Why are Atheists so Scary?

failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:05 am
@dlowan,
I agree. I am not an expert at dispelling fear of the irrational. I'm usually tolerant... of the fear.

I think this would be a lot more frustrating if a poster was irrational and somehow proud of their fear or thought it to be sacred.

A
R
T
xris

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Why don't you get it through your thick abusive head, I'm not expressing anger ,Im remarking on your constant arrogant remarks, your personal abuse of characters, not the questions they posed. You cant help yourself , you never stop attacking others. You make snide personal remarks and think they have merit, be off with you...you offensive bully.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:27 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

Why don't you get it through your thick abusive head, I'm not expressing anger ,Im remarking on your constant arrogant remarks, your personal abuse of characters, not the questions they posed. You cant help yourself , you never stop attacking others. You make snide personal remarks and think they have merit, be off with you...you offensive bully.
eat **** and die chicken ******. (thanks, I am having a nice day)
salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:28 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

I might just be the third Salima. I believe it possible that evolution is creation and we cant be privy to who or what this creative ability is. Nature created life but who created natures ability?

not bad...
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:30 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

salima wrote:
i think this is a reverse generalization. we all know that atheists are not going to believe in creationism...but theists could believe in either creationism or evolution. so hence the wish to make clear that being a theist is not necessarily swallowing all the dogma connected to religion.

hmm...is there a third alternative?

I think it is possible to be a theist and not believe that a god was behind the creation of the universe. One possibility is that the god just believes that it caused it but really it is mistaken. I don't actually make up this idea, i actually got it from a Buddhist sutra. A far less known sutra the Buddha talks about how gods, wrapped up in their own ego will believe that they are behind the workings of phenomenal things because of their mentality. The reason they do it, is due to their internal conflict as a way to leverage themselves into a position of greatness undeserved. He even sites some gods that actually believe themselves to be the creators of certain humanistic qualities and because of it, they will fall back into lower realms of existence. I really don't actually believe in the sutra but im using it as an aspect to my point that a god could foolishly believe that it created something but didn't actually do it.

very good-it is possible that someone could believe there is a god but not believe that he actually created the universe...hadnt thought of that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:34 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I agree. I am not an expert at dispelling fear of the irrational. I'm usually tolerant... of the fear.

I think this would be a lot more frustrating if a poster was irrational and somehow proud of their fear or thought it to be sacred.

A
R
T

Well, I guess it seems to me the poster doesn't want to have the fear....and I think irrational and untrue beliefs about groups of people to be extremely dangerous, speaking of human civilisation generally, so I applaud his efforts to dispel it.

I was irritated by stuff like "why are atheists so scary" and "atheists don't give to charity" and atheists don't have love or joy or kindness etc. Don't you think those are scary beliefs and it is good to debunk them?

It's probably gooder to debunk them in a charming and honey-coated way (more flies with honey than vinegar and all that).

I think you are more tolerant than I anyway. Maybe too much of my tolerance gets used up at work? And a lot of my work IS about dispelling fear of, or the awful effects of, irrational beliefs. (You know, stuff like "It was my fault grandpa abused me" and "It happened because I am bad and deserved it" and "I'm a bad dirty girl/boy", all that sort of stuff.)

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:40 am
@xris,
Geeze you're full of it. As you point out, i don't know you. I don't even know if you're male or female, young or old, what country you inhabit--so i'm definitely not making personal remarks, i have no point of departure for that . . . it is not abusive to disagree with, nor point out when you're peddling bullshit, for however unpleasant it is to you to hear it.

It is not a personal remark to say that you are wrong, or that you are peddling bullshit. Grow up.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:49 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
(more flies with honey than vinegar and all that)
the most flies are gotten by a dead squirrel.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 08:50 am
@dyslexia,
Or a steaming pile of bullshit . . . by that criterion, these threads should be absolutely mobbed by flies.
0 Replies

coolie13

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 09:05 am
@Krumple,
I'm with you there, philosophy really can be anything, its universal in its avenues, you can take it any which way with just a smidget of logic. You are right, we are destroying ourselves being authoratative but then again, humans are intellectual beings and part of knowing or learning is attaining information from a source so those in a way are rules that your following. Why do we put such philosophers as socrates and kant in high regard if in reality, we really could simply dismiss all there works?
failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:08 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

failures art wrote:

A
R
T

Well, I guess it seems to me the poster doesn't want to have the fear....and I think irrational and untrue beliefs about groups of people to be extremely dangerous, speaking of human civilisation generally, so I applaud his efforts to dispel it.

I think anyone capable of identifying what they fear, has the ability to address their fear, or in this case, address why they were afraid in the first place. I think he'll be successful.

dlowan wrote:

I was irritated by stuff like "why are atheists so scary" and "atheists don't give to charity" and atheists don't have love or joy or kindness etc. Don't you think those are scary beliefs and it is good to debunk them?

