CNN is so lame!

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:04 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;8600 wrote:
Oh my lord - I can't believe what I just read.

1. While we live in the "Americas" that does not make us Americans. Only the United States of America and its citizens are called "Americans". Where did you learn this? There is no such thing as "Canadian-Americans" I can assure you of that. The US would like to turn us all into states of the USA but at this point in time that does not exist.

2. If you look at WW1 and WW2 you will see that Canada provided a military contribution in GREATER proportion to population and economic resources than did the USA. No we have never been attacked in the last 100 years. The USA has also not been attacked on the Continental US. Hawaii is a different story. If you want to belittle the Canadian Military - while we are not great and do not have the economic resources to sustain a large military, take a look at the great job that we are doing in Afghanistan. I assume that you do know a little about Afghanistan.

3. Yes America is like the arrogant high school jock. The world hopes that America will gain some wisdom in order to be a "benevolent ruler" but that has not been seen yet.

4. Canada is nowhere near as "fascistic" as the US. Just look at your HMO structure. Look at who wins from the war on Iraq. Just think US Military Industrial complex. Think Halliburton profiting. Think industrial lobby groups. Where do "Citizens" come into play in Washington?

5. What is the logic that you use that somehow correlates your ability to play Chess with your ability to debate and discuss a topic in these forums? As a side note - being able to spell words and use proper grammar does more to indicate how much validity your comments should be given.

1. Really. You'll always be American to me.

2. got link?
"The USA has also not been attacked on the Continental US. "
What do you call 9/11?
Why would i belittle the canadian military, they are a great ally.
Afgan, sure i do. We were the first in.

3. If we are jocks then we answer to no other then the coach. Looks like you lost there too.

4. lookin in through the out door.

5. So i take it you don't play chess? I thought sense the debate wasn't going so well for you, you might wanna relieve a little tension and play?
Quote:
As a side note - being able to spell words and use proper grammar does more to indicate how much validity your comments should be given.

That must be coming from some one who never makes a mistake? In any case i don't give two hoots how i spell or grammeritizzze. Don't like, don't read.
z0z0

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 06:05 am
@Drnaline,
Normally I try to keep personal attacks out of discussions but sometimes I like to take the discussion to the "lower levels". I try to bring forth logical arguments yet you reply with pithy one liners that do not really add to the conversation.

I did not concede that the debate was going poorly for me. While I may not play chess, at least I know how to spell the words that I use in this discussion. Your arrogance about not needing to know how to spell or use grammar is also indicative of your low requirement for logical thought in discussion as well.

Notable is your arrogance and ignorance "You will always be an American to Me". What does that mean? Canadians have never been Americans. We are brothers since we spring from the same parent - Britain - but we are not one nor are we twins.

About your "coach" comment. Who is the coach? Remember that there are other teams and other coaches as well. Few teams win all the time and coaches get changed quite often. Coaches are usually the easiest and first to blame for poor team performance. The funny thing about "jocks" is that they rarely amount to much after high-school. They perpetually dwell on their high school glory because they have no other success in life - think of Al Bundy in Married with Children.

As for "lookin in through the out door." While I am envious of the powerful American economy and military I am not envious of the lack of wisdom. Sociological studies show that Americans are some of the least happiest people on this planet. I do enjoy living beside the USA but I am glad that I do not live in the USA. I can learn from the US but I do not have to be brainwashed by the US.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:46 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;8622 wrote:
Normally I try to keep personal attacks out of discussions but sometimes I like to take the discussion to the "lower levels". I try to bring forth logical arguments yet you reply with pithy one liners that do not really add to the conversation.

I did not concede that the debate was going poorly for me. While I may not play chess, at least I know how to spell the words that I use in this discussion. Your arrogance about not needing to know how to spell or use grammar is also indicative of your low requirement for logical thought in discussion as well.

Notable is your arrogance and ignorance "You will always be an American to Me". What does that mean? Canadians have never been Americans. We are brothers since we spring from the same parent - Britain - but we are not one nor are we twins.

About your "coach" comment. Who is the coach? Remember that there are other teams and other coaches as well. Few teams win all the time and coaches get changed quite often. Coaches are usually the easiest and first to blame for poor team performance. The funny thing about "jocks" is that they rarely amount to much after high-school. They perpetually dwell on their high school glory because they have no other success in life - think of Al Bundy in Married with Children.

