meaning is God.

Aedes

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:33 am
@boagie,
Pathfinder wrote:
You speak of the delimiting, you speak of the cellular degeneration, you speak of reaction, and every other thing regarding the function of the organism AFTER it has been endowed with that life giving force
If we're talking biology and medicine, then "endowment with life giving force" is a statement that has zero meaning at all. If we're talking metaphysical pontification, then fine, but that's beyond the scope of how we understand diseases in biology and medicine.

boagie wrote:
These genetic errors you spoke of, does anyone know what caused the error?
Some things that are intrinsic, like proofreading errors (p53 mutation is the most famous), or translocations that occur during cell division (like the famous Philadelphia chromosome that is found in chronic myelogenous leukemia). Some are extrinsic, like thymine dimers caused by UV exposure.

boagie wrote:
Sorry not sure what you mean here by delimit any human, by intrinsic biological characteristics. Do you mean by intrinsic that it is natural and a healthy element? By delimit, do you mean limit size, body hair ect,,.Delimit does not sound like disease.
Disease risk is greatly modified by one's biology. People in Africa have much more skin pigment, and despite high exposure to direct sunlight they have a much lower risk of malignant melanoma. There are a set of genes called the HLA (human leukocyte antigens, otherwise known as MHC, the major histocompatibility complex), that directly affect how certain cells present foreign antigens to T cells. One's HLA repertoire can determine susceptibility or resistance to various infections.

You might call these phenomena a result of natural selection produced by extrinsic factors, because all genetic exchange in this history of life on earth requires one organism finding another. Thus you could rationally say that even basic genetics is under the influence of external forces. But I think that's different than the contention that health and disease are purely reactive phenomena.
boagie

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 03:13 pm
@Aedes,
"You might call these phenomena a result of natural selection produced by extrinsic factors, because all genetic exchange in this history of life on earth requires one organism finding another. Thus you could rationally say that even basic genetics is under the influence of external forces. But I think that's different than the contention that health and disease are purely reactive phenomena."

Aedes,Smile

I don't know that it is different from the reactive contention, all systems are open systems, we have our life as a relational entity, perhaps if an organsim could be a closed system, then its health would be independent of its context/environment, its openess is of necessity, and it is a strength as well as a weakness, openess means it cannot quite be defined as one totality. Thanks again Aedes, I shall read again your posts on the topic.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:43 pm
@Ola,
Nothing in the universe is an absolute closed system. But in relative terms and certainly in medical terms, we think of the human body as having some autonomous definition and activity, but also with a variety of external interactions (sensory, physical, microbial, nutritional, social, etc).
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:01 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
You know, I always listen with great amazement as people talk about things as though they are speaking in great depth and really getting to the nitty gritty of a matter, when in fact they are actually simply talking all around the real truth of what they are trying to dissect.

Here you are breaking down biological function to its genetic levels trying to come up with answers that appeal to your way of thinking, and yet when asked to go deeper to the chicken and the egg you will not do it.

However if you are going to go to the molecular level of biology you cannot do so without going all the way to the actual second that the life of this biological organism as you call it began.

You speak of the delimiting, you speak of the cellular degeneration, you speak of reaction, and every other thing regarding the function of the organism AFTER it has been endowed with that life giving force, yet you will not entertain where that spark of life came from in the first place that even started the engine.

Its like trying to study the dynamics of a running engine from the exterior of it, and not being able to figure out the actual internal combustion aspect of it because you dont know what causes the spark, and never bothering to look inside you continue to study the thing as though you are intensely aware of its every aspect.

I think its time to really get in there if you really want to know what makes the frog work Boagie. Maybe instead of trying to figure out why its dying, you should try to figure what brought it to life in the first place to begin all these reactions that you are talking about.

Take the dissected frog off of the table and lets look at a lifeless frog embryo and wait for it to be sparked to life and study that process. I am certain that anyone that works with cloning is always amazed at that instantaneous instilling of life that takes place when they do nothing other than an insemination with a dropper.

And I also think that many of them think that THEY are actually the ones that create an entire sheep with nothing more than the tip of a needle, how great they are. They should be careful where they poke that awesome power of theirs.

