xris

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 06:25 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;126074 wrote:
Why do you all want to make a transition from a Noum to a Phenomena ?
From a "Thing" to a manifestation, an Effect ?

To my view all things still inside "ITSELF" as you said before the "beginning"...
Time\Space\Matter\Energy their are all functions and parameters inside "IT"...(the entire History of the Universe is In not out of It)

...there was no "true" Start...of course, as a Noum out of Time and Space that seems to us close to nothingness, aldo obviously, it must be something...
The ghost train left at 12 am but there was no 11.49.999999 or a train that we could imagine till we saw it leave.
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:56 am
@xris,
xris;126055 wrote:
Samm , I will try again. If you had a mass so great that light could not escape from it. No sign of its existence, nothing existed outside of its frame work, now remembering nothing can not exist. From this I am proposing that even though nothing apparently existed this mass or pure energy did exist within the itself. This is how I see nothing and everything as the same concept. So as there was nothing , there is no space no time for us to conceive of. You cant measure time, if time does not exist , you cant judge age without comparisons. With this in mind the BB came from nothing, you cant in my mind conclude anything else other than what I propose. The only question in my mind is why it decided to become everything instead of nothing. This trigger could be an insignificant event and you could speculate forever on that cause.

There never was nothing. There was and is everything in a nonphysical potential condition outside space-time. That is not "nothing" even if you can't see it. It's there and therefore there is something rather than nothing. You can't have a condition in which nothing exists and at the same time something or everything exists. It must be one or the other. Why can't you see that?

You always say nothing can not exist and then say that nothing does exist as this or that. In this case you say nothing cannot exist and then say the BB came from nothing. It's confusing as hell. Can you clarify your terms and stop talking in paradoxes. You're sounding like some stupid Abbott & Costello routine (Who's on first?) with all this double talk.

Karlos
Krumple

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:35 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;126007 wrote:
Nice try, Krumple, but nope, I'm not talking about "sitting doing nothing," but about the entire universe being frozen in a moment, and even God himself frozen in that moment; my words were "What if the entire universe did nothing, not a single event or activity or motion either physical or non-physical for 27 hours and 33 minutes (and two seconds)?" That's not just "sitting doing nothing!"

My problem was with you using the word sitting. It is a verb so you shouldn't have used it. Sitting is an event, but you really didn't mean sitting. Instead you are talking specifically about the moment. I understand a frame of time.

Samm;126007 wrote:

Nor are you correct that the frozen time would "separate between activity of doing something." In fact, the moment immediately after the freeze would follow from the single frozen moment before it, however long it had remained frozen, and there would be no trace or record anywhere in the universe, at any level of being, of the period of frozen time. There is no time if there is no event.

That's the thing, you can't freeze time. You are stating a hypothetical situation in which I believe can not be done. Sure it sounds logical when you state it but no where has this EVER happened. Time would have to occur if you were freezing time. Let's say you have a time freezer and it is set to freeze time for one minute. If time is frozen the freezer would never be able to reach a minute because time is frozen. Therefore time would be frozen indefinitely. There would be absolutely no way to unfreeze time because that thing would have to act on time to accomplish it. You can't just have an automatic unpause button.

You propose that time just started happening. It can't or that would be an action out of time. You can't have an action in no time. You even stated it yet you contradict yourself when you imply that the universe time just started from being frozen or paused. It can't do that without time already being present.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 12:06 pm
@Krumple,
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 01:22 pm
@SammDickens,
Samm;126170 wrote:
There never was nothing. There was and is everything in a nonphysical potential condition outside space-time. That is not "nothing" even if you can't see it. It's there and therefore there is something rather than nothing. You can't have a condition in which nothing exists and at the same time something or everything exists. It must be one or the other. Why can't you see that?

You always say nothing can not exist and then say that nothing does exist as this or that. In this case you say nothing cannot exist and then say the BB came from nothing. It's confusing as hell. Can you clarify your terms and stop talking in paradoxes. You're sounding like some stupid Abbott & Costello routine (Who's on first?) with all this double talk.

Karlos
So whats the difference between the appearance of nothing and nothing ?
SammDickens

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 02:38 am
@xris,
xris;126199 wrote:
So whats the difference between the appearance of nothing and nothing ?

Absolute nothing cannot have any attributes or properties like size, shape, location, momentum, spin, mass, causality, etc. The appearance of nothing on the other hand may disguise an existent entity having many properties or attributes. This is the chief difference between true (absolute) nothing and the mere appearance of nothing where something exists.