As for "lookin in through the out door." While I am envious of the powerful American economy and military I am not envious of the lack of wisdom. Sociological studies show that Americans are some of the least happiest people on this planet. I do enjoy living beside the USA but I am glad that I do not live in the USA. I can learn from the US but I do not have to be brainwashed by the US.
Quote:

I don't mind stuping to your level as well. The good thing about debate forums is you do not control what any one else says. This makes the third pithy line so that blows that theory all to hell.
Quote:

I did not say you conceeded, it is my opinion. Knowing how to spell and use grammer is no gaurantee you won't make a mistake. or are you perfect? Arrogance crosses our American/Canadian border. We are having a casual discussion and we are not writing formally to each other. Do you correct people when they mispronounce a word when they are there in person? If you do then you got grounds, if not?
Quote:

It's ok to be a hater. I understand your envee. Never is a strong word. One i know you can't live up to. Ok, my little brother, you go play thinking your CanadiEurope.
Quote:

By the sound of it you must not have jocks on your side of the boarder. Plenty of coachs willing to deal blame it seems.
Quote:

You probably wouldn't of grasped the wisdom of Churchill either back in the day. I can understand why you like living next to us, we are you protectors. Canada has never really had to fight for what it believed in. The only reason Canada is around is because most that moved there were loyal to the crown while we were fighting against them for our independence. By the way when did you declare your independence? Funny you think us brainwashed but you learned your view from someone/thing. Your so arrogant of what you belief to be fact that to you there is no common ground.

I took the time to spellcheck the first page of your posts.
Heres what i found.

"So" has only one "o."

Dumbing, dumbed are not words used in spellcheck. Which is ironic when you use said word to put us down.

"Westpoint" the P is capitolized

"FOx" is either FOX or Fox.

There were numberous grammar infractions which state: Fragment (consider revising)
So you sure ain't perfect. Funny you expect other to be. I think some one said, put up or shut up?

If you'd like me to go through the second page let me know.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:28 am
@Drnaline,
I can see now what your conclusions and opinions are based on: poor historical knowledge.

"It's ok to be a hater." Where did I state anything about hate?

"I understand your envee. Never is a strong word. " - Can you show me at what time in history has any part of Canada been a part of the USA? Canada has never been a part of the USA.

"go play thinking your CanadiEurope." - Where did I say anything about CanadiEurope? Interesting word - where did it come from? Never heard it before.

"Plenty of coachs willing to deal blame it seems." - I said that the coach is many times the first to get fired because the blame for losing put on him. I did not say that the coach deals blame but that the coach IS blamed.

"Canada has never really had to fight for what it believed in." - Do you know anything about WW1, WW2 or Korea? Canada entered WW1 and WW2 before the Americans did. The US entered both wars only after they made substantial profits from selling weapons and after the enemy forces were softened up by the Allied powers. The US has never fought to defend Canada because there has been no external military threat to North America.

Three things that symbolize the major difference between Canadians and Americans:

- we did not have a revolutionary war because we knew how to talk to Britain in order to establish our nation.
- we did not have a civil war because we knew how to solve our internal political problems through the civil political process
- we never had a slave society.

The major difference between Canada and the US today is that we now we are part of the world. The US feels that they are the rulers of the world.

About being brainwashed - Did you look at the link I provided for the BBC documentary "Century of the Self"? You might be surprised what you learn. I look forward to discussing it once you have viewed it.
BBC - BBC Four Documentaries - The Century of the Self

Grab it here

I concede that I make mistakes. I am not perfect either. My mistakes are more often than not the cause of poor typing.

In ending - let's stop the personal attack and actually discuss the topic at hand.
"Dumbing Down" - see Dumbing down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"One-Liner" - One-liner joke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 11:22 am
@Drnaline,
Two articles about CNN

CNN controversies and allegations of bias
CNN controversies and allegations of bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CNN (Humorously) Practices the Art of Character Assassination
CJR Daily: CNN (Humorously) Practices the Art of Character Assassination

CNN Bias In Coverage Of Crisis
Subzero Blue: CNN Bias In Coverage Of Crisis

Those Aren't Stones, They're Rocks
Those Aren't Stones, They're Rocks

CNN Moving Right: Hires 3 More Conservatives
CNN Bias

The Media's Reporting and Distorting of Public Opinion Toward Entitlements
UMN Political Science - Faculty - Lawrence Jacobs: POLLWATCH: THE MEDIA'S REPORTING AND DISTORTING OF PUBLIC OPINION TOWARD ENTITLEMENTS

Anyone ever watch the Daily Show?
Jon Steward does a great job showing how bad CNN is.
YouTube - Daily Show I Report for CNN mock
YouTube - Daily Show Nails CNN's North Korea Coverage
YouTube - CNN: The most trusted name in AHHHH!

