Omnipotence impossible?

William

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 01:35 pm
@hadad,
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. It is in the separation of us from that omnipotence that is causing us trouble in defining it. We are too close to it to see it. We are a part of that omnipotence as it relates to all we are. I will agree what I brought forth was a minor thing as it was meant to illustrate an omnipotent communication with out saying a word in a unity that we have in common that was displayed when my grand daughter stood vigil over her Mother. There was something in that even the child did not understand; but it was there nevertheless. Do we understand it. No, but it is recognizable when it occurs and if we slow down long enough we will observe it. Perhaps it is an omnipresence but I consider them the same.

william
Emil

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 03:14 pm
@William,
William;113307 wrote:
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. It is in the separation of us from that omnipotence that is causing us trouble in defining it. We are too close to it to see it. We are a part of that omnipotence as it relates to all we are. I will agree what I brought forth was a minor thing as it was meant to illustrate an omnipotent communication with out saying a word in a unity that we have in common that was displayed when my grand daughter stood vigil over her Mother. There was something in that even the child did not understand; but it was there nevertheless. Do we understand it. No, but it is recognizable when it occurs and if we slow down long enough we will observe it. Perhaps it is an omnipresence but I consider them the same.

william

If one examines the neodialectic paradigm of expression, one is faced with a choice: either accept predialectic patriarchial theory or conclude that truth is used to disempower the proletariat. However, a number of theories concerning the role of the writer as participant exist.
Hanfkopf[1] suggests that we have to choose between textual dematerialism and Lyotardist narrative. Thus, any number of semioticisms concerning predialectic patriarchial theory may be discovered.
The postcapitalist paradigm of narrative holds that consensus comes from the collective unconscious. Therefore, the characteristic theme of de Selby's[2] model of textual dematerialism is the bridge between language and society.

1. Hanfkopf, T. S. A. (1972) The Iron House: Textual dematerialism and the postcapitalist paradigm of narrative. Loompanics
2. de Selby, M. P. ed. (1988) The postcapitalist paradigm of narrative, posttextual rationalism and rationalism. University of Michigan Press

Zulwlqj qrqvhqvh lv ixq.
William

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 05:28 pm
@hadad,
The main theme of Tilton's analysis of textual dialectic theory is the economy, and subsequent failure, of conceptualist society. Any number of narratives concerning neomodern cultural theory exist.

However, the primary theme of the works of Eco is the bridge between reality and sexual identity. The main theme of Pickett's essay on prepatriarchialist dematerialism is not, in fact, discourse, but postdiscourse. But McElwaine holds that we have to choose between dialectic theory and prepatriarchialist dematerialism.

Debord promotes the use of neomodern cultural theory to read and attack society. It could be said that Lyotard uses the term 'textual dialectic theory' to denote the role of the observer as artist.

Therefore, Marx's critique of prepatriarchialist dematerialism implies that sexuality is capable of social comment. In The Name of the Rose, Eco analyses textual dialectic theory; in Foucault's Pendulum Eco deconstructs neomodern cultural theory.

William
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2009 10:00 pm
@hadad,
If I imagine "omnipotence," I can easily imagine a being who is potent enough to make humans whose minds are too limited to conceive of just how omnipotent this being is.

Our human logic is just that. In a way, it's comical for the human mind to call omnipotence impossible. The only limits to our conception of omnipotence are the limits of the human imagination. And true omnipotence would presumably surpass our imagination. But this too is part of our imagination?
0 Replies

manored

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:52 pm
@William,
William;113307 wrote:
But arent we speaking about the concept of omnipotence itself, and not how it applies to our world? I dont see how it would be necessary to understand the bonds between humans.

Reconstructo;113405 wrote:
If I imagine "omnipotence," I can easily imagine a being who is potent enough to make humans whose minds are too limited to conceive of just how omnipotent this being is.

Our human logic is just that. In a way, it's comical for the human mind to call omnipotence impossible. The only limits to our conception of omnipotence are the limits of the human imagination. And true omnipotence would presumably surpass our imagination. But this too is part of our imagination?
Our imagination and logic arent the same thing. An object with 15 dimensions surpasses our imagination, but is a logical possibility (We could simulate one in a computer, as far as I know, anything that can be simulated in a computer is logically possible).
Reconstructo

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
@manored,
manored;113564 wrote:

Our imagination and logic arent the same thing. An object with 15 dimensions surpasses our imagination, but is a logical possibility (We could simulate one in a computer, as far as I know, anything that can be simulated in a computer is logically possible).

