to do so if they feel that I in fact have contraband in my car.

A cop asked if he could see inside my trunk. I replied "no, not really." and that was the end of it. No warrants, no forced searching, nothing. He let me go. Without a probable cause to search my trunk (i.e. reasonable), they can't do it.

Use all four definitions on Amendment 4. See whatcha get. Not having a reason, not in accordance with what is "normal", excessive, shall I go on?

You sound familiar... the use of question marks where they shouldn't be, bad grammar... awfully familiar...

Anyway, once you take your definition and amendment and mix the two, you will get your answer.

You always make up werds?

To visibly see inside, no. Search anything within an arm's reach of my door, no (this includes the glovebox, guys UNLESS LOCKED). To open my door, take me out and go through everything including trim, bags, belongings, seats, etc... you better know he needs a warrant if I decline to allow his search.

Very true. Hide the bong.

If a cop sees a bong on my coffee table when I open the door, I'm busted. No doubts. That's within plain sight. Now, if he wants to search my closets to see if I have a grow room or a fat stash in there... sorry, Charlie. Come back with the papers.

Under such probable cause a warrant will be issued. Again, read the law:

"and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"

Probable cause = warrant! It's that easy. But the warrant must be detailed as to what they want and where they're looking.

If an officer of the law does not have a warrant, then you do NOT have to allow him to search. That is the law. The Constitution was designed to protect *US* the citizen. It tells the government what it is NOT allowed to do. It CANNOT search people, their belongings, or their homes without a proper and detailed warrant.
Quote:
I asked you to show me where in the Constitution is says a right to privacy. I'm still waiting? You come up with what it means to you but i'm not asking that. In this country we go by what is writen. What you say is not writen in the Constitution. You give it your own interpretation to arrive at what you want. Hence, you think you see a right to privacy. When you can show it in print verbatim, let me know.
Quote:
Any thing within reason is fair game. If there are unreasonable searches then there are surely reasonable ones.
Quote:
Not without a warrant.
My ass. If it's within reason/probable you don't need a warrant.
Quote:
If the cop thought he established probable cause, it didn't matter what your answer was. And there wouldn't be much you could do to stop them. Even without them having a warrant.
Quote:
I see you not getting past "unreasonable."
Quote:

I mix and mix and i still don't come up with your answer?
Quote:
Nope, not if he "thinks" he established probable.
Quote:
Nope, wrong again. If you give him cause, he gets to search for free.
Quote:
They already established probable. They already looked through your stuff. The warrant came after the fact.
Quote:
Probable cause= looking without a warrant.
Quote:
If an officer of the law does not have a warrant, then you do NOT have to allow him to search.
LOL, just because you don't allow it means they won't, LOL.
Quote:
It CANNOT search people, their belongings, or their homes without a proper and detailed warrant.
You forget, within reason, right?
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:25 am
@DiversityDriven,
Read closely San^H^H^H^HDriven... This kinda puts it all into perspective:

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under the amendment, law enforcement must receive written permission from a court of law, or otherwise qualified magistrate, in order to lawfully search for and seize evidence while investigating criminal activity. A court grants permission by issuing a writ known as a warrant. A search or seizure is generally unreasonable, i.e., unconstitutional, if conducted without a valid warrant.

The privacy in the 4th comes from that. Meaning that I do not have to worry about the gov't snooping in my stuff unless they have a REAL good reason, and they tell me they're doing it.

Another neat tidbit:

A seizure is not constituted by merely approaching the individual on the street or in another public place, and asking him if he is willing to answer some questions, or by asking him questions if he seems willing to listen, or by offering in evidence in a criminal prosecution his voluntary answers to such questions. The person approached, however, does not have to answer any questions under these circumstances; he can simply walk away. He may not be detained even momentarily without reasonable, objective grounds for doing so; and his refusal to listen or answer does not, without more, furnish those grounds.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:29 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;54318 wrote:
Implied rights are for those who cannot support there case in factual word.

No where in the constitution does it give any power to instate a draft, no where in the constitution does it say our powers are to be seperated, no where does it say anything about public education, no where in the constitution does it say anything about free markets etc...

there are a lot of implied rights/powers in the constitution and whether you like it or not these powers are recognized by the courts!
DiversityDriven

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:04 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;54334 wrote:
Read closely San^H^H^H^HDriven... This kinda puts it all into perspective:

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under the amendment, law enforcement must receive written permission from a court of law, or otherwise qualified magistrate, in order to lawfully search for and seize evidence while investigating criminal activity. A court grants permission by issuing a writ known as a warrant. A search or seizure is generally unreasonable, i.e., unconstitutional, if conducted without a valid warrant.

The privacy in the 4th comes from that. Meaning that I do not have to worry about the gov't snooping in my stuff unless they have a REAL good reason, and they tell me they're doing it.

Another neat tidbit:

A seizure is not constituted by merely approaching the individual on the street or in another public place, and asking him if he is willing to answer some questions, or by asking him questions if he seems willing to listen, or by offering in evidence in a criminal prosecution his voluntary answers to such questions. The person approached, however, does not have to answer any questions under these circumstances; he can simply walk away. He may not be detained even momentarily without reasonable, objective grounds for doing so; and his refusal to listen or answer does not, without more, furnish those grounds.

This is all contingent on not establishing probable? " law enforcement must receive written permission from a court of law, or otherwise qualified magistrate, in order to lawfully search for and seize evidence while investigating criminal activity. " If they are being unreasonable right? Have you established that yet?
DiversityDriven

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 07:11 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;54341 wrote:
No where in the constitution does it give any power to instate a draft, no where in the constitution does it say our powers are to be seperated, no where does it say anything about public education, no where in the constitution does it say anything about free markets etc...

there are a lot of implied rights/powers in the constitution and whether you like it or not these powers are recognized by the courts!
That's a big jump. Maybe next time you'll make it. Keep implying all you want, when you come up with factual word, we will talk. Verbatim is where it's at.
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 02:06 pm
@Numpty,
Quote:
no where does it say anything about public education

That's states' rights.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2008 05:08 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;54391 wrote:
This is all contingent on not establishing probable? " law enforcement must receive written permission from a court of law, or otherwise qualified magistrate, in order to lawfully search for and seize evidence while investigating criminal activity. " If they are being unreasonable right? Have you established that yet?

If you have probable cause, you have a warrant. If you have a warrant, I will not stop you. If you do not have a warrant, you're not searching without my permission. My refusal to give permission is NOT probable cause. It's that simple and it's how the law works.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:06 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;54404 wrote:
That's states' rights.

not all of it but, yes.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 07:07 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;54392 wrote:
That's a big jump. Maybe next time you'll make it. Keep implying all you want, when you come up with factual word, we will talk. Verbatim is where it's at.

So I take it you don't believe the government has the power to draft?
0 Replies