Can You Increase Your Lifespan By Eating Correctly, NotSmoking, Not Drinking Alcohol And Exercising?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
@Pemerson,
Ya, they do. In the case of school bullies they inspire people to finally stand up for themselves with a punch to the face. In this case it needs to inspire people to demand that the advise givers show up with proof of their claims, and when they can't to mock the do-gooders. Such a response will discourage the practice of spreading bad advise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think some salt scare is reasonable, as - I take it - the average american teen scarfs way more salt than advisable, in multiples, and carries on into adulthood.

I'm not fan of rigid rules. But I sure wish there was something besides some time later death to give kids a clue.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:25 pm
@ossobuco,
if you look you will see that the current goal is to get down to the fed standard advisory on sodium intake, then next they will tell you that half of that amount would be better. We will never be good enough for this crowd, we are doomed to a life of sin.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I'll interject. I was on my own sugar then salty grease and then sugar circle - I understand it. I remember it, though I'm hoping people change from it.

Food is much more interesting than that, even for someone with very low money.
It takes information. I have a friend spending hundreds of hours helping start school gardens. And so what, she is not me. But I get the desire, so much.

I'm moving along to think that basic nutrition is near as important as the alphabet. I know, that sounds proscriptive, which I am not.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Researchers estimate that 10 to 25 percent of the population may be salt-sensitive. Among those with diagnosed hypertension, the number rises to 60 percent.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/21/sodium.cooking.light/index.html

They should be able to pin the number down before they demand that we all go low salt. I like salty food sometimes, it makes my life more enjoyable.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
I figure there is a way to test ourselves on that, though I haven't inquired. I probably don't want to know. I'm pretty good re sodium re my last blood tests, near low. I am pretty salt avoidant, but I adore salt and pepper kettle chips... still, I don't have a lab at my pocket now.

This is all near kidding, I think this can be followed up, at the appropriate lab, despite my not having links. Whether that affects high blood pressure, I dunno. I assume there are studies. I don't know how they connect an individual and his or her salt eating habits to hig blood pressure. This may be ignorance on my part.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
There can be too much of a good thing. Drinking water to excess leads to water intoxication, referred to as hyponatremia. As you consume water, blood plasma increases and dilutes the salt content of the blood. While this is happening, you lose more salt by sweating. Consequently the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases and over time, the loss interferes with brain, heart and muscle functions. Water intoxication is more commonly found in endurance athletes
http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/Nutrition/nutrition5.htm

Guess what, at the very same time people are being told to drastically reduce salt intake we are being told to drastically increase water intake. With any luck at all we can make hyponatremia a common problem!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 11:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Much as I joke, I was a head tech, a couple of months later asked to be the manager, at the start of what is now one of the world's most serious labs. I haven't followed up on all they did after I left; the whole thing sold a few years ago, more than 25 years later. If I had stayed, with or without agreeing to manage (which I said no to), I'd be wealthy.

I've no idea re what is going on now re natremia, one way or another.
If I were still there, I'd understand more of the biochem.

Most of our posts are missing a lot of data, including my own.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:04 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Professor F�sgen presented his findings at the European Geriatrics Congress in Vienna, which ended yesterday (September 19). They show that the symptoms of hyponatraemia (low sodium level in the blood), which are tiredness, difficulty in concentrating and loss of balance, can develop into confusion and even coma if left untreated.

His studies show that up to 10 per cent of older people suffer from sub-acute sodium deficiency, which can result in problems such as nervous disposition, hallucinations, muscle cramps and incontinence.

Professor F�sgen explained; "Sodium deficiency is common for elderly people but it is often not recognized. Many older people are not aware of the danger of a low salt diet and try to reduce their consumption of salt because they assume it is healthy to do so."

According to a survey conducted by Professor F�sgen, as part of his research, 80 per cent of elderly people try to consume salt sparingly, thinking that too much salt causes high blood pressure. Professor F�sgen maintains that a low salt diet is not appropriate for the majority of elderly people.

"We said earlier this week that In the case of the elderly, cutting salt might be dangerous, especially in the summer months. Because they tend to drink less and are less acclimatised to hot weather, salt lost through sweat is not replaced. Their blood pressure rises, so putting added strain on their hearts," says the SMA's general secretary, Peter Sherratt.

