Why does God permit evil????

hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:01 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125219 wrote:
I just explained this. They cannot be considered in isolation from one another. If they could you would be absolutely correct, I grant this.

Sure they can be considered in isolation from each other. I noticed what you were doing with all of the extra statements in your answer, but that still doesn't avoid the point. If heaven is a better place than this, and the realm of heaven precedes earth, and God always does what is best, then God would have created us in heaven.
xris

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:02 pm
@Amperage,
You got it Hue , cut the ship out lets all go to heaven, content and perfect. We have waited long enough, holiday time.

This constant changing the concept of god and refusing to accept that this good god all powerful, would, or should have avoided the necessity of evil by every means possible. He just aint logical.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:02 pm
@xris,
xris;125215 wrote:
I knew Portugal when it was poor and its nothing like Africa. Why should my reasoning behind my logic have to be excluded for any reason. Whats this about cold and not feeling it ? You know the question I pose why are you deliberately avoiding it?
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:07 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125225 wrote:
Sure they can be considered in isolation from each other. I noticed what you were doing with all of the extra statements in your answer, but that still doesn't avoid the point. If heaven is a better place than this, and the realm of heaven precedes earth, and God always does what is best, then God would have created us in heaven.
And I realized what you were doing with your initial question about if I believed in heaven or not.

No, that does not follow. Heaven is the culmination of the our earthly experience. In the same way that it is logically impossible for 2 to come before 1 whether or not 2 is of greater value or not, it is logically impossible to get to heaven before earth. If you want to be created in heaven you must first pass through earth. It is logically impossible to skip the first and get straight to the second. Therefore God, in doing what is best, created you here so that you can experience what is next.

You yourself even admitted this could be so.
hue-man;125218 wrote:
Well yes. If we go by this premise one cannot have heaven without first passing through earth because God made it that way.
Therefore I rest my case
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:14 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125230 wrote:
And I realized what you were doing with your initial question about if I believed in heaven or not.

No, that does not follow. Heaven is the culmination of the our earthly experience. In the same way that it is logically impossible for 2 to come before 1 whether or not 2 is of greater value or not, it is logically impossible to get to heaven before earth. If you want to be created in heaven you must first pass through earth. It is logically impossible to skip the first and get straight to the second. Therefore God, in doing what is best, created you here so that you might experience what is next.

You're missing the point by focusing on the wrong thing. It's illogical for 2 to come before 1, yes. However, the words better and worse are statements of value not fact. What matters here is that the realm of heaven, and the conditions that make heaven better, were already in play before God created the earth.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;125227 wrote:
Lisbon in the seventies.

If you have lived sufficiently long enough to know good times and bad times you can recognise the benefits of understanding, why the good times are really good. I have lived through bad times and I appreciate the good times..NOW thats fine and dandy but what about my child who never saw its mother or father and lived in abject poverty never knowing love or a full belly or any other kindness or goodness and died of hunger at the tender age of three. You please tell me what perfect lessons that child learnt to qualify for your bizarre view of comparison. Your actually saying that child by its sad little life managed to obtain enough knowledge to realise the point in its existance. You know my points are valid but your faith makes you obstinate to the point of near madness.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:20 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125230 wrote:
You yourself even admitted this could be so. Therefore I rest my case

With all due respect, please don't resort to such desperate attempts to make your argument appear logical. In that sentence I said "if we go by the premise", which means speaking hypothetically. I didn't say that I thought it was possible or likely. Also, I should have italicized the words but in that same sentence I also said "because God made it that way", therefore logically attaching the responsibility that one must exist on earth before existing in heaven to this God.
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125242 wrote:
With all due respect, please don't resort to such desperate attempts to make your argument appear logical. In that sentence I said "if we go by the premise", which means speaking hypothetically. I didn't say that I thought it was possible or likely. Also, I should have italicized the words but in that same sentence I also said "because God made it that way", therefore logically attaching the responsibility that one must exist on earth before existing in heaven to this God.
well I'm not debating absolutes here. I could of course be completely wrong. I'm merely creating the room for possibility. And IMO what I said is at the very least possible.

I also agree with you that unless there is a necessity that connects heaven and earth in such a way as to make it logically impossible to have one without the other then, yes, God did not do His best. I admit this. Now can you admit that it is possible not necessarily so but possible that indeed there could be such a connection?

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 04:26 PM ----------

hue-man;125236 wrote:
What matters here is that the realm of heaven, and the conditions that make heaven better, were already in play before God created the earth.
First I'm not 100% sure if heaven existed before earth, at least not in it's current form. And even if it did I could conclude that it's in fact better now than it was before that time. And lastly, I'm not quite sure how you came to such a conclusion about heaven anyway.

However, all that aside I'll bite. What exactly are you getting at with this one?
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:31 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125247 wrote:
well I'm not debating absolutes here. I could of course be completely wrong. I'm merely creating the room for possibility. And IMO what I said is at the very least possible.

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 04:26 PM ----------

First I'm not 100% sure if heaven existed before earth, at least not in it's current form. And even if it did I could conclude that it's in fact better now than it was before that time. And lastly, I'm not quite sure how you came to such a conclusion about heaven anyway.

