cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:26 pm
farmerman, I meant choux paste, as in pate a choux, which profiteroles and other goodies are made from.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:27 pm
Profit rolls - that is how Indians judge their wimmin's beauty - if she hasn't got three rolls on her belly, she's too skinny. What sensible people!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:30 pm
Mashed Potato Time
Dee Dee Sharp
Written by Jon Sheldon and Harry Land

Peaked at # 1 in 1962

It's the latest, it's the greatest,
Mashed Patato, ya, ya ,ya

A Mashed Potato started long time ago
With a guy named Sloppy Joe,
You'll find this dance is so cool to do,
Come on baby, gonna teach it to you.

Mashed Potato, feel it in your feet now,
Mashed Potato, come on get the beat now,
Baby, come on honey, come on baby.

And then they dance it through and through,
They look for records they can do it to,
They got a dance was outta sight,
Doin' the lion sleeps tonight.

Mashed Potato, Ya a weem o wep a weem o wep,
Mashed Potato, ya, ya, ya, ya,
It's the latest, aw baby,
It's the greatest, come on honey,
Ya, ya ya, ya,

Now everybody is doin' fine,
They dance alone or in a big boss line,
And they discovered it's the most, man,
The day they did it to Please Mr. Postman.

Mashed Potato, wait a minute, wait a minute,
Mashed Potato, deliver de letter,
It's the latest, come on baby,
It's the greatest, oh honey,
Ya, ya, ya, ya.

Well they got with more and more,
Ya ought to see 'em around the floor,
The Mashed Potato ??????????
They even do it to Dear Lady Twist.

Mashed Potato, ya, ya, ya, ya,
It's the latest, come on baby,
It's the greatest, oh honey,
Mashed potato, feel the groovy beat now.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:39 pm
What did we know from latkes? Add bits of ham, a little finely chopped celery, and maybe another egg, and you have "Denver omelettes" -- day-after-Christmas supper!

Dag, I think the eggs only go in the refried patties...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:01 pm
I grew up calling potato latkes, potato pancakes... if latkes also had seasoned flour mixed in and then were dredged again in flour before cooking. Does that sound right, Jespah?

I'm particular about my potato masher... I like the old-fashioned loopy kind. I mashed potatoes with an electric mixer once, a long time ago and thought it was a disaster.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 09:29 pm
Hmmm. I like a plain old fork best, mashed in a shallow dish so that everything can be mushed up. But I like 'em with the skins, too, so I may be weird.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:10 pm
What of the rosti? Poor sad Swiss rosti, as yet unmentioned in this potato thread...

Potato ricers, best for all mashee potatoey kinda things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:08 pm
I have been known to add sauteed garlic to my mashed potatoes, and I must add, before it became trendy. Or, regular mashed potatoes (butter, half and half) put in dish in oven with coating of paprika over top...

or, regular mashed with some parmigiano mixed in..

once added a bit of carrot when mashing. Sorta weird, but sort of good.

The key to me is using good fresh potatoes, and good butter. I happen to like red waxy ones (sorry, I know, I know, but I like them) or the yellow flesh ones, whate'er their current names. I like idaho bakers absolutely least.

I sometimes use a fork, sometimes, use an old fashioned potato masher, and sometimes uses electric mixer for pretty short time. I like a few lumps, too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:17 pm
I keep wishing I had some parm to go in my tahini taters! I think it would be damn tasty mixed in and then grated over the top and popped in the oven for a couple of minutes. Mmmm...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:51 pm
my mom, who is a culinary celebrity among a wide group of writers and other up-to-no-good people, adds also soft cheese to the mashed potatoes. the la vache qui rit kind, though that's one of the only two i saw in this country. we have many many kinds and they change the taste of the potatoes as desired. but i'm telling you, try it with that fried onion on the top, it's mirraculous. any kind of potatoes done in any way is mirraculous, if i may say so as a good slovak that i am.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:26 am
Look at this Fealola, a book of Mashed Potatoes!http://images.amazon.com/images/P/076790043X.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg
The second chapter is about making 'em ahead of time.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:29 am
The question one must always ask is....are your mashed potatoes a side dish, or a centerpiece? you can go either way, but in terms of menu planning, think of it as sex....even for women, too many orgasims can be exhausting eventually. Yer all gonna lie and say it ain't so, but it is. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:30 am
And exhausting is bad because...?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
Well, when it comes to the palate, it is bad.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:33 am
Ah. When it comes to the bed, it's polite.

(Will you stop this channeling thing?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 10:35 am
LOL! Am I channeling again? My apologies.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 11:09 am
Piffka wrote:
I grew up calling potato latkes, potato pancakes... if latkes also had seasoned flour mixed in and then were dredged again in flour before cooking. Does that sound right, Jespah?

Yep, definitely - can be made with flour or without. Mom and I make 'em without, my grandmothers (both of 'em) used to make with. But everyone used -
taters
finely chopped onions
salt
pepper
egg
lots of hot oil, usually peanut oil (I use safflower oil, usually)

Both of my grandmothers would grate the potatoes raw and then cook the whole mess together. The flour then helps to absorb any liquid. But lots of grating is a massive pain, and it takes longer for everything to cook.

Mom and I make latkes by using leftover mashed potatoes (I use the skins, she doesn't). Any kind of potato seems to work just fine. The onions can be raw but the potatoes being cooked seems to make everything go considerably faster. Add milk if you're eating dairy (if not, and you're kosher, think about milk but don't add any :-D). You can use leeks, scallions or chives instead of onions.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:39 pm
Leeks, scallions and chives... yum. My mom may have added evaporated milk whereas I'm more likely to add sour cream or yogurt if the mix needs moistening... we were not kosher or even Jewish. Wink I don't ever remember having these unless there were left-over mashed, which was a good reason to make extra.

A potato knish is somewhat similar, except the mix is put into a dough shell, right? I don't know any place around here that does knishes, not even in Seattle (there must be some place, but I don't know it... and I do check around). In Florida it seemed we could buy them in the deli of every grocery. They were as common as corndogs & much better.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:43 pm
My stomach is growling!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 12:45 pm
It's that onion cooking in oil that does it! I can smell it from here.
0 Replies