For that lifeless form on the biology dissection table life has absolutely no meaning whatsoever, and yet the split fraction of a second that it becomes endowed with life from some force that no biologist can understand or define, that frog's life suddenly has great meaning.

While it lives a biologist can study all of those reactions to stimuli and think they have it all figured out as long as nobody asks them the unanswerable question, but as soon as the frog is dead, they poke and prod at it to find out what killed it looking for a physical failure of some organ function, and overlook completely that for some reason that actual spark of life is also missing. Why is that? Why does an organism have to die just because something stops working? An embryo was alive without all of these developed organs. A cell lives without a brain or a liver as it begins to mulitply into a human. But for some reason when the human dies because of a stroke the biologist stops looking for that lost life at the brain.

When a car runs out of gas, the biologist would concur than that the essence of that car must have only been a gas tank?

Just my highly enlightened thought process, which is actually probably nothing more than a few electrons firing off here and there, of course nowhere near the fireworks display going off in your heads! lol :whistling:

Devastatingly Delighted,
Pathfinder

Gasoline is essential to one part of the car...Presumably the horn still works...It is conceived of as a manifold; a system, and like all systems it is not one thing but many, each having its own essential qualities...
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:08 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
Here you are breaking down biological function to its genetic levels trying to come up with answers that appeal to your way of thinking, and yet when asked to go deeper to the chicken and the egg you will not do it.

However if you are going to go to the molecular level of biology you cannot do so without going all the way to the actual second that the life of this biological organism as you call it began.

Let's solve this once and for all. Chickens cannot come into existance except in eggs, as little chickens. Where did this egg come from? ...from a creature virtually identical to a chicken, but not a chicken. Evolution.

'Life' is not a magical property; it is only mysterious to the extent that the specifics of any given set of microscopic systems of chemical-electrical-physical reactions (an organism) are not known. Moreover, 'life; has been defined arbitrarily, in relation to what is most like us. A 'living' amoeba and a 'dead' amoeba look pretty similiar; its a matter of reactivity (sensitivity to stimuli) and of degree.
Pathfinder

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:37 pm
@Ola,
A dead anything looks like a live one if it hasn't been mangled. What's your point.

Bright Noon you have dome what theologians and philosophers have not been able to do after a thousand years of study.

God is a creature similar to some kind of chicken.
Fido

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:53 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Let's solve this once and for all. Chickens cannot come into existance except in eggs, as little chickens. Where did this egg come from? ...from a creature virtually identical to a chicken, but not a chicken. Evolution.

'Life' is not a magical property; it is only mysterious to the extent that the specifics of any given set of microscopic systems of chemical-electrical-physical reactions (an organism) are not known. Moreover, 'life; has been defined arbitrarily, in relation to what is most like us. A 'living' amoeba and a 'dead' amoeba look pretty similiar; its a matter of reactivity (sensitivity to stimuli) and of degree.

If life is not a magical property there is no such thing as magic... All life is a continuous chain back to the first life... There was no single weak point... Every point was weak, and now we are the weak point of life; and you can see how it is, how often the intelligent are too intelligent to breed, and the ignorant all too ready, and everyone in between going about destroying the social fabric which should support and nurture life...People throw away the key out of ignorance of its use and then must continually guard their door...
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:34 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
A dead anything looks like a live one if it hasn't been mangled. What's your point.

Bright Noon you have dome what theologians and philosophers have not been able to do after a thousand years of study.

God is a creature similar to some kind of chicken.

(1) My point is that the 'life force' is nothing but the functioning of a system, while the absence of the 'life force' is the non-functioning of a system: i.e. that same system, but with some essential component missing, such as too much sodium, too hot for DNA replication, etc.

(2) I never said God is a creature similiar to some kind of chicken. You mentioned 'the chicken and egg,' so I assumed you were asking how that works in re to evolution. I told you how the first chicken came into being, nothing about God. God's a much more recent development.

