The American flag..

wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 04:15 am
@aaronssongs,
Freeman is a very intelligent young man. One who has yet to learn that he is not a island. And one that needs to learn compassion for others.

I pray he learns that lesson easily and does not have to be brought to his knees to learn it. Because compassion for others is a lesson God insists we learn , no matter how hard the learning is.

aaronssongs;39890 wrote:
SS is valid , and responsible for millions of elderly and disabled persons having some modicum of quality life...Let's hope you never grow old, or disabled...it's bad enough not having even a vestige of a heart.
wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 04:19 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman if the social security funds had not been borrowed on over the decades and been left in safe investments like bonds. The SS fund would now be one of the richest on earth held privately or by governments and it would well be able to cover all its obligations . It was designed that way. Just because wicked men have robbed it does not mean they should not pay that money back. Which really means wicked men have robbed your generation , because now it falls to you to pay back what they stole.

Freeman15;39894 wrote:
I was referring the enormous detriment it will become when it bankrupts this nation, and nobody has any measure of social welfare. Let's not be so quick to judge shall we?
Freeman15

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:42 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39899 wrote:
Freeman if the social security funds had not been borrowed on over the decades and been left in safe investments like bonds. The SS fund would now be one of the richest on earth held privately or by governments and it would well be able to cover all its obligations . It was designed that way. Just because wicked men have robbed it does not mean they should not pay that money back. Which really means wicked men have robbed your generation , because now it falls to you to pay back what they stole.

That's my point. SS has failed because government is inherently corrupt, and our founders understood this principle (hence the fragmentation of what little power the federal government was actually granted). The premise was noble, the implementation failed, and my challenge was to name government action that has not hurt, or has benefitted Americans. SS has obviously failed as a concept due to inept government action. This is why I like it when Congress and the President do nothing (unless they're cutting spending and government departments), they can't do any harm if they just sit there.

I am more than willing to allow them to collect government salary in exchange for no legislation. It's cheaper than the garbage they'd otherwise pump out.
wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:18 pm
@Freeman15,
Well this is one way to look at it freeman.

But your way will not alleviate suffering and that is what I am concerned with.

Freeman15;39953 wrote:
That's my point. SS has failed because government is inherently corrupt, and our founders understood this principle (hence the fragmentation of what little power the federal government was actually granted). The premise was noble, the implementation failed, and my challenge was to name government action that has not hurt, or has benefitted Americans. SS has obviously failed as a concept due to inept government action. This is why I like it when Congress and the President do nothing (unless they're cutting spending and government departments), they can't do any harm if they just sit there.

I am more than willing to allow them to collect government salary in exchange for no legislation. It's cheaper than the garbage they'd otherwise pump out.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:23 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39961 wrote:
Well this is one way to look at it freeman.

Private Charity is more efficient, voluntary, and generally helps those who actually need it (as opposed to scammers claiming diability for 10 years at age 35). Lower taxes, and encourage private charity. When the government taxes some and gives to others, that is theft. Only I may give my money to another person.
wvpeach

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:02 pm
@Freeman15,
I have been involved in private charities for at least 25 years. I have been on school boards and worked in my communities. I work in nursing homes , childrens homes and boys and girls clubs. I know private charities.

I can tell you without a doubt Freeman that if you ever find yourself in need do not count on private charity. They cannot even begin to cover 1/4 the need out there, nor do they want to. the desire to do so is a big problem.

You know for at least a 100 years well to do families cut all the buttons off their used clothes they gave to charity. Why you might ask? .... Button shortage ? would be a good guess. But that would be incorrect.

They cut the buttons off so that to wear the clothes people would have to sew back on mis mastched buttons and could be set apart as poor and lower class.

I think even you Freeman understand that if you depend on human nature to help the needy you are delusional.... Or at best naive!

Freeman15;39963 wrote:
Private Charity is more efficient, voluntary, and generally helps those who actually need it (as opposed to scammers claiming diability for 10 years at age 35). Lower taxes, and encourage private charity. When the government taxes some and gives to others, that is theft. Only I may give my money to another person.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:16 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;40022 wrote:
I have been involved in private charities for at least 25 years. I have been on school boards and worked in my communities. I work in nursing homes , childrens homes and boys and girls clubs. I know private charities.

I can tell you without a doubt Freeman that if you ever find yourself in need do not count on private charity. They cannot even begin to cover 1/4 the need out there, nor do they want to. the desire to do so is a big problem.

You know for at least a 100 years well to do families cut all the buttons off their used clothes they gave to charity. Why you might ask? .... Button shortage ? would be a good guess. But that would be incorrect.

They cut the buttons off so that to wear the clothes people would have to sew back on mis mastched buttons and could be set apart as poor and lower class.

