36
   

Why are Atheists so Scary?

 
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:09 pm
@sometime sun,
Of course it's derision.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:10 pm
@sometime sun,
Ok, now I get it. You control yourself via faith, because of fear of self.

Not being accusing, summarizing. (Am I scary yet?)
0 Replies
 
failures art
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

failures art wrote:

Some people think there is glory in being a martyr.

A
R
T

I don't think I would use the word glory, but then I don't like the word even when I meet it in Scripture, I am suspicious of it, I will try and think of a word I would use for what I think describes the martyr.

Interestingly enough, I was pointing out another poster who was attempting to leverage a victim mentality (read: Martyr mentality). However, due to the topic of this thread, it does have a double meaning...

A
R
T
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Quote:
I guess that none of them will have felt offended by what sometime sun wrote, because they know him.


Which is why some of us are asking to learn more about him, starting with some background info. We'd like to get to know him so we may better understand his anxieties.

This does also make a very good point that I may have been far to overly open and familiar on this forum before any of you had come to know me.
I can now see how I could be suspect,
I am just used to not being a source of suspicion,
And I hope you will come to know I rarely and often naively never am suspecting enough about my self.
I still don't doubt my self or intention for this thread.
If I am ever out and out wrong about the giving of myself and the receiving of you I will be good enough to prove I see my error.
And change.
It seems I have a lot to learn and a lot to change.

You will get to know me through my thoughts, ponderousness, ideas, words, posts and descriptive expressionisms.
Fast because I share my thoughts openly and post often.
You will soon see me around and come to know me better through my participation than some blurb I do not feel equipped to write in 500 words or less.
I will be writing a book this summer,
maybe I will share this with you all?
I have blonde hair and usually some on my chin.

All the best.
hue-man
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:42 pm
@salima,
Thanks, Salima. I miss the old forum, though!
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:46 pm
@failures art,
The origins of fear,
both rational and irrationality,
Psychology of fear,
Origin of personal perception,
Endings of personal perception,
Justifiable or Not prejudice,
Atheistic form and muscle,
Theistic form and weakness,
Me, Me, Me (smile)
You, You,You.
How to cure fear,
How to cure ignorance,
How to cure awareness.

Just a few topics this thread could have taken.
But it was believed to be an assault not a genuine need and search for answers and discussion and advice and solution.

And it is not "scared" it is just scared.

Thanks
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:57 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

What I saw was a person asking an advice type question. People jumping down his throat calling him stupid and various other related insults, that same person tyring to express that it was agenuine question not troll bait. More calling him stupid and defaming the things he believes in. Then the same people having to audacity to wonder why the OP is anxious about the people who answered the thread.

Thank you GoshisDead this is total truth.
And yet I am still sore at myself for not thinking it could be an easy target for trolls, another fear I am having to face here and finally accept they are real.
I may very well have been sheltered back home as I don't think there was one troll amongst us, sure some unpleasant things were said sometimes, but I don't recall one troll ever there.
Out under the elements now.
Hope I don't let the exposure chill my bones.

GoshisDead wrote:

I could care less what the thread is about, it happens all over this board. It has happned in theology posts, political posts, art posts, philosphy posts, relationship posts, it has even happened in should i ask my BF to get circumcized posts. Granted thus is the common ground of general forum culture, I was just hoping that in moving here there would be a congenial and tolerant atmosphere. Debate is debate, slander, anechdotalism, synechdotalism, straw men, ad hominem, hyper generalization, and absurdum do not belong in a debate. Sun could have cared less and I would not be dissapointed in this thread were this actually an attempt to answer a question that sparked genuine debate, but it wasn't.

No it was not really and genuine ask for debate but there was always the chance for it,
or at the very least my immediate concern could be dispelled that atheists are nothing to fear.

Thank you for your truth, you know me quite well, I am glad of that and your shoulder.
All me best.
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
So there is no room for personal inspection intro or otherwise and no personal analysis?

Just asking, not saying you are wrong, maybe this is how the place runs?

Thanks
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:17 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Thomas wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:
Debate is debate, slander, anechdotalism, synechdotalism, straw men, ad hominem, hyper generalization, and absurdum do not belong in a debate.

