Introductions about someone else for the new folk

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

this thread is a great idea-thanks, and dont stop now!!

Hey!!! Could you start a trend for the PF folk by introducing one of your forum folk?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze!
djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:27 pm
@dlowan,
well i'd include you in my Antipodean Triumvirate, the bunny and two cats, dlowan, Margo and Msolga, they might be upside down, and they have the seasons totally screwed up (it's summer, hello), but they do live in the future and that is totally cool

a brief aside, oddsocks would probably like the new folks, i hope she's well where ever she is
dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:47 pm
@djjd62,
I don't know djjd as well as I'd like to.

I keep thinking he is an Ozzian, too, because I pronounce his name didge, and that's short for didgeridoo.

The bits I know:

A kind of good Loki or Shakespearean Fool...always about poking fun at sacred cows, teasing and generally being witty and funny, but with matter in his madness.

I always look at a didge post, because I know I will enjoy it and very likely learn something interesting.

I am a didge fan.

I think I am secretly a little bit in lerve with him.
dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:48 pm
@dlowan,
Not so secretly now, I guess.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:18 pm
dlowan, deb, the bunny, the wabbit is very, very smart, witty, occasionally acerbic, kind, articulate, and not someone to mess with.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:18 pm
farmerman can hold his own on most any thread. He won't bullshit you, but he will call bullshit when he sees it. I especially enjoy his posts on evolution threads, but his art and boating posts are great also.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:22 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta, Boida, Boita is a sort of A2k tutelary deity.

She is as smart as the whippiest whip that ever beat all the other whips at the smartest of all the really smart whips Whip Olympics.

She was recently awarded the Nobel Prize for persistent, consistent, world-class and delightfully entertaining Kvetching, the first ever to be given this award. (Since nobody else ever reached the standard required, most Nobel Prize aficionados had forgotten the category existed.)

Her sense of humour, combined with a bracing pessimism, has contributed greatly to the tone of this place.

She has had some damnably hard times lately, which she has dealt with with grace, humour and constant kvetching.

Frankly, I adore her.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:25 pm
@dlowan,
You and many of us....
dlowan

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 11:35 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You and many of us....

yes...I've kind of misunderesteemedated her, haven't i?
Theaetetus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:18 am
I am my favorite poster, of course, from the Philforum. Otherwise, the cake goes to VideCorSpoon. He is trained in philosophy, and he often interjects much needed humor into the threads he comes in contact with.

Another favorite that did not seem to make the change, yet, was Reconstructo. He had trolls, refused to ignore them, and in that process became a much better writer and thinker by remaining civil at all costs with them. He never cared if others ragged on him for whatever non-content reasons they may have had.

I also am quite fond of Victor and his love for Kierkegaard. It takes such strength to keep plugging about a thinker that not enough people seem to care about. He posts endlessly about Kierkegaard, even though few seem to notice. I notice, but in order to respond I would have to expose my lack of Kierkegaardian wisdom.

Other than them, most of my favorite posters have disappeared over the couple years I was a member and then staff member of the Philforum.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:22 am
@dlowan,
I thought you did a great job, I was just boosting your comment..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:24 am
@Theaetetus,
Reconstructo sounds cool.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:27 am
I enjoy the posts and blogs of philosophyforum's favorite Librarian, Catchabula. Dense and verbose using English as his second language sounding board I sing in my head "I never understood a single word he said but we always had a mighty fine time"
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:28 am
@ossobuco,
I am sad he hasn't transfered over here. Reconstructo is a whirlwind of thought.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:34 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

I am sad he hasn't transfered over here. Reconstructo is a whirlwind of thought.

Oh...can we build a honey trap?
Theaetetus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:41 am
@dlowan,
Hopefully! He was the best person on the board to debate, because to him, it was only about the debate, not some side issue, and he was never afraid to post his thoughts--even if they caught against the grain. I am sure he will surface at some point in time. He tried to write of the Philforum, but always ended up coming back for more.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:42 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

Maybe if we click our heels and say "the world is a conflagration of metaphorical language" fast three time, he will appear.
Theaetetus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:44 am
@GoshisDead,
I can't stop laughing about this. It doesn't seem as funny as it should to an outsider, but if you were there in the last six months of the Philforum in its old form, you would be laughing too!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:01 am
@dlowan,
Ok...with trepidation, I'll attempt a Robert Gentel, because the PF folk may be very curious.

Of course, all this stuff is highly subjective. Also, I seem to be the only one getting all soppy, which is kind of embarrassing...I suppose I am just soppy.

Some of us have cyber-"known" RG for a decade or more.

I am trepidatious because he can cut your head off with a smile, he can take a happy day and suddenly make it seem all vile (I gather I am good at this, too.)

You'll see all kinds of reactions to RG as you explore the site. Thing is, he has the steel guts to raise his head above the parapet constantly, and DO things. As we all know, as soon as you raise your head above the parapet a bunch of people will hate you and shoot at you just because you are there.

Rob is a mercurial oxymoron wrapped in a pratfall.

I have met many folk on the net over the years whom I treasure, and he is amongst the treasures.

He is frighteningly intelligent and omni-curious and omni-informed; a kind of Renaissance Elf.

He has a passionate commitment to spreading knowledge, macro social justice, using the net as an instrument of enlightenment and being a witty galoot.

He has a glorious sense of humour, utter integrity about what he does, utter commitment to what he does and utterly ridiculous and unrealistically high standards, which can lead him to being a wee tad difficult at times.

He's a relentless debater...which means some of us want to throttle him while enjoying what we learn at the same time, while others just enjoy. (I am a throttler.)

I think he is one of the unusual humans who is genuinely more wedded to compassion and social action at the macro rather than at the micro level.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 01:05 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

dlowan wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

Maybe if we click our heels and say "the world is a conflagration of metaphorical language" fast three time, he will appear.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WLS24Hj3L.jpg

the world is a conflagration of metaphorical language