Why are Atheists so Scary?

sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 01:21 am
@salima,
Thank you salima for your kind words and a naughty one.

I am sure they are just testing and probing my metal mental.
I just hope I have not disappointed our new comrades before we had the chance to build our rocket ship and fly to the moon.

I have never heard you swear before,
you can swear here which is new.
Not sure I like that feature much.
Please try not to worry so,
I'll soon prove to them I am worthy of their benefit.
Or at least give it my best shot.

All my love
As long as you can see me I am tangible enough.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 02:34 am
I am going to sign off for now, sorry I did not get to everyone tonight GoshisDead is first tomorrow, I read it and it is wholesome and fresh, still got quite a ways to go. I try not to skip or ruin the ending.
Or at least catch up with myself.
Glad the unpleasantness seemed to disperse.

All my best wishes to you all,
sometime sun
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:17 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:

because they utter the words that speak to the true nature of the world . . . and it is oh so sobering at face value.

i am soooo happy to see you are here!
Below viewing threshold (view)
salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:32 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:

Thank you salima for your kind words and a naughty one.

I am sure they are just testing and probing my metal mental.
I just hope I have not disappointed our new comrades before we had the chance to build our rocket ship and fly to the moon.

I have never heard you swear before,
you can swear here which is new.
Not sure I like that feature much.
Please try not to worry so,
I'll soon prove to them I am worthy of their benefit.
Or at least give it my best shot.

All my love
As long as you can see me I am tangible enough.

sometime, you are the best at being your own real true self than anyone i ever knew-and that is the very best anyone can do or be.

0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:33 am
@westwind,
westwind wrote:

i will kill you if i meet you

over my dead body
salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:36 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

sometime sun wrote:

I am not an atheist and I believe in evolution.

See these kinds of statements are what annoy me.

Atheism does not mean you believe or don't believe in evolution. Evolution and atheism are not tied together in any way, what so ever. Sure some atheists follow evolution however not all of them do. If you believe in evolution it doesn't make you an atheist.

I know you didn't intend for it to come out like that, but it bugs me that theists try to use it in this way. It is a fallacy of ignorance where they try to imply that a proponent of atheism is a belief in evolution. It is absolutely stupid.

There is only ONE thing that you can determine about a person who calls them self atheist. That is that they don't believe in the existence of a god or gods. You can not determine anything else about them. You can't determine their morality or ethical position what so ever. If you do, then you are making another fallacy.

i think this is a reverse generalization. we all know that atheists are not going to believe in creationism...but theists could believe in either creationism or evolution. so hence the wish to make clear that being a theist is not necessarily swallowing all the dogma connected to religion.

hmm...is there a third alternative?
msolga

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:36 am
@westwind,
Oh for heavens sake!
Get a grip!
What a horrible thing to say. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:49 am
@salima,
I might just be the third Salima. I believe it possible that evolution is creation and we cant be privy to who or what this creative ability is. Nature created life but who created natures ability?
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 03:56 am
@salima,
salima wrote:
i think this is a reverse generalization. we all know that atheists are not going to believe in creationism...but theists could believe in either creationism or evolution. so hence the wish to make clear that being a theist is not necessarily swallowing all the dogma connected to religion.

hmm...is there a third alternative?

I think it is possible to be a theist and not believe that a god was behind the creation of the universe. One possibility is that the god just believes that it caused it but really it is mistaken. I don't actually make up this idea, i actually got it from a Buddhist sutra. A far less known sutra the Buddha talks about how gods, wrapped up in their own ego will believe that they are behind the workings of phenomenal things because of their mentality. The reason they do it, is due to their internal conflict as a way to leverage themselves into a position of greatness undeserved. He even sites some gods that actually believe themselves to be the creators of certain humanistic qualities and because of it, they will fall back into lower realms of existence. I really don't actually believe in the sutra but im using it as an aspect to my point that a god could foolishly believe that it created something but didn't actually do it.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 05:07 am
This thread suggests several things to me. One is that Sometime Sun is seriously delusional. Another is that the people who have come here from the philosophy forum don't place a high value on coherence. It seems they are more interested in the "sound" of the words than in the meanings, explicit or implicit. There is so much twaddle and incoherence in what people have posted here that it is hard to know where to start.

The author has posited that atheists are angry and scary, and then gotten offended that people have taken offense to that invidious generalization. I suggest that the author is rather young, and really hasn't met very many atheists. It is highly probable, in fact, that the author of this thread knows scores of atheists, and scores more agnostics, and is completely unaware of the fact, because even with the religionists, most people don't go around trumpeting such things. In my experience, it's only the pushing religionists suffering from severe doctrinal delusions and a will to dominate others who bring these things up in day to day life (away from the internet)--so in my experience it is unlikely that you will know what anyone's religious confession is, or even if they entertain one.

