ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:12 am
I used to live in Venice, for decades. Fealola lives in the greater LA area. I now live in north north California. WY lives even norther, now.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:14 am
And we're all still up. And the teamsters are not delivering so we'll have to be creative to get our garlic.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:16 am
garlic tears...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:16 am
Wah. Its more fun to go to the Korean Market, anyway!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:18 am
Up! I have a day off tomorrow and AM NOT COOKING.
My big hope is to get the sanding crud off of the shelves in the guest room, but ne'er mind. Maybe the Pacc and I will go for a bit of a walk. Wary about walking him as he has bone chips floating about in his right shoulder.

But perhaps a small tour down the street...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 12:30 am
Korean market! I haven't been to a korean market (as opposed to liquorstoremarkets owned by Koreans.) Have spent some time at the Vietnamese market in chinatown (LA). Not to carp. I remember a while ago, the rather chubby korean guy weirdly jogging by the Venice pier around the same time J and I were. He jogged funny, frankly, lumbering side to side, one leg to the other, almost like a marionette re movement. (not that I was a picture of form.) Over time he became thin and muscular, and I guess didn't jog funny any more. I dunno, we stopped. One day I went in to his Marina store and we caught up - he talked about his daughter, just admitted to Stanford... Nobody on earth has worked more hours than him, I am so happy for him and his wife, who also worked the store, and, of course, the daughter.

S'cuse, off of potatoes, and now

back to potatoes...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 01:20 am
potatoes... it's too late now, to say how to do mashed potatoes ahead, so I will just say, cold boiled potatoes are wonderful things, with lots of salt...
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 10:29 am
Well, since I started all of this I'm reporting in. I peeled the potatoes the day before about 15 of them, kept them in a steel pot and on Thanksgiving day cut them up and cooked them in the morning. I put them through a ricer added warm milk, butter, salt and pepper, stirred them up and let them cool. Then I stored them in the refridgerator. We ate around five, and about an hour ahead, I covered them with aluminum foil and put them in the oven (350ish). I stirred occasionally to distribute the heat. They were light and fluffy and tasted fresh. There were raves on the mashed potatoes, so, yes! It can be done!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 11:10 am
Quote:
potatoes... it's too late now, to say how to do mashed potatoes ahead, so I will just say, cold boiled potatoes are wonderful things, with lots of salt...

Hmm. That's how I like my baked taters. Peel the top of the foil away, sprinkle salt, take bite, repeat.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 09:05 pm
I've had a strange last three days. Hardly anything to eat or drink on Tuesday, dinner of potato chips, don't get me started, and nothing today until about three, but yesterday, two of the best meals in years. Back with data.

Okay, back to potatoes, glad they were scrumptious. That should all work fine if they were good freshies to start with.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:35 am
My brother made some mashed potatoes with garlic in them a few days ago, I tried a bit, and for the first time I can remember, I told him that next time he makes it I'll have a bit.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:55 am
You can hardly go wrong with taters and garlic... unless, of course, you put too little butter in! Smile

g'night, all.
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 07:47 pm
Re: MASHED POTATOES-Question
fealola wrote:
Can I make mashed potatoes ahead of time and still have them tasting good and with good texture. If it's possible, what's the best method?

Simply immerse them in ketchup.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:25 pm
Ugg, patri!

I had some young cousins who stayed with us for a school year. They wanted ketchup on everything -- including mashed potatoes... then they'd stir, until they had this little pink pile on their plate. It just looked WRONG...
0 Replies

PatriUgg

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:36 pm
But it tastes so right! :-)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:42 pm
If you say so...

I was in an Oriental supermarket last night and saw a sauce called ketjap. It was definately Oriental, not just a different way to spell catsup. Anybody had it? liked it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:04 pm
mashed potatoes

still the best

http://yves.marsal.free.fr/atoutgifs/person/yper_panthere_rose03.gif
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:19 am
Potatoes...the best food in the world! Early memories of Sunday afternoons with my father preparing mashed potatoes and handing me slices of raw potatoes...I was hooked on potatoes from that day forward.

Mmm...baked, mashed, fried, in soup, cooked or raw, on their own with and without cheese, with and without anything...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:32 am
we experimented with a little wasabi with the butter and garlic. Its good, but remeber to mix up the wasabi and let it come to strength, dont just put the powder in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:19 am
Made some last night - which brought this thread to mind.

Boiled up some halved Yukon Gold taters in the skin.
Mashed 'em up, in the skin.
Added a bit of light cream, cream cheese, sweet butter and roasted garlic.
Ended up kinda like smushy hot German Potato Salad.
Perfect!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies