The Lack Of Healthcare Coverage

wvpeach

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 09:47 pm
@Freeman15,
It seems we are in total agreement freeman . And you have earned my respect young man. If my beautiful daughter was not already married I would ask you if you were interested and that is no small compliment. I was very particular about who she married as were both of her brothers.

Except because of your youth you have not yet learned that one cannot depend on the charity of the human race .

Take for instance the fact that for 200 to 300 hundred years wealthy families took to cutting all the buttons off clothes they would give to the poor . These were used hand me downs now why cut off the buttons?

Because there was a button shortage? ..... Wrong.

They did it so that the children of those who received these hand me down clothes could be set apart in school as wearing hand me downs. They did it for malicious reasons.

I am sure you will see that in years to come , that one cannot depend upon the charity of humans as a group. If you do you will be sadly disappointed.

Freeman15;39040 wrote:
Then we disagree in principle. I see things like education, roads, police and defense as things that benefit most, if not all of a population, and thus worthy of everybody paying into it. If 96% of a community is recieving nothing for their tax dollars, that does not jive with the idea of limited taxation.

Tax less, encourage community cohesion, and I guarantee charity will provide what you want the government to provide, and they'll do it faster, cheaper, and better.

*Note, all powers listed I advocate at the state level only, save defense, which can be shared.
Freeman15

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:12 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39044 wrote:
It seems we are in total agreement freeman . And you have earned my respect young man. If my beautiful daughter was not already married I would ask you if you were interested and that is no small compliment. I was very particular about who she married as were both of her brothers.

Except because of your youth you have not yet learned that one cannot depend on the charity of the human race .

Take for instance the fact that for 200 to 300 hundred years wealthy families took to cutting all the buttons off clothes they would give to the poor . These were used hand me downs now why cut off the buttons?

Because there was a button shortage? ..... Wrong.

They did it so that the children of those who received these hand me down clothes could be set apart in school as wearing hand me downs. They did it for malicious reasons.

I am sure you will see that in years to come , that one cannot depend upon the charity of humans as a group. If you do you will be sadly disappointed.

We can't depend on charity because we don't have any real sense of community on a large scale. My experience in the middle class has taught me that smaller communities band together and accomplish a great deal, so with the appropriate amount of urging, it is not impossible for larger communities to take care of each other.

As has been mentioned many times, the poor south don't have much, but they tend to take care of each other. Credit the church, family, or southern pride if you want, but even with very little these people are willing to help their neighbors (and even strangers). Now imagine the good that could be done if they had more coin in their pocket, and those already well to do understood the importance of community. Maybe it's just the young idealist in me (though I am usually quite cynical on social programs), but I don't believe Americans will let each other die in the streets en masse.

One thing we don't need is ineffective, often corrupt government agencies dispensing health care. It will eliminate competition among doctors, thus lowering standards, and create a horrible inefficient and costly system. Could this all be theory? Yes, it is, on both sides of the issue (since we don't actually have universal health care, it's all conjecture), but entitlement programs are harder to remove than implement, so we need to think VERY hard about whether or not the same people who tanked our budgetary surplus are fit to handle our medicine.

Thanks for your kind words. If ever I rule this country with an iron fist, your name will be placed on the "Don't purge" list.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:13 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39041 wrote:

I did a simple math calculation based on 300,000 million population a few years ago, and it worked out that if we use the same risk management ratios as the insurance companies who have made billions after billions on health care insurance do . When it all worked out in the wash a single person would pay a premium of about $300 per year. A family of four about $800 per year. ........ Cheaper and better for all of us because we cut out the insurance companies and allow negotiations with the god like pharmaceutical companies.

Risk versus /use Its been profitable for insurance companies to the tune of billions a year for almost a century.

Explain to me why when peoples lives are at stake we should not cut out the middle man( the insurance companies) and as states use the same system to cover everybody at a much reduced cost ?

The simple flaw in this reasoning is that those who can't afford it now, the vast majority won't be affording 800 a year either. OR worse, it will end up going to them free, and i'll have to pay more, and here we are back to square one.

I'm 27, and i pay $68/ every 2 weeks out my paycheck, so 140 a month roughly. My company foots the rest of the premium, like most companies do. Offering health plan is not always a BENEFIT. My company is small. We have 12 total employees. It's not like i work for some huge fortune 500 place with 324234234324 employees.

When one choses a job, they should clearly look into their BENEFITS package. OFFERING health care and having heath care as a benefit are 2 entirely different things.

at my past job, when i was younger, i was paying about 245 every check, or about 480 a month. Health insurance was an OPTION, not a BENEFIT.

Now, i have $5 co-pays, $25 doctor visits, and $50 ER admittance with $10 generic and $20 name brand scrips.

Why would i want to give that up? My premiums are low and pre-tax (to the point where since its pre-tax deduction, it ends up costing me about $3 net a check)

if i get sick or hurt, at most, its costing me 70 bucks for a trip to the ER and a scrip. i usually have at least that in my pocket on any given day cash.

I'd like to see a government health care PLAN available to PURCHASE at a discount rate or whatever for those who want to get on it, don't get it through work, etc.

but i don't want it forced or for everyone to get on it. Hell, i'll pay $100 a year to NOT have gov't health care.
wvpeach

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 04:19 am
@briansol,
Okay freeman and Brian ,

You are both talking from the prospective of where you are at this point in your lives. Your prospective and your medical costs will change with age , you can be sure of that.

And we tie the yearly payment into tags for peoples cars. They don't make their medical payment they do not get tags for their cars.

Sure some poor would have to be subsidized, say at the poverty levels not above the poverty levels we subsidize the payment on a graduating scale.

Because just like once a year you know you have to buy tags for the car, everybody would know they had that insurance payment coming or no tags and there is no excuse to not save that small monthly amount to get health insurance.

So they would be penalized with no tags and no insurance till they did pay. Sure some of the dregs of society would show up in courts having not paid and got caught with expired tags. let the legal system take its coarse and they will either end up in jail or get with the program.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 08:59 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;39086 wrote:
Okay freeman and Brian ,

You are both talking from the prospective of where you are at this point in your lives. Your prospective and your medical costs will change with age , you can be sure of that.

And we tie the yearly payment into tags for peoples cars. They don't make their medical payment they do not get tags for their cars.

Sure some poor would have to be subsidized, say at the poverty levels not above the poverty levels we subsidize the payment on a graduating scale.

Because just like once a year you know you have to buy tags for the car, everybody would know they had that insurance payment coming or no tags and there is no excuse to not save that small monthly amount to get health insurance.

So they would be penalized with no tags and no insurance till they did pay. Sure some of the dregs of society would show up in courts having not paid and got caught with expired tags. let the legal system take its coarse and they will either end up in jail or get with the program.

This still doesn't address the idea of the inept and often corrupt governmental organizations proctoring health care.
0 Replies