Why does God permit evil????

hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:21 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125157 wrote:
it's of utmost importance. If suffering is necessary then God would have no choice but to allow it. Since the only things unavoidable for God are those things which are logically necessary.

Pain and Suffering harbor just as much good if not more than they harbor evil. And they both work to strengthen our bodies, our character, and our souls. Even someone hellbent on doing something evil can't guarantee their result. Someone can try and cut someone down verbally and it will serve only to motivate the person even more. Someone can even try to physically hurt another and end up causing them pleasure and an adrenaline boost.

Wrong. The conditions of the universe itself were supposedly created by this god. Therefore this god is the ultimate cause on the causal chain and is therefore logically responsible for the necessity of pain and suffering. The question remains and the only logical conclusion I can think of has been stated.

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 03:23 PM ----------

Amperage;125159 wrote:
The point is that pain and suffering exist. But how we perceive these sensations makes all the difference.

No. That's not the point. Now you're getting into coping mechanisms to endure pain and suffering. Instead of zooming in, you are zooming out.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:24 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125163 wrote:
Wrong. The conditions of the universe itself were supposedly created by this god. Therefore this god is the ultimate cause on the causal chain and is therefore logically responsible for the necessity of pain and suffering. The question remains and the only logical conclusion I can think of has been stated.
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:25 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125163 wrote:
hasn't science proven that if the conditions of the universe were different by even the smallest of percentages that life could not exist?
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;125168 wrote:

Wrong. God is all-powerful. Therefore, to say that god cannot change his nature is equivalent to saying that a sadistic criminal cannot change their behavior, which would do away with the whole free will thing. Also, by saying that god cannot change himself you are saying that god has a certain character that would necessitate even the most atrocious conditions. The only character traits that would necessitate such conditions is that of apathy or even antipathy, but that's not the god that the OP is talking about.

Also, your definition of rightness and goodness is presumptuous.

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 03:36 PM ----------

Amperage;125169 wrote:
hasn't science proven that if the conditions of the universe were different by even the smallest of percentages that life could not exist?

I'm not sure that it has, but that still doesn't change the premise that all of the physical conditions that make such a fact possible (that life could not exist if the universe were different even by the smallest percentage) were created by an all-knowing, all-powerful god.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:41 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125163 wrote:

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 03:23 PM ----------

No. That's not the point. Now you're getting into coping mechanisms to endure pain and suffering. Instead of zooming in, you are zooming out.

hue-man;125171 wrote:
Wrong. God is all-powerful. Therefore, to say that god cannot change his nature is equivalent to saying that a sadistic criminal cannot change their behavior, which would do away with the whole free will thing. Also, by saying that god cannot change himself you are saying that god has a certain character that would necessitate even the most atrocious conditions. The only character traits that would necessitate such conditions is that of apathy or even antipathy, but that's not the god that the OP is talking about.

Also, your definition of rightness and goodness is presumptuous.
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125171 wrote:
I'm not sure that it has, but that still doesn't change the premise that all of the physical conditions that make such a fact possible (that life could not exist if the universe were different even by the smallest percentage) were created by an all-knowing, all-powerful god.
The only other solution would be to have a completely different universe governed by different laws in which case, if life were able to exist, it would exist differently than it does now. At this point you would then have to prove that this different universe would be better than the one we live in. And if God cannot avoid logical necessity and if He always does what's best, we can safely conclude that the actual universe must be better than any universe that was not created by the simple fact that ours was the one created.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 02:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;125176 wrote:

That's not what omnipotence means. It's an improper use of language to shape and contour unambiguous words to your liking. To be omnipotent means to have unlimited authority or power. Necessity and omnipotence are nowhere near being synonymous.

If by god you are referring to the universe, we have no business debating this subject, and I don't mean that in a condescending way. If you are truly a pantheist (you believe that the universe is god) then I think your debating this subject is founded on an error.

