Why are Atheists so Scary?

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:54 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
There is a difference between hypergeneralizing and saying "They Scare Me",

The title of this thread is, "why are atheists so scary?" Sorry, that's a hypergeneralization.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:57 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:
There is a difference between hypergeneralizing and saying "They Scare Me",

The title of this thread is, "why are atheists so scary?" Sorry, that's a hypergeneralization.

And you didn't bother to read the rest of the post to place it in context?
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 02:58 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
They always seem so angry and anger terrifies me as well" the SEEM angry", not a hypergeneralization, it is further exposition of his unsurity and anxiety.

So hypothetically, if I had answered, "I'm sorry you're feeling anxious; take a Prozac and you'll be fine", you would have considered that a valid response?
Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:00 pm
@GoshisDead,
I did. But given the headline the thread initiator picked, I construed his statement that "they scare me" as putting the blame for the scare on the atheists.
JTT

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:05 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

It might be considered as such, Thomas, if all the subsequent responders had stopped at the title. I doubt that any did. Did you?

If one did read on, it's not too difficult to consider that there was a meaning other than that which most took.

=====================
Why are Atheists so scary?

They scare me.

I have rationalised this into at least two positions. (more to come when I think on)

One; I am terrified of their truth taking away mine Truth.

Two; They always seem so angry and anger terrifies me as well.

=====================
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:06 pm
@Thomas,
Funny, I saw it as fairly self-depreciating when one of his speculated reasons was that they might cause him to question his own beliefs. Can't see what the fuss is about either, there are certainly some big generalizations but as an atheist can't bring myself to be the slightest bit offended (and am a bit surprised at how easily some of the forum heavyweights are claiming to be offended, I can't tell if I buy it).
wandeljw

@JTT,
Still, poor choice for a title.
JTT

@Thomas,
Quote:
But given the headline the thread initiator picked, I construed his statement that "they scare me" as putting the blame for the scare on the atheists.

Methinks a "construtation" too far, Thomas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:12 pm
@chad3006,
I'm ok, and hello, chad3006, we haven't talked before. It's probably just as well we talk about all this now. We 'origies' tend to bark more easily than you polite 'philos', some super polite in some ways. I don't think we all started out so straightforward - it has been a learning, back and forth, process.

An aside, I like the name twirlip, so I start out smiling on that.

Another aside: I've been an atheist of the small 'a' sort for 45 years. I have often given to charity, and I don't find this odd. Should I not have questioned the assumption that "the average person who does not believe in God hardly gives to charity." Do you folks propose we just roll over when sometimes sun talks? People have asked about his fears.

Anyway, I agree with Dosed here - http://able2know.org/topic/153140-2#post-4177481
Twirlip

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Well, you are trying to generate some now.

The difference between cultures is not huge.

If you like, I can point you to a couple of long and heated threads on the old PF, on religious topics, where yours truly took a lot of punches, and howled about it too.

When we got here, there were a lot of complaints from the PF side. I didn't complain. I couldn't see why sunshine sun, in particular, was feeling so dreadfully anxious about the move. I made no comment.

I immediately took part in a couple of existing a2k threads. I still sensed no culture clash. I was a little put out to see some complaints from a2kers about PFers hanging back and not taking part. But I still sensed no major problem.

Now I'm noticing something, not a huge difference, but a worrying one, and in the wrong direction. I have commented mildly on it. And when I do so, I am twice told that I am deliberately stirring up trouble. That is also a worrying sign.

I do not put it any more strongly than that.
JTT

@wandeljw,
I don't believe that is your decision to make, Wandeljw, though it is your right to voice an opinion on it.

I think it was a good choice, given the ideas SS expressed.

It was not a good choice if you are from the homeboy crowd, bent on seeing it as y'all see it.

I didn't know A2K had a probationary period.
GoshisDead

@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

anyone who has a passion for their position can seem angry or threatening

LOL quite right dj. I think I'll drop my whining now.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:15 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Why are Atheists so scary?

They scare me.

I have rationalised this into at least two positions. (more to come when I think on)

One; I am terrified of their truth taking away mine Truth.

Two; They always seem so angry and anger terrifies me as well.

You've answered your question.

You might have been more precise (Why are Atheists so scary to me) and avoided some of the displays of sensitivity we've seen in this thread.

