Omnipotence impossible?

HexHammer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:35 am
@manored,
manored;148520 wrote:
I dont understand the first sentence, but I get the general idea.

I know those things because they are logical conclusions, aka, if god exists he certainly is within the boundaries of these conclusions.

These people you have met are religions people, and know nothing about god. I am not a religions person, I am looking at the concept of god from an entirely logical point of view: If he exists, he is obviously not omnipotent, and its obvious that either he doesnt have power to end evil on earth, doesnt wants to or both, because evil on earth is still here. That can be applied to anything he is not doing, and that actually works for people and what they are not doing as well. Beyond that, I dont think there is anything else we can conclude about god.
..oooh, yearh ..logic! Albert Nobel invented dynamite to end all wars, as he logically concluded people would get scared and not dare wage wars again.

In times of old we concluded the earth was flat, as it couldn't possible be round as people would fall off the earth.

If you are a witch, you will float, if you are innocent, you will sink.

..uhmm ..yearh, logic is soo infallible.
chikong

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:35 am
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:
Many of you believe in an omnipotent god of sorts, but I think omnipotence is impossible. There is a paradox that demonstrates why its impossible, 'can an omnipotent god make a rock so big he can't lift it".

If yes, then he definitely isn't omnipotent, because he can't lift the rock.
If no, then he isn't omnipotent, because he can't make a rock he can not lift.

Either way, there has to be something he can not do.

Some have replied to this with the following analogy:

It's like having 2 circles, and asking to draw one larger than the largest one, if you don't have the pencil to draw it with you can't draw it. that shouldn't be an issue for god, he can do anything. He can just make a bigger pencil if he has to.

Also, there is another point, which touches on the Problem of Evil. If he is omnipotent, why did he make all creation imperfect? Because he either isn't kind, loving, merciful or is evil, or is not capable of making perfect beings, and is again, not omnipotent.

I did this seperate from the "is god omnipotent" because I am just argueing whether or not Omnipotence is impossible btw

Laughing Your kidding right? Do you understand the word omnipotent/omnipotence? Why would an omnipotent God make something he cannot lift? For what? From the word omnipotent there's nothing he cannot do, all things are possible for him. What your talking about is contradictory to the word omnipotent. We are not here to question the greatness of God because first and foremost he is a God that is infinite. We are just finite beings. And one thing if God makes all things perfect, what the use of creating this world when it is already perfect? If thats the case then all of us are Gods. There is only one perfect being, an infinite one and omnipotent and that is him!!!:a-thought:cool:
0 Replies

manored

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:53 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;148528 wrote:
..oooh, yearh ..logic! Albert Nobel invented dynamite to end all wars, as he logically concluded people would get scared and not dare wage wars again.

In times of old we concluded the earth was flat, as it couldn't possible be round as people would fall off the earth.

If you are a witch, you will float, if you are innocent, you will sink.

..uhmm ..yearh, logic is soo infallible.
Arent you using logic to conclude this? =)

Anyway, no point questioning logic, because computer programs cannot eraze thenselves. People fail, logic is an instrument so if it fails it is because people failed. There is nothing wrong with logic.
HexHammer

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 02:54 pm
@manored,
manored;149063 wrote:
Arent you using logic to conclude this? =)

Anyway, no point questioning logic, because computer programs cannot eraze thenselves. People fail, logic is an instrument so if it fails it is because people failed. There is nothing wrong with logic.
I'm not saying logic is useless, just be very careful to praise logic for being logic, as humans often see it as an infalible tool, which it is not.
manored

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:22 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;149694 wrote:
I'm not saying logic is useless, just be very careful to praise logic for being logic, as humans often see it as an infalible tool, which it is not.

If you mean that sometimes people ignore the fact that their reasoning may be wrong, then I agree.
north

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2010 09:35 pm
@manored,
Omnipotence impossible?

what would this imply ?
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 01:34 am
@hadad,
It should be obvious that God could do things that are impossible to we small mortal humans, but something that is in the absolute impossible, not even god can do that
0 Replies