Why are Atheists so Scary?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:05 pm
@Twirlip,
Thanks for that clue to you, Twirlup. (My family was from County Mayo)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:10 pm
@sometime sun,
Yes, it is false. Wherever did you get the idea that people who don't believe in gods don't participate in charitable acts? Was that an extrapolation from St. Paul, or some such? (I forget all these guys; as I said somewhere, it has been 45 years.) Care for people not yourself is not an owned behavior for believers alone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@salima,
Tell us about westwind..

I trust he or she is sardonic?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:34 pm
@Krumple,
Back when the earth was young and I was a catholic, accepting evolutionary theory was fine, as long as you took it that there is a First Cause, an Aquinas type take, if I remember correctly.

I have a second point, not precisely re your post, but I forget it, since a2k gave me a flood timeout, no doubt for good reason, and I got distracted. Back in a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@dlowan,
Ah, dlowan. I'm so glad you exist.

(ok, now, back to my normal snottiness)
salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

coolie13 wrote:

I'm with you there, philosophy really can be anything, its universal in its avenues, you can take it any which way with just a smidget of logic. You are right, we are destroying ourselves being authoratative but then again, humans are intellectual beings and part of knowing or learning is attaining information from a source so those in a way are rules that your following. Why do we put such philosophers as socrates and kant in high regard if in reality, we really could simply dismiss all there works?

Lord of the flies.

How are we any different? It's such a funny book if you take the concept and just place it onto society. People no matter what age they are, just simply think themselves as knowing what is right and what is wrong with the world. However if this were true, that there was some fundamental ability to know with absolute certainty what is right and what is wrong, it would be painfully obvious to set these rules into place. However; we can't because there are no fundamentally right or wrong things, they are completely subjective and even require contexts.

But we are still childish mentally. Sure we might age but our mentalities are still childish. We come up with theses compete BS statements like right and wrong are fundamentally known but they aren't. Others get carried off by these lies and society continues to be duped by simple logical fallacies.

Adults are just tall children who believe they know better. In in fact they are only guessing and assuming they are right.

The point of philosophy is to find away that we can agree on a method in which will cause the least amount of damage. Religion obviously has failed that and people are starting to realize that religion is not the answer to the humanistic problems. The sooner we all realize this, the sooner we can take steps to find a better solution. But those who want to drag their feet and muddy the water with nonsense and logical fallacies only hold back progress.

We will get there, but it requires that humanity does some growing up mentally. Shed these superstitions and make believe fantasies called religion.

funny, i just thought of lord of the flies last night...

people have begin to realize that religion is not the answer, yes...but most of them are not looking any further or thinking there is any answer. most of them dont even seem to know there is a question.

shedding fantasies is only the first step, you are right. there is a lot of carrying wood and fetching wter yet to be done...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, well, I lost my second point. Maybe it'll perk up again.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:14 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

The reason why you fear intolerant atheists is they call you stupid, ignorant, irrational etc... there is a social prestige premium on these things, no one wants to be called stupid ignorant and irrational. On the converse side the intolerant religious call atheists immoral, base, and currently unworthy of a diety's compassion. There is also a prestige premium on morality, worthyness, and sanctity. It really doesn't matter that the theist might be very intelligent and savvy, or the atheist is very moral and sancified in his realm. The issue here is not the belief system it is manner in which the practitioner approaches their own ideaology.

I suppose also my fear is a fear of words, be they name calling or of the convicting descriptive variety,
I live in and through words.
Utterly captured and freed by them.
This is something I wished I had made more clear, that the fear is that predominantly of atheistic language.
Yes at least an atheist wont damn you to hell,
Which on the two occasions in my life I have been damned to the pit I quaked with fear (still do) and the people who damned me were not atheists.
Yes I often wonder if it is the very ideology that requires such a hard use of language.
And whether different ideologies for different textures of language?
GoshisDead wrote:

An intolerant person is going to draw lines about many things, especially if s/he feels threatened by the people who do not share their ideology. This is often the case in situations where one grows up in one ideological system and later changes. This change is never done without sincere and sustained internal trauma. This intolerance can also be an aversion to change when someone is raised in one system and is introduced to another but is so scared by it that they produce within themselevs or seek out externally an extreme reactionism or reactionist group in which to feel comfortable.