Because absolute nothing can have no properties, it can have no causal efficacy and can therefore not provide explanation for any existence. This is why the existence of something cannot be caused or explained by the non-existence of absolute nothing. Because something clearly exists here and now, it is impossible that there was ever a condition of absolute nothing anywhere in the timeline leading to this here and now.

Samm

---------- Post added 02-09-2010 at 03:03 AM ----------

Krumple;126181 wrote:
My problem was with you using the word sitting. It is a verb so you shouldn't have used it. Sitting is an event, but you really didn't mean sitting. Instead you are talking specifically about the moment. I understand a frame of time.

I would point out that I never used the word "sitting" in my original proposal of the thought experiment. That proposal was made by the following quoted question. "What if the entire universe did nothing, not a single event or activity or motion either physical or non-physical for 27 hours and 33 minutes (and two seconds)?"

Krumple;126181 wrote:
That's the thing, you can't freeze time. You are stating a hypothetical situation in which I believe can not be done. Sure it sounds logical when you state it but no where has this EVER happened. Time would have to occur if you were freezing time. Let's say you have a time freezer and it is set to freeze time for one minute. If time is frozen the freezer would never be able to reach a minute because time is frozen. Therefore time would be frozen indefinitely. There would be absolutely no way to unfreeze time because that thing would have to act on time to accomplish it. You can't just have an automatic unpause button.

You propose that time just started happening. It can't or that would be an action out of time. You can't have an action in no time. You even stated it yet you contradict yourself when you imply that the universe time just started from being frozen or paused. It can't do that without time already being present.

Of course it is a "hypothetical situation." So is moving at the speed of light, but such thought experiments are very useful in grasping the nature of things at times.

But I'm afraid I did not bring home to you the gist of my experiment, which is that if there are no events, then there is no time. Events occur, not because of some force of nature called time, but because of the potentialities eminent in each object and all objects collectively, the motion of the universe.

Finally, the frozen time thing is a thought experiment, and you should not get hung up on it. Time cannot freeze in reality. If there were to be a condition in which no events occurred, then there would be no time. It could hypothetically happen all the time, since there would be no trace of it if it did, but realistically...no, I think not. I think I got the idea from an old Twilight Zone episode. Smile

Samm
xris

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:06 am
@SammDickens,
Samm what do you think lurks in a black hole that for us is invisible?

If I said to you there was nothing before the BB ? you could say nothing comes from nothing, is that correct?

If nothing is visible before the BB what could you conclude from that statement ? That nothing as we know it existed, is that correct?

I tried to be clever with my train but you discounted it as a joke, why? thats exactly what we see with the BB . We can see when the BB initiated, 40 billion years ago, I believe. If there is nothing before the BB how can we say how old it is? It infers a begining and as we know nothing is possible then how can we have begining? So we have eternity measured, but you cant measure eternity, can you.

Whats you theory of the BB ? did it come from nothing, something or was it hidden?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:24 am
@xris,
xris;126391 wrote:

If I said to you there was nothing before the BB ? you could say nothing comes from nothing, is that correct?

If nothing is visible before the BB what could you conclude from that statement ? That nothing as we know it existed, is that correct?

I tried to be clever with my train but you discounted it as a joke, why? thats exactly what we see with the BB . We can see when the BB initiated, 40 billion years ago, I believe. If there is nothing before the BB how can we say how old it is? It infers a begining and as we know nothing is possible then how can we have begining? So we have eternity measured, but you cant measure eternity, can you.

Whats you theory of the BB ? did it come from nothing, something or was it hidden?
xris

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 07:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;126394 wrote:
I honestly dont know I suppose I could google it. It does not matter for the sake of my argument, how old it is. I am going to look..:bigsmile:Your right 13. something and it started at a point, it did not say what point.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 08:17 am
@xris,
xris;126401 wrote:
I honestly dont know I suppose I could google it. It does not matter for the sake of my argument, how old it is. I am going to look..:bigsmile:Your right 13. something and it started at a point, it did not say what point.
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 11:11 am
@xris,
xris;126391 wrote:

Hi, xris. I don't know what's inside a black hole except that I have the notion it's something like a singularity.

If you said there was absolutely nothing before the Big Bang, I would tell you that there has always been something and that you are wrong.

If you tell me nothing is visible before the Big Bang, I will tell you that before the Big Bang no manner of perception is possible. Visibility is an impossibility. There is only being, without separation or division. If you look for this ground state of all being, you cannot find it. And you keep looking, because you keep telling me "nothing is visible." We do not see existence, we only see form.

