30

Does free will exist?

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2022 02:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well Frank I can tell honest to heart that some concepts, some obscure definitions just don't make sense in my mind, no matter how hard I try to rescue them from nonsense...

It doesn't give me any pleasure to come out with some of the answers I feel to be true, but those are what they are, my POV, my prison, my black hole...

Among many side talk subjects and Philosophical opinion there are 3 topics that drove my thought since I was a teen that I could never made sense off. Nothingness, Randomness, and Free Will. Try as I might none of these 3 ever made any sense in my small human skull! They shadow all my thought process and influence all other debates...
Jasper10

-1  
Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 12:51 am
@Albuquerque,
You will probably dismiss this post completely but if you are going to go inward and visualise all matter disappearing into a single point or black hole as you call it,can I challenge you by saying why do you see everything as black? Why can’t it all be white? White in the sense that because a presence is there .i.e. your presence or as I call it your “I am” then there is no black if all can be observed.

If you can’t make your mind up whether it is all black or all white then at least create 2 holes one on the left and one on the right and imagine them containing both black and white at the same time or black with a presence within them both.

I stand back from these 2 holes,one on the left and one on the right and give them a new description.I describe both these holes has glassy containing both black and white or black and presence.

steve reid

3  
Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 04:29 am
@Albuquerque,
Albuquerque wrote:
Those who are not familiar with the problematic tend to point to randomness as a solution when the fact of the matter is that randomness makes it worse as no action that you take has authorship!

Well that's burst my bubble. It now looks like I was searching for something that I don't believe exists, and if I had found it, it would have been of no use in the free will scenario

Just watched the "Max Tegmark - Are There Multiple Universes?" video you recommended, I was happy to hear the randomness comment near the end

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 01:44 pm
@Jasper10,
...the point in that metaphor about mind black holes was one can't see what is black.

Jasper10

-1  
Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2022 10:01 am
@Jasper10,
If your foundational starting point for morality is that there are no good and bad absolutes and are foolish enough then to claim that therefore good is bad and bad is good and this is an absolute and then adopt this half logic 0=1...1=0 philosophy to your science by trying to claim that natures natural electromagnetic forces cancel out then you are in serious error because natures electromagnetic forces do not cancel out. They balance. You therefore seriously need to review your original philosophical starting point because I would suggest that a God that might exist might not be best pleased with you.
Albuquerque

1  
Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2022 03:42 pm
@Jasper10,
When you eat a rabbit you are going to rabbit hell!
So says The Rabbit God!

Jasper10

-2  
Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2022 03:48 pm
@Jasper10,
Well if good is good and bad is bad then there are rules so it doesn’t matter whether you have definitive proof that there there is or isn’t a God.Rules take precedent because they have to be kept perfectly.

Scary stuff.

davado

-3  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2022 04:59 pm
@Night Ripper,
according to the bible our lives are mapped out long before we exist.
The smallest action would change our fate so if the bible is true free will cannot exist. Despite what the catholics say

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2022 09:39 pm
The landscape on the debate on Free Will:
I totally disagree with the POV ascribed here, as the Libertarian view that from Randomness you can learn from the past is self contradictory, and equally, from Determinism, Compatiblism is just a political spin off to maintain the status quo without stirring to much the waters of human comfort zone regarding social organization.

Albuquerque

1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2023 10:36 am
Neuromarketing: