CNN is so lame!

z0z0

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 03:00 pm
I have watched CNN a few times over the last few months and I am amazed how lame and shallow CNN is. It is more infotainment than real news and analysis.

All the pretty colors + scrolling words = lots of sizzle but little steak.

The news heads are sooooo unsophisticated. They almost seem like pretty trailer trash. Is this the market that CNN attracts? I understand that there is an International version of CNN that is more sophisticated.

I find the BBC to be much better news. Even the Canadian CBC is better at providing insights than CNN. Aljazeera has more potential.

How can citizens make informed decisions if they are not given the information they need to make those decisions? Or do the power-holders in the US just want to keep the population 'feeling' rather than 'thinking'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,644 • Replies: 91
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 04:09 pm
@z0z0,
Are you of the opinion that your sources are not biased?
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 05:29 pm
@z0z0,
All sources are biased to some extent. Some more than others.

My comments had nothing to do with bias but with the quality of the presentation and the level of sophistication of the information presentation. CNN appears to be marketed towards a market with an average IQ of 90. Fox News aimed at an IQ level of 75. BBC on the other hand is targeted to those with an IQ of 115.

The presenters on CNN today seem like they are more suited for Entertainment Tonight.

CNN used to be a great news-source 15 years ago. Today it appears to be a part of the dumbing down process of America.
Brent cv

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 06:51 pm
@z0z0,
CNN sucks. I rarely watch it or look at it on the web. Usually Foxnews, MSNBC, or Google News
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 06:57 pm
@z0z0,
Do you folks down in America (I am in Canada) get the BBC World Report?
The BBC does a fantastic job on world news.

See - BBC World Home Page

Another good news magazine is The Economist.

Fox News is even worse than CNN.

This is interesting.

Compare

CNN.com International and CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:19 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;8568 wrote:
All sources are biased to some extent. Some more than others.

My comments had nothing to do with bias but with the quality of the presentation and the level of sophistication of the information presentation. CNN appears to be marketed towards a market with an average IQ of 90. Fox News aimed at an IQ level of 75. BBC on the other hand is targeted to those with an IQ of 115.

The presenters on CNN today seem like they are more suited for Entertainment Tonight.

CNN used to be a great news-source 15 years ago. Today it appears to be a part of the dumbing down process of America.
Quote:
My comments had nothing to do with bias but with the quality of the presentation and the level of sophistication of the information presentation.

That is subject to personal opinion.
Quote:
CNN appears to be marketed towards a market with an average IQ of 90. Fox News aimed at an IQ level of 75. BBC on the other hand is targeted to those with an IQ of 115.

You prefer the BBC so you think your IQ is in the one fifteen range?
Quote:

Again personal opinion.
Quote:
CNN used to be a great news-source 15 years ago.

How old were you fifteen years ago?
Quote:
Today it appears to be a part of the dumbing down process of America.

Dumbing down? I thought they called it laymans terms. They do that so the average person can understand. You must be above average.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:28 pm
@z0z0,
I guess you have not heard about the speculation that the American population is getting dumber because the education system is not as good as it was. Some speculation is that it might not be the fault of the masses but an active government program to keep the American population unsophisticated so that the population can be motivated through FEELINGS rather than FACTS.

The "Lay Man" which is the average man may be getting dumber and that is what the concept of "The Dumbing Down of America" means. 15 years ago I was 25. I knew what the news was. At that time CNN was a good news source. Today it has declined significantly in quality and worthiness. 15 years ago CNN was owned by a certain man. Today it is owned by a certain group of people. I wonder what their agenda is.

TO get some interesting insights into the dumbing down of the population you should watch a BBC Documentary called "Century of the Self".

See - BBC - BBC Four Documentaries - The Century of the Self
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:33 pm
@z0z0,
Heeercome the conspiracy theory's. The BBC is biased. And should be viewed as so. Does not make it so.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 08:44 pm
@z0z0,
Can you explain how he BBC is biased?
In my experience I find the BBC to be one of the most unbiased news sources.

Remember that the UK is America's best ally.

I am Canadian or European descent. I have traveled around the world to different places (only 7% of Americans have passports). I scan the Internet for many news sources. I can see things from different perspectives. I understand how to see through bias to look for facts rather than opinions. I used to be an Officer in the Canadian Air Force, am a graduate of the Royal Military College (Canadian version of Westpoint) and have an MBA from the top business school in Canada.

Tell me this - is Fox News biased?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 09:00 pm
@z0z0,
Any time a human is the interpreter of the news, for what ever reason there is some bias in it. There has to be. You can call it angle for a story but it is a specific point of view, there for biased.
Quote:
Remember that the UK is America's best ally.

One of the few. For which we are greatfull.
Quote:
I am Canadian or European descent. I have traveled around the world to different places (only 7% of Americans have passports).

I got mine.
Quote:
I scan the Internet for many news sources. I can see things from different perspectives. I understand how to see through bias to look for facts rather than opinions.

As do I. But it's not always easy to see through when the bias is overwhelming. Not to say the BBC is but you have to view it in the right context.
Quote:
I used to be an Officer in the Canadian Air Force, am a graduate of the Royal Military College (Canadian version of Westpoint) and have an MBA from the top business school in Canada.

Thank you for your service. MBA a benny of such service?
Quote:
Tell me this - is Fox News biased?

They sure are.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2006 10:06 pm
@z0z0,
All of them are biased to one degree or other . That is why we need to watch and listen to as much news from as many sources as possible and sift through it all to make up our own minds .
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 06:59 am
@z0z0,
I will not deny bias. There is bias in everything. Some sources have more and others have less. How often do you watch the BBC World News?

Let's take it to the next level. The level of depth and sophistication of reporting. Can you really state that CNN provides depth of facts in a sophisticated manner?

I guess the difficulty for Americans is that they have nothing to compare to.

Try to catch the BBC World News on PBS.
It is usually on each weekday at 6 pm

Tell me what you think.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:04 am
@z0z0,
I watch the BBC maybe once or twice a week?
Quote:
Can you really state that CNN provides depth of facts in a sophisticated manner?

No, i don't like CNN either.
Quote:
I guess the difficulty for Americans is that they have nothing to compare to.

How worldly an opinion you have. I can get most any news channel that i wish, funny you think were limited when we are probable responcible for the selection you do have.
Quote:
Try to catch the BBC World News on PBS.
It is usually on each weekday at 6 pm

I can and do catch there news.

One question. Do you live in Europe or Canada. Last time i checked Canada is in North America. That would make you Canadian American which is almost as good as a real American
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:21 am
@z0z0,
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 09:53 am
@z0z0,
Here ya go....
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:08 am
@z0z0,
Quote:
Canadian American? Where did that term come from?

Are you located some where in North AMERICA? If you are that makes you American. Even if you lived in South America, guess what, your still American.
Quote:
There is no such thing as Canadian-American...
... at least until you invade to take over our Oil Reserves - ha ha ha

That's nice coming from some one who has never had to defend himself because your big brother is around.
Quote:
While I truly do love and respect America for the principles that it was founded on I truly prefer being Canadian. America is like the high school jock. Tall, handsome and good with the girls - but not very smart.
You forgot, "and will kick your ass at the slitest provocation", LOL.
Quote:
I prefer being the nerd. Brains go further in life in the long term than high school athletics.

So why were you in the military, still had some jock itch from high school?
Quote:
America has "gone wrong". America is no longer the country that it used to be. People do not even realize how much of their freedoms they are losing due to fascist government forces.

Welcome to North AMERICA Now sit down and eat your spinich so you can do some thing about it.
Quote:

Using your definition Canada falls into it as well. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Quote:
The funny thing about Americans is that while they support the war in Iraq they don't even know where Iraq is.

What's worse, Not knowing where your going or following some one who knows not where there going?
Quote:
That is a function of the poor schooling and the low grade news. CNN and FOx News BOTH use a communication strategy which encourages "Feeling" rather than "Thinking".