However, all that aside I'll bite. What exactly are you getting at with this one?

My point is that if there was an all-knowing, all-powerful, infallible, beneficent god, he would have created us in heaven.

You said that if heaven and earth could be considered in isolation of each other I would be correct. Heaven and earth can be considered in isolation of each other. Heaven is one realm and earth is another. Does this not mean that I'm correct?
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:33 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125253 wrote:
I already stated where I was getting at, and I politely would not like to restate something that I believe is so clear.

You said that if heaven and earth could be considered in isolation of each other I would be correct. Heaven and earth can be considered in isolation of each other. Heaven is one realm and earth is another. Does this not mean that I'm correct?
being in different "realms" does not infer isolation in the sense that there is no connection between the two realms. IMO it is the case that in order to get to heavenly realm one must first pass through the earthly realm. Thereby creating a connection between the two realms. Being in different realms does not imply isolation only a different form.
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:37 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125255 wrote:
being in different "realms" does not infer isolation in the sense that there is no connection between the two realms. And that in order to get to one realm one must first pass through the other realm. Being in different realms does not imply isolation only a different form.

I stated my point for you about heaven, but it was when I edited the post. Sorry. Allow me to say it again. My point is that if there was an all-knowing, all-powerful, infallible, beneficent god he would have created us in heaven.

Now you're connecting heaven and earth by means of a causal relationship instead of appreciating the fact that they can logically be considered to be two different realms of existence. It looks like you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:40 pm
@hue-man,
Xris, there you have Portugal...

Link:
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:40 pm
@Amperage,
I feel that we will now continue going round and round

I agree with you that if a connection between heaven and earth does not exist in such a way as to make it logically impossible to have one without the other then, yes, God did not do His best. I admit this.

Now can you admit that it is possible, not necessarily so, but possible, that indeed, such a connection might exist? That it is not impossible for such a connection to exist.
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:47 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125261 wrote:
I feel that we will now continue going round and round

I agree with you that if unless a connection between heaven and earth does not exists in such a way as to make it logically impossible to have one without the other then, yes, God did not do His best. I admit this.

Now can you admit that it is possible, not necessarily so, but possible, that indeed, there such a connection might exist?

Are you saying that it is logically impossible to have heaven without earth? I don't mean that in the sense of a person getting to heaven before living on earth, but in the sense that heaven couldn't exist without earth. Also, it wouldn't simply mean that god didn't do his best. It would mean that god would lose one of his most important attributes.

It's only possible in the sense that a supernatural dog could have created the universe with all of its suffering and pain. What I mean by that is that it's only possible in the sense that anything is possible through the eyes of an absolute skeptic. I'm not considering whether or not it's possible. I'm considering whether or not it's logical.
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 04:57 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125265 wrote:
Are you saying that it is logically impossible to have heaven without earth? I don't mean that in the sense of a person getting to heaven before living on earth, but in the sense that heaven couldn't exist without earth.
I'm not sure. I would have to do more research. One thing I think I can safely assert is that heaven for us cannot exist without earth.

If you won't even grant the possibility of something then I don't see the point continuing the debate. Obviously I wouldn't be arguing for something if it wasn't logical. I'm arguing from the standpoint of logically possible. Now if you want to argue from the standpoint of logically probable that's a different issue. I grant what you say is possible, however you seem to refuse to grant that what I say is even remotely possible. So I'm essentially just wasting proverbial my breath.
QuinticNon

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 09:47 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125258 wrote:
My point is that if there was an all-knowing, all-powerful, infallible, beneficent god he would have created us in heaven.

Is it logical for a being who is not "all-knowing, all-powerful, infallible, beneficent" to foist his logic upon a being who is?
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:41 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125258 wrote:
I stated my point for you about heaven, but it was when I edited the post. Sorry. Allow me to say it again. My point is that if there was an all-knowing, all-powerful, infallible, beneficent god he would have created us in heaven.

If I understand your argument, you are saying,
"If there is a god who created the universe and us humans in it, and this god is all-powerful and loving and all those other good things, then why did this God not just put us in heaven where all is perfect, rather than having us go through this messy process of being born, and being being mistreated, and doing bad things, and having to learn how to do good things, and suffering, and seeing other people suffer, and dieing?"

And Amperage is saying, "This whole process that we go through on earth with all the stuff that we have to go through and learn from are all necessary as a part of getting to be in heaven."
I suggest that Hue-Man is forgetting some of the properties of the God that most theist believe in, including being All-Knowing and All-Wise (which none of us here can honestly claim to be.)

(See posts #1040 & 1043 in this thread)

It is popular among atheists to introduce their straw-man concept of God as a basis for an argument, then when theists suggest that "God is more than that!" they say, "There you go again, changing the concept of god just to win your argument!" Actually, the theists have a much more robust and interesting concept of what God is than the atheists seem to want to consider. It is the atheists who have changed the concept of God to fit their arguments. This god that you atheists don't believe in? Well we theists don't believe in that god either! The God that we believe in is the Source of all Virtues and the definer thereof. He shows His love through His presence within us (if one chooses to let Him in) and through the guidance in words and deeds of His Prophets and Messengers. Words such as:
"O SON OF SPIRIT! The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes."

