Omnipotence impossible?

HexHammer

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:38 am
@hadad,
Never understand all this stuff about why God himself should lift a rock, why get His fingers dirty? Let the angels do it, that's why there there in the first place.
manored

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:07 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;145130 wrote:
Never understand all this stuff about why God himself should lift a rock, why get His fingers dirty? Let the angels do it, that's why there there in the first place.
Who said angels exist?

Ah, yes, the church...

Dont listen to then! =)
HexHammer

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
@manored,
manored;145200 wrote:
Who said angels exist?

Ah, yes, the church...

Dont listen to then! =)
Who said God exist, ah yes ..the church, no angels = no God.
Night Ripper

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 01:01 pm
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:
Many of you believe in an omnipotent god of sorts, but I think omnipotence is impossible. There is a paradox that demonstrates why its impossible, 'can an omnipotent god make a rock so big he can't lift it".

If yes, then he definitely isn't omnipotent, because he can't lift the rock.
If no, then he isn't omnipotent, because he can't make a rock he can not lift.

Either way, there has to be something he can not do.

Some have replied to this with the following analogy:

It's like having 2 circles, and asking to draw one larger than the largest one, if you don't have the pencil to draw it with you can't draw it. that shouldn't be an issue for god, he can do anything. He can just make a bigger pencil if he has to.

Also, there is another point, which touches on the Problem of Evil. If he is omnipotent, why did he make all creation imperfect? Because he either isn't kind, loving, merciful or is evil, or is not capable of making perfect beings, and is again, not omnipotent.

I did this seperate from the "is god omnipotent" because I am just argueing whether or not Omnipotence is impossible btw

You are committing the modal fallacy: 'The' Modal Fallacy - Prof. Norman Swartz
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 02:44 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;145215 wrote:
Who said God exist, ah yes ..the church, no angels = no God.
But people already said god existed before the church, angels are another story though =)

God may exist, angels are less likely to exist than god.
HexHammer

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2010 03:41 pm
@manored,
manored;145762 wrote:
But people already said god existed before the church, angels are another story though =)

God may exist, angels are less likely to exist than god.
Chance = chance = still a chance!
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 12:11 am
@hadad,
In a way there can be no omni potency if there were then God would have to be omni stupid
Krumple

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 12:17 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146013 wrote:
In a way there can be no omni potency if there were then God would have to be omni stupid

Why not come to the realization that god is just a concept and not a reality? That is why definitions about god are often contradictory. It is not that a god defies definition its just what people want to a god to be simply contradicts itself.

Everything that we experience can be explained without the need for a god to exist. I am not saying that we can explain everything yet, but there are a great many things that we previously attributed to a god but now we understand them as they really are. For example, sickness or illnesses were once believed to be caused by demons. We now know those demons are actually viruses and germs. The plague wasn't caused by Satan as the old bishops would like to have people believe. The plagues of the past were caused by unsanitary conditions and once the sickness began people would infect the healthy creating the epidemic.

Off topic because the topic of omnipotence is generally a topic without any real substantial meaning to begin with. Talking about a god is just as meaningless as discussing omnipotence.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 12:26 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;146015 wrote:
Why not come to the realization that god is just a concept and not a reality? That is why definitions about god are often contradictory. It is not that a god defies definition its just what people want to a god to be simply contradicts itself.

Everything that we experience can be explained without the need for a god to exist. I am not saying that we can explain everything yet, but there are a great many things that we previously attributed to a god but now we understand them as they really are. For example, sickness or illnesses were once believed to be caused by demons. We now know those demons are actually viruses and germs. The plague wasn't caused by Satan as the old bishops would like to have people believe. The plagues of the past were caused by unsanitary conditions and once the sickness began people would infect the healthy creating the epidemic.

Off topic because the topic of omnipotence is generally a topic without any real substantial meaning to begin with. Talking about a god is just as meaningless as discussing omnipotence.

Yet people continue unabatedly to discuss God and omnipotence
Krumple

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 12:33 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146022 wrote:
Yet people continue unabatedly to discuss God and omnipotence

Yeah a lot of abstract things which defy definition seem to be topics of discussion. The reason why the concept comes up so often, especially in a philosophical environment is because there are people who are convinced that discussing god is in some way philosophical. It is just imagination and definitions that do not logically work. Some people insist on talking about it as if it were a real thing worth discussing. It seems nothing more than discussing ones mental illness.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:02 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;146027 wrote:
Yeah a lot of abstract things which defy definition seem to be topics of discussion. The reason why the concept comes up so often, especially in a philosophical environment is because there are people who are convinced that discussing god is in some way philosophical. It is just imagination and definitions that do not logically work. Some people insist on talking about it as if it were a real thing worth discussing. It seems nothing more than discussing ones mental illness.

What else should we discuss, it would be interesting to get the whole forums view on this.?
HexHammer

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:17 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146109 wrote:
What else should we discuss, it would be interesting to get the whole forums view on this.?
I have to agree 100% with Krumple.

Discussing God is just evidence of the stupidity in man, and his endulgence in useless things.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:30 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;146112 wrote:
I have to agree 100% with Krumple.

Discussing God is just evidence of the stupidity in man, and his endulgence in useless things.

What a bleak cold view of life and existence, I believe, but do not know, if there is or is not a god, but the truth will remain the truth no matter whatever it is, or whatever I think and whatever you think Smile
HexHammer

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:35 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146118 wrote:
What a bleak cold view of life and existence, I believe, but do not know, if there is or is not a god, but the truth will remain the truth no matter whatever it is, or whatever I think and whatever you think Smile
We have discussed it for thousands of years, and never once came up with any evidence, quite the contrary. The boss of christians (the pope) often made babbleishly statemens like flat earth, centerd earth ..etc. In recent years we have all the pedophiles. You belive, because you WANT to belive, nothing more.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:47 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;146120 wrote:
We have discussed it for thousands of years, and never once came up with any evidence, quite the contrary. The boss of christians (the pope) often made babbleishly statemens like flat earth, centerd earth ..etc. In recent years we have all the pedophiles. You belive, because you WANT to belive, nothing more.

The boss of Christians is not the Pope, but the Lord Jesus Christ himself. The pope is in for an ugly surprise when he finds out that in the eyes of god he is just one unremarkable man amounts of the masses of humanity
Krumple

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 06:55 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146118 wrote:

Life does not require a god to exist for it to be not cold or bleak. Life for me is not bleak nor cold so what are you talking about? For you maybe it would be but for me it's not. I don't need a god to exist to see life in the way that I do.

You are right, the truth will be the truth regardless of what one thinks or believes. If that is the case then all avoidance to that understand is irrational behavior. You have no convincing evidence to insist that such a being exists so it is irrational to actually believe one does. The same goes for the after life. You have no convincing evidence to prove that an afterlife exists, so it is irrational to believe that there is an after life. It is nothing different than deciding a criminal case. If there is no convincing evidence, why would you assume guilt? It is irrational and I am glad I live in a time when convincing evidence is required to presume guilt. Rather than during a time that you were convicted of being a witch and sentenced to burning.
0 Replies

pondfish

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:00 am
@hadad,
Weak will believe. Because they are weak.

Humans are useless rotten animal. He can't think for himself. All of them bonafide idiots

Humans - animal with beliefs.

Even if someone come and say they are GODS , will you believe because they can create things ?. Even magicians can create things as long you do not know the trick.

Gullible will believe in all kind of crap. You can't stop them.

All humans are gullible.

Only conman claims he is a god or omnipotent.... may be relative to what?.

This is useless argument...just time killing exercise.

Ask the right question. A question without assumption!. Smile
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 07:41 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;146124 wrote:
The boss of Christians is not the Pope, but the Lord Jesus Christ himself. The pope is in for an ugly surprise when he finds out that in the eyes of god he is just one unremarkable man amounts of the masses of humanity
Why do you speak in contradicting ways of thousands of years of christianity? Are you deminishing the role of Peter keeper of the key?
0 Replies

chikong

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2010 08:17 am
@hadad,
Being an omnipotent of a God is part of being a God! You cannot take that away from him because if you would then you are no longer talking of a God. God is omnipotent period plain and simple!
HexHammer

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2010 06:00 am
@chikong,
chikong;146152 wrote:
Being an omnipotent of a God is part of being a God! You cannot take that away from him because if you would then you are no longer talking of a God. God is omnipotent period plain and simple!
Then what leaves it for other gods? The bible does aknowledge that there are other gods, just that you must have no others before him.