Gun Control

scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 12:28 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;29478 wrote:
Scoob, should politically incorrect people be allowed to drive? After all, a car is a very potentially devastating weapon, isn't it? Shouldn't people have to take a 'nanny-state loyalty' oath before getting a driver's license?

do you mean drunk or dangerous drivers ! if so,no i would suspend their license.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 12:37 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29513 wrote:
are you trying to compare guns,to knives,garden tools etc ! ask the police who they would rather face a criminal with a knife or kitchen blender LOL or a criminal with a gun ! that was a vintage post pino LOL

The criminals are not giving up their guns. It is us that will have to defend our homes from thugs with kitchen blenders and spatulas.

Do you know any thieves that use a potato masher as a weapon..?
scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:03 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;29519 wrote:
The criminals are not giving up their guns. It is us that will have to defend our homes from thugs with kitchen blenders and spatulas.

Do you know any thieves that use a potato masher as a weapon..?

i never said criminals were giving up their guns ! we are talking about gun control here,and pino was trying to compare guns with knives kitchen blenders etc,the point im making is the police would rather take someone on with a knife,than a gun,common sense really,dont you think ?
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:07 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29528 wrote:
i never said criminals were giving up their guns ! we are talking about gun control here,and pino was trying to compare guns with knives kitchen blenders etc,the point im making is the police would rather take someone on with a knife,than a gun,common sense really,dont you think ?

Sure, but how is my giving up firearms going to keep deadly weapons from them..? Isn't that the essence of gun control? Taking weapons from law abiding citizens?
92b16vx

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:20 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29528 wrote:

RIght, but police don't take on law abiding citizens, they take on the criminals that still would have guns because gun control LAWS, don't work on people that break the LAW.

Gun control laws are fundamentally wrong to begin with as they do not address the bad guys that have guns, and are only effective in disarming law abiding citizens. They also do not address the causes for gun violence. Guns simply existing is not the cause of gun violence. If my Glock was the only gun on earth, and it sat in my dresser there would be no gun violence, I have to take it out and shoot somebody, but then again, I could just have easily used a bat to bash someones head in, or a chainsaw to dismember them.

How about coming up with punishments that make using a gun in a crime something that the BG's would think twice about.

On a semi related note, there has only been one case in America of a registered machine gun being used in a crime, and funny enough, it was an off duty police officer.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:40 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;29530 wrote:
Sure, but how is my giving up firearms going to keep deadly weapons from them..? Isn't that the essence of gun control? Taking weapons from law abiding citizens?

i live in a country where gun laws are very strict,the US has a gun culture,its part of the country's history,im an outsider,looking in,the police on the beat in the UK,dont even carry guns.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:42 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29538 wrote:
i live in a country where gun laws are very strict,the US has a gun culture,its part of the country's history,im an outsider,looking in,the police on the beat in the UK,dont even carry guns.

You are correct, my friend. That time is long past. Know what they call police without guns? Security guards.
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:19 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;29534 wrote:
RIght, but police don't take on law abiding citizens, they take on the criminals that still would have guns because gun control LAWS, don't work on people that break the LAW.

Gun control laws are fundamentally wrong to begin with as they do not address the bad guys that have guns, and are only effective in disarming law abiding citizens. They also do not address the causes for gun violence. Guns simply existing is not the cause of gun violence. If my Glock was the only gun on earth, and it sat in my dresser there would be no gun violence, I have to take it out and shoot somebody, but then again, I could just have easily used a bat to bash someones head in, or a chainsaw to dismember them.

How about coming up with punishments that make using a gun in a crime something that the BG's would think twice about.

On a semi related note, there has only been one case in America of a registered machine gun being used in a crime, and funny enough, it was an off duty police officer.

clearly they're are a lot of people,who shouldnt be carry guns,and by that i dont just mean criminals.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 02:37 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29550 wrote:
clearly they're are a lot of people,who shouldnt be carry guns,and by that i dont just mean criminals.

Problem is with enforcement. What happened to "use a gun, go to jail"?

