Why are Atheists so Scary?

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
Why are Atheists so scary?

They scare me.

I have rationalised this into at least two positions. (more to come when I think on)

One; I am terrified of their truth taking away mine Truth.

Two; They always seem so angry and anger terrifies me as well.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 36 • Views: 33,502 • Replies: 561

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:19 pm
@sometime sun,
What the hell?

Sounds as though you have a pretty slender hold on your "truth" if you think people can take it away from you.

Angry? I find the fundamentalist religious groups angry.

If you are from the US, I can imagine you may meet angry atheists since it appears to be a problem to be an atheist in the US.

Almost everyone I know is an atheist, and religion is barely ever discussed. Apart from here, if I meet a religious person, I'll normally not make any comment on their beliefs out of politeness.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:22 pm
I don't understand why I frighten you. I am a normal person, who does all the normal things you do. I don't strangle babies. Don't beat my wife. I try to help others in need. I feel sorry for you.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
atheists are scary, I avoid looking in the mirror.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:31 pm
@dyslexia,
We could have a group mirror meet up and scare the whole lot of us..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:32 pm
@sometime sun,
Erm...also, if you are so scared of losing your "truth", I am curious as to why you were part of Philosophy Forum? Isn't the essence of philosophy that it examines and challenges EVERY "truth"?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
http://www.deviantart.com/download/123012399/Evil_Eyes_by_Blueeyedshortie.jpg
I ask you, do I look the least bit frightening?
Krumple

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
@sometime sun,
a minority group who gets bashed a lot will tend to have some anger issues from time to time when they are oppressed. Christians in the US try to claim all the time that they are being oppressed when they are the majority. The majority can not be oppressed. If anything theists oppress society by imposing their beliefs onto society and forcing politics to impose laws restricting certain behavior which ultimately leads to more problems not fewer.

You can't take someones truth away, you can only reveal to them that what they thought was truth was really just a lie.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@dlowan,
I should have said "possible positions".

I did not want to say fundamentalist Atheist because I am not sure they exist.

I am of course not talking about the masses who just don't pray or give to charity, I am talking about those who have actually come to the declaration to call them selves some thing they know of what they speak.

The atheist advocate in other words.

You surly did not think I meant any Tom Dick or Harry who does not go to church and reads the sports page and think God is a load of tosh.

The atheist advocate, that which I can hear speak out about the subject and have a hold upon what he is trying to convince others.

I was not talking about the silent majority who probably don't even care what an atheist is, as they are just that silent and I don't think I fear peace and quite.

Would all these people you know discuss Dawkins with you?
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
And you don't think this sounds angry if taken out of context?
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:42 pm
@dyslexia,
Thank you that is pleasant and funny
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:42 pm
edgarblythe scares the hell out of me , so does Debbie Lowan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:43 pm
In other words, if we be docile and keep our mouths shut, you might could tolerate us?
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:47 pm
@dlowan,
I am afraid of my truth being lost in so much as I am afraid of the unknown.

Are you not at all afraid the strength you find in your position being taken from you?
Or do you not think it possible to ever be convinced of any thing other ever in your life?

I joined Philforum to find people who would show me truth, just because I am terrified of something dose not mean I do not face it.
And just because I hold truth does not mean I suppose that my truth is any higher than yours.
Build a bridge and I may just have to get over my fear of water. (I'm not really afraid of water either)
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
You see now that is creative and warming and actually quite welcoming.
I thank you for this and wonder where your spirit (if you believe you hold this in any fashion) was when you first tried to make a mockery of me.
Mercer

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

Not frightening just ugly.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:55 pm
@Krumple,
Absolutely better put than me.
I am also terrified I will be believed a liar,
not always that I will lose my truth.

Another quick word on fear of losing truth;
I by making sure I do not diminish your truth must traverse the void often that is the possibility I can be wrong.
I wonder how many people in this world have the stones to live in such a way that they must actually take into whole account what someone else believes before that Of themselves.
I am terrifically brave in my constant terror. (It's more and less than just atheists)
0 Replies

Sentience

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 05:59 pm
@sometime sun,
If you can doubt your own truth that claims absoluteness, how can you call it truth?

Honestly, all philosophy aside, this is pretty ignorant. Perhaps the 'atheists' you know are numbered to one, Dawkin, and you've created a MASSIVE stereotype because of it.

Honestly, that statement has made me more angry then any other statement I've heard about atheism yet.

If I call your religion completely immoral, contradictory, and stupid, and claim that all theists are wrathful extremists who hate anyone that believes differently, and they get angry, then in a sense I am causing my own delusion.

Edit: Read on and saw your not so bad. Okay, I have no PROBLEM with people having irrational beliefs, as long as they don't cause you to perform actions I consider immoral. For example, if any Jew or Christian decided to follow like, half of the old testament, they would run around murdering gays and women who are not virgins that marry, which I consider immoral. This is where a problem starts. If your belief violates the freedom of another in any way, there's gonna be problems.

Otherwise, do what you must to keep your morality and happiness, it does not concern me.
kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:00 pm
@Mercer,
Mercer wrote:

Quote:

Not frightening just ugly.

I guess he resembles your mother then.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2010 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Absolutely not, what are you talking about?
But cannot you see how utterly horrid it is to hear someone say so off the cuff and dismissively "I feel sorry for you"
I don't ask for your pity,
And you must know such a remark is not an intelligent or rationally acceptable discourse to have with other people.
I am not asking you to be pleasant but I did not ask for you to be down right insulting and hurtful.
Surly you did not have honourable intention by flipping me off in such a way.
Perhaps I just got used to decent respectful behaviour and atmosphere from me and my fellow seekers of truth.

You really don't see it as an angry reactionary remark then?