I respect what you're saying, but if logic is "transcendental" as Wittgenstein has it, then logic is nothing but the structure of thought. For me, this means that that a total logic can conceive of its own transcendence. We can create words that point beyond it. We can imagine a God that created a species, man, who is incapable of accurately imagining his power. We can use logos, word, to imagine the limits of logos/logic/word.
manored

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 12:21 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113580 wrote:
I respect what you're saying, but if logic is "transcendental" as Wittgenstein has it, then logic is nothing but the structure of thought. For me, this means that that a total logic can conceive of its own transcendence. We can create words that point beyond it. We can imagine a God that created a species, man, who is incapable of accurately imagining his power. We can use logos, word, to imagine the limits of logos/logic/word.
You mean that our imagination can go beyond the limits of logic?
prothero

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:45 pm
@hadad,
Well Einstein said "imagination is more important than knowledge". I think that would go for imagination is more important than logic as well. How boring to be limited in our thinking by logic and knowledge. What of value has been created without imagination? Imagination may be our most valuable gift.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 03:07 am
@manored,
manored;113827 wrote:
You mean that our imagination can go beyond the limits of logic?

It depends on what one means by logic. If one means logic in a grand sense as the structure of logos, then no, our phrases could not go beyond this. This would be a transcendental logic. I don't think it's possible, though, for language to finish describing itself.
I tihnk our "sub-transcendental" logics are reductive, especially if they ignore trope. For me, the limits of language and the limits of logic are the same limits. Logic is logos.
"Imagination" in this case is the ability to endlessly redescribe / create meaning.
rajiraouf

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:09 am
@Emil,
Emil;113317 wrote:
If one examines the neodialectic paradigm of expression, one is faced with a choice: either accept predialectic patriarchial theory or conclude that truth is used to disempower the proletariat. However, a number of theories concerning the role of the writer as participant exist.
Hanfkopf[1] suggests that we have to choose between textual dematerialism and Lyotardist narrative. Thus, any number of semioticisms concerning predialectic patriarchial theory may be discovered.
The postcapitalist paradigm of narrative holds that consensus comes from the collective unconscious. Therefore, the characteristic theme of de Selby's[2] model of textual dematerialism is the bridge between language and society.

WHAT WAS THAT? I am not a student of philosophy, but I still fairly understood all the other replies. This one gave me the creeps.:Not-Impressed:

BTW, the original poster has fled the scene of the crime. And will be re-appearing with the thread title "Can god, the omnipotent draw a circle with corners?":shifty:
Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 04:21 am
@manored,
manored;113564 wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. The verbal imagination is logos, and therefore will conform to an ideal logic, which would just be the structure of logos.

If we can describe it, it is "logical." Of course logic is often thought of as a reduced or purified logos. In this sense, the verbal imagination is cramped by logic.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 09:50 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113969 wrote:
It depends on what one means by logic. If one means logic in a grand sense as the structure of logos, then no, our phrases could not go beyond this. This would be a transcendental logic. I don't think it's possible, though, for language to finish describing itself.
I tihnk our "sub-transcendental" logics are reductive, especially if they ignore trope. For me, the limits of language and the limits of logic are the same limits. Logic is logos.
"Imagination" in this case is the ability to endlessly redescribe / create meaning.

Reconstructo;113985 wrote:
I'm not sure I agree. The verbal imagination is logos, and therefore will conform to an ideal logic, which would just be the structure of logos.

If we can describe it, it is "logical." Of course logic is often thought of as a reduced or purified logos. In this sense, the verbal imagination is cramped by logic.
I dont quite understand what you mean here, but I think that I agree with you are saying. If I am not wrong, you mean that imagination cannot go beyond the limits of language that are also the limits of logic, and I agree.

rajiraouf;113982 wrote:
WHAT WAS THAT? I am not a student of philosophy, but I still fairly understood all the other replies. This one gave me the creeps.:Not-Impressed:

BTW, the original poster has fled the scene of the crime. And will be re-appearing with the thread title "Can god, the omnipotent draw a circle with corners?":shifty:
Yeah I didnt get that either, even if I searched the meaning of the words I dont know there would still be too many references to outside sources, and I dont wanna read all of that =)
Zetherin

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 09:56 am
@hadad,
Reconstructo wrote:
If we can describe it, it is "logical."