But sometimes I do respect the intolerant more than those who merely tolerate you.
An intolerant person will tell you where to go and get off, but a tolerant person will let you stay but make your life miserable.
This is not the case, of course, that tolerance is not a divine state but just that some people under the guise of tolerance use it as a torture device.
Yes faith is a very physical thing that can literally be like having an organ or limb ripped from.
You have to learn how to walk again.
And it may very well be harder for an adult to relearn to walk than it is for a child to learn for the first time.
The trauma makes for the extremes a counterpart, yes I can see that.

GoshisDead wrote:

This intolerance happens in many more arenas than theology. It is one of the bases of racism, sexism, ageism, and every other culturally institutionalized form of discrimination. Both parties are participating in the root of discrimination, dehumanization. Oh you are stupid and irrational = you are less human than I because my ideology states that a human is a rational animal. You are immoral and unworthy = you are less human than I because human is one worthy of god's acceptance and guidance.

but life goes on I suppose.
I'll be awaiting the hate flames from both sides.

Discrimination is criminal.

Yes no one likes to feel less human than the whole.

Thanks for a quality post.
GoshisDead not sure you are going to like this song but it came to mind.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:21 pm
@sometime sun,
I loved Zombie before zombie went solo
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:24 pm
I take this all as in under a veil of religion, but not related only to religion.

quoting, sometime sun,
"I suppose also my fear is a fear of words, be they name calling or of the convicting descriptive variety, I live in and through words."

I see, from here, Sometimes Sun as a sheltered and on many levels a protected boy of sensitivity re language and, yes, thoughts, trying to grow up. I don't mean this as condescending. I was sheltered myself, for a bit, but over my life, only a small percentage of time..

I have what will sound like a cheap sounding answer, but I don't mean it that way, not cheap. Sometimes Sun, I hope you will just read some ordinary fiction. I was an isolated teen, and fiction opened my eyes to the whole world.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:26 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Yes, believe it or not my faith is very fun, very communal as well, a faith is a great source of entertainment and yes even diversion.
But then I love reading Scripture

This is a fear as well, that an atheists is generally alone and highly singular, and although I don't really have that many people in my life I can kiss goodnight, I feel that those who have to stand alone against their world are very solitary beings and the solitary are usually who we fear first, no justification for it but their it is, we fear the outsider, and although myself a hermit and solitary being myself I still feel communal and that I am not so alone.
Of course I am not saying atheists are lonely people, I am saying they are more likely to be perceived as such.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:29 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:
but a tolerant person will let you stay but make your life miserable.

I think you're describing a passive-aggressive person, not a tolerant person.

A tolerant person will endeavour to leave you and your beliefs alone, whether or not they agree.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:31 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Some people think there is glory in being a martyr.

A
R
T

I don't think I would use the word glory, but then I don't like the word even when I meet it in Scripture, I am suspicious of it, I will try and think of a word I would use for what I think describes the martyr.
failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:34 pm
@sometime sun,
You would be afraid if you were perceived as lonely? People will perceive many things about you whether it's true or not. That goes for all people, not just Atheists.

Forgive me here, I don't know you very well yet, but "lonely" is kind of the vibe I get off of you.

If you were to become an atheist, do you think your friends and loved ones would abandon you? I have not been abandoned by the people I love because I don't believe in any gods. I think if anything, Atheists have a great appreciation for community and cooperation, because without some deity, all we have is each other.

A
R
T
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:36 pm
@sometime sun,
This is a fear as well, that an atheists is generally alone and highly singular,

no, no, we're normal.

..feel that those who have to stand alone against their world are very solitary beings ..
yet more projection

Of course I am not saying atheists are lonely people, I am saying they are more likely to be perceived as such.
by which isolated community of zealots?

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:40 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Who perceives atheists as lonely people? Is that your perception?

It is certainly not my perception that atheists are lonely people.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Sometimes, I don't care what you end up thinking - work stuff out yourself, either way or ways in between.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I will respond to this thread this one last time. Yesterday, I thumbed it down, to keep myself from saying something I should keep to myself.