"We remain convinced that the Department of Health and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) are ignoring inconvenient evidence in pursuit of a campaign that unfairly targets one of life�s essentials.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/13793.php

I think that there is more than enough evidence to call into question the current low salt fad. I predict that it will go the way of the low fat fad......a giant "oops, it seemed like a good idea at the time"
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:14 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't doubt there can be sodium deficiency. I remain no expert.

Personally, I drink some mineral waters with actual minerals. I assume this is just as magically oriented as other stuff, but I like them in any case.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:27 am
There are a whole lot of ways you can play it safer and may live longer.

There's also something to be said about quality of life (i.e., your enjoyment thereof). More isn't always better

I've know a ton of good people who lived immaculately-healthy lives; fastidiously careful of all they eat and do. And yes, a number of these folks are dead anyway

The point: Balance the equation between how you perceive your quality of life and the likelihood of those actions extending it. I think its also important to point out that many healthy choices actually improve how you feel on a daily basis (thereby not just increasing quality but quantity as well). Lots to consider

...its here I'd like to say "Use common sense", but.. well...
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 12:39 am
@Khethil,
Quote:
I think its also important to point out that many healthy choices actually improve how you feel on a daily basis (thereby not just increasing quality but quantity as well).
that is adequately covered in the directive "eat what you want in moderation". All of this attempting to power over individual choice with the motivation to get us to do what others think we should do, think is best for us, can go away.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:38 am
RE eat what you want in moderation..

I edited myself on this. Too much to say and bundle up.

0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
What happens is you get high blood pressure from the salt
from what I have seen only a small minority of people are sensitive to salt, as in their body does not automatically kick out all unneeded salt with no ill effects. Those people should watch how much salt they eat. We have food labels so that they can do this. The food Nazis however should leave us all the **** alone, their bullying is not needed nor appreciated by me.

agreed
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 05:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I guess I'll interject. I was on my own sugar then salty grease and then sugar circle - I understand it. I remember it, though I'm hoping people change from it.

Food is much more interesting than that, even for someone with very low money.
It takes information. I have a friend spending hundreds of hours helping start school gardens. And so what, she is not me. But I get the desire, so much.

I'm moving along to think that basic nutrition is near as important as the alphabet. I know, that sounds proscriptive, which I am not.

I have some very simple rules for what to eat and what not to eat

1) Eat food

2) Mostly vegetables and a little meat

3) The shorter the time and space between the field and your stomach, the better.

4) Don't eat too much or you'll end up with a lard arse
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 09:54 pm
@stevecook172001,
agree
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 09:54 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I think that there is more than enough evidence to call into question the current low salt fad. I predict that it will go the way of the low fat fad......a giant "oops, it seemed like a good idea at the time"

Hyponatremia is hardly a wide-spread heath problem, and its risk is a poor argument to suggest we shouldn't limit salt intake to reasonable amounts. Other than the elderly, who can develop hyponatremia from both dehydration and excessive fluid retention, and athletes who might develop it from dehydration, the average person really doesn't have to worry about it, or even think about it, except when the weather is very hot and profuse sweating occurs.

I don't think that most research suggests that a really low salt diet is a good general practice for most people. What is suggested is that people try to stay within the Dietary Guidelines for sodium. If one tends to eat a lot of canned, processed, take-out, fast food, restaurant foods, etc. as many Americans do, the daily salt intake zooms way beyond that Dietary Guideline limit. It's that chronic intake of excessive salt that may lead to all sorts of health problems down the line, and increased risk of high blood pressure might be only one of them.

Quote:

Hypertension (high blood pressure): "Since 1994, the evidence of an association between dietary salt intakes and blood pressure has increased. The data have been consistent in various study populations and across the age range in adults." A large scale study from 2007 has shown that people with high-normal blood pressure who significantly reduced the amount of salt in their diet decreased their chances of developing cardiovascular disease by 25% over the following 10 to 15 years. Their risk of dying from cardiovascular disease decreased by 20%.

Left ventricular hypertrophy (cardiac enlargement): "Evidence suggests that high salt intake causes left ventricular hypertrophy, a strong risk factor for cardiovascular disease, independently of blood pressure effects." "…there is accumulating evidence that high salt intake predicts left ventricular hypertrophy." Excessive salt (sodium) intake, combined with an inadequate intake of water, can cause hypernatremia. It can exacerbate renal disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

Quote:

Osteoporosis Diet Dangers: Foods to Avoid
Salt, soda, caffeine: Could your daily diet be damaging your bones -- even leading to osteoporosis?
By Elizabeth M. Ward, MS, RD

Osteoporosis Diet Danger 1: Salt Is Bad for the Bone!
Salt can pose a great obstacle to a sturdy skeleton. Research has found that postmenopausal women with a high-salt diet lose more bone minerals than other women of the same age.

