SammDickens

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:13 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan, you are giving up everything to God, saying "Oh we are too stupid ever to know this but God is infinitely wise and knows all." As a priest that is a very devout and venerable world view, but as a philosopher it is a complete surrender of your obligation to seek the unknown with reason and logic. It doesn't matter a damn what God knows, frankly. We are philosophers because we seek to know as much as we stupid, ignorant humans can know, to use our God-given abilities to explore beyond the range of our senses. So don't respond to my post with a condescending God-Knows-All attitude. Tell me what YOU think.

Samm

---------- Post added 02-14-2010 at 10:48 AM ----------

xris;128170 wrote:
But do you understand my problem? Its this constant nagging problem if there was nothing before how can you measure it? Something can't start from nothing. You cant have nothing then something,nothing does not exist. If we cant observe a before or even cause then why is it 13 billion years old. We are seriously missing something here, that we either can't understand or answer.

Cosmologists making the statement, of claiming its age, is an admission that the universe is a closed event with a precise age, originating from nothing. Its an admission of creation. Can cosmologist in reality say this? It might be that time has been changing or the observable events are only just that and it could have existed for eternity. We always have this eternity problem, either it is a chain of causes and events or this universe has existed for ever. WE must come to the conclusion that we are missing a certain subtle certainty that reconciles these paradoxes, Ive tried but it appears Ive got it wrong or no one understands me.

Xris, I can only tell you what I've read about what cosmologists know, and that is that it has been 13.7 billion years since the big bang birth of this universe. Some physical theories like string theory entail certain conjectures about how the universe may have come into being through the action of 11-dimensional membranes, but that is still pretty edgy stuff. In my opinion, it doesn't give a final answer anyway because membranes act within time and a final answer must take us to the beginning of time or at least to the beginning of an infinitely recurring cycle that is unaffected by entropy.

I can tell you again that before the universe, existence may be bound up in a state of potential where there is neither time nor space, and in that timeless potential state it may be effectively eternal and unending. This potential state of being is the initial condition from which the universe has its beginning.

As you say, nothing cannot exist. Therefore, there never has been and never will be nothing. There has always been and always will be something, some form of existence. Manifest existence, as in our universe, is distributed across time and space in causal sequence and locally binding interactions. Beings in the manifest existence of the universe have bodies with boundaries in both space and time.

Outside the universe, space and time are only potentials which are unmanifest and latent. In this state of being, everything still exists, but is not distributed over space and time. Everything exists in an absolute unity of being without beginning or end. This state of dynamic potentiality is the beginning point, the initial condition, of every universe that may exist. It is from this point that time begins with the first change (event, process, etc.) from the unmanifest state of being to the manifest state of being.

Samm
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:45 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;124715 wrote:
God is total surrender to his will.

Whose will? ...............
xris

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;128190 wrote:
Whose will? ...............
Is that will or Will.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:04 am
@xris,
xris;128177 wrote:
But are they just illusions Alan, why must we have them both and then let them contradict themselves. If you eliminate the notion of time within the human experience, time or space are not relevant. If you take my box , with absolutely nothing in it, does the box exist? if the box is empty does time exist in that box? If time or space does not exist in the box, what does that imply to whats outside the box? How can you have something surrounding nothing?

We live in box full of everything but we are surrounded by nothing , but you cant have nothing so we are everything, but we are becoming more of everything but how can you have more than everything when you are everything. Do you see what I mean our values are human and they dont cope with certain certainties.

In a way you are correct xris, at the fundamental level what we call common sense vanishes and reality keeps changing to the degree we have to deal with uncertainties and possibilities.

Reality like you state is absolutely subjective , I do not even know that your perception of the color red is the same as mind. Maybe if you could enter my brain and look through my eyes at say a traffic light, you might see what you took for a red light is actually blue to me, not that it matters so long as I continue to to term my red blue :perplexed: Smile
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:03 pm
@no1author,
It must be Augustus somewhere. May-be in Kaapstad?:whoa-dude:
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:05 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;128654 wrote:
It must be Augustus somewhere. May-be in Kaapstad?:whoa-dude:

Ek bly nie in Kaapstad ek bly in Johannesburg die Repulik van Suid Afrika
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:23 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;128754 wrote:
Ek bly nie in Kaapstad ek bly in Johannesburg die Repulik van Suid Afrika

I would love to travel Suidt Africa! Oranje Vrijstat, Transvaal, Durban...