It is amusing though when the offended go on the offense...in spades.

I know a lot of aetheists and they don't seem, as a rule, particularly angry. Sure, the ones who make a crusade of their right not to have the word "god" mentioned in their presence are generally filled with anger, and many may feel their blood pressure go up when people like me say I feel sorry for them, but I think it would be difficult to legitmately associate any one emotional characteristic to folks who consider themselves aetheists.

I will give you this though, quite a few aetheists do seem to justify their belief, or lack thereof, with a certain degree of outrage over the notion of a benign God allowing the suffereing that takes place on earth. In thinking back on such exchanges it does seem that they are often angry at a being they profess not to believe in.

As for your Truth, I get the impression from your one statement that you like to believe it more than you embrace it. Admittedly though, you haven't given us all that much to go on.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:22 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I don't believe that is your decision to make, Wandeljw, though it is your right to voice an opinion on it.

I think it was a good choice, given the ideas SS expressed.

It was not a good choice if you are from the homeboy crowd, bent on seeing it as y'all see it.

I didn't know A2K had a probationary period.

How does my post imply decision-making or a demand for probationary periods?

A title can set the tone of a thread. It is a poor choice in that sense.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:26 pm
@GoshisDead,
Speaking of listening to various camps, I listen to GoshisDead, even though I have no clear idea yet of his takes on issues. I worked up a post to argue with you a while back and held it, glad I did.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And Finn and I tend to disagree, we just do, but I nod along at this post. Except for the last part, which is sort of foreign to me.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:29 pm
I mentioned in the intro thread that what we needed was a few good arguments. We're making superb progress, I think.

Argumentative community building
R
T
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:33 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Speaking of listening to various camps, I listen to GoshisDead, even though I have no clear idea yet of his takes on issues. I worked up a post to argue with you a while back and held it, glad I did.

My first post in this thread is my opinion of the actual issue asked by the OP I'll repost it here so you don't have to scroll.
Cheers,
Russ
Quote:
The reason why you fear intolerant atheists is they call you stupid, ignorant, irrational etc... there is a social prestige premium on these things, no one wants to be called stupid ignorant and irrational. On the converse side the intolerant religious call atheists immoral, base, and currently unworthy of a diety's compassion. There is also a prestige premium on morality, worthyness, and sanctity. It really doesn't matter that the theist might be very intelligent and savvy, or the atheist is very moral and sancified in his realm. The issue here is not the belief system it is manner in which the practitioner approaches their own ideaology.

An intolerant person is going to draw lines about many things, especially if s/he feels threatened by the people who do not share their ideology. This is often the case in situations where one grows up in one ideological system and later changes. This change is never done without sincere and sustained internal trauma. This intolerance can also be an aversion to change when someone is raised in one system and is introduced to another but is so scared by it that they produce within themselevs or seek out externally an extreme reactionism or reactionist group in which to feel comfortable.

This intolerance happens in many more arenas than theology. It is one of the bases of racism, sexism, ageism, and every other culturally institutionalized form of discrimination. Both parties are participating in the root of discrimination, dehumanization. Oh you are stupid and irrational = you are less human than I because my ideology states that a human is a rational animal. You are immoral and unworthy = you are less human than I because human is one worthy of god's acceptance and guidance.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:34 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Well, you are trying to generate some now.

The difference between cultures is not huge.

If you like, I can point you to a couple of long and heated threads on the old PF, on religious topics, where yours truly took a lot of punches, and howled about it too.

When we got here, there were a lot of complaints from the PF side. I didn't complain. I couldn't see why sunshine sun, in particular, was feeling so dreadfully anxious about the move. I made no comment.

I immediately took part in a couple of existing a2k threads. I still sensed no culture clash. I was a little put out to see some complaints from a2kers about PFers hanging back and not taking part. But I still sensed no major problem.

Now I'm noticing something, not a huge difference, but a worrying one, and in the wrong direction. I have commented mildly on it. And when I do so, I am twice told that I am deliberately stirring up trouble. That is also a worrying sign.

I do not put it any more strongly than that.

Not to fret. We love ya.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2010 03:35 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

anyone who has a passion for their position can seem angry or threatening

LOL quite right dj. I think I'll drop my whining now.

I don't see it as whining.
0 Replies