Omnipotence impossible?

prothero

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 10:55 am
@hadad,
Well a discussion of the terms "omnipotence" , "god" and "impossible" would be central to discussing or communicating about the topic. In fact most of the entire discussion would probably center on the meaning or relationaship of such terms.

The question itself is not scientific, and the question can not be answered in any definiitive manner. Logical positivism would declare the question without meaning. Even without a definitive answer there is value in rationally speculating and exchanging views about the notion of "god" and the notion of "omnipotence".

Personally, I think the notion of the divine as "omnipotent" is a theological mistake and imcompatible with the freedom or independent existence of any reality other than god. To truly exist is to have some independent power.
Emil

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 11:56 am
@prothero,
prothero;114429 wrote:
Well a discussion of the terms "omnipotence" , "god" and "impossible" would be central to discussing or communicating about the topic. In fact most of the entire discussion would probably center on the meaning or relationaship of such terms.

The question itself is not scientific, and the question can not be answered in any definiitive manner. Logical positivism would declare the question without meaning. Even without a definitive answer there is value in rationally speculating and exchanging views about the notion of "god" and the notion of "omnipotence".

Personally, I think the notion of the divine as "omnipotent" is a theological mistake and imcompatible with the freedom or independent existence of any reality other than god. To truly exist is to have some independent power.

Why do you think that it cannot be settled in any definitive manner? I think it is settled.
prothero

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:08 pm
@Emil,
Emil;114433 wrote:
Why do you think that it cannot be settled in any definitive manner? I think it is settled.
If it is settled, it is only in your own mind and the minds of those who agree with you. Omnipotence is at the center of both an ancient and a more modern debate about divine attributes and conceptions of god.

When one can not even settle the existence or conception of "god" how can the issue of "divine omnipotence" be settled?

For linguistic analysis, analytic philosophy and logical positivism it may be "settled" as a meaningless or nonsense question but for those interested in "speculative philosophy" or "philosophy of religion" it remains an unsettled issue.
Emil

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:18 pm
@prothero,
prothero;114436 wrote:
If it is settled, it is only in your own mind and the minds of those who agree with you. Omnipotence is at the center of both an ancient and a more modern debate about divine attributes and conceptions of god.

Yes, and then?

Quote:
When one can not even settle the existence or conception of "god" how can the issue of "divine omnipotence" be settled?

I think the god question is settled. Now what?
prothero

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:26 pm
@Emil,
Emil;114437 wrote:
Yes, and then?
I think the god question is settled. Now what?
Well I am glad it is settled for you. Obviously, however, it is not settled for many others. The "god" question or the "god hypothesis" or the "god delusion" is still central on many peoples agenda about the "existential" nature of both personal and transcendent existence.
Just for grins, what was the "settlement" universal agreement anyway?
Who agreed, when and about what?
Emil

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 12:32 pm
@prothero,
prothero;114438 wrote:
Well I am glad it is settled for you. Obviously, however, it is not settled for many others. The "god" question or the "god hypothesis" or the "god delusion" is still central on many peoples agenda about the "existential" nature of both personal and transcendent existence.

Why do you think that is relevant?

Quote:
Just for grins, what was the "settlement" universal agreement anyway?

I never said anything about universal agreement. If you are interesting in discussion, then stop your straw men attacks.
prothero

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:01 pm
@Emil,
[QUOTE=Emil;114433]Why do you think that it cannot be settled in any definitive manner? I think it is settled.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Emil;114437]I think the god question is settled. Now what?[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Emil;114440]I never said anything about universal agreement. If you are interesting in discussion, then stop your straw men attacks.[/QUOTE]
Now you said the question is settled. I am not even sure which question you regard as settled. I asked what was settled, by whom, and when. I do not see that as a straw man attack.
The god question is settled? Your assertion, please explain.
Settled in a definitive manner, what, by whom?
What does it take for a question to be "settled"?
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:31 pm
@hadad,
It was settled by Formal Logic. Please to kneel, as the tautologicians have spoken.
0 Replies

Emil

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:36 pm
@prothero,
prothero;114456 wrote:

Now you said the question is settled. I am not even sure which question you regard as settled. I asked what was settled, by whom, and when. I do not see that as a straw man attack.
The god question is settled? Your assertion, please explain.
Settled in a definitive manner, what, by whom?
What does it take for a question to be "settled"?

Meh, waste of time. Bai.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:49 pm
@hadad,
Don't look at that man behind the curtain!!!
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 03:07 am
@hadad,
In a way it is true that omni-all is impossible, if it were true then God would have to be omni-stupid and omni-weak,not so?
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:01 am
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:
Many of you believe in an omnipotent god of sorts, but I think omnipotence is impossible. There is a paradox that demonstrates why its impossible, 'can an omnipotent god make a rock so big he can't lift it".

If yes, then he definitely isn't omnipotent, because he can't lift the rock.
If no, then he isn't omnipotent, because he can't make a rock he can not lift.

Either way, there has to be something he can not do.

Some have replied to this with the following analogy:

It's like having 2 circles, and asking to draw one larger than the largest one, if you don't have the pencil to draw it with you can't draw it. that shouldn't be an issue for god, he can do anything. He can just make a bigger pencil if he has to.

