The new amalgamated philosophy forum.

Pangloss

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:58 pm
I also have to say Robert, it's very refreshing to have a forum (or any popular website for that matter) that is advertisement-free. Thanks for that.

I can live with this color scheme and any other imperfection so long as I'm not inundated by flashing/talking banners and other similar annoyances.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:11 pm
Pangloss wrote:
I also have to say Robert, it's very refreshing to have a forum (or any popular website for that matter) that is advertisement-free. Thanks for that.

Yes, that is one great thing about the site. Thanks for pointing that out.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:16 pm
Actually there are ads (if you logout you'll see some on the top of the forums) but they are largely unobtrusive. Some have been turned off during the transition to make the site as easy to use as possible but even when they are on they are fairly subtle (e.g. no members have commented on them being off and I don't even know if they have noticed) and logged in members will usually only see one ad in the footer.

However we don't use any popup advertising, extreme animation, auto-audio etc and also have an ad-free version planned for those who don't like ads at all. But in order to guarantee the viability of the website some ads are needed and we usually keep them at around the levels it takes to pay for the hosting costs.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:22 pm
@Pangloss,
But then how will we know that we won a free iPod if we spent hundreds of dollars on things we don't want or need?

In all seriousness, it is great not having any advertisements. Even though FlashBlock kills most of the advertisements, there are still boxes that can reveal what may be waiting behind the door--and most people do not use FlashBlock. Thus, it is nice that a random computer illiterate person can stumble upon the forum and not be bombarded with advertising from the get go.

EDIT: Robert posted and tamed my last statement to: Well at least they are not bombarded with useless, irritating, and grossly obnoxious ads.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2010 11:38 pm
They may be somewhere, but I haven't noticed them, so that's what matters to me.

And I still don't know what I'm going to do with all those iPods I've won...still waiting for the packages to arrive in the mail, but I just keep getting junk.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 09:01 am
@jeeprs,
CSS?
0 Replies