Omnipotence impossible?

hadad

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:32 am
Many of you believe in an omnipotent god of sorts, but I think omnipotence is impossible. There is a paradox that demonstrates why its impossible, 'can an omnipotent god make a rock so big he can't lift it".

If yes, then he definitely isn't omnipotent, because he can't lift the rock.
If no, then he isn't omnipotent, because he can't make a rock he can not lift.

Either way, there has to be something he can not do.

Some have replied to this with the following analogy:

It's like having 2 circles, and asking to draw one larger than the largest one, if you don't have the pencil to draw it with you can't draw it. that shouldn't be an issue for god, he can do anything. He can just make a bigger pencil if he has to.

Also, there is another point, which touches on the Problem of Evil. If he is omnipotent, why did he make all creation imperfect? Because he either isn't kind, loving, merciful or is evil, or is not capable of making perfect beings, and is again, not omnipotent.

I did this seperate from the "is god omnipotent" because I am just argueing whether or not Omnipotence is impossible btw
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,849 • Replies: 146
No top replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 05:03 am
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:
Many of you believe in an omnipotent god of sorts, but I think omnipotence is impossible. There is a paradox that demonstrates why its impossible, 'can an omnipotent god make a rock so big he can't lift it".

It's like having 2 circles, and asking to draw one larger than the largest one, if you don't have the pencil to draw it with you can't draw it. that shouldn't be an issue for god, he can do anything. He can just make a bigger pencil if he has to.

Also, there is another point, which touches on the Problem of Evil. If he is omnipotent, why did he make all creation imperfect? Because he either isn't kind, loving, merciful or is evil, or is not capable of making perfect beings, and is again, not omnipotent.

I did this seperate from the "is god omnipotent" because I am just argueing whether or not Omnipotence is impossible btw

My Pop can do both. His powers transcend your imagination. He made that imagination out of stuff left over in the basement from a party of Multiverse Deities. My Pop is just Pop to me, not God, but he did create the Milky Way. But then he had a little help from Rainbow Bright. In any case, Pop and I are seven dimensional beings with a combined IQ of something like 3 million. I assure you, if a human can conceive it, it's not worth doing for the likes of us. Our fingernails transcend the greatest artworks created by your species. In fact your species is marked with our fingernails, as you are indeed a little ant farm we whipped up in a moment of humor. I'm only 7 million years old, so I've still got a lot to learn, but I have seen my Pop kick a supernova into a black hole while simultaneously reclining on a pulsar six million parsecs away in a direction you humans haven't discovered yet, poor 3 dimensional primates. Good luck!
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 01:30 pm
@Reconstructo,
Omnipotence also involves will. An omnipotent God can simply choose not to make the rock, thereby exercising the ultimate power in omnipotence, Omnipotent doesn't mean that everything must be done by necessity. Also Omnipotence doesn't mean all possible, it means all powerful. Power can only be exercised within the possible thus an all powerful rock creator can only create and lift rocks within the realm of possible rock creation and rock lifting.
Emil

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:03 pm
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:

If you formalize that argument then you will see that it is a modal fallacy. See this page for an explanation.
manored

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:11 pm
@Emil,
Emil;112175 wrote:
If you formalize that argument then you will see that it is a modal fallacy. See this page for an explanation.
I didnt understand that =) What the > and the <> there mean?
Justin

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:12 pm
@hadad,
That omnipotent God is not separate from that rock, he is that rock. Likewise with all of the worlds creation. God separateness is something we've come up with in an effort to seek out this omnipotent God. We seek truth in something separate from us, separate from things, and separate from the world we live in. We seek to define god in the illusion of life which inherently is separate from life and separate from this God Deity we've so conveniently manufactured through the centuries.
William

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:19 pm
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:

No, he can't! What makes you think he could? Haven't you heard of dynamite? Drill bits? Blasting caps? Fuses and such? Nice argument though.

William
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 05:48 pm
@Justin,
Justin;112180 wrote:
That omnipotent God is not separate from that rock, he is that rock. Likewise with all of the worlds creation. God separateness is something we've come up with in an effort to seek out this omnipotent God. We seek truth in something separate from us, separate from things, and separate from the world we live in. We seek to define god in the illusion of life which inherently is separate from life and separate from this God Deity we've so conveniently manufactured through the centuries.

Irrelevant post is irrelevant.

---------- Post added 12-18-2009 at 12:50 AM ----------

manored;112179 wrote:

You need to learn formal logic if you want to properly judge arguments. Start out with propositional logic, then predicate, then modal propositional which is what is used in that link.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:10 pm
@manored,
manored;112179 wrote:
I would like to second this sentiment while Laughing

The problem with answering the question, (is omnipotence possible?) is that it contains an undefined term. Never try to give a reasonable answer to unreasonable question.

Power is "Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might." When the resistance to a force is reduced to 0, there is no longer any way to conceive of force as being of finite amount.
Emil

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 08:03 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;112237 wrote:
I would like to second this sentiment while Laughing

The problem with answering the question, (is omnipotence possible?) is that it contains an undefined term. Never try to give a reasonable answer to unreasonable question.

Power is "Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might." When the resistance to a force is reduced to 0, there is no longer any way to conceive of force as being of finite amount.

Logical omnipotence = the ability to do everything that is logically possible.

That wasn't so hard, was it?
Arjuna

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 08:31 pm
@Emil,
Emil;112267 wrote:
Logical omnipotence = the ability to do everything that is logically possible.

That wasn't so hard, was it?
If this was a joke, I didn't get it.Surprised
Emil

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:10 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;112270 wrote:
If this was a joke, I didn't get it.Surprised

I pointed out that omnipotence is defined. There are at least two relatively known versions of it, unrestricted omnipotence "can do anything", and logical omnipotence "can do anything that is logically possible". Claiming that it is undefined is weak, dude.
manored

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:13 pm
@Emil,
Emil;112228 wrote:

You need to learn formal logic if you want to properly judge arguments. Start out with propositional logic, then predicate, then modal propositional which is what is used in that link.
This would have been faster if you had just told me what the symbols mean =)

GoshisDead;112170 wrote:
Omnipotence also involves will. An omnipotent God can simply choose not to make the rock, thereby exercising the ultimate power in omnipotence, Omnipotent doesn't mean that everything must be done by necessity. Also Omnipotence doesn't mean all possible, it means all powerful. Power can only be exercised within the possible thus an all powerful rock creator can only create and lift rocks within the realm of possible rock creation and rock lifting.
It just struck me that this is the solution. One being that can do anything can also give up its power. So if this being creates a rock it cannot lift, it gave up its omnipotence.

Aka: Not being omnipotent after an act doesnt means you werent omnipotent before.
Arjuna

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 02:32 pm
@Emil,
Emil;112310 wrote:
I pointed out that omnipotence is defined. There are at least two relatively known versions of it, unrestricted omnipotence "can do anything", and logical omnipotence "can do anything that is logically possible". Claiming that it is undefined is weak, dude.
I'm not familiar with omnipotence being defined in either of those ways. If you want to adopt those definitions as your own and proceed from there, I have no qualms with that.

As it is, I hold to the definition expressed in the word itself: all-powerful. It's also associated with the idea of unlimited power. At the point you want to stretch over to that way of looking at it, I can show you why the term can't be used in a practical way. Intuitively, we're left with what Justin previously posted: God is everything.
manored

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:16 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;112449 wrote:

As it is, I hold to the definition expressed in the word itself: all-powerful. It's also associated with the idea of unlimited power. At the point you want to stretch over to that way of looking at it, I can show you why the term can't be used in a practical way. Intuitively, we're left with what Justin previously posted: God is everything.
I dont think that solves the problem at hand... If god is everything, then he is also unexistent, and, winhout a god, we cant solve the problem. We need a god in the classical sense: A separate being.

If light is everwhere, is there light?
Quinn phil

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:27 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;112170 wrote:

With enough power, you can break the limits of what's possible. Plus, you have to realize that you're talking about GOD hear. This man can supposedly do anything. And you think that he can't perform the impossible? I think that his argument is legit.

If god is immortal, can he kill himself?
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:49 am
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;112676 wrote:
With enough power, you can break the limits of what's possible. Plus, you have to realize that you're talking about GOD hear. This man can supposedly do anything. And you think that he can't perform the impossible? I think that his argument is legit.

Can you really break the limits of what is possible? Possibility is the limit if something breaks a limit it was already possible just not recognized as possible.
0 Replies

Quinn phil

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 11:57 am
@hadad,
Then nothing's impossible.
QuinticNon

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:00 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;112449 wrote:
Intuitively, we're left with what Justin previously posted: God is everything.

What does that speak to the concept of idolatry?

BTW... Kudos in your adherence to formal definitions earlier. We would all do well to abide by and acknowledge that which is known vs that which is preference.

---------- Post added 12-19-2009 at 12:02 PM ----------

Quinn;112688 wrote:

That's impossible.

---------- Post added 12-19-2009 at 12:07 PM ----------

Quinn;112676 wrote:

That is the Christian concept.

Mine is a variation from that. I believe that God and Truth are equal concepts. God is Truth. The question for me is "Is Truth Sentient"?

If one were to kill the Truth, then it is True that Truth was killed. Hence Truth lives.

Even if we lived in an entirely deceptive universe... if that is the Truth, then the Truth IS that we live in an entirely deceptive universe.

Truth IS. How may we hold immaterial ISness to the requirements of simple materialism, as if materialism is all that IS?

Truth IS. I Am.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 12:15 pm
@Quinn phil,
Quinn;112688 wrote:

What I said in no way makes all things possible. Simply says you cannot break the limits of possibility. Combined with the previous post of mine. One can only exersize power i.e. omnipotence, within possibility. Omnipotence in no way implies the ability to transcend possibility it only extends power to those limits.