Can You Increase Your Lifespan By Eating Correctly, NotSmoking, Not Drinking Alcohol And Exercising?

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:01 pm
Hi All!

Do any of you believe that you will live longer because of any or all of the above lifestyle choices?

Please feel free to say which, if any, of the above, WILL lead to a longer lifespan and which of these WONT?

I am deeply interested as to how one becomes convinced/unconvinced by what the various experts/charlatans force-feed people into believing.

Thank you all for your replies!
Have a fantastic everything!

Mark...

djjd62

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:08 pm
not if you step out in front of a bus Razz
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
@mark noble,
I think you also need to have good outlets for other things as well. Eating is one thing but if you don't have an emotional outlet it'll be just as bad as a person who eats horribly.

You need to have ways to cope with stress both good and bad kinds. You don't want to suppress any of it, both biological or emotional. A lot of people try to suppress their emotions and urges.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:11 pm
I don't put much faith in any claim unless science has been consistent on the issue for 20 years. I also believe that quality of time alive is very important, so I am often not interested in diminishing quality of time in order to get more time. For instance I am not interested in eating crappy food so that I might be able to live a bit longer, but if something is clearly bad for me than I will moderate how much of it I eat.

Overall I don't believe in living in fear, and I don't do things simply because I am told that I should.
Chumly

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
There is convincing scientific evidence that a low food intake in rats prolongs life as it triggers the body to conserve. The discomfort and discipline to do this is unlikely to make it popular, and how well it may work in humans is open to argument however.
JPB

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@mark noble,
There are data that indicate that any/all of those things increase lifespan.

BUT!!!

Lifespan is just a number. Quality of life during that span is something else. I don't eat correctly, I drink in moderation, I smoke seldom but occasionally, and I hate to exercise. I live life in a way that brings me the most pleasure, not in a manner that maximizes my time on the planet.

If changing all of those things gives me another 5-10 years to live in chronic pain with bad knees and a bad back then I'll check out sooner rather than later.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:15 pm
@mark noble,
These behaviors may or may not make any difference for a particular individual.

They do make a difference when one compares the average life expectancy of the populations that do and do not behave in these ways.

Avoiding smoke decreases my chances of developing lung cancer, compared to a smoker.

Moderate exercise improves both my daily existence, and improves my life expectancy compared to someone who does not exercise.

Etc.
0 Replies

Huxley

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
Well, since you're stating WILL and WON'T, I don't think your question applies. The evidence points to a causal link between the two, but you could always be shot, or be one of the unfortunate few who get a type of cancer not related to the above.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:25 pm
I am 100% convinced that I would be dead if I had not quit smoking, drinking and eating as I had been. 17 years ago, I saw a decline in my health on many fronts. I made the changes, and I am now going strong, despite a few problems not related to the thread.
mark noble

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:40 pm
@Huxley,
Hi Djj!
Hope you are well.

External factors are redundant herein.

Thank you for replying, though>

Kind regards
Mark...

Krumple wrote:

I think you also need to have good outlets for other things as well. Eating is one thing but if you don't have an emotional outlet it'll be just as bad as a person who eats horribly.

You need to have ways to cope with stress both good and bad kinds. You don't want to suppress any of it, both biological or emotional. A lot of people try to suppress their emotions and urges.

Hi Krumple!

I think you have a brilliantly healthy lifestyle routine. I commend you for it!

Mark...

hawkeye10 wrote:

I don't put much faith in any claim unless science has been consistent on the issue for 20 years. I also believe that quality of time alive is very important, so I am often not interested in diminishing quality of time in order to get more time. For instance I am not interested in eating crappy food so that I might be able to live a bit longer, but if something is clearly bad for me than I will moderate how much of it I eat.

Overall I don't believe in living in fear, and I don't do things simply because I am told that I should.

Hi Hawkeye!

Me too!

Kind regards!
mark...
djjd62 wrote:

not if you step out in front of a bus Razz

Chumly wrote:

There is convincing scientific evidence that a low food intake in rats prolongs life as it triggers the body to conserve. The discomfort and discipline to do this is unlikely to make it popular, and how well it may work in humans is open to argument however.

Hi Chumly!

Thank you!

Kind regards!
Mark...
JPB wrote:

There are data that indicate that any/all of those things increase lifespan.

BUT!!!

