meaning is God.

Fido

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:31 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
But after all is said and done, regardless of what the mind thinks, that unknown aspect of creation that eludes the greatest minds, still holds the key to the meaning of life and its truth concerning how that affects us as humans.

Isn't it better for the unknown to remain unknown if honestly it is unknowable??? We have a beautiful question: who are we and how did all this come about... Isn't a beautiful and unanswerable question better than a poor answer that is all fib and no fact???
Khethil

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 06:04 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
... Isn't a beautiful and unanswerable question better than a poor answer that is all fib and no fact???

Very well put. We can postulate, hypothesize, theorize, look for clues and get lots of maybe's, but something so far disconnected, so iffy, so spurious and unverifiable falls into the "better to admit ignorance than grab onto anything just to grab"-category for me.

Pathfinder wrote:
But after all is said and done, regardless of what the mind thinks, that unknown aspect of creation that eludes the greatest minds, still holds the key to the meaning of life and its truth concerning how that affects us as humans.

This; however, is interesting. Your beliefs are your own, well entitled to and respected. That being said, in my humble opinion saying that the "key to the meaning of life" is contingent on that "unknown aspect of creation" is dangerous personal & emotional ground. With so much else available to us, in this life and our collective existence, why would you place all your 'eggs' into this basket?

In either case, good luck!
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 08:09 am
@Ola,
we are obviously having a little interpretation problem here Zetherin.

I am not writing these responses the way you are taking them, please do not take anything I post as sarcastic or condemning because they are not meant that way. I will crack a sarcastic joke once in a while but it will be obvious when I do.

The reason I say continue to support has nothing to do with any amount of posts , it just means that I noticed that you seem to support a particular conclusion. Wording it that way probably did sound condemning I guess.

It seemed that within your posts there was certain references to man creating problems whenever they try to relate to the universe by acknowledging some sort of a creator. I would go back and cut and paste to show why I see this, but lets just move on . If that is not the case I have obviously misunderstood you.

First of all, I am not sure than that I understand what you mean when you say existence does not necessitate creationism.

I take that to mean that you believe that just because something exists does not mean that it had to be created. is that correct? The old 'JUST THE WAY IT IS' philosophy?

Now to your question of me.

To my thinking logic would suggest that if something exists it had to come from somewhere in the first place. That 'somewhere' is what this whole discussion is about. Some suppose that things just appear from out of nowhere, for instance the big bang, life, etc., and I suggest that things do not simply appear from nothingness. Where there is nothing, nothing will remain.

So than, if something was the first of its kind to appear, and it could not have come from nothing, than what was there before it, what spawned it into being, and what does that say about infinity and eternity.

It is a complex dilemma that only further proves that there must be some intelligent force behind it all. There is nothing accidental about this creation in any way whatsoever to my logic.

What are the answers? That is another dilemma. Why do we need to have the answers? And why does it sound as though some of you are suggesting that if we cannot come up with the answer that this proves that our logic must therefore be wrong? Trying to come up with the answers is what created the whole religious attitude of this entire planet. The answers may not be forthcoming, but that does not mean that the answer is not there.

Existence is a reality. I am, therefore I exist. Therefore there is an answer to how I got here. My existence does not depend on whether or not any mind can solve the answer as to where I came from, or where the universe came from. I and the universe will continue to exist despite the ignorance of mankind. So those who propose that unless science can prove a thing that it is not worthy of supposition, are simply not looking at the world around them with an open mind, because here I am, existing, and despite their inability to prove why.

Now, what I have been proposing is that because our existence suggests that it comes from something instead of nothing, than that 'something' is the Force behind it all. I hope that answers your question Zeth. I cannot logically even begin to entertain the thought of nothingness, or existence just appearing from out of nothingness, or that it simply just always existed. Eternity and infinity is beyond my ability to conceive. What exists must have come from somewhere or something. And the fact that this thinking always brings us to the paradox of what came first, than I must conclude that there is some mysterious, unnatural, incomprehensible Force responsible for all of this. It cannot be defined, and cannot be restricted to the dynamics of the laws of physics that man has written. What man understands is a minuscule portion of reality.

In one of your posts in that other thread you said something about 'other universes'. Why do you suppose that there must be other boxes containing the box we are in? Why does your mind look at the universe as one of many, or as a part of something else, when you emphatically try to avoid the possibility of a 'something else', the 'external' as you call it?

On the one hand you seem to deny an external, but on the other hand you suggest that everything has an external that it resides in, another universe. I see the universe as one entity that holds everything that exists. There are no more universes other than the one that comprises existence. Whatever exists resides within this universe. That is very different than mapping galaxies and solar systems. These are all a part of existence. We live on a planet within one of them. The universe however contains them all.