I remnber a song: Joanna Give My Hoop!

Prettige Dag Alan!:a-ok:
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 05:54 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;128851 wrote:
I would love to travel Suidt Africa! Oranje Vrijstat, Transvaal, Durban...

I remnber a song: Joanna Give My Hoop!

Prettige Dag Alan!:a-ok:

The Reggae song by Bob Marley "Oh Joanna give me hope Joanna , was really aimed at apartheid South Africa, Joanna was used in the song instead of Johannesburg ,in the song, because the Regime might pick it up and ban the song, which in the end was exactly what done by the narrow fascist regime hypocrites Smile
0 Replies

awareness

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 04:21 pm
@no1author,
God is a non-fluctuating, non-causal, infinitely peaceful state.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:08 am
@awareness,
awareness;138405 wrote:
God is a non-fluctuating, non-causal, infinitely peaceful state.

:bigsmile: Good Morgen Allen.<

I had a perfeect day this far...

Talk later; Cape Town !:detective::nonooo:
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 03:54 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
:bigsmile: Who is God ? It's trusting in your neighbours; having thoughts a'bout Moral/Ethics... Respect for Diff. Opininons; Respect for Minorities, Menthally ill, Gays, Blacks, Japanese, Germans, French (fries), etcetera.

I do Not Believe in YWH, Cr. God, Al Islam etc.
I read somewhere it's is like Opium for the People.
War is the Same; we have enough problems to tollerate in-tollerance to-wards retarded religious leaders. The Pope is a GD. SS-formerly)<

So were our Q. Consortes.. I give Up to make sense in this F*cked Up W.

Excuse las Palabras.A=dios:Not-Impressed:
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:33 am
@no1author,
no1author;112626 wrote:
I (Atheist) was wondering what God is for the Theists, what is their Definition of God?
What we belive him to be.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 12:52 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;138552 wrote:
:bigsmile: Good Morgen Allen.<

I had a perfeect day this far...

Talk later; Cape Town !:detective::nonooo:

Hoe gaan did vandag?

God is the prime mover the alpha and omega that intelligence that pervades all of existence
Krumple

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:02 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139086 wrote:
Hoe gaan did vandag?

God is the prime mover the alpha and omega that intelligence that pervades all of existence

Don't forget imaginary.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 02:33 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;139038 wrote:
What we belive him to be.

He might not be what we believe him to be at all. It might be true God exists (perhaps not plausible - not debating that), and this God may not be anything we believe him to be. But what is true is true, and what is false is false, regardless of our beliefs.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 04:36 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;139111 wrote:
He might not be what we believe him to be at all. It might be true God exists (perhaps not plausible - not debating that), and this God may not be anything we believe him to be. But what is true is true, and what is false is false, regardless of our beliefs.

:sarcastic: Maybe God is highly anti-cipating. In a war/full planet he;d be March; in developping cultures as a Mesiash; in a Pacifist society as a Venus...& Minerva
:a-thought::thats-enough:
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 06:08 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139086 wrote:
Hoe gaan did vandag?

God verdomme Amsterdamned! Very Happy

---------- Post added 03-13-2010 at 01:11 AM ----------

Zetherin;139111 wrote:
Maybe you have noted the jew, arabs, luther and catholic? (and many more) ..they'r all branches of worshipping the very same god.

So I can't see how my statemen doesn't hold true.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 08:15 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;139104 wrote:
Don't forget imaginary.

The Bible says God created man in his own image I think a better way to put it is God created man from his image-nation (imagination)
Krumple

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 02:04 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;139193 wrote:
The Bible says God created man in his own image I think a better way to put it is God created man from his image-nation (imagination)

And the bible is the work of the human imagination. A work of fiction if you ask me.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 04:43 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;139249 wrote:
And the bible is the work of the human imagination. A work of fiction if you ask me.

I do not agree with you in the absolute, while much of it is the work of man , many divine words of wisdom can be gleaned from it