I have been kicked upstairs...

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:50 am
....and no, it does not mean that I am moving upto the 12th floor from the 4th Smile

It has just been formalized. I have been appointed the Vice President of EMEA (Europe, Middle east and Africa) Technology division in my company. While the post comes with its bouquets

a. A promotion (means I can be even more pompous)
b. A modest salary hike (I can now start buying Gucci underwear)
c. A large team (more people to boss around)
d. A huge budget (more vendor lunches and dinners)

It also has a share of its brickbats

a. I know very little abt technology. I cannot differentiate between a HP mainframe from the backend of a bus, ORACLE is a greek god, and HTML and JAVA are 4 letter words. It will be a steep learning curve, but the ride promises to be fun. And hey, someone high up thinks I can do it
b. Amazingly long hours. Back in business/technology, we usually work 80 hrs a week. But given the fact that "an empty mind is a devil's workshop" and lack of love life, I am actually looking forward to living life in the fast and busy lane again, something which was lacking in my current job
c. Since I am going to be very busy, I will have to drastically cut down on my A2K time. I wont disappear and make an effort to pop in atleast once a day, but it definitely wont be as frequent as now. I hope you all will slowly learn to live bereft of my charming company, and won't forget me!
d. Travel to my favorite destinations like Prague, Istanbul etc will be almost non existent, as we control all technology from here itself. What will happen to my fans there ??? Hopefully they will move on Wink

But jokes aside, I think this is a tremendous opportunity for me to do something big, something new. I am very excited, a bit scared - but that is natural I guess, when you step into unchartered territory.

Wish me luck, miss me when I am gone (not for two weeks atleast) and promise you wont forget me !!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,631 • Replies: 202
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:55 am
Major grats!!!! Yeppers, please pop in when you can, or you and your brand spanking new Gucci underwear will be sorely missed!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:56 am
Good luck, and remember; it is much easier to learn to talk about technology than apply it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:59 am
Wow, congratulations Gautam! I'm so happy for you. I'm glad you'll be able to pop in here from time to time despite your lofty position. Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:01 am
Congratulations!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:04 am
Wow, Gautam! Congratulations. Sounds like somebody (besides us) recognizes your genius! VP for Europe, Africa and the Mid-East? You're bigger than Alexander the Great!!!! I'm sure you'll be fantastic in this new setting -- good luck, friend.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:06 am
Will you still stoop to talk to us peasants?

Heehee, congratulations, G!!! V.P.?! WOW!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:14 am
Gautam, that's wonderful!!!!

Thanks for letting us know... I worry when you disappear, and appreciate how you let us know that you'll be traveling, etc. (I'm SUCH a mom...)

Will miss ya if you're here less, of course, but sounds like this will be really good for you.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:46 am
Wonderful news G.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:48 am
Gautam
Gautam, wonderful news and well deserved promotion,

With your salary increase, will you now be able to afford a glider plane?

BBB
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 09:51 am
Awwwww guyz !! Thanks a ton !!! To be honest, I am not going to be *that* big !!! There are abt 10 VPs in the department, each looking after a particular business area, but considering that we spend over $100 million per year, we all get a big share of the pie Smile

I was pretty surprised when the call came out of the blue abt 3 weeks ago, as I considered myself to be the last person to be considered for this job. Even after 3 interviews with the director and managing director, I was not sure that I will make it, considering my non technology background. But just now when the MD called me up to confirm my appointment, I just had to share the news with you all !!!

Thanks once again !!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:05 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TgDPAs4YBPiRKugdc4*5STP2Qbd4maL1TnC7cZF5oLxFUIsN!Pb1jRvPxN1MeJ66ztB!oAqvRjsobzww1kHB9fC4gt42UrZNI2m*375fDs9MzyKURJak5w/congratteeth.gif?dc=4675448118182451516

Best of Luck and Good Wishes in Your New Position, Gautam!!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:44 am
Congratulations.

Don't forget to go get drunk and act like an a$$hole while you still have time.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:51 am
Marvelous, Dahling. It's nice to have friends in upstairs places. Cool

Should you need any help in laundering money down here in Florida, just contact Rush Limbaugh. Very Happy

Hoorah for Gautam!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:10 am
Gautam,

Think of the folks here at A2K as one huge advisory council for you. There's lots and lots of people with experience in many areas here. Make use of the resource as needed.

Having worked and burned out in technical support for several years myself, I have one piece of advice for you to maintain your sanity. Set aside one evening a week for Gautam and let absolutely nothing compromise that. Work your buns off for the company the rest of the time, but guard that block of time you set aside for yourself. Use that as an indicator of how well you are handling the stress levels of the job. If you find the job encroaching upon that block of Gautam time, that's a warning flag that needs immediate attention.

Don't let the job eat up your sanity.

Congrats on the achievement, sweetie!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:15 am
Congratulations!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:20 am
Pretty Great !!!

- now you saying you don't know nothing about ITtech, I don't believe it or I'm wondering who you slept with! LOL
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:50 am
G,

I believe you will find that the higher you climb the less "hands-on" your job will become. Often folks who take the long jump upward into policy ranks have a hard time letting go of those petty details. That is why you have a staff. Find the best technology guy in your organization and put them on your personal staff. Take them with you to meetings, even some of those that have nothing to do with technical matters. Managing your new responsibilities will largely consist of managing your staff.

Develop them to the best of their capabilities, and encourage initiative. People will make mistakes, especially if they are really pushing to achieve the organizational goals. Forgive them and shield them from the wrath of your own bosses. Mistakes are a learning curve; one mistake is forgivable, but continual "mistakes" of a similar nature have to be dealt with on an individual basis. Everyone in your staff should probably be made ready for some sort of promotion within a couple of years of your taking over.

Every organization has its own culture, and the optimal organizational style will vary accordingly. From what I gather in your initial post, your business is involved in someway with high-tech computers, and that your team will be expected to expand the organizations foothold in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. This sounds as if you have subordinate offices in at least the three geographical areas that operate largely out of sight, and day-to-day control of your office. Visit those offices early, and periodically thereafter to let the subordinates know your interests and to remain "in touch" with happenings on the ground that may not find their way into reports. Think of bringing the subordinate area heads to the home office to participate in drafting strategic plans for increasing market share. Encourage innovative thinking in your staff. No matter how bright the boss might be, the combined dedicated effort of the staff (no matter how limited their abilities) are potentially greater. Trust your staff to the small and tactical efforts, and keep your eye focused on the big picture.

Oh well, enough advice from an old retired exec who specialized in organizational management.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 11:57 am
Gautam, sir,

my very honest congratulations!

Now, I really feel more than just only honoured to have been able to get some of your precious time in the shadow of your residence just a fortnight ago.

Vive le vice-president!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 12:00 pm
Congrats, good ol' chap. . .

Hey! Where's that music coming from? And who brought the beer already?

Who cares! It's a party! Woo hoo!
0 Replies