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 03:58 PM ----------

Amperage;125177 wrote:
The only other solution would be to have a completely different universe governed by different laws in which case, if life were able to exist, it would exist differently than it does now. At this point you would then have to prove that this different universe would be better than the one we live in. And if God cannot avoid logical necessity and if He always does what's best, we can safely conclude that the actual universe must be better than any universe that was not created by the simple fact that ours was the one created.

I don't think you should bring up proof in this discussion, for at that point our discussion should cease. In the quote above, you are caught up in a presumptuous use of the word better, which is derived from the word good. I have yet to find an objective definition for such sentimental terms.

What exactly do you mean when you say god? Please answer that question in the most unambiguous way possible?
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:06 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125179 wrote:
What exactly do you mean when you say god? Please answer that question in the most unambiguous way possible?
First I have to stipulate by saying that God cannot be defined per say. But yes, I'm referring to the Tri-Omni God of the bible.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125179 wrote:
That's not what omnipotence means. It's an improper use of language to shape and contour unambiguous words to your liking. To be omnipotent means to have unlimited authority or power. Necessity and omnipotence are nowhere near being synonymous.

If by god you are referring to the universe, we have no business debating this subject, and I don't mean that in a condescending way. If you are truly a pantheist (you believe that the universe is god) then I think your debating this subject is founded on an error.
God is EVERYTHING, nothing is left out, Everything is a POSITIVE and GOOD, thus NECESSARY affirmation of REALITY !!!

And this is a quick some of the extent of my personal view and belief upon the subject that I am so entitle to discuss as you are here or in any thread elsewhere that summons the question...
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:20 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125186 wrote:
First I have to stipulate by saying that God cannot be defined per say. But yes, I'm referring to the Tri-Omni God of the bible.

If you don't believe that the word god can be defined then why use it? That seems to contradict the notion.

The god of the bible you say? In that case I have some questions for you.

Do you believe in heaven?
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:27 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125192 wrote:
If you don't believe that the word god can be defined then why use it? That seems to contradict the notion.

The god of the bible you say? In that case I have some questions for you.

by "it cannot be defined per say", I simply mean in its entirety. It cannot be defined in such a way as to do it complete justice. I think jeeprs gave a good definition(he was not talking about God but I think the picture still applies) I'm going to quote it first then change it slightly:
jeeprs;122644 wrote:
But let's zoom out a bit and consider the real objects of perception. They always appear in a context - a figure on a background. What is the background? A hard question to ask, because as soon as you do, you're making a figure of the background. Nevertheless a great deal about the object in your perception is only inferred because of the relationship of the figure to the background. In a very real sense, no figure exists without a background - it couldn't, because then there would be no figure. So the background is as much a part of the perception of the object as is the figure. So in this respect 'the object of perception' is already an abstraction.

I think defining God is very similar. We can examine objects(attributes) of God but don't have the ability to take God in in His entirety.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:27 pm
@hue-man,
My concept of Trinity:

Father=Multi-verse=Universe=Structure=Wholeness=ONE
Son=Object=Part=Mankind=Conjuncture=Several
Holly Spirit=Dialectic=Order=Movement=Communication=Logic
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:29 pm
@Amperage,
I also want to inject a quote from Fil. Albuquerque from another thread here because I think it holds some merit and is pertinent to what we were just discussing:

Fil. Albuquerque;121461 wrote:
To my best and informed reasoning, the Fundamentals on ancient God view are not wrong...

1- Yes, God as to be, it needs to be, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent...
He/It, is the some of ALL THINGSGod is everything and God is Order !He "SLEEPS" !...We as parts, as Dynamic, even if it is false as it is done (the dynamic), are the goal of Order itself...The simulation is set for us...Universe is our playground...

As for Catastrophe...

