fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:09 pm
Can I make mashed potatoes ahead of time and still have them tasting good and with good texture. If it's possible, what's the best method?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,921 • Replies: 122
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:22 pm
How far ahead of time? I've kept "left-over" mashed potatoes for a few days and then reheated them in the microwave with no serious loss of quality. I suppose if you were making a lot, you'd want to heat them up slowly in a double-boiler. Adding lots of butter and/or cream cheese Very Happy always seems to help!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:25 pm
Well, I just wanted to avoid the last minute rush and mess on Thanksgiving. Maybe in the morning or the day before. So it sounds like if I reaheat slowly and whip well while possibly adding some more liquid it should be ok?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:26 pm
What about reheating in the oven?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:51 pm
I've "held" previously mashed potatoes in the oven to keep them warm and that works OK for a while, but they'll dry out if left too long, so I wonder about how great the quality would be if you had to bring them to temperature from refrigerator cold. I dunno, I'm supposing the cav and BBB will be here soon and know all about this! Wink
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:53 pm
Well thanks Piffka, I'm sure they'll check in!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:55 pm
Just by the way, we used to save left over mashed potatoes and press them into patties for frying. They're pretty good that way.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:57 pm
roger wrote:
Just by the way, we used to save left over mashed potatoes and press them into patties for frying. They're pretty good that way.

Add finely chopped onions, an egg and a little salt and pepper and you have my mother's recipe for potato latkes - and only a few weeks early for Chanukah! :-D
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:59 pm
Aha, so the egg is the secret!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:01 pm
Most of the time spent on mashers is peeling the potatoes. Do that ahead of time, even the night before, keeping them submerged in cold water. Then make the potatoes just before you pull the turkey out of the oven. Mash them while the bird is resting. Make sure and use lots of butter and a little heated milk.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:07 pm
Well, ah be dogged. I didn't know we had class, just thought we were poor.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Most of the time spent on mashers is peeling the potatoes. Do that ahead of time, even the night before, keeping them submerged in cold water. Then make the potatoes just before you pull the turkey out of the oven. Mash them while the bird is resting. Make sure and use lots of butter and a little heated milk.

Thanks CJ, that's what I usually do, but that's what I'm trying to avoid-- the last minute cooking and mashing and stove mess!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:09 pm
fealola wrote:
Aha, so the egg is the secret!

Eggs, the glue of cooking!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:11 pm
fealola wrote:
... what I'm trying to avoid-- the last minute cooking and mashing and stove mess!

Errr, Fealola, the easiest way to avoid that is to finagle an invitation to somebody ELSE's dinner! teeheeheee
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:22 pm
HA! HA! Look's like I'm the one this year!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:33 pm
AM I a clod? I prefer instant mashed potatoes. Most real mashed potatoes are "flavor free" The only way we use real ones is on shepherds pie.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:35 pm
Make 'em in the morning and pop them in the microwave to reheat. It sounds sacreligious, but it works just fine. Don't forget to stir.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:36 pm
farmerman has never had my mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and double-smoked bacon. Mind you, even my plain ones are never flavour-free.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:43 pm
Ahh, sigh of relief! Thanks Cav! (The potato, the worlds greatest invention!)

Edited to avoid Dan Qualism!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:53 pm
cav, sounds great caramalized onion is one of my favorite veggies. I like the tooth and the taste, and what can I say about bacon?

I had some really bad mashed a t a restaurant in Kennett Square the other week. They put vanilla in the mashed YAAAAK!
0 Replies