Introductions about someone else for the new folk

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:04 am
Thanks, shewolf!

I'd like to introduce some of the departed souls.

Perhaps that's a tad creepy but you should know who they were.

It's a very odd thing to say, but I've written at least a half dozen obituaries. Yes, we've known each other that long.

The first was Mary Pope, who was on Abuzz.com, which is where many of us met. She was a Moderator there and a fiesty gal indeed. I recall calling up her daughter to get the skinny on her.

himself also didn't make it to the jump to A2K (I didn't write his obit). He used to write like Robert Burns. I wish we had some of his writings here.

I didn't know Olen well -- I believe he was a WWII veteran. Miller would know.

Joan Lee was another one who came over from Abuzz.

Joanne Dorel took her own life a few years ago. Last year, a few of us ran a 5K for the benefit of the Good Samaritans. I think this year we'll specifically run in her memory. Anyone in the Boston area is more than welcome to join us, for that or any other running (there's also Joe Nation and Thomas; they run farther South, in NY/NJ).

Kevin (timberlandko) was a Moderator here and helped people (including me, twice!) with spyware removal. Every now and then, one of his old topics is revived and my heart does that funny little leap and then I remember Kevin's not the one who bumped it up. A picture of him and his big old dog, Big Sam, sits on my desk. So he's kind of a shaman now, watching over the posts. He could discuss spyware removal, hunting and the Abrahamic mythopaedia well -- and often in the same paragraph. He would have loved this new crop of folk. His widow and I still exchange holiday cards; she's in the wilds of Wisconsin.

Jill (Noddy24) was another Moderator here. Before we had the tagging/thumbs up system, we Mods were able to feature/defeature topics which is just another way of saying making them sticky or not sticky. The decision of what was to be sticky almost always fell to her, so the forum reflected her taste. She was extremely well-read and wickedly funny. Her favorite phrase was, "Hold your dominion", which essentially meant to stand your ground and keep what you uniquely are. At least that is how I see it now. Her son lives not too far from me, and he and I ran into each other at a networking event a few months ago. She was a practicing Wiccan and loved the moon. If you see the women of this forum talking about howling at the moon, Noddy is the one who started that, and we still howl, when things are frustrating or triumphant or fun or really for no reason at all sometimes. A howl will do ya good. She gave me a sci-fi paperback when I met her; it's kept nearby. I haven't the heart to read it yet and she's been gone a few years now. Don't know if I'll ever really crack it. I bet she'd find all of you a fine addition as well.

Anyway, those are our ghosts. They are friendly, I assure you.
djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:08 am
@jespah,
nice one jes

let's not forget cavfancier, i think he would have loved the new philosophy folks, cav was a poet, a cook, a music aficionado and friend to many, who knows maybe a post or two will pop up as they explore

cav was part of the first group of folks to really make me feel welcome here, it's weird, i still have his obituary with some papers in a box, and i never even met him
jespah

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:14 am
@djjd62,
Oh my gosh how could I've dropped cav????

He was a professional chef in Toronto and a big time music lover. He also wrote beautifully -- poetry and prose. Very much missed, another one where, if you see an update on his topics, your heart skips a beat.

The name cavfancier referred to him loving both caviar and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:07 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Roberta, Boida, Boita is a sort of A2k tutelary deity.

She was recently awarded the Nobel Prize for persistent, consistent, world-class and delightfully entertaining Kvetching, the first ever to be given this award. (Since nobody else ever reached the standard required, most Nobel Prize aficionados had forgotten the category existed.)

Do I have to schlep all the way to Sweden to get this thing? I know I win some money. Can I get an advance? I'm gonna have to get some formal attire. A long dress. Fancy shmancy. And heels. Uh oh. Heels. I haven't worn heels in decades. I'm gonna break my neck.

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:48 am
@Roberta,
AND you have to learn to walk backwards in full evening clobber and high heels!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:49 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

Introducing Boomerang.
Full time mother of Mo, which in my opinion makes her all the more sexy. I find her to be a really really interesting person. Shes tenacious in her support for her family and has a keen eye for riddles.
http://able2know.org/user/boomerang/

And great photographer.
Roberta

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:39 pm
@dlowan,
Speaking of great photographers, where's Izzie? Izzie is a Brit, with lots of energy. A caring person who always has an opinion. Very thoughtful and just a tad on the ditsy side. I mean that in a good way. She takes wonderful nature photos.
JPB

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
Let me introduce the Chicagolanders.

joefromchicago is, well... from Chicago. He's witty -- sometimes abrasively so, intelligent, an attorney, opera lover, classical music and film buff, and avid (I almost said rabid) Cubs fan.

wandeljw enjoys philosophy and tries to moderate an intelligent design thread that has it's moments of fun and folly along with some serious discussion

gargamel is young, literary, bright, and funny. He seldom shows his serious side but it's there all the time, hiding just underneath the surface.

maporsche has recently moved to the city from the suburbs. map is also young, participates in many of the political discussions and takes a more conservative (I think of him as a centrist, rather than a conservative) view than most of the rest of the local gang.

sublime1 has found love and seldom visits A2K any more. We miss him and occasionally get to catch up with him and his doings at our local gatherings.