Fido,
That's my point. Magic is a meaningless term, because it refers to 'what cannot be.' Life is excellent in my opinion, just not magical, unless everything is magical, and then, again, the term means nothing. Its like 'he Truth,' just a word; nothing corresponds to it; it is imaginary, indefinable, meaningless.
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
@Ola,
Bright Noon,

you said "'life force' is nothing but the functioning of a system"

How did the system begin functioning without first the life forceZ?
BrightNoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 10:33 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder, the 'life force' is the name for the functioning of the system. What your asking is like, "How does the fire burn without first having begun burning. Obviously, the system had to start being what it is at some point (or in your terminology, the life force had to enter it at some point). In almost all cases, the system which we call a living organism become what it is due to the activities of a preceding living organism via reproduction. In the first instance of life, or the first several if there were multiple independent events, a very simple organism formed from the reaction of various organic compounds, which incidentally met each other in the earth's ancient ocean under the neccesary conditions. And of course those organic compounds formed likewise because of certain conditions on the ancient earth. Given the propoer ingredients (carbon, water, etc) and enough time, molecular structures needed for the formation of life form naturally. This 'primordial stew' concept has been demonstated in experiments; of course, as scientists can't wait a billion years, the reactions were accelerated.
Fido

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:16 am
@Ola,
Brightnoon: Magic is hardly a meaningless term, and will not be so long as there are causes beyond our explanation... Outside of our understanding, all is God, all is belief, and all is magic...
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:29 am
@Ola,
Probably the best privilege we have, individually, is to choose our own meaning in life. I can't impose mine on others; nor convince them. We can share notions; kick 'em around and see what comes out. To feel impugned or insulted that someone doesn't share my notion of meaning is self-defeating. It's ok to have vastly-divergent views; not only that, it's inevitable.
Pathfinder

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:29 am
@BrightNoon,
Bright noon,

Same old attempt at evasion.

What you call a primitive first organism is actually higly complex life form already bearing that spark of life. How else could it reprodeuce in the first place.

Your primordil stew is just a poor attempt at distraction of the facts.

The facts are that somewhere back in the origin of life and continuing today, there was/is something that grants life to living things. Which are dead without that life force.

Biologists use the excuse that it is simply a reactionary continuation of what has happened since this primordial stew, OR that it just IS and always has been some sort of transfeerrance of already existing life.

Ridiulous.

Everything has a beginning.

No mattter what you want to use to represent your first organism, amoeba, molecule, space dust, electron, quark, whatever, it had to be created from something and have life given to it from somewhere.

That is simply logic.

What has life now, was given life from somewhere else, and wherevr that first life came from is the question.

Klethil,

what if the meaning of one's life is to murder innocent chiuldren in order to reduce the population problems?

Extreme example but it happens in places like Brazil everyday.

The meaning of life takes on a very dramatic role in the character of humanity as a whole.
Khethil

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:36 am
@Khethil,
Hi Pathfinder,

Pathfinder wrote:
what if the meaning of one's life is to murder innocent chiuldren in order to reduce the population problems?

To say, or acknowledge, that defining one's own meaning is a privilege is distinctly different than saying that anything someone defines is 'good'.

Thank you
0 Replies

Pathfinder

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:42 am
@Ola,
agreed that it is a privelege.

It is also a dilemma that humanity faces as it evolves which makes it a priority worth understanding.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:05 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
Bright noon,

Same old attempt at evasion.

What you call a primitive first organism is actually higly complex life form already bearing that spark of life. How else could it reprodeuce in the first place.

Your primordil stew is just a poor attempt at distraction of the facts.

The facts are that somewhere back in the origin of life and continuing today, there was/is something that grants life to living things. Which are dead without that life force.

Biologists use the excuse that it is simply a reactionary continuation of what has happened since this primordial stew, OR that it just IS and always has been some sort of transfeerrance of already existing life.

Ridiulous.

Everything has a beginning.

No mattter what you want to use to represent your first organism, amoeba, molecule, space dust, electron, quark, whatever, it had to be created from something and have life given to it from somewhere.

That is simply logic.

What has life now, was given life from somewhere else, and wherevr that first life came from is the question.

