What would George Carlin talk about if he was still around?

Tue 20 Jul, 2021 07:27 pm
Hi. I am not a big fan of George Carlin. I have seen a number of his comedic acts in videos on YouTube. One thing I didn't like about him was he very anti-religious.

I hope the man got Saved before he passed.

He was a smart man. He had to be smart to come up with all the stuff he did when he was doing stand-up.

He did a lot of social commentary. I think he was funny but he didn't have to cuss or be vulgar to be funny.

He passed in 2008.

If he was still around I wonder what he would do stand-up about. He's probably have a lot of material to work with, with all the stuff going on in the world since his passing.

What do YOU think he'd talk about if he were still around?

I think he'd probably do stand-up based on the following:

Social media. He predicted the advent of social media in early stand-up comedy routines. He'd probably talk about how ridiculous a lot of it is. He's probably talk about freedoms Americans actually have on social media.

He'd probably talk about issues with YouTube and video-sharing sites and such.

The Covid-19 pandemic and crisis. He predicted this years ago in some acts he did especially in the one he did about germs. I feel like he would touch upon this.

The Trump administration. Sometimes he touched upon politics. He did talk about politicians but he didn't call out anyone by name. However I think in Trump's case he'd make an exception.

Streaming services. Possibly. He'd probably talk about how complex modern tech has become.

Political correctness and cancel culture. He'd probably talk about how ridiculous some of this is.

BLM? Maybe. He'd probably talk about their influence on pop culture and society and such.

Karens, Beckys and Stacys. He'd probably touch upon this. This is a big thing now.

Reality TV. He'd probably talk about how crappy and ridiculous some of this programming is.

The retail apocalypse. That's somewhat of a big issue now.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Please help. Thank you.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,811 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed
No top replies

maxdancona

Tue 20 Jul, 2021 09:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
I was a fan of George Carlin. He would certainly have things to say about gender based pronouns and the fear of offending people. He was always agains political correctness.

I think Bill Maher is the most important comedian in this vein in 2021.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 8 Feb, 2024 07:45 am
https://x.com/tuckeetuc/status/1755413446663766371?s=20
I think his content would be exactly like Russell Brand’s—seeing through the insanity of current American, nay global, psychosis, but of course with the slower, sardonic delivery—which is probably preferable.
TheOneWhoGotAway

Thu 8 Feb, 2024 08:37 am
@JGoldman10,
Carlin was a master wordsmith. He would likely be laying down the obvious about the global elite and Vax-Corps. Carlin observed and was very vocal about how sheep-like society had become, but I don't think even he would have believed the levels of ridiculous blind cliff-jumping that occurred over the last few years.
Lash

Thu 8 Feb, 2024 09:58 am
@TheOneWhoGotAway,
Agree!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Feb, 2024 10:25 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think his content would be exactly like Russell Brand’s

Well rapey.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Mame

Thu 8 Feb, 2024 12:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Carlin's nothing like Russell Brand, who I think is a creep. I think you're right about comparing him to Ricky Gervais. George Carlin was a hippy-type who pointed out the very same things as Gervais, but in a different manner. As he aged, he was more and more outraged and went on a few rants. I think his most famous bit was "The Seven Words You Cannot Say on Television", after which he proceeded to say them Smile Not all humour ages well, and I think his is one of those, given all the vulgarity these days. I'd say that Carlin would have likely made the same remarks Gervais did at the awards show, about how nobody gives a s*it about the political opinions of celebs and to just shut up, accept your award and go and sit down.
izzythepush

Thu 8 Feb, 2024 01:05 pm
@Mame,
When I looked at his wiki page it said a lot of his stuff was about American subcultures which is why it probably didn't translate so well over here.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 19 Feb, 2024 03:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
I wonder what Carlin would say about Biden.
Lash

Mon 19 Feb, 2024 04:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you have ChatGPT, you can get an idea.
0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 19 Feb, 2024 06:08 pm
He'd say what what we're all thinking, and he'd say it with gusto.
izzythepush

Tue 20 Feb, 2024 02:18 am
@Glennn,
We're all thinking you're nuts.
Glennn

Tue 20 Feb, 2024 05:55 am
@izzythepush,
Actually, they were thinking that I must have adopted a stalker-troll. But by now they understand that there was never an adoption. You just ended up on my porch. But I don't think I'm going to feed you.
0 Replies