Fascism & Democracy in America
YouTube - Fascism & Democracy in America
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:58 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
In ending - let's stop the personal attack and actually discuss the topic at hand.
"Dumbing Down" - see Dumbing down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can, if you do. Dumbing down works both ways. Keep it as a discussion and not a fact. Merely someone's opinion of what he see's. I'll gladly input once i see it.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 08:21 pm
@Drnaline,
What do you mean by "Dumbing down works both ways."?

Are you saying that the American masses are not being "dumbed down"?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:12 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
What do you mean by "Dumbing down works both ways."?
I will approach it as a discussion. I will not assume you are one of the dumbed down, just a participent of the subject discussion. I hope you can assume the same of me.
Quote:
Are you saying that the American masses are not being "dumbed down"?

I am saying this American is not. You are assuming the this whole theory of "dumbing down is working? From your wiki link.
Quote:
Dumbing down is a dysphemism for a perceived over-simplification of, amongst others, education, news and television.

From the wiki
Quote:
dysphemism definition:
In language, both dysphemism and cacophemism refer to the usage of an intentionally harsh word or expression instead of a polite one; they are rough opposites of euphemism. "Dysphemism" may be either offensive or merely humorously deprecating, while "cacophemism" is usually deliberately offensive.

Do you think the term, "dumbing down" is ment humorous or offensive? for sure it's at least "intentionally harsh word or expression instead of a polite one."
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:25 pm
@Drnaline,
"Dumbing Down" is a fact. Of course it will be offensive if it is directed at your society and you do not know how to take criticism and learn from it. It is not YOUR fault that your society is being dumbed down. The dumbing down phenomenon is part of the government strategy for easier social control. The last thing the government wants is a highly sophisticated populace that will be able to see through the government bullshit (fascism).

I did not mean to imply that YOU are dumb. My comment was about society as a whole. It is a proven fact that Americans have some of the lowest levels of knowledge of society geography.

The benefit to having a dumb society is that you can more easily amuse them with "Bread and Circuses". That is why sports and celebrities are so popular in the USA. There is more reporting about sports and celebrities than on "Real News". I laugh when I see guys that can talk about sports statistics and players for the last two decades but they have no clue about political or world issues. (Note- having an opinion does not mean actually knowing something of relevance)

Why is America so powerful still? It imports a lot of BRAINS. Just look at all the engineers that come to USA from other countries in the world. Once you start putting all these pieces together you will realize that I am right.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:56 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;8662 wrote:
"Dumbing Down" is a fact. Of course it will be offensive if it is directed at your society and you do not know how to take criticism and learn from it. It is not YOUR fault that your society is being dumbed down. The dumbing down phenomenon is part of the government strategy for easier social control. The last thing the government wants is a highly sophisticated populace that will be able to see through the government bullshit (fascism).

I did not mean to imply that YOU are dumb. My comment was about society as a whole. It is a proven fact that Americans have some of the lowest levels of knowledge of society geography.

The benefit to having a dumb society is that you can more easily amuse them with "Bread and Circuses". That is why sports and celebrities are so popular in the USA. There is more reporting about sports and celebrities than on "Real News". I laugh when I see guys that can talk about sports statistics and players for the last two decades but they have no clue about political or world issues. (Note- having an opinion does not mean actually knowing something of relevance)

Why is America so powerful still? It imports a lot of BRAINS. Just look at all the engineers that come to USA from other countries in the world. Once you start putting all these pieces together you will realize that I am right.
Here we go again.
From your wiki link.
Quote:
The concept "dumbing down" can point to a variety of different things but the concept always involves a claim about the simplification of culture, education, and thought.

According to them it's just a concept. Which includes a claim. Neither of them in my eyes are facts. Also "phenomenon" isn't always proven to be a fact either.
Quote:
It is a proven fact that Americans have some of the lowest levels of knowledge of society geography.

So society geography is a prerequisite to not being dumb
Quote:

So how does the import of the superbrains offset the dumbasses? You would think if flushes but it most not for our brains to still fall, got a percentage?
"It imports a lot of BRAINS." Arn't all our brains imported at one time or another in this country and yours?
I have put all these things together, the only thing i realize is that would take a pretty big conspiracy.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:56 am
@Drnaline,
The Wiki discusses what the concept of "dumbing down" is. It does not discuss which societies are being dumbed down. Just because the wiki does not state that the US is being dumbed down does not mean that it has not been dumbed down.

Social geography is an important topic for a nation that wants to claim world superpower status. How do you expect people to make informed political decisions when they vote if they do not know where countries are or what the issues are. Do you even know the history of the Middle East?

Is it a big conspiracy? It is a big issue but when the power-base in Washington i small then it is not difficult to carry out the agenda. In society you only need about 5% to 10% of the people to be intelligent to help the society move forward and for technological development to occur. The informed opinion of the educated and sophisticated is later outweighed by the votes of the unsophisticated masses.

The premise of democracy is that one thousand idiots can make a better decision than one educated man.

Did you watch the documentary "Century of the Self"?
I am serious - watch that and then return to discuss.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:35 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;8666 wrote:
The Wiki discusses what the concept of "dumbing down" is. It does not discuss which societies are being dumbed down. Just because the wiki does not state that the US is being dumbed down does not mean that it has not been dumbed down.

Social geography is an important topic for a nation that wants to claim world superpower status. How do you expect people to make informed political decisions when they vote if they do not know where countries are or what the issues are. Do you even know the history of the Middle East?

Is it a big conspiracy? It is a big issue but when the power-base in Washington i small then it is not difficult to carry out the agenda. In society you only need about 5% to 10% of the people to be intelligent to help the society move forward and for technological development to occur. The informed opinion of the educated and sophisticated is later outweighed by the votes of the unsophisticated masses.

The premise of democracy is that one thousand idiots can make a better decision than one educated man.

Quote:

Not saying so doesn't make it true either.
Quote:

Important topic maybe, but not essential. I expect people who want to make an informed decision to inform themselves. It is no others job then oneself. The decisions we vote on pertain to how they effect us. Just as you would take your interest at heart , we do the same.
Quote:
Is it a big conspiracy? It is a big issue but when the power-base in Washington i small then it is not difficult to carry out the agenda.
I would say i know more then the average person about the middle east if not then is a click button away..

So we agree it's not a conspiracy? How is it possible to carry out such an agenda with no conspiring. To get such an agenda off the ground i would think it would have to be a bipartisan effort?
Quote:
In society you only need about 5% to 10% of the people to be intelligent to help the society move forward and for technological development to occur.

Agreed, less then ten percent is all that's required to make this planet go round.
Quote:
The informed opinion of the educated and sophisticated is later outweighed by the votes of the unsophisticated masses.

In a majority system that is what keeps the intellects in check. Just because they may see something as good for you, does not mean the less intellegent will see it your way. Take global warming. The intellects says we should cut down yet they still fly every where they need to be, they drive the limo's and suv's. What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander?
Quote:

It seems to work for us well, we are who we are. The only remaining superpower, not bad for a bunch of idiots. We feed ourselves and half the world. We've nurchured many a democratic state, some of them very successfull. Were not perfect but never clamed to be. Maybe just a better idea we have seemed to prove works? Some democracys much older then us have not faired so well.
Quote:

Not yet, when i have i will comment.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:08 am
@Drnaline,
I do not want to spend time educating you when I would rather debate.

Are you saying that it is a good thing that the dumb people keep the smart people in check?

Are you sure that the American Democracy is not in fact a charade? A facade that gives people th impression of political power when in fact they actually have none?

I can't believe that understanding geopolitical politics is not essential.

Tell me this - would you prefer to read the Bible yourself and draw your own informed conclusions or that a priest reads the Bible and then tells you what to think? In the same way - CNN and other US media sources do not give you all the facts that you need to create your own opinion. They are very good though at telling you what to think.

Is there anyone else here that is interested in discussing
Or is this place not very active?
markx15

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:42 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
Are you saying that it is a good thing that the dumb people keep the smart people in check

It is good in an everybody for themselves scenario, you see the "smart" people do not always have the rests best interests in mind.

Quote:

I agree with you that at least a rudimentary understanding of the worlds geopolitical in necessary, because the space we live in directly influences how we live there.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:16 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;8672 wrote:

Are you saying that it is a good thing that the dumb people keep the smart people in check?