We can describe a contradiction, but I don't think we would call it logical. We would call it illogical.
Arjuna

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 01:43 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;114038 wrote:
We can describe a contradiction, but I don't think we would call it logical. We would call it illogical.
I was thinking Recon was using the word logical in two ways (that overlap.)

Logic is a pattern that frames content without being concerned with the specifics of the content. Language is the same kind of pattern. You can use language to say both meaningful and meaningless things.

When we use Logical as synonymous with Meaningful, we're kind of merging the pattern with the content, and simultaneously pointing to the fact that the point of saying anything is to be meaningful. And on top of that, the pattern shapes the meaning. Like:

English: I am cold.
German: I possess cold.
Russian: The cold is upon me.

They all mean the same thing, but the pattern affects the psychological stance. The pattern is the medium... using oil paint with always produce a certain kind of effect. Watercolor produces a different effect. The medium is shapes the outcome.

Recon would have to answer if he's suggesting that you can't really separate the pattern from the content as we imagine we do with specialized "logic."

But I think the standard Christian meaning of an omnipotent God is one to whom all things are possible. He/It isn't something limited by possibility. He/It is the will that creates the way. That sort of thing.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 10:41 pm
@manored,
manored;114036 wrote:
I dont quite understand what you mean here, but I think that I agree with you are saying. If I am not wrong, you mean that imagination cannot go beyond the limits of language that are also the limits of logic, and I agree.

Yes, that's what I meant, and I'm glad you can relate to it. Too many think that the net of formal logic has caught butterfly logos.

---------- Post added 12-24-2009 at 11:43 PM ----------

manored;114036 wrote:

Yeah I didnt get that either, even if I searched the meaning of the words I dont know there would still be too many references to outside sources, and I dont wanna read all of that =)

Yeah, the quote you are describing was terrible. Seems to have come from the dark side of Continental philosophy. It reeks of intellectual incest, by which I mean an intentionally exclusive jargon.

---------- Post added 12-25-2009 at 12:00 AM ----------

Arjuna;114066 wrote:

Recon would have to answer if he's suggesting that you can't really separate the pattern from the content as we imagine we do with specialized "logic."

But I think the standard Christian meaning of an omnipotent God is one to whom all things are possible. He/It isn't something limited by possibility. He/It is the will that creates the way. That sort of thing.

What I'm saying is along those lines. Limited Logics tend to treat word as if it's number, but word is rarely like number. I think language evolves metaphorically, and that metaphor is at the heart of human communication. Sure, we can squeeze out little pseudo-mathematical systems that are useful in some ways, but these systems always avoid the most important part: trope/metaphor/analogy.

If language is a nexus of metaphors, then only more metaphors can be used to describe it. Most of the words in that last sentence are dead metaphors. Etymology reveals the evolution of language.

"omni - potent" is just two words on a screen. The reader is free to interpret/debate what these symbols imply. There is no math-like precise meaning to the terms. It's "undecidable." (Derrida likes that word.)

Since I can imagine a god potent enough to create human brains that cannot understand him, intentionally, I consider omnipotence logically possible.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 11:02 pm
@hadad,
Arjuna wrote:
When we use Logical as synonymous with Meaningful

I've never heard of such a thing. Is there someone notable that uses the word "logical" in this manner? Excuse my possible ignorance.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 11:10 pm
@hadad,
Perhaps Arjuna was referring to something like this.

Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus was a text of great importance for the positivists. The Tractatus introduced many doctrines which later influenced logical positivism, including the conception of philosophy as a "critique of language," and the possibility of drawing a theoretically principled distinction between intelligible and nonsensical discourse.
ACB

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 03:44 pm
@rajiraouf,
rajiraouf;113982 wrote:

Emil's post that you are referring to (#42) is a parody of continental philosophy, and deliberately nonsensical. He refers in another thread to a computer program that generates this kind of verbiage automatically.
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:20 pm
@hadad,
It sounded intelligent though, huh? Ha!

William
kennethamy

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 04:26 pm
@William,
William;114246 wrote:
It sounded intelligent though, huh? Ha!

William

Yes. If you have a certain idea of philosophy, you might very well think so.

Sokal's Hoax