Here is an analogy for your argument, Hue-man:
You seem to think that being in the end-zone is where you aught to start, and the game is over and there was nothing for anyone to prove. Ask anyone who has played football for the fun of it, and they will tell you that all the effort and the pain were worth it, whether they won or lost. In Football, as in life, it is not whether you "win" or you "lose", it is how you play that makes you a better person.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 03:55 am
@xris,
xris;125138 wrote:
Peps you constantly interject, without real explaination of your true intentions. One liners are fine but I would like to know more of your true feelings.

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 02:27 PM ----------

So when did he decide to stop interfering in mans evil intentions? Your telling me the god of the old testament is the same god Jesus spoke of?

My name is not Peps, I choose Pepijn Sweep for valid reasons. I am sorry to interject with one-liners and try to be more clear. If i refer to the Celtic Green Man you might know what I mean, but someone with an American background might not. My true feelings are in my hart, though sometimes I am very enthousiastic about meeting you this way.

:Glasses:

PS I was refering to the hermetic tradions
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 04:28 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;125260 wrote:
Xris, there you have Portugal...

Link:
Yes, but why is this relevant to Portugal in 2010.

---------- Post added 02-06-2010 at 05:38 AM ----------

1CellOfMany;125363 wrote:
If I understand your argument, you are saying,
"If there is a god who created the universe and us humans in it, and this god is all-powerful and loving and all those other good things, then why did this God not just put us in heaven where all is perfect, rather than having us go through this messy process of being born, and being being mistreated, and doing bad things, and having to learn how to do good things, and suffering, and seeing other people suffer, and dieing?"

And Amperage is saying, "This whole process that we go through on earth with all the stuff that we have to go through and learn from are all necessary as a part of getting to be in heaven."
I suggest that Hue-Man is forgetting some of the properties of the God that most theist believe in, including being All-Knowing and All-Wise (which none of us here can honestly claim to be.)

(See posts #1040 & 1043 in this thread)

It is popular among atheists to introduce their straw-man concept of God as a basis for an argument, then when theists suggest that "God is more than that!" they say, "There you go again, changing the concept of god just to win your argument!" Actually, the theists have a much more robust and interesting concept of what God is than the atheists seem to want to consider. It is the atheists who have changed the concept of God to fit their arguments. This god that you atheists don't believe in? Well we theists don't believe in that god either! The God that we believe in is the Source of all Virtues and the definer thereof. He shows His love through His presence within us (if one chooses to let Him in) and through the guidance in words and deeds of His Prophets and Messengers. Words such as:
"O SON OF SPIRIT! The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not through the knowledge of thy neighbor. Ponder this in thy heart; how it behooveth thee to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving-kindness. Set it then before thine eyes."

Here is an analogy for your argument, Hue-man:
You seem to think that being in the end-zone is where you aught to start, and the game is over and there was nothing for anyone to prove. Ask anyone who has played football for the fun of it, and they will tell you that all the effort and the pain were worth it, whether they won or lost. In Football, as in life, it is not whether you "win" or you "lose", it is how you play that makes you a better person.
But you keep repeating yourself as if it answers the questions. We know your mind set, we understand your concept of god,many of us have come from a similar position but have asked questions that appear to contradict your views, that were once mine. Look at my questions that go begging for answers, look at Hue mans ? You dont resolve the argument by repeating your beliefs.

Every time we make out point clearly enough for you not to be able to avoid answering , you simply restate old intentions. My child dying in Africa is still asking your god for reason for her premature painful death, what purpose did it serve her?
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:39 am
@xris,
I think it is fair that in this thread we are debating about the Christian and Hebrew God YAHWEH

So let me dive in here with a few ideas that might warrant dialog

Why would God create an imperfect, temporary universe only to replace it later with a perfect one? Why wouldn't God have created a perfect universe in the first place?

This is a good question, but shows a lack of understanding of the biblical reason of why God created the universe.

One can find the reason for the creation of the universe in the first few chapters of the Bible. God created humans in order to have a personal relationship with them, which He had with Adam and Eve before they sinned (Genesis 2).

Jesus said that the first and foremost commandment was to "Love the Lord your God A personal relationship, characterized by the possibility of love, is only possible if created beings are given free will. If God had created the universe with no possibility of evil or sin, then the created beings would have had no free will, and, as such, would essentially be programmed computers.

Such beings would be incapable of love, since love involves making a choice - which requires the ability to choose not to love.

For example, we could program our computer to say "I love you" when it starts up. Does this mean that the computer really loves me? Of course not! Likewise, God could have programmed humans to say that they loved Him, without the possibility of rejecting Him or performing evil deeds.

However, these programmed beings would exhibit about as much true love as my computer - not a very satisfying relationship. Therefore, God created the universe for the express purpose of allowing free will spiritual beings the opportunity to have fellowship with Him (and likewise, reject Him).