24

Does free will exist?

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2021 05:08 am
@Jasper10,
I spend my time seeing all kinds of stuff...I am a stuffed up man!

Jasper10

1  
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2021 05:44 am
@Albuquerque,
Third clip......it's about taking a balanced view of each reasoning....these reasonings will try to convince you that SELF doesn't exist....They will also try to convince you that you need to search for PROOF of God's existence OR non-existence.

One has the choice to reject both reasonings because they also confirm the possibility that SELF is separate from reasonings.One should not discount this possibility.
Jasper10

1  
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2021 09:31 am
@Jasper10,
Think of a quantum type computer with reasonings....i.e. 0 and 1 BOTH sides of the fence at the same time.
popeye1945

1  
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2021 09:38 pm
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque, So your saying the source of one's free will is at a subconscious level, then by what means do you know this. Personally, I think everything after the big bang is just compound reaction, a long and unknowable history of reactions. If one has no idea of the vast level of causes that have determined your present actions, speak to me again of freewill.
Jasper10

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 05:51 am
@Jasper10,
When one seeks within one divides right from left.One needs to take each side separately and then divide again.One can then keep the balance and keep ones choice as well.

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:44 am
@popeye1945,
No I am saying that volition, not free anything, it FIRST passes through a subconscious level!
I guess you got that wrong to.

...as for the "origin" which makes no sense from GR, the best it can be said to explain and dismiss pseudo emergence is that "cause" comes from the far future! But then again that is a conversation for another day...
popeye1945

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 08:09 am
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque, It is true that voilion arises out of the subconscious much like the fact that a person does not know what his/her next thought is going to be. The almost limitless preconditions determining one's actions should make it obvious that VOLITION is unconscious. The fact that the brain registers the intent before one becomes conscious of it, kind of seals the deal.
Leadfoot

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 09:44 am
@popeye1945,
So you think the brain is the ultimate slot machine.
I must be one lucky SOB.
What'd you get for your last nickel ?
popeye1945

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 01:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot, DUH!!

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:18 pm
@Leadfoot,
The slot machine is rigged and your last nickel was already paid you just don't know it yet. You got what you could.