Also, there is another point, which touches on the Problem of Evil. If he is omnipotent, why did he make all creation imperfect? Because he either isn't kind, loving, merciful or is evil, or is not capable of making perfect beings, and is again, not omnipotent.

I did this seperate from the "is god omnipotent" because I am just argueing whether or not Omnipotence is impossible btw
As of now mortal man has semi'ishly-achived omnipotence with all his survaliance, cams, infared detectors, sattelites ..etc.

In 1000 years we'r surely have more advanced technology, and so supposedly would higher powers.
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:53 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140476 wrote:
As of now mortal man has semi'ishly-achived omnipotence with all his survaliance, cams, infared detectors, sattelites ..etc.

In 1000 years we'r surely have more advanced technology, and so supposedly would higher powers.

I think there are reservation relating to omni potency even for God. If god could destroy himself (god forbid) then all of existence will vanish and the great nothingness will happen
HexHammer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 03:40 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;140492 wrote:
I think there are reservation relating to omni potency even for God. If god could destroy himself (god forbid) then all of existence will vanish and the great nothingness will happen
God are mysterious, and why/how would you know? ..you don't!

We continue to exist, life goes on, that's why we ate the forbidden fruit, to think for our selfs.
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 05:21 pm
@hadad,
hadad;112045 wrote:
Many of you believe in an omnipotent god of sorts, but I think omnipotence is impossible. There is a paradox that demonstrates why its impossible, 'can an omnipotent god make a rock so big he can't lift it".

If yes, then he definitely isn't omnipotent, because he can't lift the rock.

If no, then he isn't omnipotent, because he can't make a rock he can not lift.

Either way, there has to be something he can not do.

Some have replied to this with the following analogy:

It's like having 2 circles, and asking to draw one larger than the largest one, if you don't have the pencil to draw it with you can't draw it. that shouldn't be an issue for god, he can do anything. He can just make a bigger pencil if he has to.

Also, there is another point, which touches on the Problem of Evil. If he is omnipotent, why did he make all creation imperfect? Because he either isn't kind, loving, merciful or is evil, or is not capable of making perfect beings, and is again, not omnipotent.

I did this seperate from the "is god omnipotent" because I am just argueing whether or not Omnipotence is impossible btw

Had I seen this Thread before, I would have responded back before it became so long! (Thanks, Hexhammer, for bringing this to the first page again.) As it is, I am going to jump in without reading all 5 pages.

Since the debate is over the possibility of Omnipotence, I will risk repeating what has been said before: We need to have an acceptable definition of the word "Omnipotence". The definition assumed by the above argument appears to be: "Omnipotence: The ability to do absolutely anything." The definition has an assumed implication in that word "anything", which is that it means "anything that I can think of or put into words [to do]." That definition, however, is not what is meant in scripture by the word "Omnipotence."

God's omnipotence is best expressed in these words from Baha'i scripture:
"Verily God doeth whatsoever He willeth, and ordaineth whatsoever He pleaseth," and, "God sayeth 'BE' and it is."

Since God's omnipotence is defined by His will, it is not required that He jump through logical hoops for the entertainment of His detractors.

"O SON OF BEAUTY! By My spirit and by My favor! By My mercy and by My beauty! All that I have revealed unto thee with the tongue of power, and have written for thee with the pen of might, hath been in accordance with thy capacity and understanding, not with My state and the melody of My voice."
- Baha'u'llah
Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:10 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;141087 wrote:
Had I seen this Thread before, I would have responded back before it became so long! (Thanks, Hexhammer, for bringing this to the first page again.) As it is, I am going to jump in without reading all 5 pages.

Since the debate is over the possibility of Omnipotence, I will risk repeating what has been said before: We need to have an acceptable definition of the word "Omnipotence". The definition assumed by the above argument appears to be: "Omnipotence: The ability to do absolutely anything." The definition has an assumed implication in that word "anything", which is that it means "anything that I can think of or put into words [to do]." That definition, however, is not what is meant in scripture by the word "Omnipotence."

God's omnipotence is best expressed in these words from Baha'i scripture:
"Verily God doeth whatsoever He willeth, and ordaineth whatsoever He pleaseth," and, "God sayeth 'BE' and it is."

Since God's omnipotence is defined by His will, it is not required that He jump through logical hoops for the entertainment of His detractors.

"O SON OF BEAUTY! By My spirit and by My favor! By My mercy and by My beauty! All that I have revealed unto thee with the tongue of power, and have written for thee with the pen of might, hath been in accordance with thy capacity and understanding, not with My state and the melody of My voice."
- Baha'u'llah

This is how I perceive God

There is no cause to my existence I simply "was", "were" and "AM" always forever, no beginning and no end existing forever in the glory of my light. Having no Cause I therefore was the Effect and Affect and shape on everything.

Back before anything was conceived , I was "INFINITE PURE "MIND" AND "THOUGHT" These was no dark only light within my infinite domain , so I moved upon the great void of dark and said "LET THERE BE" LIGHT'

Aware of infinite potential in vast unplowed fields of nothing, I strode with great beams of Radiant Light toward the infinite horizon of eternity, sowing seeds of existence, before the timeless moment of creation.
I am the boundless Mind, Original Self-Awareness the cause of everything, relative to nothing I am "This" I am "That" I "Was" and I "Am" and I always will "Be" I am "Eternal Awareness" I am "Every Where" I know "Everything" I am "Everywhen" I am the "Ever Existing One"

On the panorama of bleak blackness," I AM" "The Absolute", sowing universal energy. Reality was my aim and the beauty of my achievement, was the "Illuminating" the darkness with beams of dazzling radiant translucent iridescent glory was the first event of reason. I formulated everything in the first thought of my Mind and knew the first numbers and called them "Zero" and "One",

With the simplicities and realities of the fundamentals of' "one, and 'zero", "I made everything". I am the Prime Mover and there was no proponent to my "First Cause". I am the "Immovable Rock" and the" Alpha point". I took these first numbers and weaved them into the fabric of the reality, creating all the limitless universes on the infinite timeless foam of nothing, which now makes all up existence. Indeed, I am the Almighty One. If you are, wise.

I am the creator of the totality of all existence known by many names and titles but you should just all refer to me by the title that can never be confused by anyone. Call me The "Almighty One".

I am mystery and all mystery is mine to reveal when I open the book of minds

I AM the Ceaseless Creator of all things

I AM LIFE

By Alan McDougall
1CellOfMany

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:35 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;141181 wrote:
This is how I perceive God

There is no cause to my existence I simply "was", "were" and "AM" always forever, no beginning and no end existing forever in the glory of my light. Having no Cause I therefore was the Effect and Affect and shape on everything.

Back before anything was conceived , I was "INFINITE PURE "MIND" AND "THOUGHT" These was no dark only light within my infinite domain , so I moved upon the great void of dark and said "LET THERE BE" LIGHT'

Aware of infinite potential in vast unplowed fields of nothing, I strode with great beams of Radiant Light toward the infinite horizon of eternity, sowing seeds of existence, before the timeless moment of creation.
I am the boundless Mind, Original Self-Awareness the cause of everything, relative to nothing I am "This" I am "That" I "Was" and I "Am" and I always will "Be" I am "Eternal Awareness" I am "Every Where" I know "Everything" I am "Everywhen" I am the "Ever Existing One"

On the panorama of bleak blackness," I AM" "The Absolute", sowing universal energy. Reality was my aim and the beauty of my achievement, was the "Illuminating" the darkness with beams of dazzling radiant translucent iridescent glory was the first event of reason. I formulated everything in the first thought of my Mind and knew the first numbers and called them "Zero" and "One",

With the simplicities and realities of the fundamentals of' "one, and 'zero", "I made everything". I am the Prime Mover and there was no proponent to my "First Cause". I am the "Immovable Rock" and the" Alpha point". I took these first numbers and weaved them into the fabric of the reality, creating all the limitless universes on the infinite timeless foam of nothing, which now makes all up existence. Indeed, I am the Almighty One. If you are, wise.

I am the creator of the totality of all existence known by many names and titles but you should just all refer to me by the title that can never be confused by anyone. Call me The "Almighty One".

I am mystery and all mystery is mine to reveal when I open the book of minds

I AM the Ceaseless Creator of all things

I AM LIFE

By Alan McDougall

That is beautifully expressed, Alan. Our thoughts are elevated when we attempt to imagine and speak of the nature of the Divine Essence, however inaccessible true understanding might be. Perhaps you will appreciate this, from "Gleanings From The Writings of Baha'u'llah (number XCIII):
Quote:
"Know thou that every created thing is a sign of the revelation of God. Each, according to its capacity, is, and will ever remain, a token of the Almighty. Inasmuch as He, the sovereign Lord of all, hath willed to reveal His sovereignty in the kingdom of names and attributes, each and every created thing hath, through the act of the Divine Will, been made a sign of His glory. So pervasive and general is this revelation that nothing whatsoever in the whole universe can be discovered that doth not reflect His splendor. Under such conditions every consideration of proximity and remoteness is obliterated.... Were the Hand of Divine power to divest of this high endowment all created things, the entire universe would become desolate and void. "
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:53 am
@hadad,
I think its an interesting paradox that not only we (As in I, the mind, etc) exist, but that we are not the makers of this reality as well. That most surely means that besides the I, there must be something else, correct?

It feels like the origin of the universe is buried under infinite paradoxes =)
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:58 am
@hadad,
Omnipotence as a divine trait, is the projection of a human desire and a human value onto ultimate reality. It is a significant theological mistake. God is not omnipotent and that notion carried to its rational conclusion makes the problem of evil intractable and the notion of human moral responsiblity and free will meaningless. It its own way it is every bit as objectionable as materialism and mechanistic determinism.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 02:11 pm
@hadad,
Omnipotence is something like money. It's power to do...."anything." (Money is social pseudo-omnipotence.) Omnipotence is also the opposite of impotence. Sex, money, and God. Another little triangle.
0 Replies