rajiraouf

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:36 am
@Fido,
Reconstructo;112948 wrote:
God is a nine-dimensional alien from Saturn. His ninth son Umo is currently my tooter!

For some UnGodly reason, this post just made my day. Laughing
Reconstructo;112999 wrote:

If God is Love, what is Glove? (rabies don't hurt me)

what else do you have up your gloves?:Not-Impressed:

Anyway, since the question What is God has been answered, kindly tell me where is God?. Don't want to start a stupid thread titled "Where is God?"
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 03:32 am
@no1author,
God is currently touring the Fifth Quadrant as part of a Deity exchange program. S/he is sure to shake 27 hands with a 9 dimensional Boron. These Borons are the most impressive beings yet known by the Deity class. We, of course, are in the Pet class. Were it not for Umo and his fascination with anthropology, we'd all still be in the dark about this. Most in the Pet class think they are alone in the Hyper-verse. This is no accident. The Deity class uses 5th dimension technology to absorb those messages we send into space (and to destroy comets that would have taken us out in 1540 and 1976.)
0 Replies

Eudaimon

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 05:36 am
@no1author,
no1author;112626 wrote:
I (Atheist) was wondering what God is for the Theists, what is their Definition of God?

Allow me to remember a good thought expressed by James Carse: "If you call yourself an atheist, you should be sure what god you don't believe".
What I mean by God is not something supernatural, it doesn't demand belief. God is love and whosoever abides in love, abides in God even if he doesn't call it God. God is not personality, or whatever, rather it is state of soul which is happy. This is it.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:45 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113636 wrote:
Well, let's just drop the word "God" for this next question. What I mean,I suppose, is this: where does it all come from? Why the universe in the firt place? I'm not saying that this is valid question but that it is a strange and fascinating question. Why something rather than nothing?

For the most part questions are a pleasure for me, as I am quite the happy person, despite all the trouble on earth.

I have spent the past few days off and on trying to answer or at least give some insight into my understanding of your question 'Why something rather than nothing? I cant without God and as you asked for this to be a less than faithful answer i find it even harder to answer than i ever thought.
And even with God i dont come much closer to anything that i see as plausible or descriptive even, it could be to do with purpose but the question in my mind is soemthing that precedes purpose something some excuse for there being something to excuse, so dont think i haven't spent time in the company of this most fundamental even genesis of a question.

What came to me yesterday was, 'What is ...is', but i dont think this fulfils the fullness of what you asked.
So tonight i was given 'What would a moth be without its flame?'
Because i think that the question asks why there is reason over the example of a reason it is really hard to answer,
so i thank you profoundly for a question we all ask ourselves but are rarely asked by another, nice to know we all dont have all the answers or even just that one,
This is an important question, 'Why something rather than nothing?'
If you could give me source material of where and why you found this question it might help me in answering it for myself first and then give you a responce.
Do you have an answer, or as i suspect is it a question that can only ever be asked without a finish.
Thank you again.
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 01:25 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;114259 wrote:

What came to me yesterday was, 'What is ...is', but i dont think this fulfils the fullness of what you asked.
So tonight i was given 'What would a moth be without its flame?'
Because i think that the question asks why there is reason over the example of a reason it is really hard to answer,
so i thank you profoundly for a question we all ask ourselves but are rarely asked by another, nice to know we all dont have all the answers or even just that one,
This is an important question, 'Why something rather than nothing?'
If you could give me source material of where and why you found this question it might help me in answering it for myself first and then give you a responce.
Do you have an answer, or as i suspect is it a question that can only ever be asked without a finish.
Thank you again.

Leibniz, I think, on why something rather than nothing. Heidegger on What is is? Old Heidegger liked to say thinking was thanking. He thought that our thought had become to practical, too obsessed with truth and technology. that It had lost touch with the sacred and poetic.
sometime sun

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 09:30 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;114333 wrote:
Leibniz, I think, on why something rather than nothing. Heidegger on What is is? Old Heidegger liked to say thinking was thanking. He thought that our thought had become to practical, too obsessed with truth and technology. that It had lost touch with the sacred and poetic.

Thinking was thanking
Prayer is panting
Truth is in the telling
As much as in the smelling?

Are we told to be beautiful and sacred and poetic? No we just need to be it.Smile
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:32 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;114333 wrote:
A very good description of our modern and technological society. Not only have we lost touch with nature, we have also lost touch with god, with mythos and with telos. It is small wonder that so many feel alienated,anxious, isolated and without a compass (an intergrated world view) in modern society.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:38 am
@prothero,
prothero;114555 wrote:
A very good description of our modern and technological society. Not only have we lost touch with nature, we have also lost touch with god, with mythos and with telos. It is small wonder that so many feel alienated,anxious, isolated and without a compass (an intergrated world view) in modern society.

But we do have anesthetics. Try surgery without them. And we do have antibiotics. Try having a raging infection without them. So it is not all bad.

"Philosophy is the assemblage of reminders for a particular purpose". Wittgenstein.
prothero

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:45 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114557 wrote:
But we do have anesthetics. Try surgery without them. And we do have antibiotics. Try having a raging infection without them. So it is not all bad.
Oh no, I would be the first to applaud the role of science and technology in improving our lives and our understanding of the world. It is just that something else has been lost. We now worship science in the way we used to worship god. Really a complete world view requires more than just religion, it also requires more than just science.

"Science without religion is lame, Religion without science is blind" Einstein.
Using religion in the broadest possible sense of the term.

Man is a meaning seeking creature, trying to place himself in relationship to nature, life and death and science alone does not do this. The ancients understood the balance between logos, mythos and telos. Moderns have forgotten or lost it.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 12:54 am
@prothero,
prothero;114561 wrote:
Oh no, I would be the first to applaud the role of science and technology in improving our lives and our understanding of the world. It is just that something else has been lost. We now worship science in the way we used to worship god. Really a complete world view requires more than just religion, it also requires more than just science.

"Science without religion is lame, Religion without science is blind" Einstein.
Using religion in the broadest possible sense of the term.

Man is a meaning seeking creature, trying to place himself in relationship to nature, life and death and science alone does not do this. The ancients understood the balance between logos, mythos and telos. Moderns have forgotten or lost it.

I don't worship science (nor do I know anyone who does). In fact, I really have no idea what it is you mean by "worshiping science". Yes, I know. Einstein was very "spiritual", which is, I suppose what you mean by "religion" in the broadest sense. I never understood why Einstein is looked upon as some fount of wisdom because he was a great scientist. (Now that's more like worshiping science). I do wish that people would cut it out. There is no reason for it.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 02:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114563 wrote:
I never understood why Einstein is looked upon as some fount of wisdom because he was a great scientist. (Now that's more like worshiping science). I do wish that people would cut it out. There is no reason for it.

Agreed and thank you.
Worshiping the scientist the man over science and or religion and or God is useless, man changes is alterable, shifts in his shoes, is falible and never always correct.
There really is no reason to worship a person or personality even the faith of the personality (a star is born) over the subject they are trying to learn or teach, always to much room for hypocrisy and personal even selfish agenda.
Worshiping a person is rarely if ever selfless (divine).
Love the science not the introducer.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:42 am
@no1author,
Hi There folks,

My idea about God is contained in the below essay by me some time ago!

The Unploughed fields of nothing
Author
Alan McDougall 20/9/2007

[CENTER]THE VAST UNPLOUGHED FIELDS OF NOTHING BY ALAN MCDOUGALL 3/2/2005
[/CENTER]

Aware of infinite potential in vast unploughed fields of nothing, I strode with great beams of cosmic light toward the infinite horizon of eternity, sowing seeds of existence before the timeless moment of creation. I am the boundless Mind, Original Self-Awareness the cause of everything, relative to nothing I am This. On the panorama of bleak blackness, I strode on the back of the Absolute, sowing universal energy. Reality was my aim and the beauty of my achievement. Illuminating the darkness with beams of dazzling radiant glory was the first event of reason. I formulated in my mind the first number and called it "One",
With the now realities of the fundamentals of' "one, and 'zero", I made everything. I am the Prime Mover and there was no proponent to my First Cause. I am the Immovable Rock and the Alpha point. I took these first numbers and weaved them into the fabric of the reality, creating all the limitless universes on the infinite timeless foam of nothing, which now makes all up existence. Indeed, I am the Almighty One. If you are, wise. "Do one thing, RESPECT me.
God rested and dreamed

I experienced time only in my dreams said God. God first dreamed. The cup of dreams ran over like unto rivers that overflow their banks. For God dreamed Infinity of dreams in an instant, and the Infinity multiplied by infinity for an Eternity created all possibilities in one awesome now.

It was the Realm of Chaos. God began to create outside the Absolute Realm and started the first realities based on dimensions and textures.

