People who treat those closest to them with contempt but at the same tym show concern for new people

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 04:49 am
I have noticed this peculiar behaviour. Certain individuals do not appreciate people who are close to them, their subordinates, colleagues, wife, children etc. The more closely the individual is interacting with a person over a period of time, the more he will lose concern for the person. He will treat them with a sense of contempt. But at the same time such an individual will normally be really interested in interacting with new people, for whom they have a keen interest...even though it may be short-lived. But if that new person stays with the individual long enough most probably he too will be treated with contempt. So my question is ...what is the underlying cause of this behaviour which I feel is very detrimental for the emotional well being of the individual.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,538 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:37 am
Reasons? boredom, familiarity, lack of excitement, need to impress. These are all characteristics of a person who uses others and is not capable of long-term relationships.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:42 am
@renegade1,
Quote:
Familiarity breeds contempt, while rarity wins admiration.
--Lucius Apuleius (c. 125 – c. 180)

I think it's really about how meeting someone new is full of possibility.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 09:06 am
@renegade1,
Don't you just wish husbands and wives would give each other the same respect they give to total strangers?
Germlat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 09:15 am
@roger,
Some do...some even even special treatment
0 Replies