fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:54 pm
ewww!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:55 pm
Martha Stewart has a recipe for mashers that is out of this world. I don't have it here, but it involves butter, sour cream, and softened cream cheese folded into the spuds.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 04:57 pm
This year, since I only have one oven, I am going to buy a roaster. Target and Wallyworld carry decent models that only cost about $30. Freeing up the oven for other stuff is definitely worth it.

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/68/11/31/68/0068113168962_500X500.jpg

Why we didn't get one when we got married I have no idea. We have about seven crystal bowls we never use and no roaster. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:01 pm
Vanilla mashed potatoes is just wrong....

cjhsa, we did that recipe at a specialty food shop I worked at years ago. It is pretty tasty. My personal preference for a plain mash is yellow-flesh potatoes, about 1/4 lb. of butter to 2 lbs. potatoes, and just a bit of milk, maybe 3 tbsp. The key is to properly salt the boiling water, and then correct, if necessary, while mashing. Hot potatoes, cold butter, warm milk. A little white pepper and/or cayenne can be added as well, if desired, but go easy on it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:05 pm
I like to toss in a bit of Annie's goddess dressing -- though I guess a bit of tahini would have the same effect. Mmmm.

I could never keep mashers around for an entire day without eating 'em, though.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:08 pm
I always add sour cream. Little milk, for texture, butter for creaminess, and sour cream. Mom used to fry up some onion and put it on top and we'd have it for dinner with some buttermilk on the side. Most delicious comfort food ever.
I would add the sour cream when you are reheating the mashed potatoes. It will add moisture and taste fresh.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:08 pm
http://www.tashitagg.co.za/forumV2/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=55
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:09 pm
I would not put eggs in though. That will make it heavy as a brick, and too thick.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:11 pm
happy thanksgiving, cj
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:12 pm
CJ, my friend has one she loves it! (The roaster!)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:47 pm
dag, you must not be familiar with one of favourite French mashed potato dishes, Pommes Duchesse. Egg yolks are added to a regular mash, with lots of butter. The mixture is chilled, and then piped into shapes and baked until browned. They are light as a feather if done properly. If you add choux paste to this mixture, you get the truly over-the-top Pommes Dauphine....<drools> Pommes Duchesse is actually the origin of the common 'Tater Tot', but they are waaayyyy better made from scratch. For regular mash though, no egg.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:49 pm
That may be, but that ain't mashed potatoes anymore, but a whole different ballgame! (love tater tots, ditto droool)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:55 pm
Now I am thinking of Pommes Anna and Gratin potatoes....oh the pain!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:55 pm
I have no potatoes in the house.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:03 pm
I do!!! four! but i have neither milk, not sour cream. i may just pop them in the oven and have them with butter and salt. or can i do anything more fun with not much on hand? i have eggs, and sourkraut - i could make latkes like my dad does (with the sourkraut, it's gooooood). but that's too much work, i don't have a robot to grate them.. any suggestion?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:03 pm
feaola, I hate to even admit it, but I recently ate some of the god-damdest mashed potatoes and gravy from Popeye's Fried Chicken.

They still had the tiny lumps of 'tato and the gravy was so fine I wanted to slap my mother.

Little tiny sausage crumbles or something in it.

So if you have one of those chicken stores near you, that's the best I can suggest for avoiding the mess.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:08 pm
Home fries -- boil 'em first, then drop in hot oil with whatever else you've got going -- and scramble. Me, I'd dump the sauerkraut on top of that, but I inherited a passion for mixed up messes of food from my father that not many people seem to share.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:08 pm
We have no Popeye's near here! Ahhh, I want to avoid the mess but I still want them homemade!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:17 pm
Diddies a man after my own taste. See I put a little of the Xtra Crispy stuff in with my fake mashed taters at a KFC. If I cant be told whats in it in a relatively short sentence, I dont wanna eat it.

cav, whats choux paste? you mean shoe paste?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:23 pm
p-dog, you saved the evening. home fries indeed it will be. lord knows i need all the distractions i can get from writing. this sounds like a reasonably long one.
0 Replies