Does truth matter anymore?

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 02:32 pm
It seems that there is an increasing willingness to lie to get what is wanted, without any fear of penalty once that lie is found out, from individuals, corporations, governments, NGO's.....

It seems that people increasingly believe that they are being lied to.

Science is increasingly in disrepute, and "junk science" seems to be on the rise where it is not truth that is wanted, but a claim that supports an preexisting opinion

Philosophy is nearly dead

People increasingly seem to have trouble or be completely unable to separate truth from fiction

People seem increasingly drawn to their fantasy worlds, presumably to escape the real world

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
You cant handle the truth
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 03:19 pm
What the hell is the truth?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 03:22 pm
I have always enjoyed eschewing the truth.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 03:23 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Tell us something new, gustav!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:53 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
I always though you enjoyed eschewing tobacco
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 05:54 pm
Hawkeye: You do live in a world of your own limits and definitions. You dislike science. You fail to realize that the problem is not pure science but science that has been corrupted in the name of peddling medicines that are worse than the disease they aim to cure and in developing new plastics, carcinogens and cleaning products we do not need.

When figures who are held to be philosophers, like Leo Strauss, preach lying, what else do you expect?
JTT

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you saying that Civics 101 wasn't all it has been cracked up to be?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:18 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
You dislike science
I do? I trained as an engineer, and I am constantly calling on a2k for documentation of claims, scientific if possible.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:20 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Are you saying that Civics 101 wasn't all it has been cracked up to be?
I graduated High School 1980, civics was by then already out of the curriculum where I was. I was not saying this but yes, we need to get back to teaching it. I think that we were traumatized by the radicals during the 1960's, we did some very stupid things trying to appease them.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
WRONG! Civics is just about the role of citizens in the government. Period. Nothing else. Government or political science is what should be taught. Very few people are qualified to teach it and those that are don't want to while there are right wing parents who would write their kids out of such classes.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 06:38 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Civics is just about the role of citizens in the government
really?? I never took the class, but I am told that a big part of it was teaching a message about a persons responsibility towards others. Another part was about how we dont have a right to bitch about what other people do unless what they do harms our freedom to choose for ourselves. Both righties and lefties would sign their kids out of this class if it was ever taught again, if the parents were allowed to do so....neighter side wants to hear that it is not all about them, and that they should not run around trying to tell everyone else what to do.
plainoldme

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
You just described the role of the citizen. Believe me, civics is a watered down class that is offered when there is no one competent to teach goverment.

Righties are always signing their kids out of classes when they -- the right, that is -- fears a lost of control.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 07:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

I don't think we ever got the truth.

You gotta learn to read between the lines if you want that!
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:55 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
You gotta learn to read between the lines if you want that!

Ain't that the truth, MsOlga....
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Ain't that the truth, MsOlga....
I have aways though truth is a lot like calculus, you are forever trying to get as close to the real deal as you can, and if you do a good job you can get pretty close.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:31 am
The truth has never mattered. Belief matters. People will act on beliefs. They won't act on truth, that is unless they believe it.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:18 am
the truth of the matter is, a hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:38 am
Have a look at The Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle, by Chris Hedges. Very much about this topic. Overly long and uneven, but the main points it makes are very important and make for sobering reading.

My take: fantasy is a lot easier to deal with than reality, and too much of the modern world is aimed at making the world a safe place for the ignorant.

Plus I was just given a copy of Idiot America: How Stupidity became a Virtue in the Land of the Free, by Charles Pierce. Also addresses this theme.
William

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:50 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

We are just now finding that path. I hope you will come along with us. It will be an amazing journey and it will last forever.

William
0 Replies