But what is the universe? What is that black space that holds everything? We know what the sea is that holds the whale. We know what the dirt is that holds the tree. We even know what the solar system is that holds the planet.

But as the painter touches his brush to the canvas, where seconds before there was nothing, so also does this Force paint the canvas of the universe.

Below is the way that man will need to conform their thought process if they are ever really to understand the meaning of life and the reality of existence:
"What Force is responsible for the canvas in the first place?"

Instead of trying to determine what the canvas is, and the material aspects of it, we should be asking ourselves how this canvas can come from nowhere and nothing, when we know that something cannot come from nothing. The absurdity of it all demands a different approach than science or religion! We must stop looking at the stars and look instead at the black canvas they are painted on. There is where we will find the answer.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 04:04 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
I take that to mean that you believe that just because something exists does not mean that it had to be created. is that correct? The old 'JUST THE WAY IT IS' philosophy?

I wonder why it is so old..

Quote:
It is a complex dilemma that only further proves that there must be some intelligent force behind it all. There is nothing accidental about this creation in any way whatsoever to my logic.

The existance of a dilemma does not prove anything. Moreover, several people here don't even recognize that there is such a dilemma, re ultimate causality.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:43 am
@Ola,
Where I come from, the sience claims our purpose are to reproduce and serve and protect our family.

And excatly where does god come into this picture, my rock in my backyard says your wrong.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 04:05 pm
@Ola,
Ola wrote:
There is only meaning if there is a God.
Philosophers and scientists have no answer to the meaning of life.
But if there is one (God) he/she/it does know.
And therefore just the possibility of a God outweighs anything humans can come up with. (You are at a junction. You can take a road that goes nowhere or an unknown one. The logical choice is the unknown road.)

But who knows what God (is)?

Philosophers don't have an answer to the meaning of life, huh? No offense, but this sounds like a statement from someone who doesn't know much philosophy. I'm sure that you've heard of the philosophical sub-field of ethics, correct? Well that's how humans assign value and purpose to their lives. Using God to assign a purpose or intent to our situational and circumstantial universe is just lazy and timid.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 04:09 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Philosophers don't have an answer to the meaning of life, huh? No offense, but this sounds like a statement from someone who doesn't know much philosophy. I'm sure that you've heard of the philosophical sub-field of ethics, correct? Well that's how humans assign value and purpose to their lives. Using God to assign a purpose or intent to our situational and circumstantial universe is just lazy and timid.

And besides ethical philosophy, a philosopher could contemplate the notion, "We create our own meaning". This is an answer to the meaning of life; we are the *gods*.

It's all perspective, thought, feeling. Don't expect any "ultimate answers", we are the ones that have the power to create meaning from an otherwise meaningless world.
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 04:46 pm
@Ola,
And so the hoe in the gardener's hand attempts to tell the flowers that it alone must be responsible for their existence, because there is no way to identify the gardener.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 04:52 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
And so the hoe in the gardener's hand attempts to tell the flowers that it alone must be responsible for their existence, because there is no way to identify the gardener.

How do you know the hoe is in the gardener's hand - how do you know there's a gardener?

I suppose we're going right back to where we left off. I read your post, and will respond to this:

Pathfinder wrote:

That is correct, that is what I believe. We go back to the question: Why must "created" come into the mix? Must all of existence be created? If so, why?

Please elaborate on your canvas notion, as I didn't quite understand. How are we to "look at the black canvas"? And also, just as you noted about yourself, please don't take my posts as sarcastic or condescending either, I'm genuinely curious.
Pathfinder

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:35 pm
@Zetherin,
I am aware of your sincerity Zeth.

But aren't you just being semantic here? What would you like to use to define the existence of a thing if you do not want to use the term created? I can continue the converstaion as soon as you can decide on a word that we can use to discuss the topic.

The black canvas I spoke of is what most people are referring to when they speak of space, or the universe.

Its the backdrop for the stars we see at night and most people pay it no mind as though it is not as important as the stars that they actually see. Its no different than reading a book and not paying any heed to the white page the words are written on. The page leaf is as real as the typing that is on it. In comparison the black space is as real as the stars that are in it. Similarly, we can wave our hands through the air and suppose that air is not a tangible thing being invisble and untouchable. But it is a composition of physical properties is it not. So when we reach our hands into space to reach for the stars what is this space that we wave our hands through that most people refer to as the universe?