That's quite true. And yet you conspicuously aren't directing this criticism to the person who started the thread by asserting that atheists are scary---which is a slanderous, anecdotal, straw-man, ad-hominem, hyper-generalizing absurdum. Most of the others just called sometime sun's foul, quite correctly in my opinion. That's not intolerance, just karma.


Quote:
Why are Atheists so scary?

They scare me.

I have rationalised this into at least two positions. (more to come when I think on)

One; I am terrified of their truth taking away mine Truth.

Two; They always seem so angry and anger terrifies me as well.



There is a difference between hypergeneralizing and saying "They Scare Me", "I am terrified of their truth taking away mine Truth". this is a personal observation and an introspection. It implies that he is unsure of himself. Unsure of his relationship with his own truth and that of an atheist. "They always seem so angry and anger terrifies me as well" the SEEM angry", not a hypergeneralization, it is further exposition of his unsurity and anxiety.

So no it was not an assertion, it was not an aspersion. I can see someone being suspicious of it being a troll post. It seems it wasn't a troll post, but troll bait. If it was designed to be troll bait, we all took it and shame on us, but it was not a post condemning or judging atheists, if it was judging anyone it was a post judging the author.

I agree with almost everything here.
However it was NOT troll bait,
As I said in a post I just sent, I am so used to no trolls I did not believe they existed, I am also not calling anyone so far who replied to this a troll, merely misunderstanding of me and my position and intentions and sadly was counter to what I thought was implied in the first place, personal inspection and personal information looking to be corrected and salved.
There REALLY was no other intention but to find answers to a problem, my problem, which I clearly state that is my " seemed problem" not my only position and not my wanted resolution.

Thanks
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:19 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

anyone who has a passion for their position can seem angry or threatening



Yes I have always found atheists very passionate.
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:25 pm
Good. I'm an atheist, and it's about time someone found I was scary.
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:26 pm
@Thomas,
Personally I would have found it valid, because it at least it has a compassionate ring to it, it would have gone nowhere to addressing or solving the problem because drugs don't really solve inner turmoil.
But I would have thanked you sincerely for the compassion.

All my best thanks,
And I am still sorry you felt compartmentalised and branded as scary beings.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  0  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:28 pm
@sometime sun,
I think it might be a good idea to put your shovel away.

0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:29 pm
@Thomas,
I wish there were a way for me to prove to you it was not against atheists.

All I can say is that in the original I tried to say clearly that I was having a job and task at rationalising myself, and that I was indeed looking for more rationalisations by saying (more to come) which I thought indicated that even I thought I was the one being irrational and that I was asking you to rationalise me and that it was an unfinished symphony.

Thanks
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:34 pm
@JTT,
Thank you, even the original title was meant as a calling card for other people to put down their fears as well if anyone else had them, but what I really tried and failed was to show that it was irrational to feel this way so if you have a fear of atheists come here and we may all be able to heal each other.
That is all it meant, I am sorry for any ones confusion and for myself being the source of it.
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:36 pm
@sometime sun,
So, it was an anti atheist heal thread?
I guess that's ok, but please be more clear.
I'd skip that one.
Butrflynet
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:36 pm
Sun, do me (and you) a favor and skip over to read my post to you on your Embarrassment thread.
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I thought I was actually facing my fears by putting them down honestly.
Not many people I have ever known who have faith are honest enough to say a reason for them fearing atheists is that they think that their truth may in fact hold a very real possibility it could one day become my truth.

Thank you, you got me right.
0 Replies
 
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:40 pm
@wandeljw,
Oh absolutely, I may have just justified my self for putting it down, but I have made a correction to this and I think I would now rather say in the title "Why am I so scared of Atheists" or even "What is my problem?" or even "Help, I don't like myself very much for this feeling".

Thank you.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:42 pm
@sometime sun,
probably in self defense re you..
 

Related Topics

What is the most valuable thing you own? - Discussion by BumbleBeeBoogie
Has there been a roll call? - Discussion by gustavratzenhofer
Here's another Trump thread... - Discussion by tsarstepan
Should I be offended? - Question by the prince
How desperate can a christian get? - Discussion by reasoning logic
Is A2K A Religion? - Question by mark noble
Top o' the Mornin' to Ya! - Question by Transcend
8/31/05 : Gas Prices - Discussion by Ken cv
 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/17/2024 at 03:53:59