Gun Control

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 05:22 pm
@Drakej,
The only way to stop all violence is to wipe the very thought of violence out of our culture and kill those with violent tendencies immediately. We'd have to become quite the dystopian Orwellian society, like in 1984 where the government made a new language in which the very concepts of various crimes did not exist.

Bottom line: it's impossible and even undesirable. There will always be violence. It's been said too many times that guns don't kill people, people kill people. And you certainly can't stop people from killing people.
chuckc cv

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 06:11 pm
@Drakej,
I feel it is impossible to wipe out any thought. I am a firm believer that any punishment should fit the crime. I also believe that not everyone who is in prison is a criminal.

How do we stop violence? We need to look at why violence happens.

Well , I believe the main source criminal activity is greed or maybe envy. "I want something you have, and I will get it at whatever cost."

As a society, I think Amercia is country that holds status is it's highest regard. If it were possible to change American society's priorities we could see profound change. A daunting task, yes.

Some reality, our penal system is a mess and quite ineffective. And, IMO, too financially profitable of a system to dismantle.

Still looking for answers.....
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 10:19 pm
@Reagaknight,
Well i myself am a firm beliver in the right to bear arms. I own a gun that i have primarily for sport or hobby. If the situation came about where i had to take someones life that was threatoning the life of my family, friends, or self. I would not hesitate one second to pull the trigger and use it for the sake of killing. I strongly believe we should have the means to protect ourselves. That is not to say i believe everyone should have a gun, there are too many evil spirited and clinicly deranged people in this country(world). There needs to be some sort of phsychological exam or training similar to police and military. If we say we are going to use these weapons for protection then we should need to go through the same training that the people who protect us do. Also, in the rare case of a draft, citizens who own guns would already be trained. I don't know just an idea, it could work and could not. I do think on the other hand that guns were only invented for the sake of killing i.e. hunting, war, and protection. All with the end result of death. Still i concur with many that it is not the gun that kills, it is the gunner. A gun can not load, charge, and fire itself.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 08:28 pm
@Drakej,
My biggest thing is Education for the general public. If people had a better understanding of guns and where not influenced by the media spin doctors only. It is sad that the only experience that most people have with any sort of firearms is from t.v. and other media outlets. It is hard to understand something when you do not have all of the facts. It really is an uphill battle.

Also in regards to training, psychic evaluations ect. Our police force needs this just as much as every johnny gun owner needs. If not more in some cases. One thing I have experienced here in Spokane is the excessive use of tasers. In the past 3 years I have lived here there have been 5 taser related deaths. Some police officers and military personal only pick up a firearm when they qualify be it once a year or once a quarter. To me this is not good. If you are given a tool, guns in this case, you need to know it inside and out. Every little part of it if your life depends on it. The pistol I own, that stays locked in my safe at all times unless I am going to the range or traveling back home, I know every detail about it. I can completely strip it to a naked frame and re assemble it in a matter of minutes. Bear in mind this is not a tool that my life depends on but if it ever came down to it I know for certain that I can use it in a safe capable matter.

As I mentioned previously it is sad that the few ruin it for the many. And believe me any true pro firearm person out there will be very upset and hurt if anyone uses a firearm in a negligent or inappropriate way. But a lot of that neglect and abuse is due to lack of education. If people would take the time to understand the things they fear instead of building a wall of hatred/fear then it would be a lot better. And that thought applies to every thing.
trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:32 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;15391 wrote:

Also in regards to training, psychic evaluations ect. Our police force needs this just as much as every johnny gun owner needs. If not more in some cases. .

I'm sorry but i have to comment on this. In any of the cases i have studied here in houston, I see no missuse of a tazzer. This argument can go back and forth i know. Here in houston, there have been between 5 to 10 tazer related deaths and a whole lot more successfull uses of the tazer. Here is my argument. If someone is trying to assult you are you going to say wait one second stoned out of your mind person who is trying to attack me, do you have any medical conditions that may cause you to die if i taze you and you continue to attack me and i taze you more and this goes on untill you are dead. In all of the cases i have read about in various articles, the person who dies either has a medical condition that the tazer induces or refuses to comply with the police officer. Wether or not it is too much really depends on the situation. You have to remember that police officers much like our military men and woman also have a duty to protect themeselves as well as everyone around them. In one recent case, if the police officer would have stopped tazing this person he or someone around him or both would have got hurt or killed. It seems you are falling into the same spiral you detest.

not to mention that they do go through those kinds of tests as well as simulations. You have to be aware of what is around your target, behind, in front of, on either sides and what path the bullet could take after it hits the target if it goes all the way through. these kinds of things are all covered in training.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:51 pm
@Drakej,
I mis spoke in my previous post I did not change gears well. My point was that no matter what there are going to be accidents or deaths regardless of how you try and defuse a situation. My point was to illustrate that any thing can be used to kill someone even less lethal or non lethal techniques. I saw a news article about someone being killed with a toilet seat. So that kinda goes to show if its handy it can be used as a weapon.
trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 09:56 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;15399 wrote:
I mis spoke in my previous post I did not change gears well. My point was that no matter what there are going to be accidents or deaths regardless of how you try and defuse a situation. My point was to illustrate that any thing can be used to kill someone even less leather or non leather techniques. I saw a news article about someone being killed with a toilet seat. So that kinda goes to show if its handy it can be used as a weapon.