I believe the comment in the post was in reference to the fact that there seems to be an infinite box inside a box when it comes to trying to comprehend the universe.
BrightNoon

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 07:34 pm
@Pathfinder,
Let me try a question. What in the world has ever been created? A house, a chicken, a rock, a lightbulb, a cloud, etc. Let's take one example: a cloud. We can all agree that clouds are created when water vapour condenses in the atmosphere. Do you mean creation in that sense, when you talk about creation of the universe? If so, I would say that you are applying a concept that is inappripriate for that application. The creation of a cloud is not the creation of something from nothing; it is only the transformation of something into something else. That's not what you mean is it, when you say 'creation of the universe?' If so, then its not really the creation of the universe, its the transformation of an earlier universe into the present universe, which leaves us where we started vis a vis causality, dosen't it? All other examples of 'creation,' all contexts in which that word is used, also refer to transformations, not the creation of something from nothing. Therefore, I propose that the phrase 'creation of the universe' or anything similiar (beginning of..., start of...) means nothing. It is like saying 'the drinking of the green.' It means nothing; it is the application of a word, which has meaning in some context, in a context where it does not. Therefore, as we cannot define what 'creation of the universe' even means, and as we know of no events in which nothing gave birth to something, isn't the rational conclusion, pending further evidence, that the universe exists, has always existed, and will always exist, in eternal flux and transformation?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2009 08:42 pm
@Ola,
Creation is a nice thought if you are looking for a universal order...It is possible that framing the world in terms of laws is not the correct way to go about things.. I guess we just need to frame our understanding in some fashion to give us the sense that we really understand more than we do....What works for me is to say that is how it appears to work here, on earth, or as far as the eye can see... I don't need to know everything to know enough, so if I have cause and effect here, I really do not need cause and effect there...Perhaps the universe has no limits, but my knowledge does...
Khethil

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:23 am
@Fido,
We love this topic, don't we. Yet despite how many times we go round and round on it, it always seems to come back to the same conclusion...

• If you believe in a god and in so doing derive 'meaning' from that belief, you've created your own meaning.

• If you believe life was purposefully created and gain 'meaning' from this, by the import you give this possibility, you've created your own meaning.

• If you don't believe in a god and subconsciously derive 'meaning' from other aspects in your life, you've created your own meaning.

• If you don't believe in a god and consciously derive your own 'meaning' from other aspects of life, through the selection of these aspects and relative worth you give, you've created your own meaning.

• If you don't believe there is meaning, you've created your own valuation or lack of emphasis on any meaning.

• If god came down and told you your 'meaning', the weight you give to what you've been told (or her presence) would determine its worth; in this case too you create your own meaning.

No matter how you slice it, each one of us creates their own lack or existence of 'meaning' in our own minds. Given this, I find it utterly baffling why one wouldn't want to: (a) Admit this -and- (b) Use one's own will to consciously determine any meaning rather than let it slip and slide with lingering mystic possibilities.

Thanks
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:09 am
@Ola,
I think you miss the meaning of meaning... We do not grasp reality directly, but grasp all with a sense of meaning...We mights say: What is; but we almost always mean: What is the meaning of...So all being is meaning to us, and we communicate by sharing meaning...As far as creating our own.... We cannot avoid the subjective quality of meaning, and yet we do receive much of meaning culturally, and unconsciously long before we can begin to reason on the basis of meanings.. If there were a God, we have to ask what ability would we have to grasp such an infinite... If you dig, you find that to all people, God is only a certain select meaning called God...
Khethil

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 05:31 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
I think you miss the meaning of meaning... We do not grasp reality directly, but grasp all with a sense of meaning...We mights say: What is; but we almost always mean: What is the meaning of...So all being is meaning to us, and we communicate by sharing meaning...As far as creating our own.... We cannot avoid the subjective quality of meaning, and yet we do receive much of meaning culturally, and unconsciously long before we can begin to reason on the basis of meanings..

Of course - it strikes as completely self-evident; it jives perfectly with the self-constructed ideal. It is all subjective and no, not completely within our conscious control. It is; however, still within ourselves and can't be 'given' to use externally, whether by the values we attribute or through the ideals we've inculcated, its answer (or lack thereof) is within our own minds.

Fido wrote:
If there were a God, we have to ask what ability would we have to grasp such an infinite... If you dig, you find that to all people, God is only a certain select meaning called God...

Your conception of 'god' sounds like it has the qualities of being (or having to do with the) 'infinite' as well as something we can't grasp. I find this interesting (I very much like hearing folks' individual conceptions of god). Suppose we assume this to be the case (there is a god and he/she/it is infinite and therefore beyond our grasp), it would only have as much to do with 'meaning' as someone's mind decided it to be...

... bringing us back, again, to something that is self-defined either directly or indirectly.

Neat, thanks
0 Replies

validity

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:18 pm
@Ola,
When you think you have the answer, challenge it.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:41 pm
@Ola,
When you think you have the answer, ask it...
0 Replies

validity

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:00 pm
@Ola,
When you think you have an answer, archive it...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 06:48 pm
@Ola,
When you think, you have the answer.
validity

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 02:53 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
When you think, you have the answer.
:a-ok: nice...

An answer is a pause in thinking.