...Catastrophe and Suffering have the purpose of creating the Illusion that everything we old dear can be lost, and in the Idea that it can be lost, We nurture the only reason to old them dear...:a-ok:

Best Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 03:35 PM ----------

hue-man;125192 wrote:
yes I believe in heaven, but I do not believe that we can consider heaven in isolation from the earthly decision that led to eternal life. We had free will on earth, and God simply permanently cemented our free-willed choice. Love still exists in heaven because God affirms the free-willed decision to follow God while on earth.
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:38 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;125188 wrote:
God is EVERYTHING, nothing is left out, Everything is a POSITIVE and GOOD, thus NECESSARY affirmation of REALITY !!!

And this is a quick some of the extent of my personal view and belief upon the subject that I am so entitle to discuss as you are here or in any thread elsewhere that summons the question...

I'm not saying you're not entitled to discuss this subject, but I don't see why you would be defending the notion that a personal supernatural agent exists when your conception is a holistic, mystical, pantheistic one. You don't believe that the universe is a personal agent do you?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:38 pm
@Amperage,
Quote:
I also want to inject a quote from Fil. Albuquerque from another thread here because I think it holds some merit and is pertinent to what we were just discussing:

Indeed it is appropriate to clarify my conciliative approach to this problem of Science and Religion endless war...

---------- Post added 02-05-2010 at 04:41 PM ----------

hue-man;125206 wrote:
I'm not saying you're not entitled to discuss this subject, but I don't see why you would be defending the notion that a personal supernatural agent exists when your conception is a holistic, mystical, pantheistic one. You don't believe that the universe is a personal agent do you?

well, no !
...at least not in the strict sense of personal agent...
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:45 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125200 wrote:
yes I believe in heaven, but I do not believe that we can consider heaven in isolation from the earthly decision that led to eternal life. We had free will on earth, and God simply permanently cemented our free-willed choice. Love still exists in heaven because God affirms the free-willed decision to follow God while on earth.

Thank you for answering my question, but I politely ask that you don't make statements in the affirmative, such as "we had free will on earth, and God simply permanently cemented our free-willed choice". Such a statement cannot be proven. This discussion is about meaningful questions, not meaningful answers.

Let's proceed with the questions. I asked if you believed in heaven and you said yes. Do you also believe that heaven is a better place?
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:47 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125212 wrote:
Thank you for answering my question, but I politely ask that you don't make statements in the affirmative, such as "we had free will on earth, and God simply permanently cemented our free-willed choice". Such a statement cannot be proven. This discussion is about meaningful questions, not meaningful answers.

Let's proceed with the questions. I asked if you believed in heaven and you said yes. Do you also believe that heaven is a better place?
yes I believe heaven is a better place but cannot be considered in isolation from the here and now....One cannot have heaven without first passing through earth. It's like saying isn't being 21 better than being 14? One cannot get to 21 without going through 14. And indeed 21 is only as good BECAUSE of what preceded it
xris

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;125145 wrote:
I knew Portugal when it was poor and its nothing like Africa. Why should my reasoning behind my logic have to be excluded for any reason. Whats this about cold and not feeling it ? You know the question I pose why are you deliberately avoiding it?
hue-man

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:52 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;125213 wrote:
yes I believe heaven is a better place but cannot be considered in isolation from the here and now....One cannot have heaven without first passing through earth. It's like saying isn't being 21 better than being 14? One cannot get to 21 without going through 14. And indeed 21 is only as good BECAUSE of what preceded it

Well yes. If we go by this premise one cannot have heaven without first passing through earth because God made it that way, but that's not the point I'm trying to get to.

If you believe that heaven is a better place, as the Christian doctrine teaches, and you believe that God always does what is best, why didn't God create his creatures in heaven?
Amperage

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:54 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;125218 wrote:
If you believe that heaven is a better place, as the Christian doctrine teaches, and you believe that God always does what is best, why didn't God create his creatures in heaven?
I just explained this. They cannot be considered in isolation from one another. If they could you would be absolutely correct, I grant this.