Everyone wants enforcement, no one wants more jails in their town. As a result, early release programs have created a revolving door for the thugs. Personally. I like that chap in AZ that makes them sleep in tents in the desert and wear pink underwear.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 03:27 pm
@Drakej,
Amendment II of the Constitution:

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

As the issue of gun control gains prominence due to the ever increasing crime rate, people must ask themselves what would it take to change the second amendment?

Some like those who support the NRA will say that gun control is not the answer but it is the problem. They will argue that taking away the guns from those who are law abiding citizens will only leave the guns in the hands of the criminals. They will argue that a gun does not kill people, but that people kill people.

"There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good person is no threat to anybody, except bad people." - Charleton Heston, NRA President

Did the founding fathers ever envision a nation like what we have today? Did they ever believe that the level of violence, which is reaching epidemic proportions in Philadelphia, the same Philadelphia that they sat in and ratified the constitution, would be facilitated by the ease of obtaining and using guns. Does the second amendment apply in the same fashion today as it did in 1776?

In 1776 the right to bear arms was crucial for a nation that was about resisting tyranny. It was about the ability of a populace to maintain the balance of power with a government through the threat of armed revolt. If the threat of tyranny, which justified the creation the second amendment, no longer exists or is greatly diminished, then what is the justification for maintaining the second amendment in its current form? Many argue that the second amendment is obsolete and does not apply to current state of civilization in the United States. The checks and balances within the government have created a stable government that for the most part, is widely supported by the populace. Tyranny is no longer a legitimate threat.

A much greater threat to an individual’s freedom in today’s society is crime. Specifically crime committed with a gun. Comparison with other democratic societies clearly indicates that gun control when implemented over the long term and under strict enforcement is highly effective at reducing crimes committed with guns. For example, Japan has 120 million people. Philadelphia has 1.5 million people. Japan has a murder rate of 1.1 people killed with a gun per 100,000 people. Philadelphia has a murder rate of 33 people killed per 100,000. There will be over 500 people murdered with guns at the current rate in Philadelphia for 2007. Japan will suffer approximately 132 for their whole country. A city of 1.5 million has almost 4 times as many gun murders then a country of 120 million. Almost 40,000 people are killed with guns in this country each year. That is almost 4 times as many as the rest of the industrial nations combined.

