Why are Atheists so Scary?

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
I should have been broader, Hardly any one gives to charity. Whether you believe in God or not Hardly enough give to Charity.
But Charity to me does also mean a religious constructed love.
And if an atheist you are hardly going to give to a religious love or construct.

My bad use of words, I was confused, still am a bit, I know I was trying to make a point in there somewhere, and it was definitely NOT that Atheist don't give to charity.
I will try to dig it out, but as said I got a little confused about that one, so for now let us just say I was wrong and move on until I think I can prove I was right.

Thanks
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:54 pm
@sometime sun,
I don't give a **** about religious love. I do have human compassion. I am working to not swear at you, you with the imbecilic takes on how life works.
Please do not wish me a nice day with sunshine.

Thank you.

Yet more bs -
http://able2know.org/topic/145178-1
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:58 pm
Quote:
Hardly any one gives to charity

You have done it again. A broad sweeping statement that has no basis in fact certainly in my country anyway.
Most people i know make some kind of effort. Even those that dont make an effort give time or skills to my community if asked.
0 Replies

dlowan

@sometime sun,
Quote:
This is a fear as well, that an atheists is generally alone and highly singular, and although I don't really have that many people in my life I can kiss goodnight, I feel that those who have to stand alone against their world are very solitary beings and the solitary are usually who we fear first, no justification for it but their it is, we fear the outsider, and although myself a hermit and solitary being myself I still feel communal and that I am not so alone.
Of course I am not saying atheists are lonely people, I am saying they are more likely to be perceived as such.

SS, where do you GET these beliefs from?

Has someone told you all this?

What on earth has led you to believe all these things?

Just look at a few of them!

. Atheists don't give to charity.

. Atheists are all alone.

. Atheists have no joy or love

I am assuming either some sort of constant preaching from somewhere?

Or...are these your own inner greatest fears, and what you protect yourself from with your religion?

dyslexia

@sometime sun,
Quote:
And if an atheist you are hardly going to give to a religious love or construct.
I really have no idea that this statement means.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, I messed up links, but I'm still seriously pissed.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You've answered your question.

You might have been more precise (Why are Atheists so scary to me) and avoided some of the displays of sensitivity we've seen in this thread.

Yes I am quickly learning my sensitivity is taken as either my weakness or my antagonism.
Grow some plums me thinks, or not

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It is amusing though when the offended go on the offense...in spades.

I did not find it in the slightest amusing.
But if it made you smile, I am glad it at least did that.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I know a lot of aetheists and they don't seem, as a rule, particularly angry. Sure, the ones who make a crusade of their right not to have the word "god" mentioned in their presence are generally filled with anger, and many may feel their blood pressure go up when people like me say I feel sorry for them, but I think it would be difficult to legitmately associate any one emotional characteristic to folks who consider themselves aetheists.

There is saying you feel sorry for someone and belittling them and saying you feel sorry for some one and try to be compassionate, I hope you practice the latter.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I will give you this though, quite a few aetheists do seem to justify their belief, or lack thereof, with a certain degree of outrage over the notion of a benign God allowing the suffereing that takes place on earth. In thinking back on such exchanges it does seem that they are often angry at a being they profess not to believe in.

As for your Truth, I get the impression from your one statement that you like to believe it more than you embrace it. Admittedly though, you haven't given us all that much to go on.

My Truth with the capital was meant to indicate that my Truth was God.
Oh Christianity is so hard to embrace, I used to be a pagan and find myself slipping regularly into those ways.
But I love Jesus Christ and I love my almost Christianity and worship my Scriptures.
That is about all I have to say right now as I am winding down.

Pleased to meet you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:03 pm
@sometime sun,
One more and I'll just give up, we have a lunatic on our hands -

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
@chai2,
In the thread start I use the word "seem" angry,
maybe I am fooling myself,
maybe because I don't necessarily feel it I may indeed not really believe that I do fear them.

Thank you for giving me something to really think over.
Perhaps it is just a sighted man thinking he blind because he is wearing dark glasses.
Time to take them off.

Thank you and nice to be near you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:05 pm
@dlowan,
Nods to dlowan on that, it reminds me of my childhood, which was milder, but similar.
dadpad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
@ossobuco,

Quote:
we have a lunatic on our hands -

That was about the stupidest statement I have ever heard you utter osso.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a great recipe for a vegetarian lasangna if you ever want it
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
It is going to take awhile for Sunshine to catch up to tonight's comments. He's still on page 7 of 14.

I'll check back in tomorrow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Nods to dlowan on that, it reminds me of my childhood, which was milder, but similar.

Are you saying you were told these sorts of things about atheists?

Is this a common thing, do you think, to be told such things?

I mean, I am sure the fundy bits of most religions do that, but would it be something middle of the road christians would say in the US?
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:16 pm
@Twirlip,
I am getting there and if you wish to send me your 'rant' I would love to read it.

All the best
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

One more and I'll just give up, we have a lunatic on our hands -

Erm...I think almost everyone I know socially gives to charity!

Especially my most atheist friends, as they all give via an Australian Council of Trade Unions organised fund!
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I got you response thanks for taking part,
Did you get my latest one for you?

Never mind no need to answer I will see when there.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:20 pm
@dlowan,
Yes and that I will lose God
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:21 pm
@dlowan,
Dlowan, take a look at this site for some of the answers to your questions about the source of the stereotyping:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Atheism

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:23 pm
@dadpad,
I've been nice for days, re this poetical prince like person..

I was not a lunatic in my confusion, either, in the early sixties. But I see the flailing, and, naturally, the insulting.

Lunatic, no I don't mean Sometimes is mentally disabled - did you take it that way? I rather like him. But.. boy needs to get a grip.
0 Replies