The originator of the thread complains atheists are angry. That’s true, to an extent. It arises from frustration. When I was a kid, I struggled very hard to accommodate the religious way of life. Went to church and all. But, I lay awake many a night, struggling to resolve the inner conflict. Finally, I accepted my atheism and stopped going to church.
It was a complaint like what you go to the doctor for,
I am sorry if it or I came across as moaning and judgemental I try always my best not to be.

edgarblythe wrote:

At very nearly the same time, the Pledge of Allegiance was altered, to read, “One nation, under God,” in part. It was a slap in the face. After all that struggle, I am suddenly expected to say that phrase every school morning. I simply remained silent.

Mostly, I kept my thoughts to myself. But, at age 20, I became very nearly engaged to be married. Then, she asked about my religion. I told her the truth. A friend in the room stood up, aghast. “Well, you can’t marry him.”

But, the girl said she could. All that it would take to make it right would be for me to go to church every Sunday.

We did not marry.

From that point on, every time a person discovered my atheism, they got in my face and insisted I had to be like them. A friend that failed in his attempt to convince me brought over his friend. The friend says, “I don’t want to argue. I only want to discuss it.”

After I got a sentence or two out, he began screaming, until I had to walk away.

When I served in the Navy, three of the guys decided I needed to be harassed. They began putting a Bible on top of my rack (bed) every time I left the room. I told the one named Yancy, “The next time somebody does that, I am going to rip it in half.”

Yancy figured that nobody would do such a thing. He also figured I could not be that strong.

Well, I went down the ladder to our quarters that evening, and there it lay, on top of my pillow. A fat, black, Bible. I saw Yancy hiding, peeking. He had a smile on his face. I picked up the Bible.

When I opened that book to about the middle, and began tearing it down the spine, the grin became a look of horror. I pitched the two pieces of book on his rack and went about my business.

I am continually assaulted by slogans. “There are no atheists in foxholes.”
Theodore Roosevelt (of Thomas Paine): “That filthy little atheist.”

Wrote a letter to the paper, in defense of evolution. Went to my aunt’s house after that. She screamed at me for being an atheist, until I went away.

Worked with three different guys at three different times. All three took it on themselves to convert me. They did stupid things, like shut the door and grab a Bible to read to me. “You’ve got to get right with God,” one told me repeatedly.

At my present job, the other day, a woman came at me, hollering. “Some atheist judge in California made them leave.” I have no idea what that story was. Another guy said, when I admitted I don’t go to church, “Can I send someone to your house in the evenings? Teach you about Jesus.”

I have barely skimmed the surface of these nut jobs who can’t stand to let a person simply live. You think atheists are scary? Many of the so-called religious are monsters.

I may be a nut job but I am not a religious nut job sorry if you thought this of me.
Oh I know many of the religious are monsters, I will at a later date make an exposition of them if it helps, and I have never yet thought that atheists were monsters, only that I had an irrational fear of them I was hoping to in some small way with your help rationalise.

I thank you deeply for a beautiful heart felt and poignant post.
It really blew me away.

I hope I have never used my faith as a weapon against another especially someone who is with out it, merely as my shield against the world, others and myself.

Thank you again for a wonderful and enlightening post and contribution.

All my best to you.
sometime sun
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:58 pm
@Setanta,
I want to thank you for this post as it reads well, especially the calm and simple ending.
"I told her no, smiled, and closed the door"
I like this very much, it is almost or is a metaphor that you have closed the door and chapter on religion, no hate just peace,
you have your home and your door to close and that is all you need and are satisfied with.
nice work.

But I should also point out that the term 'bible thumpers' could be seen as a term of derision.

But again thank you for a nicely written post.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:05 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
Many of the so-called religious are monsters.

Many? I'd say most. (I've got experiences of my own which I'm keeping to myself.) Not sunshine sun, though.

I may have in my life been monstrous,
But never more,
And although I do not term myself as religious,
more faith ridden,
my personal religion is what stopped and calmed me away from my previously irrational and irresponsible ways.
My faith saved my life and gave me a soul to protect and nurture.