Keep picking your self up higher, your almost on a pedastal. You think your the first to figure out mass media?
Quote:
Watching CNN News is like going to McDonalds. Yes your hunger is satiated by the quick meal but soon you are hungry again and usually you get a wicked case of the shits.

Care to play this dumb American a game of chess? Being as i was probably not taught right i should get the first move right? If any of the stuff i said offends you try and think instead of feel!
z0z0

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 10:22 am
@z0z0,
Oh my lord - I can't believe what I just read.

1. While we live in the "Americas" that does not make us Americans. Only the United States of America and its citizens are called "Americans". Where did you learn this? There is no such thing as "Canadian-Americans" I can assure you of that. The US would like to turn us all into states of the USA but at this point in time that does not exist.

2. If you look at WW1 and WW2 you will see that Canada provided a military contribution in GREATER proportion to population and economic resources than did the USA. No we have never been attacked in the last 100 years. The USA has also not been attacked on the Continental US. Hawaii is a different story. If you want to belittle the Canadian Military - while we are not great and do not have the economic resources to sustain a large military, take a look at the great job that we are doing in Afghanistan. I assume that you do know a little about Afghanistan.

3. Yes America is like the arrogant high school jock. The world hopes that America will gain some wisdom in order to be a "benevolent ruler" but that has not been seen yet.

4. Canada is nowhere near as "fascistic" as the US. Just look at your HMO structure. Look at who wins from the war on Iraq. Just think US Military Industrial complex. Think Halliburton profiting. Think industrial lobby groups. Where do "Citizens" come into play in Washington?

5. What is the logic that you use that somehow correlates your ability to play Chess with your ability to debate and discuss a topic in these forums? As a side note - being able to spell words and use proper grammar does more to indicate how much validity your comments should be given.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:47 am
@z0z0,
zozo
A couple of corrections, then you can continue to brag about a few things you don't seem aware of.Very Happy

CIC Canada | Dual Citizenship

The Epoch Times | Canadians Seeking Medical Treatment in the Developing World

I live in a state that borders Canada so I'm not buying what you're selling.Very Happy
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 11:51 am
@z0z0,
I don't understand:

1. What does dual citizenship have to do with what I have been speaking about?
2. What does the fact that some Canadian went elsewhere for medical treatment. There are many Americans going to India to get medical treatment and many Americans coming to Canada to buy medicine.

What specifically do you not agree with?
1. That the US is turning into a Fascist state?
2. That CNN is lame?
3. That American masses are being dumbed down?
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 12:02 pm
@z0z0,
You said there was no such thing as Canadian Americans.
You claim your health care system is better than ours.

My state sees quite a few Canadians coming across for healthcare. It not an ideal healthcare system in Canada.

I also know personally a lot of folks who are dual citizens. It's quite common here.
=================================================
Unlike the law in effect in Canada up to 1977, the current Citizenship Act allows Canadian citizens to acquire a foreign nationality without automatically losing their Canadian citizenship. Since February 15, 1977, a Canadian citizen who acquires another nationality may retain Canadian citizenship, unless he or she voluntarily applies to renounce it and the application is approved by a citizenship judge. The current act thus makes it possible to have two or more citizenships and allegiances at the same time for an indefinite period
=================================================

Yasmeen Sayeed, president and CEO of Surgical Tourism Canada (STC), a Vancouver-based firm that helps Canadians travel overseas for medical care, says countries such as India that have private health care have access to unlimited resources; they can afford the best surgeons—many of whom are trained in Europe and North America—and provide cutting edge technology in state of the art hospitals. In comparison, Canada's publicly funded system often uses "archaic" procedures and is limited in terms of equipment and standards.

"If you compare with Europe and Asia, Canada is far behind in technology. People are getting more and more educated through the Internet and they want the best and latest techniques, but those techniques are not available in Canada," says Sayeed.
0 Replies