Lifespan is just a number. Quality of life during that span is something else. I don't eat correctly, I drink in moderation, I smoke seldom but occasionally, and I hate to exercise. I live life in a way that brings me the most pleasure, not in a manner that maximizes my time on the planet.

If changing all of those things gives me another 5-10 years to live in chronic pain with bad knees and a bad back then I'll check out sooner rather than later.

Hi JPB!

I will also take what comes!

Have a great day!
Mark...

DrewDad wrote:

These behaviors may or may not make any difference for a particular individual.

They do make a difference when one compares the average life expectancy of the populations that do and do not behave in these ways.

Avoiding smoke decreases my chances of developing lung cancer, compared to a smoker.

Moderate exercise improves both my daily existence, and improves my life expectancy compared to someone who does not exercise.

Etc.

Hi Drew!

Do you think you will live longer because of?

Thank you, and have a lovely day!
Mark...

Huxley wrote:

Well, since you're stating WILL and WON'T, I don't think your question applies. The evidence points to a causal link between the two, but you could always be shot, or be one of the unfortunate few who get a type of cancer not related to the above.

Hi Huxley!

Just on the given circumstances - Do you think life can be extended or reduced?

Thank you, and prosper moderately!
Mark...
mark noble

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi Edgar!
Thank you, I'm glad your still alive!
Best wishes!
Mark...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
It just makes life seem longer Wink
mark noble

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:47 pm
@ebrown p,
Hi E!

EXACTLY!!!

Thank you, indeed!
Mark...
DrewDad

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Do you think you will live longer because of?

I think that I avoid the negative consequences of obesity, emphysema, lung cancer, liver damage, etc.
mark noble

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:55 pm
@DrewDad,
Hi Drew!
Good answer! You likely do, by the way.

Mark...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:56 pm
I made the changes I did as part of a program to become healthy, not to prolong a miserable life. As a result, I can still do pretty much everything I ever did.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 03:58 pm
@mark noble,
interesting to note that in the media or in polite conversation rarely will you get the perception that it is ok to disregard the minders who claim to be telling us what is best for us because they are looking out for us. We often talk about media bias in the sense of left/right and Corporate class/masses, but it certainly exists re perceived safe practices/perceived unsafe practices. I suspect that our over litigated social life and well as knuckling under to PC rules of discourse is to blame.
0 Replies

WendyLou

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@mark noble,
Hi Mark. I would say a resounding "yes" to all of the above.
If you owned a Masserati car, you wouldn't put cheap petrol in the tank, you would service it regularly, clean it, look after it and love it.
The human body is nothing more than a flesh machine, which requires good sleep, food without chemicals i.e. home grown vegetables, etc. no smoking, only a small glass of wine, say occasionally and definitely moving the body.
Again, yes, if you did all of the above you would increase your lifespan.
The kicker is genetics. In some cases it wouldn't matter, if you have a predisposition to cancer, for example, you would have a hard time fighting it off, depending upon where it was with just the above.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:11 pm
I think I'm lucky in that I, like most people, enjoy feeling good. I happen not to feel very good when I overeat - I feel stuffed and uncomfortable-as a result, I seldom overeat- and if I do one day, I certainly don't feel like doing it the next day. Thus my weight has always been pretty stable.
I don't deny myself the things I like - I just don't stuff myself with them.
After a certain amount, alcohol feels like poison and again, I get sick - so I instinctively drink in moderation.
Cigarettes hurt my throat and I don't like the way that feels, so I've never been drawn to smoking.
If I don't exert myself at least once a day, I feel antsy at night and unable to sleep, so I exercise moderately at least an hour a day.

I DO think these things have made a big difference in my overall health. I was just on the same airplane as my sister and mother and we all caught a cold. I'm totally over mine - I called them tonight to see how they were and they are suffering and sneezing and coughing and will be going to get checked to see if it's gone to their lungs and has turned into pneumonia tomorrow.
What was just a case of 24 hour sniffles for me has turned that bad for both of them.

I think my immune system is stronger than theirs - they do too - they attribute it to my moderate approach to diet and adherence to daily exercise. I do too.
I don't know if I'll live longer than either of them, but I know for sure that I get sick a lot less often than they do and I'm sure it's easier to enjoy life when you're not dealing with a suppressed immune system which is something that people who live immoderately often do have to deal with.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:32 pm
sloth is my only virtue, as Spock says, sleep late and prosper.
0 Replies