So you say guns are not the cause of the problem. Okay, let’s say we go with that premise. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people right? Well if that is such a valid argument then why doesn’t the US apply that argument to it foreign policy? For example, Iran wants Nuclear weapons. Why not let them have them? After all Nuclear weapons don’t kill people, people kill people, right? Oh but wait, that’s not a fair analogy is it? After all nuclear weapons allow whole cities to be wiped out. It creates the ability to kill many at once. Well isn’t that what guns do? Perhaps on a smaller scale, but the principle is the same. Suppose a guy walks into a school with a knife and attacks people. How many would he kill before he is overpowered? He may get one or two but not much more. Suppose the same guy walks in with guns? No imagination required, just remember Virginia Tech. Tough to do a drive by with a knife if you know what I mean.
Why make it so easy for unstable people to commit murder?
I know….. Gun laws will only take the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. But the criminals will retain them. Perhaps initially, but over time, (most likely a decade) the amount of guns on the street will diminish. Eventually guns will be scarce and expensive and difficult to get under strict enforcement. For the nay sayers, look at any other industrialized nation that enforces strict gun laws. Perhaps you say you need guns for protection? Statistics are not on your side. Statistics show that when a gun is pulled in self defense against a gun toting criminal, the majority of the time the victim is shot and not the criminal. How fast can you draw your gun when you already have one pointed at you? What the Police will tell you is to be compliant with the demands of the criminal. Why do they say this I ask? Is it because they want you to get mugged or raped? No, the answer is because statistics show those who resist or try to shoot it out with the criminals mostly end up dead. So having a gun in your possession doesn’t guarantee your safety, it jeopardizes your safety even further. Now you will say, “what about that time a killer was shooting up a shopping mall and a citizen with a gun killed him before he could do more killing?” I will say it would be a lot less likely to happen if the killer couldn’t get a gun in the first place!
You say, enforce the laws we already have! That is not going to even make a dent in the gun crime. There are so many loop holes it is a mockery of the law. Just go to any gun show or “Trade show” as they are called and you will see the loop holes in action. Then there are the “straw” purchases that criminals have their cohorts make for them to get guns. The Cohorts have no criminal history so they buy guns for the criminal. Enforce the laws in place? Why? They are toothless and full of holes.
You can convince yourself all you want that guns are not the problem. The NRA will love you for it. But the fact is, Guns in combination with bad people create an unacceptable violent society. Guns are all a part of it, to say that they are not is pulling the wool over your eyes. How children are shot each year by playmates or stray bullets?
I guess you should ask the question: Would you give up your right to own a gun if it meant that thousands of lives would be saved each year? What would a good Christian man say in response to that question?
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 03:50 pm
@Drakej,
Dm - well thought out, great effort. Cannot put the bird back in the cage though. We can no more take away our guns than our cars, or cell phones, or blackberries. They are part of human life.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 05:04 pm
@Drakej,
Quote:
In 1776 the right to bear arms was crucial for a nation that was about resisting tyranny. It was about the ability of a populace to maintain the balance of power with a government through the threat of armed revolt. If the threat of tyranny, which justified the creation the second amendment, no longer exists or is greatly diminished, then what is the justification for maintaining the second amendment in its current form?
Quote:
“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”
You'll never get around this. Your forgetting we are a union of states. That means fifty plus little countrys if you will. Each of those states is entitled all by itself as per the quoted statement above.
Quote:
Oh but wait, that’s not a fair analogy is it? [/QUOTE[B]]"shall not be infringed"[/B]
Quote:
After all nuclear weapons allow whole cities to be wiped out. It creates the ability to kill many at once. Well isn’t that what guns do? Perhaps on a smaller scale, but the principle is the same. Suppose a guy walks into a school with a knife and attacks people. How many would he kill before he is overpowered? He may get one or two but not much more. Suppose the same guy walks in with guns? No imagination required, just remember Virginia Tech. Tough to do a drive by with a knife if you know what I mean.
How many kids do you think he would of killed if the 20 plus student that have a permit to carry a gun were allowed to carry that gun on that campus?
Quote:
Because unstable people will always have targets in a free open society. You cannot guard against every thing, in Oklahoma they didn't need a gun to knock down half a building? Just needed cow crap.
Quote:
You say, enforce the laws we already have! That is not going to even make a dent in the gun crime.
What's the percentage of criminals do you think will observe your gun ban? 1% maybe 2? Probably not even that?
Quote:
There are so many loop holes it is a mockery of the law. Just go to any gun show or “Trade show” as they are called and you will see the loop holes in action. Then there are the “straw” purchases that criminals have their cohorts make for them to get guns. The Cohorts have no criminal history so they buy guns for the criminal. Enforce the laws in place? Why?
What do you expect from them, they are criminals?
That is what they do isn't it?
Quote:
They are toothless and full of holes.
To a criminal they aretoothless, to a law abiding citizen it is the law. Why would you seek to penalize them for something a criminal is doing?
Quote:
You can convince yourself all you want that guns are not the problem.
If you buy a gun and never use it, what danger is it to you or others? I have yet to see a gun kill anyone that a human wasn't behind it pulling a trigger. Also it's not the Gun the kills either, it's the high speed projectal that comes out of it that can kill you. Again to accomplish this the mecanical device has to be triggered. Takes a human, sorry.
Quote:
Guns are all a part of it, to say that they are not is pulling the wool over your eyes.
You've got yourself convinced for sure.
Quote:
How children are shot each year by playmates or stray bullets?
How many homes were protected from intruders, how many women were able to fend off an attacker, if not kill him?
Quote:
I guess you should ask the question: Would you give up your right to own a gun if it meant that thousands of lives would be saved each year?
Nope, not a chance in hell.
Quote:
What would a good Christian man say in response to that question?
Eye for an eye. You push i push back harder, all the way up to dead, sorry.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29513 wrote:
are you trying to compare guns,to knives,garden tools etc ! ask the police who they would rather face a criminal with a knife or kitchen blender LOL or a criminal with a gun ! that was a vintage post pino LOL