Oh yeah, anything can be used as a weapon they teach that in special forces trainning. Not that i know first hand, but i have talked to people who do. Like that tin box of eclipse breath mints sitting on my desktop, i can think of a few ways to use it as a weapon. But for sake of keeping this from going to a "i would use it for this...." thread, i'll leave it at that.Very Happy
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:39 am
@Drakej,
I have an off idea. Most murders are NOT comitted by "criminals" Most murders (according to wiki) ae commented by law abiding citizens. Crimes of passion, crimes of frustration, and accidental homicide... IF these peopl e no longer have legl access to guns, when there passion rises they WONT have a gun to kill someone with.

Just a thought I type this with 6 guns withint two steps of me.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:44 pm
@Drakej,
Following that kind of logic you should not allow them to have a kitchen knife handy or a phone, or there hands. If we just cut off everyones hands we wouldn't have a problem now would we? It is up to each person to be responsible for them selves. If you have a serious rage issue or something along those lines you need to take responsibility for that. Just because a hand full of people make the wrong decisions does not mean that other law abiding citizens should be chastised for it.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:13 pm
@Drakej,
You dont have to have rage issues. You can lose control ONCE.

Do me a favor if you are going to respond to a post, try and keep it to the post, We can add 1000 hypotheticals as changing the parameters to make any point falliable.

For instance I could attach tou your post, and say"By that logic, we should also have our feet removed so as not to be able t push the gas pedal."
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:07 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;13132 wrote:
With the recent happenings at Virginia Tech and in the more recent past Columbine, where do you think the issue of gun control is going to go?

It's hard to say. Americans have a strong, strong tradition of gun ownership, and consider it solidly anchored in the US Constitution. But......they are also on the verge of re-electing the Clinton Mafia to the Presidency, which means they're toying with ideas of instituting some degree of gun control (e.g., that's one of the primary objectives of the Clintons). While we won't give up our guns any time soon, Hillary will certainly do her best to complicate gun ownership in the coming years. Bottom line: I think we're safe for now. :thumbup:
92b16vx

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:37 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;25362 wrote:
they are also on the verge of re-electing the Clinton Mafia to the Presidency, which means they're toying with ideas of instituting some degree of gun control (e.g., that's one of the primary objectives of the Clintons). While we won't give up our guns any time soon, Hillary will certainly do her best to complicate gun ownership in the coming years. Bottom line: I think we're safe for now. :thumbup:

Maybe, even if they don't get elected, I am buying up the ammo I can afford, getting my SBR, and maybe a couple WASR 10s to sell once they get banned again.
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 08:37 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;25372 wrote:
Maybe, even if they don't get elected, I am buying up the ammo I can afford, getting my SBR, and maybe a couple WASR 10s to sell once they get banned again.

You're into more serious firepower. I just collected my stuff as I went along. I don't need any more guns, although I can think of some military rifles I'd like to own.
92b16vx

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 08:43 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;25403 wrote:
You're into more serious firepower. I just collected my stuff as I went along. I don't need any more guns, although I can think of some military rifles I'd like to own.

If I collected everything I liked I'd be broker than I am Smile All my guns are practical, Glock for up close, Ak close to long medium, and the .308 for reaching out and touching. I'd like to get a .12 gauge for the house, but who wants to clean up someones head from the walls?
Drakej

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:17 pm
@Drakej,
Well they have already got the ball rolling. HR1022 Granted it may never make it out of the review process but still the thought is still there.
92b16vx

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:05 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;25411 wrote:
Well they have already got the ball rolling. HR1022 Granted it may never make it out of the review process but still the thought is still there.

The AWB is quite possibly the most useless piece of gun control legislature EVER.

For one thing, the amount of crimes commited with assault rifles is almost neglgible, and banning things like flash suppresors, bayonet lugs, and collapsible stocks is proof, I mean really, give me break, how many people were bayoneted last year? It is a proven fact that crime with assault weapons did NOT increase when the ban sunsetted. It is 100% PURE lipservice to the democrat douchebags.

Anyone that knows anything about guns knows this, and since NFA weapons, full auto, supressors, short barreled rifles, and AOWs are not even covered in HR 1022, it's more of a joke. Most people don't even know that NFA weapons are not covered by it, of course most people think they are completely illegal, which they are not. And with the flood of assault type weapons that hit the market after the sunset, it is pretty much useless, and is only going to drive up prices for legal purchasers, which are the ONLY people that care about the ban anyway.

Stupid ******* democrats.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:41 am
@Drakej,
Exactly, I wish I could find the PDF that is comprised of very well thought out and fully cited counter points to pretty much every Pro Gun Ban thought ever uttered. You are absolutely correct that these kinds of bans are pointless but like in the past it is possible for this to come through. It bothers me that so much time, effort and tax payers dollars are used to "prevent" the crazies from killing police officers and innocent men women and children.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 05:56 am
@Drakej,
The embedded in the constitution comment is always good for a laugh. When the Right to own and bear arms came into existence, I highly doubt that they had machine guns in mind.
92b16vx

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:18 am
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;25427 wrote:
The embedded in the constitution comment is always good for a laugh. When the Right to own and bear arms came into existence, I highly doubt that they had machine guns in mind.

Society "progressed", technology progressed, that does not mean that our rights went away because things got better, if anything, with the number of voilent crimes on the raise, today MORE than back then we need to be able to defend ourselves. I'm sure they didn't have flag burning in mind either, but that doesn't mean our 1st amendment rights are no longer valid.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:38 am
@Drakej,
One of he few things we agree on 92.
0 Replies