The Big Bang occurred about 13.7 billion years ago. Cosmologists say that space-time began with the Big Bang. They can take the birth of the universe back to what they call (I think) the Planck Period, something like 10^-32 of a second from the beginning of space-time, although a lot of their theory is of course quite uncertain. I rely on science to give us our best understanding of that event. My interest is in peeking beyond the range of science into the unknown, which I think is fair ground for philosophical speculation.

I only know that the Big Bang could never have occurred if there was not some initial state of existence from which it could erupt. Given that space-time is born with the universe, I assume that the initial existence is "outside" space and time. What can exist outside of space and time? Think of all the properties of an object that are only possible in space and time, and strip those properties away from your open concept of what might exist outside of space and time. Thus, the initial existence has no size or shape, no location or duration, no motion, no change or process, no beginning or end, no number, no multiplicity or division. This tells us that the state of existence from which the universe comes is inconceivable to us, beyond all experience.

But we may know more than what the initial existence isn't, we may also know at least one thing about what it is. The universe came from this initial state of being, so it must somehow hold that potentiality in its strange nature. The nature of the initial existence must be such that, at least once and perhaps infinite times, a Big Bang has erupted into a universe as happened with our own universe.

Samm

What do you mean when you say "we have eternity measured, but you cant measure eternity, can you."?
xris

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 01:23 pm
@SammDickens,
Im glad you say you dont know what exists in a black hole, the same can be said of the singularity that gave us the BB. You may notice that the nothing we DONT see, in the black hole, holds more than we can imagine

Your talking from a view of certainty and nothing is certain. There is no evidence of something that has always existed, so your speculating. Peeking into what may be is what I have been exploring but your certainties are ignoring my possibilities.

Tell me how long has this universe existed? the time is not important, what is important is the fact it started with nothing to judge it from, no point of reference. If the other side of eternity is occupied by nothing , are we measuring the universe as if it was eternity? Its all in the mind nothing and something.
Reconstructo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@no1author,
God as a word for what the imagination imagines is beyond it? This makes God something like the most exciting/transcendent/ineffable something that we can manage to refer to. God as poem-unlimited.
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:16 am
@xris,
I am quite certain that something cannot come from nothing, and therefore something must always have existed; the universe must have come from something that existed, not from nothing. Of that I am certain. If you are not, tell me how nothing could possibly cause or explain the existence of something.

Samm

---------- Post added 02-11-2010 at 12:25 AM ----------

The age of the universe is given as 13.7 billion years since the whole shebang would have occupied a single dot. It did not start from nothing. All you can ever get from nothing is nothing. The universe started from something; space and time and matter and energy were born from something that existed before them, from an initial condition beyond space and time but not beyond existence.
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:28 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;126945 wrote:
I am quite certain that something cannot come from nothing, and therefore something must always have existed; the universe must have come from something that existed, not from nothing. Of that I am certain. If you are not, tell me how nothing could possibly cause or explain the existence of something.
Samm

I don't think this was addressed to me, but it's a good point, and worth an attempt at an answer.

Assuming our brains/minds were evolved for survival on planet Earth, it's possible that our notions of causality are only applicable to our human interactions with our human environment. We are also subject to the limits of this human language which is not necessarily capable of mirroring non-human reality. Although I don't think much about it, I think that God is logically feasible. If we are sporting the patch-work of evolution, our mental abilities might be showing us only the barest fragment of "reality prime." Is the human brain just a peephole, evolved for apelike struggled, turned with difficulty toward ultimate causes? At the same time, these statements don't support a case for God, but only the imaginative/logical possibility.
MMP2506

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:20 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;126949 wrote:
I don't think this was addressed to me, but it's a good point, and worth an attempt at an answer.

Assuming our brains/minds were evolved for survival on planet Earth, it's possible that our notions of causality are only applicable to our human interactions with our human environment. We are also subject to the limits of this human language which is not necessarily capable of mirroring non-human reality. Although I don't think much about it, I think that God is logically feasible. If we are sporting the patch-work of evolution, our mental abilities might be showing us only the barest fragment of "reality prime." Is the human brain just a peephole, evolved for apelike struggled, turned with difficulty toward ultimate causes? At the same time, these statements don't support a case for God, but only the imaginative/logical possibility.

God as a construct has arisen out of modern scientific empiricism. The noun God that we know of, i.e. God is a loving being etc., arose along with the idea that atoms are the foundational building block of life.

Prior to that, atoms didn't exist, and Christian Theologians, such as Aquinas, recognized God as more of a Verb, that was still in the process of becoming. For them, God literally was Synonymous with the words Good and Love and Being and Omnipresent. These weren't merely qualities that were attributed to God, these concepts were God.