I'm irritated by this kind of thing too. I try to settle myself by keeping my head rational though. There's no truth to them, so like fear, I try and not let anger be the product of irrational thoughts.

Because it should be repeated: I try.

dlowan wrote:

It's probably gooder to debunk them in a charming and honey-coated way (more flies with honey than vinegar and all that).

Yes, better with honey. Honey for people who have genuine concern. Vinegar in the eyes of piss-heads like the former A2K'er "real life," who took great pleasure in propagating these terrible ideas.

dlowan wrote:

I think you are more tolerant than I anyway. Maybe too much of my tolerance gets used up at work? And a lot of my work IS about dispelling fear of, or the awful effects of, irrational beliefs. (You know, stuff like "It was my fault grandpa abused me" and "It happened because I am bad and deserved it" and "I'm a bad dirty girl/boy", all that sort of stuff.)

Perhaps, I exhaust all my intolerance at work because I have to be so stern and directive with others! Ha.

A
R
T
JTT

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
It is not colloquial modern English to speak of "familiar spirits," nor to say to someone "be off with you." It is silly and pretentious, however.

Don't no one fret about being castigated by Setanta on language issues. He knows next to nothing about language or how it works. He embarrasses himself like this all time on language issues and he has the gall to suggest others are pretentious.

Google exact phrase search for "Be off with you"
About 729,000 results

Google exact phrase search for "Familiar spirits"
About 126,000 results (0.29 seconds)

Both are respectable numbers illustrating that they are indeed in use in modern colloquial English.

The latter even has an entry in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familiar_spirit

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:25 am
@dyslexia,
The odd time you say something that's funny, Dys. This was just stupidity, plain and simple.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:54 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Why don't you enter into the debate rather than take this silly superior attitude. No one asked us to enter into this one liner dominated forum and no one demanded you partake of this thread. We have familiar spirits here that we understand, so be off with you and leave us to our musing.

jesus murphy, aren't you the little entitled one
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:05 pm
@coolie13,
coolie13 wrote:

I'm with you there, philosophy really can be anything, its universal in its avenues, you can take it any which way with just a smidget of logic. You are right, we are destroying ourselves being authoratative but then again, humans are intellectual beings and part of knowing or learning is attaining information from a source so those in a way are rules that your following. Why do we put such philosophers as socrates and kant in high regard if in reality, we really could simply dismiss all there works?

Lord of the flies.

How are we any different? It's such a funny book if you take the concept and just place it onto society. People no matter what age they are, just simply think themselves as knowing what is right and what is wrong with the world. However if this were true, that there was some fundamental ability to know with absolute certainty what is right and what is wrong, it would be painfully obvious to set these rules into place. However; we can't because there are no fundamentally right or wrong things, they are completely subjective and even require contexts.

But we are still childish mentally. Sure we might age but our mentalities are still childish. We come up with theses compete BS statements like right and wrong are fundamentally known but they aren't. Others get carried off by these lies and society continues to be duped by simple logical fallacies.

Adults are just tall children who believe they know better. In in fact they are only guessing and assuming they are right.

The point of philosophy is to find away that we can agree on a method in which will cause the least amount of damage. Religion obviously has failed that and people are starting to realize that religion is not the answer to the humanistic problems. The sooner we all realize this, the sooner we can take steps to find a better solution. But those who want to drag their feet and muddy the water with nonsense and logical fallacies only hold back progress.

We will get there, but it requires that humanity does some growing up mentally. Shed these superstitions and make believe fantasies called religion.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:10 pm
@failures art,
Maybe you are simply a more evolved Wabbit?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 12:35 pm
This thread is beginning to remind me of back in the day in high school (the '60s) when a bunch of us would sit around while smoking pot and dropping acid. In our rap sessions, we'd be pontificating on the deep meanings of Emerson, Thoreau, Kahlil Gibran, Dick Gregory, Jefferson Airplane and the like; minutely massaging every syllable and punctuation mark in their writings from all perspectives, often not making a bit of sense to anyone but ourselves and we loved it that way.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:23 pm
@sometime sun,
(With apologies who have heard this from me before)

IMO theists find atheists scary because theists define themselves with respect to what they call "GOD"....their "self integrity" depends on it. Intellectual encounters with atheists are consequently tests of the integrity/faith of believers And note the "manifestation of Satan" escape clause, by those who can't handle atheists' arguments...and Satan is pretty scary ! Twisted Evil
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 04:59 pm
@plainoldme,
late reply to p.o.m. - I don't remember fundamentalists in the fifties being, erm, similar to today's folks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd have to look back, but I don't think I meant you are condescending, GID, but was thinking generally.
0 Replies