The new amalgamated philosophy forum.

Irishk

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 02:59 pm
@roger,
That's a famous Irish quilt square that I made meself!

(I just erased your sig line...permanently)
0 Replies

salima

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:15 pm
@mark noble,
what?! by giving a thumbs up? i guess i wont be doing that any more...

at least on the old board when someone thanked you they had to leave their name-and we didnt have a nothankyou button-if we wanted to do that we had to post and explain ourselves...
salima

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:19 pm
hey you guys are pretty funny!
philosophy folk arent techies exactly...we will catch on eventually.
is there a linux department here?
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:25 pm
@salima,
Hi Salima - I actually agree that the format of the earlier forum was better than this one. I am guessing the issue was the revenue model, or lack thereof. It takes a lot of technology and skills to make this stuff happen. If you were to provide this service on a commercial basis, it would cost big $. Now I'm sure a lot of the folks who put this together weren't in it for financial gain, but nevertheless it becomes a consideration. But a lot of online communities have had to fold. At least this one has kept going, and it might turn out even better. Hang in there, you will be missed if you don't.
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:26 pm
@salima,
I think PF did try experimenting with a No Thanks button, but it quickly deteriorated or something.
Yup, there's a Linux forum; as well as a UNIX forum, if anyone cares
electronicmail

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
........on Tuesday found out that Philforum was completely hacked again, with malicious code on the server calling out to a Russian server for instructions. That is a situation we have a responsibility to fix as soon as humanly possible and due to the resources and knowledge we had we chose a rushed termination of the hacked software rather than another attempt to patch it (remember, we'd been hacked through Philforum earlier in the year already, you guys might remember when I had to move servers, which was a partial response to it).

How often does that happen in US-centric sites? I think you're doing a grand job but I wonder how many posters new or old know enough to appreciate it, our science / math knowledge is so bad.

When I first read this I thought it was a joke but no it's true:
Quote:
... the problem (intended
for fourteen-year-old American school
children) of whether 120% of the number 80 is
a number greater than, smaller than, or equal to
80 was correctly solved (in a nationwide test) by
30% of the students. People making the test
thought that 30% of the school children understood
percentages. ..... the number of those who really understood
was negligible with respect to the whole
sample. Since there were three possible answers,
the statistical prediction for a correct random
choice was 33%, with a 5% uncertainty.

Now there are so many philosophers on your site maybe someone can quote to you the inscription over Plato's Academy. Plato's students had NO federal department of education dumbing them down with such tests.

Abolishing that union-backed monstrosity may be the first step to getting our students to think for themselves, and it's a top priority of the Tea Party, but I don't want to change the topic to politics. Thank you for your work.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:23 am
@Butrflynet,
i need serious help on the tags...i dont know where they are getting on whatever it is they are on that i can somehow change in order to organize what i see on the page. if i understand what robert was saying, or something someone else had said also, that how i tag a thing will make it show up in a category on the side of ...duh, what page? the my post page? well i think that would help me. trying to match up the email notification (which i really hate having to go through, because it is not necessary for me to open my email every day either)
even my brains are getting scrambled, my entire mental and physical organization is falling apart...

is there something in your tutorial about tags that i missed? for instance, is there some place on this screen i am now looking at that says i can add a tag? or that tells me there is already some tags? i am really not brainless, but maybe a little vision impaired...and in shellshock...(I would say PTSD but not wanting to appear to be belittling anyone's certifiable disorders...)
salima

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 03:26 am
@Victor Eremita,
well that's cool...the only thing philosophyforum didnt have. i think i even made a thread 'anybody here on linux?' but no replies. i thought surely all thinking people in the world are on linux...apparently not so.
cant wait to check it out, but the lights have been cut again-oh well, later!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:06 am
@msolga,
It is so white in here it reminds me of when I was born...
Barry The Mod

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 04:53 am
Welcome all you philof (i can't spell it) folks.Change takes time.Take time to play with A2K.Find your own corner of this great playground and have fun (if that's what you do!)....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerK0yrRt-s
Welcome Home Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:08 am
@salima,
You tag at the top:

The new amalgamated philosophy forum.
dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:46 am
@mark noble,
You didn't erase anything.

If you go back to the thread, where Krumple's posts were, you will see this:

"Post voted down (view)"

Click on view...and there Krumple's posts will be!

Click on thumbs up, and the post will appear for you on the thread whenever you go there.

It never disappeared for anyone else. Krumple just thought someone didn't like his post.

One purpose of the thumbs down is to help you to ignore posts that you find are intrusive, off-topic, personally vilifying, objectionable etc. Great for trolls, or just to help you focus on the debate you are interested in.