Are you sure that the American Democracy is not in fact a charade? A facade that gives people th impression of political power when in fact they actually have none?

Tell me this - would you prefer to read the Bible yourself and draw your own informed conclusions or that a priest reads the Bible and then tells you what to think? In the same way - CNN and other US media sources do not give you all the facts that you need to create your own opinion. They are very good though at telling you what to think.

Quote:

No one is asking you to spend the time, why are you here?
Quote:

You have alot of nerve saying every one you see as not to your standard "dumb." According to the way you think, yes it would seem the dumb keep the smart in check.
Quote:
Are you sure that the American Democracy is not in fact a charade?

You got proof otherwise?
Quote:
A facade that gives people th impression of political power when in fact they actually have none?

Give impressions? That impression is how they keep power hungry intellects at bay. If they had no power why are you here complaing about how the intellects know better and the idiots should just realise it? Looks like the intellect is the odd man out.
Quote:

Not in this country, maybe in yours. If it were essential, then there would not be a need for discussion.
Quote:
Tell me this - would you prefer to read the Bible yourself and draw your own informed conclusions or that a priest reads the Bible and then tells you what to think?

A priest has never told me what to think, You? I've done both, the story's seem to be the same.
Quote:
In the same way - CNN and other US media sources do not give you all the facts that you need to create your own opinion. They are very good though at telling you what to think.

And you think the BBC gives you all the facts, good one!
Quote:

If you can't get passed me your chances aren't very good. Maybe you should of said you would like to discuss with others like minded? I'm as active as they get, wanna rock and roll?
z0z0

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:30 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;8675 wrote:
If you can't get passed me your chances aren't very good. Maybe you should of said you would like to discuss with others like minded? I'm as active as they get, wanna rock and roll?

Let me be blunt. Following your comment about geopolitics not being essential I can see that there is not of value for the two of us to discuss. Hopefully we will each find someone of an appropriate level to discuss things with.

There are reasons that someone can't get past you.
I bet I could also not discuss quantum physics with you either.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:38 pm
@z0z0,
It is not up to you to "value" what, if anything is discussed. Do you end any discussion like this when your way of thinking is not acheived?
Quote:
There are reasons that someone can't get past you.

The opinion seems to differ from time to time.
Quote:
I bet I could also not discuss quantum physics with you either.

If i took the bet, you would be wrong. Why is it some are dumbed down for your intellect yet you'll not discuss quantum physics with a person baised on some premise of a moniker he reads or interprites that person to be?
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:23 am
@Drnaline,
Here is an interesting movie for you

IDIOCRACY

Idiocracy (2006)

Joe Bauer, an Army librarian, is judged to be absolutely average in every regard, has no relatives, has no future, so he's chosen to be one of the two test subjects in a top-secret hibernation program. He and hooker Rita were to awaken in one years, but things go wrong and they wake up instead in 2505. By this time, stupid people have outbred intelligent people; the world is (barely) run by morons--and Joe and Rita are the smartest people in America.

http://ia.ec.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/68/03/21/10m.jpg
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:49 pm
@z0z0,
And after i see it, get back to you so we can discuss?
0 Replies

GeeWBushinator

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:18 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;8599 wrote:
Are you located some where in North AMERICA? If you are that makes you American. Even if you lived in South America, guess what, your still American.

That's nice coming from some one who has never had to defend himself because your big brother is around.
You forgot, "and will kick your ass at the slitest provocation", LOL.

[SIZE="2"]Nice Try, but since when? This is one nation that the US has never beaten, not for lack of trying. Even the use of sophisticated military equip requires ambition and intelligence, both missing from the US landscape for quite a few years[/SIZE]

So why were you in the military, still had some jock itch from high school?

Welcome to North AMERICA Now sit down and eat your spinich so you can do some thing about it.

Using your definition Canada falls into it as well. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

What's worse, Not knowing where your going or following some one who knows not where there going?

Keep picking your self up higher, your almost on a pedastal. You think your the first to figure out mass media?

Care to play this dumb American a game of chess? Being as i was probably not taught right i should get the first move right? If any of the stuff i said offends you try and think instead of feel!
[SIZE="2"]Nice comeback...almost childish in nature...completely "American" in the "OH ya, well my daddy can beat up your daddy" mentality[/SIZE]