Why are Atheists so Scary?

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:01 pm
my analogy is not unicorns.

it's sticks.

see, everyone can have a different kind of stick to suit them. but unless you are beating someone over the head with your stick, it's really not good for a lot.

it won't stop a robber with a gun. and you can't eat it.

but you can make it look however you please, and deep inside, it prolly makes you feel better...
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:01 pm
@dyslexia,
You would hardly give to a religious charity.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
@dlowan,
Then you have a very good circle of friends.

I guess I could also say generally There are more people who are religious who do not give to Charity than atheists don't, even percentage wise.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you wish to insist that there is as much intuitive reason to believe in unicorns as there is to believe in God, so be it.

I'm not going to push the matter beyond noting how amazing it is that intelligent people will so often rely on ignorance when it suits them.

You made an important change to what I said. I am not saying anything so general. You clearly find the belief in god to be intuitive. Littlek and I do not -- and you have been asking us about why we do not believe. I think that may be one important piece of it. The intuitiveness that you take for granted does not exist... for us.
sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What you are dancing with here is a belief in God but a rejection of humanities expression of his plan.

One need not identify oneself as an atheist becuase one cannot identify oneself as a Christian.

Agnostic, then. As I say, while I'm partial to Ganesh I otherwise am just whatever label best fits "not religious but not particularly anti-religion, either."

Quote:
The definition of "cool" doesn't include atheism.

No ****. (What does that have to do with anything?)
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:08 pm
@Butrflynet,
I do not think atheists are fools,
Did not watch it all, they bugged me a little,
But thanks for your efforts.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:09 pm
@dlowan,
Thank you for the reply
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@westwind,
VERY possible
0 Replies

ossobuco

@Finn dAbuzz,
That was long ago. Maybe I did or probably I didn't discuss it all with myself for a few minutes or one interesting hour - I remember it as just, I don't believe this stuff anymore. I've no interest in reconstructing the process, however lightening quick or minutes consuming it was: it was a realization.
dlowan

@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

I'd give to a religious charity if I thought it would get the job done best and that their religion did no harm to whatever they were doing.

For example, I think the Salvation Army are religious loonies, but I give to them because I know, in some of their projects, they are right in there in areas where people especially need practical help.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

That was long ago. Maybe I did or probably I didn't discuss it all with myself for a few minutes or one interesting hour - I remember it as just, I don't believe this stuff anymore. I've no interest in reconstructing the process, however lightening quick or minutes consuming it was: it was a realization.

Understood and respected.
failures art

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:12 pm
@dlowan,
I've donated to the Salvation army many times. I think they do good work.

A
R
T
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:14 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

where on earth do you dig up this ****?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:15 pm
@sometime sun,
Heard of the Salvation Army?

Well, never mind, you probably haven't. In any case, charity isn't a concept owned by the religious.
sometime sun

@Arjuna,
Arjuna you always offer more than is standard.
You offer me answers and explanations and a thoroughly detail and descriptive point of view.
I love you for your attention to detail and honesty.
Live long and prosper widely dear friend.
0 Replies

failures art

Finn - You may not consider this thread to have a direction, but I think the original poster is very specifically hoping to talk through a number of personal issues. Can we move discussion to the other thread? I've addressed on of your posts from this thread there.

A
R
T
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
He's been told.

Sun, I think you should find a kinder, gentler church to go to just to reduce your own anxiety level.
0 Replies

sometime sun

@Tor Hershman,
I thank you for your supply of knowledge.
It is always welcome
0 Replies

ehBeth

@dyslexia,
That was SS's effort to clarify an earlier post that you suggested you didn't understand. It appears s/he's trying to put it into simpler English.

S/he's got a habit of responding post by post instead of reading a thread and seeing where the discussion has moved onto.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
'k.
0 Replies