This is why the concept of God is so hard to understand now, because most people are still trying to picture a God that is a being among the many of us. God is the "One". He is not contingent as we are, he is independent and infinite.

God's existence is atemporal, meaning he doesn't fit within our restraints of time. God's trace could be felt within any understanding of existence. Therefore, it isn't necessary for God to exist as a Noun, because our ideas of Nouns are restricted by time itself.

Thus God's existence is necessary based on the concept of the existence of a perfectness, and goodness, which can not be disputed. The possibility of these concepts are necessary, so God as a verb existence, as it is traditionally supposed, must exist in any reality, despite your personal disposition of the word "God."
Krumple

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:54 am
@MMP2506,
I find this "newest" interpretation of god to be quite funny and I can't figure out why no one has reasoned out one of these arguments yet. You say:

MMP2506;126969 wrote:

Prior to that, atoms didn't exist, and Christian Theologians, such as Aquinas, recognized God as more of a Verb, that was still in the process of becoming. For them, God literally was Synonymous with the words Good and Love and Being and Omnipresent. These weren't merely qualities that were attributed to God, these concepts were God.

Well what is to say that your current held notion of what god is wouldn't be changed or altered again, if some new information is revealed about time/space or matter, ect? It seems you have missed the obvious conclusion here. What is that?

That god is just what ever one wants to invent for it's definition. If it sounds good, use it, until something contradicts it, then revamp it and you are good to go.

It just seems so absurd that you use an argument to say, well in the past they didn't know the things we know now so, they didn't quite get god correctly, but that is okay because now we got it right.

From my perspective, and I know this will sound condescending, it just sounds like people trying to determine what their invisible friend is made out of. I have an answer for you, it's imagination.
xris

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 04:15 am
@SammDickens,
Samm;126945 wrote:

Samm

---------- Post added 02-11-2010 at 12:25 AM ----------

The age of the universe is given as 13.7 billion years since the whole shebang would have occupied a single dot. It did not start from nothing. All you can ever get from nothing is nothing. The universe started from something; space and time and matter and energy were born from something that existed before them, from an initial condition beyond space and time but not beyond existence.
There is no evidence of a before so your speculating , just like me. Im not saying it came from a certain nothing because nothing can not exist. When you consider we cant have nothing but we have not always appeared to have something,what can you say? Its a paradox that for me can only be that, something and nothing are the same.

If you existed within that singularity everything existed , step outside, if you could, and nothing would exist but nothing can exist? can you understand me? Time and space is only relative to your involvement with it. Its a matter of perspective, outside of this universe , beyond the event horizon, we don't exist , this universe does not exist. Eternity is a closed loop of existing or not existing. Can we live out of this existence is the question.

Im not asking for anyone to agree with me, but please can any one understand my reasoning?:perplexed:
MMP2506

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:02 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;126975 wrote:
I find this "newest" interpretation of god to be quite funny and I can't figure out why no one has reasoned out one of these arguments yet. You say:

Well what is to say that your current held notion of what god is wouldn't be changed or altered again, if some new information is revealed about time/space or matter, ect? It seems you have missed the obvious conclusion here. What is that?

That god is just what ever one wants to invent for it's definition. If it sounds good, use it, until something contradicts it, then revamp it and you are good to go.

It just seems so absurd that you use an argument to say, well in the past they didn't know the things we know now so, they didn't quite get god correctly, but that is okay because now we got it right.

From my perspective, and I know this will sound condescending, it just sounds like people trying to determine what their invisible friend is made out of. I have an answer for you, it's imagination.

My argument is not that people didn't get God correctly in the past; that would be impossible since the word God was created in the past. They were the only ones who understood the true meaning the word God. Same for any word.

My point is that God , for Aquinas and Augustine, was a word used in place of pure perfectness, goodness, and all the other qualities which we commonly consider attributes of God. The modern concept of God is that he is a Being, but going back to Plato God wasn't a one he we The "ONE."

Their image of God could be reasoned to out of necessity, while the current version of God, as a being, is not possible within the constraints of modern scientific positivism and current connotations associated with the meaning of most words.
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:02 pm
@xris,
xris, what I think I understand of your reasoning is not good. You talk of the outside of the singularity, but it has no outside. The bubble, the singularity of which you speak is space-time. You seem stuck on seeing things in space where there is no space, seeing things in time where there is no time. Maybe we should assume that you'll never understand me nor I understand you (although we understand each other better than before at least), and move on to other topics. What do you think?

Samm