"The salt content of the typical American diet is one of the reasons why calcium requirements are so high," says Linda K. Massey, PhD, RD, a professor of human nutrition at Washington State University in Spokane.

Massey says studies show that regular table salt, not simply sodium, causes calcium loss, weakening bones with time. That’s important because Americans get about 90% of our sodium through salt.

We also get about twice as much sodium as we should. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans advise limiting sodium to 2,300 milligrams a day – equal to a teaspoon of salt. But most Americans get at least 4,000 milligrams a day.

"Generally speaking, for every 2,300 milligrams of sodium you take in, about 40 milligrams of calcium is lost in the urine," Massey explains.

read the rest of the article here
http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/living-with-osteoporosis-7/diet-dangers

Clearly, chronic excessive salt intake has no apparent health benefits, and it may well lead to the development of some serious medical problems as well as promoting nutritional deficiencies of the body's other electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, and calcium). Common sense would dictate that it is probably a good idea to try to stay within the Dietary Guideline of 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day.

Most of us are surrounded by an abundance of food and food choices, and these days, not that many of us are sustained exclusively on diets of home cooked meals with lots of fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains. Particularly since more women have entered the workforce, there is simply less time for busy wives and moms to shop for and prepare meals from scratch, and many of us tend to eat on the run. Consequently, we have shifted to eating things not actually prepared in our own home kitchens which gives us less control over the contents of our foods . We eat, drink, and snack on, lots of prepared foods that are loaded with all sorts of things that can promote health risks--too much highly saturated fat or trans fats, too much salt, too much sugar, too little fiber, and, sometimes, too many dubious food additives.

And an awfully large number of us consume far more calories than our bodies need, and obesity has consequently become a major health problem, and a likely culprit in increasing the risk for type 2 diabetes and other assorted ills.
Eating correctly-- also means that you don't eat more calories than your body can utilize in a day. You have to pay attention to portion sizes.

Not smoking is good advice for everyone. There are no health benefits from smoking, and the risks are numerous.

Alcohol, particularly red wine, in moderation, seems to have some beneficial health effects.

And some type of regular exercise is beneficial in maintaining muscle tone, flexibility, stamina, and the general well being of our physical structure.

Will eating correctly, not smoking, and exercise increase my lifespan? I really don't know. But I do think that not doing those things might decrease it, or might subject me to the risks of diseases or conditions that would diminish my quality of life.

Certainly, good cognitive functioning is essential to good quality of life if one hopes for longevity, and there is research suggesting that diet may be a factor.

Quote:

J Neural Transm. 2003 Jan;110(1):95-110.

The role of diet in cognitive decline.
Solfrizzi V, Panza F, Capurso A.

Department of Geriatrics, Center for Aging Brain, Memory Unit, University of Bari, Policlinico, Bari, Italy.

Abstract
Recent findings suggest a possible role of diet in age-related cognitive decline, and cognitive impairment of both degenerative (Alzheimer's disease, AD) or vascular origin. In particular, in an older population of Southern Italy with a typical Mediterranean diet, high monounsaturated fatty acids energy intake appeared to be associated with a high protection against cognitive decline. In addition, dietary fat and energy in older people seem to be risk factors, while fish consumption and cereals are found to reduce the prevalence of AD in the European and North American countries. Moreover, foods with large amounts of aluminium-containing additives or aluminium from drinking water may affect the risk of developing AD. Vitamin deficiencies, especially vitamin B6, B12 and folates, and antioxidant deficiencies (vitamins E and C) could also influence the memory capabilities and have an effect on cognitive decline. Dietary anti-oxidants and supplements and specific macronutrients of the diet may act synergistically with other protective factors opening new possibilities of intervention for cognitive decline.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12541015

Similarly, this study also suggests that diet may play a role in cognitive decline.

Quote:

Cognitive Decline
By Ed Susman, Contributing Writer, MedPage Today
Published: July 15, 2009
Reviewed by Dori F. Zaleznik, MD; Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston and
Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

VIENNA, July 15 -- A diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in salt, sweets, and red meats -- the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) model -- appears to slow cognitive decline, researchers said here at the International Conference on Alzheimer's Disease.

Heidi Wengreen, PhD, RD, assistant professor of nutrition at Utah State University, Logan, lead author of the study, said however that adherence to the DASH diet was difficult, which could hamper the diet as a practical intervention.