I've been designated the local social director by wandeljw. That's probably because I'm the only chick in the group, but I like all of the guys and I enjoy our gatherings. Which reminds me... map wanted to try to get together soon. I should work on that.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:43 pm
@Roberta,
she's very blond Wink

and highly lovable.
djjd62

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 02:30 pm
@JPB,
oh yeah
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:51 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Jeepers creepers...who you gonna introduce, eh?

Actually Salima, who was one of my friends on the earlier forum, introduced most of the people who I knew there. Prothero, student of process philosophy and one of the truly philosophical people; Qualia, lives in Spain, very well educated, very good writer and extremely courteous; haven't seen him here yet. The guy that I debated most was Kennethamy who was probably one of the best 'technical' philosphers on the forum in terms of knowing how to frame an argument and knowing the subject; Longknowledge, exponent of the great Ortega y Gassett and environmentalist - haven't seen him here yet either....they're all that come to mind at the moment, I am sure there are many more...
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:02 pm
@jespah,
We have one example of himself's writing on my Some Unforgettable People thread, as well as a photo.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:27 pm
@jeeprs,
kenneth is definitely here-he didnt waste any time just jumped right into threads, take a look around new posts...you could go to my page and click on the names of people i am following to see their profiles. i dont see how else you can find someone if you dont see them posting. this is a big place-it could take months for us to bump into each other by accident! it is the things we are sharing a common interest in that will bring us together, like before. i agree about kennethamy, and i agree that there are so many wonderful people how can we name them all?

remember bones-o? he was so funny sometimes, and so smart...

who else had a user name that started with a 'v'? vajrasattva was the only one i could remember, he was into the buddhist thing, but there was another 'v' (besides videcorspoon i mean)

pagan was great, he was leaving before everything blew up for real life adventures. remember bonaventurian? brightnoon was my favorite in politics, he is here and posting. deepthot on the subject of ethics, i dont think he has posted yet. kj is here, the neurology mind/brain enthusiast...and paulhanke his capable adversary...

i couldnt find quinn...one of the youngest. i think i even tried to use the name quinn phil too. mister kitten is here-unbelievable fellow, incredibly smart and mature, wise beyond his years.

i wasnt kidding when i said there is something special about all the people i had listed as friends on the old group-it is amazing to me to think there are so many great people around-where are they in the real world? and from the introductions here apparently the members of this group feel the same way about their fellow members.

so maybe it is just a bigger group of good people, some with like interests and some not, and a barebones software system. i havent spent any time reading any posts yet, still trying to get oriented.

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 07:09 pm
@salima,
Thanks again Salima.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:49 pm
I would like to introduce another of my fav phil forum transfers Khethil. Almost reclusive only posting when there is something worth saying. Never posts just to argue or be defensive. Posts like tight essays leaving no room for argument. Every one of them worthwhile. Every one adding something unique to a thread.
Khethil

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 08:57 pm
@GoshisDead,
Aww, thankee Gosh; Very nice of you to say so
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:14 pm
Region and Jespah are both irreplaceable to this site. Jes has been the task master for years and years and region scoops up loose ends especially in the basketball and computer fora. They are also a couple who I have had the pleasure of hanging out with in real life.

George I have also met in person. He is the father of three and married to the ominous sounding (but sweet in disposition, I'm sure) dragonlady. He is big on soccer and latin translations.

Enough can't possibly be said for MsOlga. She is not only a patron saint on these boards, but she is also one of my person heroes (she teaches too).

Thomas is a german living abroad in america. Thomas is a physicist and kickass scrabble player.

Calamity is another transplant from germany. She is a left-coaster who is very witty and sharp-tongued. And she is beautiful to boot.

Farmerman was mentioned before, but I'll add that he is a master geologist. When he speaks of plate tectonics, evolution, carbon-dating, schist and shale I am in awe.

As for the rest of those I cherish, most have already been mentioned here.

As for those who have passed on.... Has anyone heard from Mapleleaf? Quin1 said his wife was on FB and listed herself as single. Very worried for him) . He is a gifted writer and would have enjoyed this mash up with you philosophers.
Reyn

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:28 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
... she's a Canuckian but we shant hold that agianst her. ...

I'm relieved to read that, as there are a few of us around here! Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:37 pm
setanta must have a photographic memory. He can write a whole textbook in a thread if he takes a notion to - generally he is a historian, but not limited to just that. He is an all right guy, but if he believes you are attempting to bullshit somebody he can write a strongly worded post about that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 09:39 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Has anyone heard from Mapleleaf? Quin1 said his wife was on FB and listed herself as single

Oh no!!! Maple is a special part of the net world for many of us.

Quote:
Enough can't possibly be said for MsOlga. She is not only a patron saint on these boards, but she is also one of my person heroes (she teaches too).

Amen!
0 Replies