This thread is one of the more bizarre excursions at this site in some time.
xris

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:17 am
@Setanta,
Why don't you enter into the debate rather than take this silly superior attitude. No one asked us to enter into this one liner dominated forum and no one demanded you partake of this thread. We have familiar spirits here that we understand, so be off with you and leave us to our musing.
JTT

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The author has posited that atheists are angry and scary, and then gotten offended that people have taken offense to that invidious generalization.

I suggest that you are much too full of yourself. Sometime Sun has gone to great lengths to explain his/her position. Some things are simply beyond you, Set. Stick to weaving your historical tales.

I suggest you are trying to make trouble for Robert because he has, on numerous occasions, shown you to be little more than a big windbag. I suggest further, that you are doing this because you are little more than a petulant child.

Quote:
There is so much twaddle and incoherence in what people have posted here that it is hard to know where to start.

That's precisely what I find in all too many of your posts on English/grammar/language. And yet, there's been no suggestion from anyone that you should limit your ample supply of nonsense in those areas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:40 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Why don't you enter into the debate rather than take this silly superior attitude. No one asked us to enter into this one liner dominated forum and no one demanded you partake of this thread. We have familiar spirits here that we understand, so be off with you and leave us to our musing.

I don't see that there is any debate here. Atheists are not scary. That the author is frightened by atheists is not fault of atheists, it's just an expression of the author's unfounded trepidation.

Your response is very revealing. You talk about my "superior" attitude, and that is a personal reflection, which is hilarious coming from someone who went ballistic over having his/her own opinions questioned, and complained about personal attacks. You seem unable to distinguish disparagement of ideas form personal attacks. Then you make that snide remark about a "one-liner dominated forum." You really know nothing about this place if that is your impression. The most consistent complaint anyone would make about my posting is that i'm too prolix.

Then you come out with that phony attempt at 16th or 17th century English. I don't need an invitation to come to a thread and comment, and you have no power to prohibit me from reading a thread, and commenting upon it.

Grow up, will ya?
xris

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:30 am
@Setanta,
If he feels that they are scary they are scary . Should he take your view as read? I don't think so. I don't go ballistic, as you put , over my opinions being questioned, it was your abusive and arrogant attitude that I opposed. I said one liner infected forum,that's not you, is it?

Its not 16century English, its colloquial modern English. Once again your abusive characteristics shineth through.
jcboy

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:37 am
@sometime sun,
Religious nutcrackers scare the hell out of me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:39 am
@xris,
xris wrote:

If he feels that they are scary they are scary .

Is it your position that irrational feelings ought never to be debated and debunked?

What do you think feelings arise from? Could it be that they sometimes arise from beliefs, and that beliefs can and ought to be challenged...especially on a ....what was it again...PHILOSOPHY forum?

If SS puts his feelings out in public on a board full of debating and clash of ideas he had better expect that they will be challenged.

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:44 am
@xris,
You see, this is a perfect example of your anger issues. There is no debate, either one states that atheists are not scary, or one comes up with an explanation for why the author might be frightened--but ultimately, only the author can determine why he or she is frightened of atheists. There's no debate going on here at all.

You certainly did get hysterical in the UFO thread when you failed to distinguish between speculation and what you were pleased to state was a case of "science seriously considering" the idea of "parallel universes." When you were challenged on that, you began ranting that you were being attacked and abused.

You're doing it again. To arrogate is to take on a privilege to which one is not entitled. It is not arrogant to dispute what someone else writes here--everyone has the right to dispute what you write. It is also not abusive--no one comes here with a free pass, no one here is entitled to make statements which cannot be challenged.

It is not colloquial modern English to speak of "familiar spirits," nor to say to someone "be off with you." It is silly and pretentious, however.
failures art

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:47 am
SS is being sincere that he is afraid. Fear can drive perceptions and actions. Fear can originate from irrational conclusions, however the fear itself is real and present (even if the threat is not).

Some people are *afraid* of losing their independence when they enter into new romantic relationships. This is not necessarily a real threat, and certainly could be founded on irrational thinking. It does not mean we cannot or should not discuss the topic. Part of helping people process through irrational conclusions is offering additional rational input, not scolding someone for a perceived mental weakness.

A
R
T
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 07:55 am
@failures art,
I have no doubt the fear is real.

I am simply saying it is irrational, and SS seems to be asking for help with his irrational fear.