For eons, slumbering God just observed the dreams. God delighted and God began to alter the flow and pattern of His dreaming state by switching from observer to participant. For God grew tired of the confusion and started controlling his dreams until they became patterns of joy that grew with beauty, precision and majesty. When God learned moved from his rest his time of chaos was over and the dawn of the Perfect Realm began. Moreover, the universe sprang into being. Chaos changed back to order.

"Time - Actually the use of the word time here is inaccurate, but it will have to suffice for lack of a better term. From God's perspective, there is no time, only an ever changing now. Our use of time is a way to express beginnings, ends, and is used here to mark the beginning and ending of chaos."

I am the painter and the painting, singer and the song, the dance and the dancer, the stage and the actors, the writer of the script of existence. I am all these things who am I? I am Ultimate-All the Absolute Totally of all existence, yes, I am This, and do you exist? Then why cant to I exist? The imprudent ask where you are, the wind blows on your cheek and you ask 'where are you? The oceans roar and you ask,' 'where are you? The stars glow and you say mysterious one, 'if you would only show yourself, blood flows in your vessels and you say 'what are you? Indeed, I am the First Cause and the Immovable Rock.
I am the encompasser and enfold all things within the substance of my being. Resonating with profound unfathomable vibrations, creation trembles at the passing of my presence.
I am the stalker of the soul, the defeater of death. I am Supreme and take the abstract, and convert it into concrete matter.
I dwell in composite bright light, which is the breath of my life. I now look with delight upon the beauty of the garden of my creation, sparkling out of the darkness of infinite universes. In eternal joy, I survey my prime creation and called it life.
I set and start the clock of eternal time while dwelling outside in the ever-now moment
I am the creator of the totality of all existence known by many names and titles but you must all refer to be by the title that must never be confused by anyone. I AM THAT and I AM THIS
I SIMPLY:
AM
"I AM LIFE"

By Alan McDougall 18/11/2007
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 10:58 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;114557 wrote:

"Philosophy is the assemblage of reminders for a particular purpose". Wittgenstein.

Think of what our condition would be if we did not give people the form (Organized Religon) that becomes the source of wealth and power for so many, and lives only to justify itself... These forms always plod upon the human spirit... They always stand in the way of thought and imagination...If you believe them, that they hold truth, and the keys to heaven, what is the point of finding out for ones self???

And I won't tell you that science, medicine, or government as forms are any better...If people defer to science for truth, certainly they can cure some ills, but only to suffer poverty, malnutrition of one sort or another, overpopulation, and war...The cure represents only a greater level of disease... Antibiotics are handed to the third world cheap so they can live besie open sewers while they live as slaves until the drug no longer works... We know what it takes to live in health, and it is not to forever have the technology of medicine chasing dread disease around with a spoon... Common sense, which should be the job of government, is replaced by the job of getting elected or catching bribes...

WE cannot live with filth...We cannot live with immorality...We cannot live with over crowding, hoplessness, or the destruction of our environment...We cannot live with war... All of these conditions breed diseases faster than they can be cured...But the forms, of science/medicine, religion, and government won't act because they cannot act, except in the case of religion which feeds off of human misery...
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
@no1author,
god is a knife in the back of the working man....let's drown this god...like he drowned us...

:flowers:

umo is the true god.
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 07:29 pm
@no1author,
God is the Inscrutable Uncaused Cause of Everything
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:37 pm
@no1author,
God is Being who exists simultaneously in 99 dimensions. He has 22 thousand arms and an IQ of 85 billion. His ninth son is a good friend of mine. He's purple and about the size of mini-me, but he's really quite proportionate and handsome.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 10:09 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;115070 wrote:
god is a knife in the back of the working man....let's drown this god...like he drowned us...

:flowers:

umo is the true god.

You drown him...I don't waste much time wrestling with infinites...

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 11:10 PM ----------

Alan McDougall;115111 wrote:
God is the Inscrutable Uncaused Cause of Everything

Does he cause you to be better??? If so, consider your God your God...
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:08 am
@Fido,
Fido;115195 wrote:
You drown him...I don't waste much time wrestling with infinites...

---------- Post added 12-28-2009 at 11:10 PM ----------

Does he cause you to be better??? If so, consider your God your God...

He is the First Primordial Uncaused Cause after that he left it to us to cause what we like all the way down the line.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:16 am
@no1author,
What is God is an anagram for I am late...
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:38 am
@no1author,
What about the inscrutable infinite