If the cops don't like their job, they're free to quit. There you go again -- instantly invoking the spirit of BIG BROTHER to defend your views. And yes -- anything that kills can be compared to guns. Anything. Our biggest killing implement in America is the CAR. Should it be banned? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 07:56 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;29573 wrote:
Dm - well thought out, great effort. Cannot put the bird back in the cage though. We can no more take away our guns than our cars, or cell phones, or blackberries. They are part of human life.

:thumbup: What it is, Brohammer. What it is. Dat's a fak, Jack.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :thumbup:
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 09:50 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;29570 wrote:

Learn it, live it, love it. Like it or not, you can not remove one amendment to the constitution without opening a pandoras box of cause and effect legislature that WILL destroy America and call into question the existance of ALL our rights based on it.

Quote:
As the issue of gun control gains prominence due to the ever increasing crime rate, people must ask themselves what would it take to change the second amendment?

Nothing.

Quote:
Some like those who support the NRA will say that gun control is not the answer but it is the problem. They will argue that taking away the guns from those who are law abiding citizens will only leave the guns in the hands of the criminals. They will argue that a gun does not kill people, but that people kill people.

Make an arguement against any of these premisses.

Quote:
"There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good person is no threat to anybody, except bad people." - Charleton Heston, NRA President

Very true, and proven.

Quote:
Did the founding fathers ever envision a nation like what we have today? Did they ever believe that the level of violence, which is reaching epidemic proportions in Philadelphia, the same Philadelphia that they sat in and ratified the constitution, would be facilitated by the ease of obtaining and using guns. Does the second amendment apply in the same fashion today as it did in 1776?

They could have had no idea how society would end up, do you know how American society is going to be in 250 years? As far as if the 2nd applies, yes it does. For instance, there were many in NO that took up arms to defend their neighborhoods in the absense of law enforcement, against rovering gangs taking advantage of the situation.

Quote:
In 1776 the right to bear arms was crucial for a nation that was about resisting tyranny. It was about the ability of a populace to maintain the balance of power with a government through the threat of armed revolt. If the threat of tyranny, which justified the creation the second amendment, no longer exists or is greatly diminished, then what is the justification for maintaining the second amendment in its current form?

It STILL maintains a balance of power, it is a lot more individual, but as a whole, the polulace has the ability to defend itself, even if it has to be against a police state in a dire circumstance. Hitler, Moa, and Stalin all agreed that an unarmed polulace was a good polulace.

Quote:
Many argue that the second amendment is obsolete and does not apply to current state of civilization in the United States. The checks and balances within the government have created a stable government that for the most part, is widely supported by the populace. Tyranny is no longer a legitimate threat.

There's many that would disagree.

Quote:

All the more reason for LAW ABIDING citozens to be able to defend themselves.

Quote:
Comparison with other democratic societies clearly indicates that gun control when implemented over the long term and under strict enforcement is highly effective at reducing crimes committed with guns. For example, Japan has 120 million people. Philadelphia has 1.5 million people. Japan has a murder rate of 1.1 people killed with a gun per 100,000 people. Philadelphia has a murder rate of 33 people killed per 100,000. There will be over 500 people murdered with guns at the current rate in Philadelphia for 2007. Japan will suffer approximately 132 for their whole country. A city of 1.5 million has almost 4 times as many gun murders then a country of 120 million. Almost 40,000 people are killed with guns in this country each year. That is almost 4 times as many as the rest of the industrial nations combined.

Sorry, but the cultural differences are WAY too vast for this to be a valid comparison. And I would like a source for those figures, because what I found was Japan had 1.1 murders per 100,000 it did not specify that they were with a gun. Also a complete list of statistics broken down to include non death related would be better to garner any kind of support over such obviously blanket numbers.