I think even you Freeman understand that if you depend on human nature to help the needy you are delusional.... Or at best naive!

Presently I don't, because we don't emphasize it enough to our young people, we count on the government to handle it.

I have a problem with compulsory charity. If we as a society can't look out for one another, then we deserve to fail.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:21 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39961 wrote:

As noble as a concept as that is, unfortunately there will always be suffering. The problem is when government tries to end suffering and lend a helping hand, it more often than not causes more misery.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 08:15 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;39584 wrote:
And when have we gone to war under the right reasons? Heck WWII was a lie in the fact that Pearl Harbor never needed to happen. America, has lied to the people or allowed things to happen so the public buys the idea. And I can live with that. But today the lies have us in a head lock and the leader trying to beat both sides. The people and the terrorist. So I am not good with todays open lies! I liked it when they sugar coated the lies and got my nod. Like ask not what your country can do for you. But ask what you can do for the country. I loved the man who said these words. But it made the Gulf of Tonkin believable and got me into a government S.E. Asia vacation!
One reason I am trying to get AMERICAFIRST to see with both eyes open and a clear mind.
And I believe every Americasn should serve a stint in the Military, so they have some more respect for self and others! That they become better citizens from serving, for many reasons and all to make them better Americans.

Oh, I find that last paragraph interesting..."every American should serve a stint in the military"???? I'd say that should be true, provided, the military and the US government are "honest brokers"....and not set on embarking on imperialistic ventures, "ill-conceived", "poorly planned", and benefiting a select few (government contractors, corporations, the rich, and power brokers), with little regard for human life and suffering.
Vietnam was a reckless venture...I went 1-A, for a year, but my draft number wasn't called (it was in the 200's)...had I been called, I would have been a C.O., as I would not have engaged in combat....it would have been against my religious conviction. And I say that with certain pride.
mlurp

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:54 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39898 wrote:
Freeman is a very intelligent young man. One who has yet to learn that he is not a island. And one that needs to learn compassion for others.

I pray he learns that lesson easily and does not have to be brought to his knees to learn it. Because compassion for others is a lesson God insists we learn , no matter how hard the learning is.

well said wvpeach and a nice avatar to boot. Now pray for FEDUPAMERICAN.
loooooooooool sorry it wasn't directed toward you I just had to let it out.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:59 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;40508 wrote:
Oh, I find that last paragraph interesting..."every American should serve a stint in the military"???? I'd say that should be true, provided, the military and the US government are "honest brokers"....and not set on embarking on imperialistic ventures, "ill-conceived", "poorly planned", and benefiting a select few (government contractors, corporations, the rich, and power brokers), with little regard for human life and suffering.
Vietnam was a reckless venture...I went 1-A, for a year, but my draft number wasn't called (it was in the 200's)...had I been called, I would have been a C.O., as I would not have engaged in combat....it would have been against my religious conviction. And I say that with certain pride.

I too agree but my main point is our youth need direction for the most part. And more importantly if each Senator/Congressman/President has a child in service just maybe what you pointed out will be true and they will use all means to settle what ever disput before going to shooting. do you agree?
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:03 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;40608 wrote:
I too agree but my main point is our youth need direction for the most part. And more importantly if each Senator/Congressman/President has a child in service just maybe what you pointed out will be true and they will use all means to settle what ever disput before going to shooting. do you agree?

Of course....so many who are for this war...didn't ever serve in the military, or at least, in active combat.....Bush doesn't compare to Gore....Bush can't compare to Kerry....Dick Cheney never served...these pansies are just that....pansies, cowards, hiding behind the dresses of office.;
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:07 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;39894 wrote:
I was referring the enormous detriment it will become when it bankrupts this nation, and nobody has any measure of social welfare. Let's not be so quick to judge shall we?

Excuse me....but I wish I had been "quicker"....
I have no regard for your position....your lack of compassion is glariingly apparent.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:36 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;40611 wrote:
Excuse me....but I wish I had been "quicker"....
I have no regard for your position....your lack of compassion is glariingly apparent.

So a small bump in welfare for some people NOW, followed by a sharp decline in the welfare of ALL later. Your position is reactionary and fiscally flawed.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:49 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;40621 wrote:
So a small bump in welfare for some people NOW, followed by a sharp decline in the welfare of ALL later. Your position is reactionary and fiscally flawed.
mlurp

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:19 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;39963 wrote:

Quit winning we each pay our share. And I haven't seen one person on SS go without their check so how is it a loss? Sure some get by and get undeserved money. So stop spouting chap and go find and report them. And can you do something about the millions wasted each day to contractors and swindles pet projects to the home front etc., etc.

That is not to say the above shouldn't be done also.
Freeman15

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 12:39 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;40626 wrote:
And you were Marie Antoinette, in another life. And I would be your Robespierre.