0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:05 am
@dlowan,
cool! i accidentally found out i could delete tags on old threads too, they must have been brought over from the old board where the tags were generic or how they got there i have no idea, i never put any tags anywhere, but i think i will start.

why is nothing in alphabetical order on this software? is it because no one knows the alphabet any more? having to read down a list of 20-30 items and find what i am looking for is ... happening again and again.

since there are at least 445 posts of mine brought over, (dont know what happened to the other thousand or so) i dont think i will spend the time tracking them down and removing the tags...or maybe i will, i cant stand things disorganized. everything is in the wrong box and i cant get my concentration going in a mess. wish i was one of those people who can work in clutter...
Theaetetus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:19 am
@salima,
salima wrote:

cool! i accidentally found out i could delete tags on old threads too, they must have been brought over from the old board where the tags were generic or how they got there i have no idea, i never put any tags anywhere, but i think i will start.

The tags that came over so far from the old place are the forums that threads were in. So if you started or participated in threads in the ethics forum on the old place, you have essentially added the tags "philosophy," "ethics," and the like here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:47 am
@salima,
Erm...what did you expect to be in alphabetical order exactly?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 11:36 am
@dlowan,
I think he means his tags to the right of the page (not to speak for him). I am guessing the order is in the highest number of a particular tag to the lowest number of tags. For example, back during the a2k change a couple of years ago, I tagged a lot of threads so old ones could be findable by the tag system - and a lot of those tags are still at top of my list now.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 06:50 pm
@dlowan,
i thought...ergo i think...Everything should be in alphabetical order! i am a librarian/accountant kind of personality with metaphysical psychic/psychotic interludes.

if things are sorted newest to latest that is nice if it is stated as such-but why is there not an option to sort things? if i had a thousand tags i would need them alphabetized. but fortunately i figured out how to erase them and now it is manageable.

email subscriptions could be arranged from a time line, but are they? who knows...they arent alphabetized.

the most frustrating thing that is not alphabetized is the home page and forums and areas etc...i get to page two and forgot what was on page one and dont know how many more pages there might be and whether i am going backwards or forwards...i must be spatially handicapped. need signposts...
margo

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:02 pm
I'm impressed that almost all the early welcomers of philo people to this site were Australians (except Robert and he's long been an honorary Australian!)

Jeez - we're such a friendly lot.

I see that butflynet (who is not an Australian ...yet) is doing a lot of work to make you feel at home.

Roger, also - not yet Australian.,but well thought of, Oz-wise!

You can have fun here - although I'm not at all sure what fun is in philo..... Cool
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:18 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:
i thought...ergo i think...Everything should be in alphabetical order! i am a librarian/accountant kind of personality with metaphysical psychic/psychotic interludes.

Well the problem with that is that this is a huge place and there are too many to fit. By ordering by most use we centralize activity around the most relevant forums instead of the most aardvarky.

So we can do alphabetized, but only if we first limit by popularity and then alphabetize. For example, take the ones currently there and alphabetize them.

But the problem I have with this is that it's less clear that that is just a selection of the most used forums and that there are more, as there would be two separate sortings happening with only one of which clear to the end user.

Do you get the usability conundrum for me here? My thoughts have been to have that quick tag search there so that finding tags is faster that way than alphabetized but at it's core there is a bit of a conflict between their alphabetical order and relevance to the user (e.g. on the philforum the forums weren't alphabetized either, but had order based on priority).

Quote:
if things are sorted newest to latest that is nice if it is stated as such-but why is there not an option to sort things? if i had a thousand tags i would need them alphabetized. but fortunately i figured out how to erase them and now it is manageable.

Which ones are you talking about? Yours or the ones global ones? I don't mind providing more sort options if enough people will use them (one principle of usability is not to put too many features that are used by too few or it will clutter the interface for all).

Quote:
email subscriptions could be arranged from a time line, but are they? who knows...they arent alphabetized.

I think it's ordered by when you subscribed to the topic. But it's one of our quick and dirty pages without enough thought put into it and can certainly improve. What did you have in mind? Ordered by latest post? Alphabetized?

Quote:
the most frustrating thing that is not alphabetized is the home page and forums and areas etc...i get to page two and forgot what was on page one and dont know how many more pages there might be and whether i am going backwards or forwards...i must be spatially handicapped. need signposts...

We are going to put a tag search there soon, which may alleviate some of this for you, as you can just search for anything you are specifically looking for even more quickly that way (the forums at the end of the alphabet might be hundreds of pages deep if we included them all).
Irishk

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 11:00 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
It is so white in here it reminds me of when I was born...

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times and had no idea what it meant, so I used the Wayback Machine to get a look at your old forum.

You're right! Smile

Hopefully you'll enjoy your new digs so much, A2K's 'whiteness' won't continue to be an issue. Welcome! Smile
0 Replies