You obviously have faith that 'something' created the universe and life, so there's no point bashing my head against a wall; as Kierkegaard said, "faith begins precisely where thought stops." I just want to address that last point of yours, which i've underlined.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you seem to be talking about not the origin of biological life only, but of the universe as a whole, yes? Why is it logical to assume that something caused existent things to come into existance? It is uneccesary to assume that nothing preceeded something and therefore that some being had to cause things to come into existance. Why can't things have always just existed? Why does the universe have to 'start' somewhere? As we know nothing but existance, isn't it illogical to assume that there was once non-existance? That 'things have to have a beginning' is an anthropocentric concept. Just because TV shows begin, days begin, and seasons begin, the universe as a whole dosen't have to begin. The 'beginning' we experience isn't creation from nothing, but rather transformation: i.e. a certain form that we recognize changes into another form. The most reasonable assumption is that the universe always existed, does exist and always will exist, as a changing system.
Pathfinder

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 08:09 pm
@BrightNoon,
Assuming the logical is not the same as having faith in something.

And it is just not logical to assume that something just IS.

That in my thinking is as much blind faith as what you are proposing for those who assume that something must have began it all in the first place.
0 Replies

Ola

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:36 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
My two cents is worth about a penny.

But I have to ask exactly what the author of the thread meant by 'meaning'.

If they meant to address what the goal of living this life should be than I am a staunt proponent of harmonious community. I thoroughly believe that before the human will ever evolve into any improvement they must first learn how to cohabitate.

IMHO, meaning would then be to create in you the person that you would think would be someone that you would want to live with. Too many of us live life as though we are the focus and improvement has to do with enhancing our lives, when in reality that would be a great goal if we were the only ones on the planet.

But when we live side by side with 6 billion other people we have to realize that we are more than individuals, we are humanity as well.

So meaning should take that into consdiration before we place ourselves above everything else.

Well, I think that in this thread it's about value/point.
If we know that the universe is dying, turning into dark cold matter, then what actions would/could matter? In the end everything is pointless. If there is a God, then death is nothing to worry about. Our existence would have meaning. (?)

If a hurricane is coming your way and you knew about it, you wouldn't start building yourself a house before it hit.
If there is only darkness/nothing after death, what meaning does life really have?

If you ask me if I eat when I'm hungry then I'd say yes.
But what meaning does eating really have when I'm going to die anyways and there is nothing after death?
Saying that eating has value is a subjective opinion.

If truth be told: What has meaning? (in the end)
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:48 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder wrote:
With all the biology and physiology I've studied in my life, no one has ever mentioned the existence of a "life force".

For something to be alive requires that it be self-contained, have mechanisms for homeostasis, metabolism, and reproduction. That's all mechanistic, and it's in a way the sum of its parts. A "life force"? How do you measure that?
Pathfinder

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:29 am
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
With all the biology and physiology I've studied in my life, no one has ever mentioned the existence of a "life force".

For something to be alive requires that it be self-contained, have mechanisms for homeostasis, metabolism, and reproduction. That's all mechanistic, and it's in a way the sum of its parts. A "life force"? How do you measure that?

And why does that surprise you? What makes you think you would see any references to the origin of life and creatioon in a biology text book?

For something to be alive it requires life to enter it from somewhere. All the scientific things you are talking about are all secondary to the initiak spark of life.

Ola wrote:
Well, I think that in this thread it's about value/point.
If we know that the universe is dying, turning into dark cold matter, then what actions would/could matter? In the end everything is pointless. If there is a God, then death is nothing to worry about. Our existence would have meaning. (?)

If a hurricane is coming your way and you knew about it, you wouldn't start building yourself a house before it hit.
If there is only darkness/nothing after death, what meaning does life really have?

If you ask me if I eat when I'm hungry then I'd say yes.
But what meaning does eating really have when I'm going to die anyways and there is nothing after death?
Saying that eating has value is a subjective opinion.

If truth be told: What has meaning? (in the end)

The meaning is found in the character that a person develops as they face these challenges you point out.

We can live as though life has no meaning and concern ourselves with nothing because life is meaningless to us, or we can choose to buiold our character and identity with integrity as though it does matter who and what we are and live our life as though it is full of meaning.

It is the difference between living as caterpillar unfilled, or as the butterfly which experiences the great metamorphosis of creation.