Why are Atheists so Scary?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:19 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If you wish to insist that there is as much intuitive reason to believe in unicorns as there is to believe in God, so be it.

I'm not going to push the matter beyond noting how amazing it is that intelligent people will so often rely on ignorance when it suits them.

You made an important change to what I said. I am not saying anything so general. You clearly find the belief in god to be intuitive. Littlek and I do not -- and you have been asking us about why we do not believe. I think that may be one important piece of it. The intuitiveness that you take for granted does not exist... for us.

Sorry sozobe but you introduced the unicorn analogy. Don't fault me because I responded to it.

If you don't find a belief in God to be intuitive, that's fine, but don't try and compare it to a belief in unicorns if you don't want to be called on your comparison.

So you are the personification of the scientific method. Good on you.

How did it all start?

You can't answer that question of course, but tell me why "I have no effin clue," is more intellectually compelling than "There must have been a creative force?"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:20 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What you are dancing with here is a belief in God but a rejection of humanities expression of his plan.

One need not identify oneself as an atheist becuase one cannot identify oneself as a Christian.

Agnostic, then. As I say, while I'm partial to Ganesh I otherwise am just whatever label best fits "not religious but not particularly anti-religion, either."

Quote:
The definition of "cool" doesn't include atheism.

No ****. (What does that have to do with anything?)

"Partial to Ganesh" says it all.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:21 pm
@salima,
I don't want to alarm anyone or upset them.
I love you dearly, this seemed a pursuit we would spend more time on back home as well.

Not saying they don't here, just finding it hard at the moment
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:22 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Finn - You may not consider this thread to have a direction, but I think the original poster is very specifically hoping to talk through a number of personal issues. Can we move discussion to the other thread? I've addressed on of your posts from this thread there.

A
R
T

No, it had no direction until of late.

Let the original poster post whatever he desires, and we will post whatever we desire.

When has it ever been otherwise on A2K?
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:24 pm
@salima,
Yes sadly I am having a bit of a culture shock as well.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:25 pm
@Tor Hershman,
Thank you for this, it looks very creative, when I have the time I will give it more attention.
Thank you for you r participation.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Since it won't hurt. Why don't you come over to the other thread. I'll address your requests there.

You said you were interested in my reasoning. Are you not interested enough to talk about it in that thread? If you are, that is where I will address it.

http://able2know.org/topic/153308-1

A
R
T
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:27 pm
@Arjuna,
I wish I could close the blooming thing,
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:28 pm
@qwertyportne,
Thank you this is informative and expressive.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you for a very thorough and explanatory post, it goes some way to calming fears.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:36 pm
@littlek,
Oh dear lady, anything you have I would love to spend more time with you on but I am in a bit of a rush.
I love that the thread found a bit more of a heart with your posts as I found you really looking for answers.
Derail away I never mind that, just mind if and when I am misconstrued or that I misrepresent myself.
You are always welcome.
See not afraid at all.
All my best
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I have worked closely with the Salvation Army.

This is a rather good education I am gaining.

I don't think I know All
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:43 pm
@sometime sun,
Quote:
You are always welcome.
See not afraid at all.
All my best

You're a charmer, sun!
sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:46 pm
@littlek,
Would rather be a calmer, (sun smile)
littlek

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:48 pm
@sometime sun,
And a sense of humor too!
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:49 pm
Now I am caught up I may very well avoid it for a few days,
so anyone I have not fully and respectfully addressed I apologise,
this has not been easy.

All my best
sometime sun
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:51 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Yes I will make sure my feelings are kept yo myself in future.

Well, given that you have done no such thing, I'll take that as untrue.

Given that it appears that you are seeking help with these scared feelings, what are you wanting from people? Just that they murmur sympathetically? That people offer to die first to protect you from challenge?

Or are you wanting to overcome these fears?

Much of what you believe about atheists is ridiculous (yes, I know you move the goal posts when challenged...and on this one you moved it to "atheism" not "atheists"...but I don't buy that distinction)...did you want us to SUPPORT these beliefs?

In my view much of the anxiety we give ourselves, and that you give yourself, is not reality based but the result of irrational beliefs.

I have no comment to make on your religion...I can't disprove your god, and have no interest in converting theists. But when you have fears of atheists and some of the fears are totally unreal and irrational, and you continue to post about them here, then I will challenge those beliefs.

It's not saying that YOU are necessarily irrational, we ALL have irrational beliefs..and yours seem to be causing you distress. (I have a number that cause me distress too, and I challenge the hell out of them.)

Actually, most of these demonisations and fairy tales you distress yourself with about atheism seem to me to be smoke-screens for a much more realistically based existential anxiety...about emptiness and meaningless and mortality..."the void" if you will.

That's a fear most of us face (unless, I suppose, so embedded in some religion or other, that we never think for ourselves) and deal with. Part of the human condition and all.

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 04:59 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

If by this you mean this thread, you can simply stop posting on it or looking at it.

With some threads of mine that have not gone anywhere I was interested in going, or where I had become too emotional, I simply thumbed down my own thread and made it invisible to me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:03 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

You can't, but you can stop posting (is that possible for you?)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 05:04 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Since it won't hurt. Why don't you come over to the other thread. I'll address your requests there.

You said you were interested in my reasoning. Are you not interested enough to talk about it in that thread? If you are, that is where I will address it.

http://able2know.org/topic/153308-1

A
R
T

It can't, and I will.
0 Replies