Did I burn any bridges in quitting my job?

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
Ok so like the morning of my quit day, I told my boss to "like me just like she used to." She obviously didn't like hearing me allege that she doesn't like me. She was like, "I do like you personally. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't have called you in." She mentioned she called me in just to give me hours, not necessarily that they got their asses kicked. Then she added that if I'm gonna be paranoid she won't call me in no more. I didn't buy it bc it wasn't about the hours. It was about she kept more distance from me than she used to before I embarrassed her.

Less than 2 hours later, I called in "for my resignation." I said I won't be giving my 2 weeks. Well, before I quit, she didn't ignore me completely. After I quit, she did. I'm 99.9% sure it was bc I failed to appreciate the 2nd chance she gave me and came across as spoiled and ungrateful. People at Wal-Mart had been fired for less than what I did. I just wanna know if I burned any bridge bc if I applied everywhere in town and they all turn me down, would I be able to return to my former employer?

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:05 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Read the last response I gave you in your other thread about the same subject. It still applies.
0 Replies

DrDick

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:06 pm
Uh yes you burned bridges and no I think you would not be able to return to your former employer.

(1) You accused your boss of not liking you.
(2) Your boss already told you she would not be assigning you any more hours if you remained "paranoid".
(3) Apparently you embarassed your boss at some point.

and for the big one

(4) You quit without giving 2 weeks notice which typically is a death nail to returning to any former employer.

And what I find most intriguing is you are confused as to whether or not you burned bridges. Can you explain your perspective to me on how you didn't burn bridges and should be rehired given the opportunity? I am seriously interested.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:08 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
I hate to tell you this, you've made a premature decisions here and given
your work ethics in the past, you probably won't find work in the fast food industry again, especially when you live in a small town.
You have had uncontrolled anger issues, disrespect for supervisors and customer complaints and you have never bothered to find out why it is you
who has all these issues coming your way - on the contrary, you've always
looked for others to take blame.

All I can tell you is: grow up, show some responsibility, be diligent and ethical in your work and you shall find work. Until then, I don't think you'll stay at any
job very long.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:10 pm
@DrDick,
oh i'm just frustrated I turned in 17 applications and didn't get any offers. *sighs* 200 to go. As for not burning any bridges, well, she also used to be my friend in addition to being my boss. So I'm just curious.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
@CalamityJane,
My anger issues are long gone. And between the summer of last year and April of this year, my supervisor had said I did a good job. It's just unfortunate that I accidentally embarrassed her and am sorry for doing so. I only wanted to know if the way I quit burned that bridge.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:23 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Yes, it burned that bridge!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:48 pm
Let's look at the history of job-related topics you have initiated here on A2K starting in January of 2009 when you first joined us.

Thread subject lines as written by you:

Quote:
the stigma of having an anger problem

Is it fair of them to fire me?

Does ADA require employers to accomodate employees who has anger issues?

If I reapply at the same store that canned me, what are my chances?

any ideas for work from home jobs?

Why hasn't God answered my prayers?

so screwed...like a total loser

What retailer would hire me?

Damnit! I can't find another job!

hiting manger rescheduled the interview. What does that mean?

should screaming at work get me fired?

omfg, major screw up! help!

Do employers do employment verification before or after they interview you?

My boss said I embarrassed her in front of customers (and is pissed as hell)...wtf!

Should I quit my job?

Did I burn any bridges in quitting my job?

DDD, please take a close look at them and think about what they can tell you about yourself and the behavioral patterns they demonstrate. In many of these topics, you've asked and we've suggested what you can do to improve your chances at retaining future employment. Until you are willing to do the self-improvement work on your behavior as well as your job skills, these patterns are going to continue in your life. No one else is to blame and no one else can help you. You have to help yourself, we can't do it for you. All we can do is give you the benefit of our own experiences.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:52 pm
In your other thread on the subject, I wrote:

Quote:
Now that you have some free time, have you given any thought to taking some courses so you can expand your skills and widen your search prospects for a job? Take a look at your local city and county educational websites. Many of them offer very low cost summer courses.

What, if anything, have you done to look for some free or inexpensive employment skills courses?
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
seeking help from VR. I secured an appointment w/ them for the end of this month and they could help me find another job.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
between "omfg, major screw up! help!" and "My boss said I embarrassed her in front of customers (and is pissed as hell)...wtf!" there was 7-8 months that I haven't posted anything. Those were the months that I was doing good, as my boss had said. I hope that counts.
DrDick

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:29 pm
@dirtydozen

What is your ideal work environment? I'm not talking about retail or fast food, I'm talking about what work environment can you realistically envision where you would be a success? Maybe you would be happy isolated with minimal contact with authority. Based on butterfly's post of the long list of threads you started regarding this same topic, what field you currently are working is isn't working very well for you. If you just keep putting yourself in the same situation I doubt VR will do anything, but give you a short term solution to another job where you burn bridges.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:32 pm
@DrDick,
I too long ago suggested DD take some classes and she tossed off the idea. I am supposing classwork may not have been her forte in the past. But, as with many people, it might be that some specifically useful class would engage you, DD.

I don't happen to know what VR stands for.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
@dirrtydozen22,
Most certainly you will not be getting any help from your past employer and manager regarding any potential new employer calling them for references and such. You most likely will have a difficult time getting a new job.

Let me suggest you try an employment intermediary like the nonprofit Goodwill Industries http://www.goodwill.org/goodwill-for-you/jobs-and-careers/find-a-job/ so they can help you search for a job as well as give you a well round set of career counseling.

When you go to an arranged interview the respective employer might be satisfied with you and your resume and work history as Goodwill or other intermediary might act like a kind of an occupational~rehabilitative firewall between your prior work history and potential new job.

I had a conflict between my last manager that became an obstacle for gaining employment when I lost my job of 7+ years. Only after about 6 months of unemployment when I was sent to Goodwill did I get my present job.

Good luck and keep us updated on both the drek and the potential good news.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm taking a stab that VR is Vocational Rehabilitation. Am I correct that this is a nonprofit or governmental level agency?

It sounds like a good start.
oolongteasup

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 06:08 am
@DrDick,
Quote:
a death nail

is that like a death knell only quieter

but more campanologically challenged

or were vampires involved
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:12 am
@dirrtydozen22,
You still want to make this issue about your former boss not liking you. This demonstrates that you're in total denial. You don't seem to read and comprehend much of the caring advice others have given you.

You haven't lost your anger issues, because you don't seem to understand the scope and depth of the problem. I'm sure, like myself, others are perplexed that you think you have lost your anger issues.

You look to A2K for validation and comfort but you seem unable or unwilling to do your mental health homework.

Get some real professional help.
Keep the appointments.
Take any med you're prescribed
Try applying for jobs that aren't in front desk or retail areas,.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:23 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I wonder what the purpose is of creating a new thread to discuss the same subject. In your previous thread http://able2know.org/reply/post-3990648, you discuss the same exact info. You have done this same thing before. It's a curious behavior.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:17 am
@DrDick,
My ideal work environment is working with people. Hospitality and retail deals alot with them. Fast food? Prolly not a good idea. Too much going on.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 10:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Voc Rehab is state funded and they actually hire other employment agencies to help people w/ job search. And thx.
0 Replies