Can You Increase Your Lifespan By Eating Correctly, NotSmoking, Not Drinking Alcohol And Exercising?

plainoldme

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
I disagree with your statement, "I am not interested in eating crappy food so that I might be able to live a bit longer." To me, nothing is crappier than a McDonald's anything or food packed in whatever passes for cellophane that sits on store shelves.

Healthy home-cooked food is fresh, delicious, simple and good for you.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 04:52 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I disagree with your statement, "I am not interested in eating crappy food so that I might be able to live a bit longer." To me, nothing is crappier than a McDonald's anything or food packed in whatever passes for cellophane that sits on store shelves.
Fine, but how do you feel about low sugar low salt foods? How do you feel about having calcium added to your orange juice? How do you feel about added fiber bread? How do you feel about having nothing or olive oil on your bread rather than that killer paste called butter?

My answer is give me my crusty old fashioned European style bread with good quality butter and STFU, I don't want to hear complaints about how low quality it is. I know what I want, and this is it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 05:00 pm
@Chumly,
I used to be acquainted with a fellow who was a pioneer in some of the earlier writing and projects about that, Roy Walford.
http://www.grg.org/RWalford.htm That's a good link, quite a story...

Acquainted is something of an exaggeration - he used to sit across the biomed library table from me, for whatever reason. (Maybe he liked to be able to stare at the library clock behind me). I knew, slightly better, a neighbor woman who also was involved in the Biosphere 2 project..

Meantime, I agree with JPB's comment on page 1 on the pros and cons of some lifestyle choices.
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2010 06:27 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi All!

Do any of you believe that you will live longer because of any or all of the above lifestyle choices?

Please feel free to say which, if any, of the above, WILL lead to a longer lifespan and which of these WONT?

I am deeply interested as to how one becomes convinced/unconvinced by what the various experts/charlatans force-feed people into believing.

Thank you all for your replies!
Have a fantastic everything!

Mark...

You won't live longer. But, it will seem that way.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:53 am
I believe that a small amount of alcohol is good for you. I seem to recall seeing several articles to that effect over the past few years......Googling around quickly, I just found this:

http://www.cholesterolcholestrol.com/cholesterol-alcohol-cardiovascular-disease.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 06:43 am
I think that healthy living will prolong life..............but having good genes helps!

Anyhow, we had an interesting experience recently. Mr. P. has hypertension. He also had some stomach problems. His gastro doc attributed the belly problems to allergies, and told him to go on an elimination diet.

He was to start with water, tea, rice and lamb. Apparently lamb is a meat that causes less allergic problems than other meat. After a few days, he was to add another food, a few days later another, to see what it is that causes his intestinal problems.

So he went on what he fondly called, his "P.O.W. Diet". I would make up a pot of rice (regular, not Minute) with Swanson's chicken broth. I used a larger proportion of liquid than is called for, and cooked it longer. The results were sticky rice, and quite tasty. He would eat this in the morning, like a hot cereal.

He would have tuna or salmon with rice for lunch, and a lamb chop with rice and fresh vegetables.

Anyhow, what he found was that his blood pressure started to go down. As we began adding more foods, his b.p. started to climb again.

I remember reading somewhere that people who came to America from Japan had a lower incidence of heart disease than other people in the country. By the time that the second generation of Japanese were born, they were eating junk food like the rest of us, and their rates of heart disease became similar with people who had been living in America for a few generations.
JPB

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
@Phoenix32890,
I've done elimination diets, Phoenix. You feel great afterward. I don't think I could eat that way long term, but they're good for a semi-annual detox. I now make large batches of brown rice regularly. I use it as cereal with almonds and cinnamon and a little bit of milk.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 08:25 am
@stevecook172001,
Hi Steve!

Indeed!

Kind regards!
Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 08:31 am
Hi Everyone!

It is impossible to prove that a person has lived any longer or any less than what they would have anyway.

The day you are destined to die is the day you will die. Nevertheless, lifestyle choices, especially moderation, will lead to a healthier you.

Does anyone disagree with the above?

Thank you all, and have a darn fantastic day!

Mark...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:22 am
@mark noble,
I think if you are "destined" to die, then you're destined to eat right or wrong, smoke or not smoke, exercise or not exercise. If you have a destiny then you're going to meet it no matter what; what's the point of making any decisions in that case?
mark noble

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:24 am
@DrewDad,
Hi Drew!

I only make decisions I am destined to make. Don't you?

Kind regards!
Mark...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:42 am
@mark noble,
Meh. The free will vs. wet robot debate has been done to death.
mark noble

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:50 am
@DrewDad,
Hi Drew!

I can well imagine (as destined to, of course).

My point being - It is absolutely impossible to determine whether a person has/had lived longer/lesser than they may have done, because unless you knew of when they should/would have died, there is nothing to measure against.

Have a great day, Drew!
Mark...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 09:51 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
It is absolutely impossible to determine whether a person has/had lived longer/lesser than they may have done, because unless you knew of when they should/would have died, there is nothing to measure against.

This, I can agree to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm
If our lives were predetermined, I would simply give up. What good would living be if we had no real choices to make?
mark noble

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 12:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi Edgar!

Predestiny is a faith issue. It can never be proven, unless it is destined to be, I guess.

So each can apply it or not.

Thank you for replying, Edgar.
Have a lovely day!
Mark...
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 02:21 pm
@mark noble,
I don't have a speck of faith.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:29 pm
Can You Increase Your Lifespan By Eating Correctly, NotSmoking, Not Drinking Alcohol And Exercising?

I don't know for sure. I guess that you might be able to add on a year or two if you eat well, don't smoke or drink, and exercise.

Both my grandmothers ate fatty, heavy foods every day of their lives. The only exercise they got was cleaning the apartment. They both lived well into their eighties.

My parents also did not eat correctly. They both smoked for over 50 years. Neither of them exercised. My father made it to 85; my mother lived to 93.

I did everything they did, but if it weren't for modern medicine, I would have been dead before my sixtieth birthday.

I'm thinking that it can't hoit to do the "right" things. But I don't know how much it helps either.
Huxley

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:41 pm
mark noble wrote:
Do you think life can be extended or reduced?

Oh. Well then, yes, yes I do think this -- except for, perhaps, Not Drinking Alcohol. Not drinking alcohol in excess, perhaps, but I don't think that one is necessary to avoid in entirety.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 04:42 pm
I may fall into a different category from most of you, in that my health failed and drastic measures were called for. I did not eat healthy and I smoked and drank very heavily. My first priority was to make the sort of changes I thought would restore my health. Sure, some of us can eat and do all the other bad things and escape the penalty of ill health. All of it depends on the individual and how they respond to the situation. The new lifestyle was actually sort of fun. It was no sacrifice to get clean and eat better food.
0 Replies