The study included 3,831 people over the age of 65 years who participate in the Cache County (Utah) Study on Memory, Health and Aging.

"No one in our study was actually able to follow the DASH plan 100%," said Ron Munger, PhD, a professor of nutrition at Utah State who also worked on the study.

The patients received a score based on how closely they followed the diet, which requires seven to eight servings of grains; four to five servings of fruit; four to five servings of vegetables, two to three servings of low fat dairy, two or fewer servings of meat a day, and five servings of nuts or legumes or seeds a week.

The groups were divided into quintiles, and the results showed that those patients in the highest quintile -- the individuals who were closest in following the diet -- had the slowest decline in cognitive functioning, while the patients in the lowest quintiles had the most rapid decline in functioning.

Over the 11-year time frame of the study, the difference between the most diet-adherent individuals was about 3.73 points (P<0.001) on the Modified Mini Mental State Examination, a standard instrument that measures cognitive decline. The examinations were given at baseline and as many as four times during the study period.

"Over the years, researchers have tried to slow cognitive decline using single nutrients and supplements, with mixed results," said Dr. Munger. "We believe that what we have observed is that the total DASH-like diet is greater than the sum of its parts."

But Dr. Munger cautioned that the observational data cannot confirm that the diet itself is responsible for slowing mental decline in these older individuals.

Another possible explanation is that adherence to the DASH diet was a marker for an overall healthy lifestyle that includes exercise and not smoking.

Nonetheless, he said there were solid data that demonstrate the DASH diet was effective in lowering blood pressure. That alone, he said, supports use of the diet.

In commenting on the study, Maria Carrillo, PhD, director of medical and scientific relations at the Alzheimer's Association, which sponsors ICAD, offered a less critical analysis: "Following the DASH diet helps you to preserve a little bit of cognitive function that otherwise would have been lost. The cognitive decline is cumulative, so ultimately there can be a big difference."

However, Dr. Munger said that barely one quarter of Americans follow just part of the DASH diet -- eating four to five servings of fruits a day, despite recent campaigns to increase consumption of fruits and vegetables.

So while there isn't good compliance with the diet, "The good news is there's lots of room for improvement," he said.
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ICAD/15099

I don't see much joy in a long life if my cognitive functions decline significantly, or if dementia sets in. I don't follow the DASH diet completely (I don't eat a significant amount of grains), but I do eat at least 5 fruits and veggies daily, along with low fat or non fat dairy products, and some nuts and legumes, and very little red meat (I don't think I even eat red meat once a week). I also watch my saturated fat and salt intake and try to keep both within suggested guidelines, and I try to maintain a normal weight. I don't feel deprived of anything. I love ice cream, so I buy the reduced fat varieties which are every bit as creamy and delicious but lower in calories. If I want potato chips, once in a while, I buy the baked variety, also lower in calories and with no more salt than I'd get in a half cup of cottage cheese. I buy reduced salt V8 juice and canned soup. When I eat bread it's generally whole grain. There's nothing I absolutely exclude from my diet, most things are in moderation and others are a very occasional treat.

I don't just want to live longer, I want to feel better, and be mentally sharp, for as long as possible. I want to enjoy life for as long as possible. I think lifestyle choices can be an important part of that, including what I eat.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 10:07 am
"health" based dieting has become an obsession for far too many people with not enough reality problems in their life (is it 8 or 10 glasses of water I should drink every day?)
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 11:22 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
"health" based dieting has become an obsession for far too many people with not enough reality problems in their life (is it 8 or 10 glasses of water I should drink every day?)
I think that a lot of people are sheep, and while they are not health nuts they do take seriously the "expert" opinions that they need to do x,y, z, aa, bb,cc, dd, ee,.......and so they add these regiments to their already busy lives. For many it is an obligation/guilt thing. The problem is that a lot of the advise eventually gets proven to be wrong, and these lists of things that we are told that we should do are both too long and are usually way oversold. The end result is that all of this noise will get tuned out, because people get tired, and get tired of getting lied to by people pushing agendas.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 11:33 am
seems to me that all too often those persons most enthusiastic about "healthy eating" are sitting at their computers with a extra large bag of chips, a 46 oz diet pepsi while waiting for their pizza hut delivery, a "stash" of candy somewhere in the house, a half-gallon of haagen dazs in the freezer and involved in an online debate about the "correct" amount of potassium one should have in ones diet.
0 Replies