The execution of Louis XVI

In December 1792 personal disputes were overshadowed by the question of the king's trial. Here Robespierre took the position that the king must be executed. In his speech on December 3 he said:

"This is no trial; Louis is not a prisoner at the bar; you are not judges; you are — you cannot but be — statesmen, and the representatives of the nation. You have not to pass sentence for or against a single man, but you have to take a resolution on a question of the public safety, and to decide a question of national foresight. It is with regret that I pronounce, the fatal truth: Louis ought to perish rather than a hundred thousand virtuous citizens; Louis must die, so that the country may live."

Robespierre argued that the king, having betrayed the people when he tried to flee the country—and indeed, as Robespierre said, in having been a King in the first place—was a danger to the state as a unifying symbol for the enemies of the Republic.

Your positions are so predictable and typical...are you that boring in real life?

My position is supported by the US Comptroller General. We simply cannot afford the social programs that currently comprise the largest portion of the federal budget (yes, including defense). Your reference to the French Revolution is completely irrelevant, because unlike the peasantry of France during the latter eighteenth century, only a minute portion of Americans live in poverty as a direct result of government action.

Social Security, along with all government-sponsored social welfare programs WILL bankrupt this country. They simply can't be afforded. France and Germany, who have nowhere near as ambitious a foreign policy as the US can't afford it, and consistently run a $2-3 billion deficit. It simply doesn't work.

I'm all for PRIVATE, VOLUNTARY CHARITY. The government's job is to protect your rights to life, liberty, and your justly acquired property from initiated force, period.

I'm actually quite interesting in real life. I ride my motorcycle all across Texas, meet interesting people everyday, have sex with my lady on a pretty regular basis, and read quite a bit of literature on foreign relations and international fiscal policy (a carry-over from my college days). Thanks for asking, it's always nice when somebody takes an interest. Are you interesting in real life? Do tell.

Edit:

Oh, and HERE is proof. You know, that which you never seem to provide.
U.S. Heading For Financial Trouble?, Comptroller Says Medicare Program Endangers Financial Stability - CBS News
Freeman15

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 12:42 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;40631 wrote:
Quit winning we each pay our share. And I haven't seen one person on SS go without their check so how is it a loss? Sure some get by and get undeserved money. So stop spouting chap and go find and report them. And can you do something about the millions wasted each day to contractors and swindles pet projects to the home front etc., etc.

That is not to say the above shouldn't be done also.

We all pay our share, but the output exceeds the input, and thus the program cannot succeed. I am in favor of cutting ALL superfluous government spending, so hell yeah, let's get the pork and pet projects too. Then, we'll cut Congressional pay and slash the military's budget in half (strategic and assymetrical warfare branches recieving the most funding). If you want to start cutting spending, I'm your man.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 08:48 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;40636 wrote:
My position is supported by the US Comptroller General. We simply cannot afford the social programs that currently comprise the largest portion of the federal budget (yes, including defense). Your reference to the French Revolution is completely irrelevant, because unlike the peasantry of France during the latter eighteenth century, only a minute portion of Americans live in poverty as a direct result of government action.

Social Security, along with all government-sponsored social welfare programs WILL bankrupt this country. They simply can't be afforded. France and Germany, who have nowhere near as ambitious a foreign policy as the US can't afford it, and consistently run a $2-3 billion deficit. It simply doesn't work.

I'm all for PRIVATE, VOLUNTARY CHARITY. The government's job is to protect your rights to life, liberty, and your justly acquired property from initiated force, period.

I'm actually quite interesting in real life. I ride my motorcycle all across Texas, meet interesting people everyday, have sex with my lady on a pretty regular basis, and read quite a bit of literature on foreign relations and international fiscal policy (a carry-over from my college days). Thanks for asking, it's always nice when somebody takes an interest. Are you interesting in real life? Do tell.

Edit:

Oh, and HERE is proof. You know, that which you never seem to provide.
U.S. Heading For Financial Trouble?, Comptroller Says Medicare Program Endangers Financial Stability - CBS News

Social Security, solvency and political spin - Eye on the Economy - MSNBC.com
Freeman15

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:48 am
@aaronssongs,

Your article supports my point. I'm not saying SS will fall tomorrow, neither is the Comptroller General. He is saying that SS is unsustainable in the long-run, which your article concluded as well. Thus, we need to phase it out starting now. Thanks for proving my point though, I would've had a hard time without your help.

I really do appreciate you providing a source, it's a welcome change from your rhetoric. Now just base all of your arguments on facts and you might just fix your broken political ideology.

Pull the stick out of your ass, I was lightening the atmosphere of stuffy pseudo-academia atmosphere you try to bring to a message board (funny considering of the two of us, I am the actual academic (B.A. UT)).
0 Replies