Not too mention, lets get real when comparing those numbers and get some guns per citizen figures in there. Considering that private ownership of guns in Japan is almost non existant, we probably have a thousand times more guns than they do, and yet philly is only going to have five times more guns murders, with a larger population?

Quote:

Because they are religious fanatics that would like to use them on people? Maybe?

Quote:

Hardly, as a matter of fact, it is a proposterous comparison.

Quote:
Suppose a guy walks into a school with a knife and attacks people. How many would he kill before he is overpowered?

A field somewhere in the middle of PA maybe?

Quote:
He may get one or two but not much more. Suppose the same guy walks in with guns? No imagination required, just remember Virginia Tech.

And what would have happened if one, just one of those students had been allowed to carry? Maybe they could have shoot him before he killed more than one or two people. What if's, what ifs, what ifs, they go both ways, not good to use them in an debate.

Quote:

Why make it so hard for stable people to defend themselves.

Quote:

Now you're getting it.

Quote:
But the criminals will retain them. Perhaps initially, but over time, (most likely a decade) the amount of guns on the street will diminish. Eventually guns will be scarce and expensive and difficult to get under strict enforcement.

Kind of like a Japan, that still has over a hundred gun murders a year, with practically absolute private gun ownership forbidden? Don't think so.

Quote:
Perhaps you say you need guns for protection? Statistics are not on your side.

Actually, yes, they are.

Quote:
Statistics show that when a gun is pulled in self defense against a gun toting criminal, the majority of the time the victim is shot and not the criminal.

Really? Prove it.

Quote:
How fast can you draw your gun when you already have one pointed at you? What the Police will tell you is to be compliant with the demands of the criminal. Why do they say this I ask? Is it because they want you to get mugged or raped? No, the answer is because statistics show those who resist or try to shoot it out with the criminals mostly end up dead.

Taking infinite individual possibilities and using then as proof of a point of view is just silly, I can do the samething, and personally intriduce you to people that have fought back and won against assault and rape.

Quote:

Ask ANYONE in Kennesaw Georgia. This town has a law saying every head of household has to own and maintain a firearm, when the law went into effect in 1982 the crime rate DROPPED 74%, and has done nothing but go down since. Kthanx.

Quote:

Ahhh, so we get to the root of the problem, the laws aren't enforced, and suck to begin with, and this is law abiding citizens fault? I guess it would be easier to just make more, and more laws, with government intruding into our lives more and more, as opposed to actually enforcing our laws. The only reason most of those problems is that people, we'll call them criminals, DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAW. Why can't people wrap their heads around this? LAWS ONLY EFFECT PEOPLE THAT OBEY THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Would you give up your right to own a gun if it meant that thousands of lives would be saved each year? What would a good Christian man say in response to that question?

No, I wouldn't, and I do not care because I am not a christian.
0 Replies

tvsej

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
@Drakej,
And using both hands. I always do!
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 07:32 am
@Drakej,
Welcome tvsej, two hands are as close as im getting to gun control.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:29 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;29515 wrote:
do you mean drunk or dangerous drivers ! if so,no i would suspend their license.

No.....I mean right-wing citizens, Scoob. Shouldn't The Nanny State deny them access to such dangerous weapons as vehicles? After all, some might actually be Nazis. Shouldn't they be investigated, de-programmed, re-educated, and made to take an oath of loyalty to The Nanny State in order to be able to drive?Very Happy
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 05:33 pm
@Drakej,
"I pledge allegiance to The Nanny State. I give it permission to regulate and monitor every aspect of my life. I want it in bed with me and my wife, in the potty when I need to wipe my bottom, and fully in charge of the upbringing of my children. I want Big Brother, the chief custodian of The Nanny State, to ride my back, 24/7, just like a great big old monkey, just to make sure I do exactly what I'm supposed to do, according to THE NANNY STATE."
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 01:38 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;13132 wrote:
With the recent happenings at Virginia Tech and in the more recent past Columbine, where do you think the issue of gun control is going to go?

I think they should consider if those students had guns a lot more of them would be alive today. To bad the only gun control we have is that the bad guys still get them, and the good people don't.
0 Replies