Why are Atheists so Scary?

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:25 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

but I am glad to see there is a counter-revolution going on!

Please could you describe this further for me, because although I have admitted I am fearful, atheism is also very interesting to me.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:26 pm
@dlowan,
I can't remember exact details that I was prompted re hate, but, really re hate, more re scenarios.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@dlowan,
I'll try to be honest on this. My main memory is of Sr.M. Anthony telling us not not let go re marital experience. Atheists were at the fringe of such discussions.
Pleasure in marriage was the question, the answer being no.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:30 pm
@dlowan,
That is very good to know,

I cant not be personal.

You'll see soon just how exposing I can be and that it is nothing to doubt.
I'll prove it to you all my intentions are honourable and true.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:34 pm
@hue-man,
Yes perhaps I need to put away the ale. (sun smile)

Great to see you made it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I admit I knew nothing at all when I was fourteen. I later learned from books. But I do not exaggerate the no's we heard, circa 1955-1959 in, of all places, west los angeles.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:38 pm
@dlowan,
Take a few minutes and listen to this video. A few parts of it are nearly verbatum to what Sunshine has written:

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:43 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

sometime sun wrote:

Yes I would never presume that one, my fears are justified and two, that I have the right to force my fear onto another.

I live my life 'not knowing' and although I think it is credible and honest for me, by knowing I know not I am afraid of the truth taking away not just my truth but my fence as well, but the wonderful thing is that I can be less afraid of the lie.

dlowan wrote:

Ok...here's the bit (if I understand you correctly) that makes it hard for me to understand why you remain anxious about atheism taking away your truth.

In fact, the very fact that you can articulate that makes me puzzled.

Here, I will be coming from a psychological rather than philosophical viewpoint.

Both in research, and in my experience, fear that appears to be irrational stems from the fear being something that we are too frightened to face or even think about consciously.

You fear another world view might convince you that your "truth" is false.

Yet...you speak as though you have already faced that fear, and are able to live with it...that you daily understand that, at any moment, you might be convinced that your religious beliefs are false, or at least unsupported.

While the ability to reflect upon a fear (the key, I think) and rationally understand it does not necessarily eliminate fear (eg fear of death!), it tends to make it less intense and mysterious.

Yet (possibly quite erroneously? Please tell me if I have misinterpreted your words) it seems that this fear of atheism "taking" your truth seems to be still an intense and mysterious fear for you?

I would have thought that you were beyond this point, simply because you ARE facing your fear.

I am wondering if the word "taking" is a clue here?

I don't see how another belief system can "take" your beliefs....I think it can cause you to abandon them...but it cannot take anything from you.

I am wondering if the key question is "How might I find meaning in my life without religion?"

This is a healthy post and I like it.

"Taking" because I would really rather not not live with out my Truth.
Because it may mean I have "more" truth, but I feel it would lessen me.
Because I see the atheistic truth as a lessening, as a subtraction not as an addition.
I understand any truth can be very barren.
And at the moment my faith affords me a rich supply of thought and comfort and sanity.
I say "take" because my faith "gave" me my sanity.

I hope this makes sense, there is some more to it than that but I am unwinding now and my pillow is starting to hum to me.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:46 pm
@jeeprs,
Thank you Jeeprs great to see you.

Perhaps that is all I need to do is replace my 'scary' with the word 'cranky' and I can start the process of being able to laugh at my fear instead of crying over it.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:49 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

dlowan wrote:

but I am glad to see there is a counter-revolution going on!

Please could you describe this further for me, because although I have admitted I am fearful, atheism is also very interesting to me.

In my view, the last 10 to 20 years have seen an alarming resurgence in the influence of religion upon politics and public policy...especially religion at its most hateful, fundamentalist worst.

This is very clear in the USA, in the Middle East, in places like Afghanistan and throughout what have historically been religiously moderate Muslim countries like Indonesia and Turkey.

It is emerging in my own country.

It would be naive to put all this down to religion alone, but I think it has played a strong part.

I am glad to see a counter flood of agnostic and atheist discourse which challenges both the beliefs and the political influence.

I am also glad to see religious folk condemning these out-pourings of religious hate.

The books I am currently reading happen to be by a woman who has (just) retained her Muslim faith..Irshad Manji...and one who has abandoned it...Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Both have shown great courage in speaking out about the excesses of their own religion.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:00 pm
@dlowan,
I'm starting to do a big no on Hirsi Ali, but that is another thread. Anyway, I generally agree with you.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:01 pm
@sometime sun,
That's right . . . now atheists are cranky. And, of course, immoral, uncaring, ungenerous . . . so long as you can continue to smear with invidious labels an entire class of people whose lack of interest in your superstitions frightens you, everything will be all right. Your imaginary friend will still love you and hate the bad, nasty atheists.

Putz.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Take a few minutes and listen to this video. A few parts of it are nearly verbatum to what Sunshine has written:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3P7ZISJuxQ[/youtube]

Now why would an Atheist get upset/mad/angry about that?

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:04 pm
@failures art,
Why would I look at it? I like Bfn, but I've no interest in chasing links on religion issues.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm
I am sorry again I did not catch up today to either this thread or my prayer one, which I am hoping failures art has added to what I have been most expectant in my anticipation of him.
So sorry I did not address you all today or my tonight, but my time has run me down.

Have a great Sunday everybody who is having one and have a great any other day for those who have any other day to spend.

All my best courage to you all my courageous fellowship.
sometime sun
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Dear osso, don't bother watching it. It's awful. Pure awful.

A
R
T
plainoldme

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:10 pm
An article in Alternet proposed that we are all born atheists because one has to be taught about god.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm starting to do a big no on Hirsi Ali, but that is another thread.

So make one?
westwind

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:12 pm
atheists are so scary just because you are s0 timid
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 10:16 pm
@dlowan,
Not tonight, maybe tomorrow. I like her, but she is not simple.
0 Replies