Why does God permit evil????

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:27 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;101750 wrote:
Interpretation requires something to interpret, some source. If we take as our source the various teachings attributed to that fella Jesus, taking his teachings on Heaven to suggest "a metaphysical paradise where good people go after death" is like interpreting the "Red Wheelbarrow" as Communist propaganda. It is an incorrect interpretation.

It is a common interpretation, whether it's correct or incorrect. Many do interpret "heaven" to literally mean a place of paradise they go after death. In fact, I know many of these people.

So, when you just say "heaven", without the clarification you just gave, you should not be surprised when people understand what you say to mean the literal interpretation very common in Christianity and Catholicism. Whether it's correct or incorrect is an entirely different story.
xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:36 am
@Zetherin,
So what is the conclusion? Do we describe this god first before we ask if he is benevolent or do we accept the recognised idea of god ,described by scriptures. Any one who dares admit there is a god, to be described, needs to answer these questions or his description fails and so does his god. A full description, not the illusive god we so often see displayed. No excuses , like its beyond our comprehension.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:02 am
@xris,
xris;101784 wrote:
So what is the conclusion? Do we describe this god first before we ask if he is benevolent or do we accept the recognised idea of god ,described by scriptures. Any one who dares admit there is a god, to be described, needs to answer these questions or his description fails and so does his god. A full description, not the illusive god we so often see displayed. No excuses , like its beyond our comprehension.

The conclusion of what? Part of the traditional description of God is that God is benevolent. But I am missing your point.
xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:15 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101790 wrote:
The conclusion of what? Part of the traditional description of God is that God is benevolent. But I am missing your point.
I am asking if we are debating the traditional description and if not, how is he, it, described.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:20 am
@xris,
xris;101792 wrote:
I am asking if we are debating the traditional description and if not, how is he, it, described.

I can't speak for others. God is usually described as all-good. But, if , as some say, "good" as applied to God does not mean what it means when it is ordinarily applied, then, of course, I am bewildered as to what the traditional description means. It is silly to praise God for His goodness, if we do not know what we are talking about.
Icon

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:24 am
@Alan McDougall,
I simply have to point out a couple of things.

First of all, God created man and gave him Free Will, as well as a promise that this would not be interfered with. So you want to ask why God lets man do bad things, it is because he promised us the ability to make our own choices.

Now you would like to talk about floods and disasters of the natural type. Did man not create these? As we increase our energy output, we melt the ice caps which causes changes in temperature in the ocean which affect the natural currents which changes wind flow which causes more storms and effects techtonic plate motion. So we ARE creating these actually.

Now you ask about evil. Why does God allow evil. Would you understand the gift of happiness if happiness was all you knew?

If happiness was all you knew then happiness would be normal. Nothing special, just another day. because bad things happen, we can see how good the good things are. It is a balance required to keep our interest in life.

God cannot be described as it is in any text. We know this because it is a concept far beyond anything we have a relative frame of reference for. Still, we try, just as we try with so many other things.

I simply have to ask... If you think God should just make the world a better place, what are you doing with your gifts to help accomplish this same goal? God put the power into your hands. Miracles DO happen but they are the result of benevolence in Man, not the interference of God.

Relating God to the permission of evil is like relating a pomeranian to the fall of the twin towers. Unrelated.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:31 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101795 wrote:
I can't speak for others. God is usually described as all-good. But, if , as some say, "good" as applied to God does not mean what it means when it is ordinarily applied, then, of course, I am bewildered as to what the traditional description means. It is silly to praise God for His goodness, if we do not know what we are talking about.
Exactly , we are chasing shadows. The description appears to change depending on the subject debated. Each defender of the faith should describe their god, so we know exactly what we are debating. If you, they, prescribe to the god Jehovah or Allah, then that description is not for them to adjust, the scriptures describe him. He is described as benevolent.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 12:36 PM ----------

Icon;101797 wrote:
I simply have to point out a couple of things.

First of all, God created man and gave him Free Will, as well as a promise that this would not be interfered with. So you want to ask why God lets man do bad things, it is because he promised us the ability to make our own choices.

Now you would like to talk about floods and disasters of the natural type. Did man not create these? As we increase our energy output, we melt the ice caps which causes changes in temperature in the ocean which affect the natural currents which changes wind flow which causes more storms and effects techtonic plate motion. So we ARE creating these actually.

Now you ask about evil. Why does God allow evil. Would you understand the gift of happiness if happiness was all you knew?

If happiness was all you knew then happiness would be normal. Nothing special, just another day. because bad things happen, we can see how good the good things are. It is a balance required to keep our interest in life.

God cannot be described as it is in any text. We know this because it is a concept far beyond anything we have a relative frame of reference for. Still, we try, just as we try with so many other things.

I simply have to ask... If you think God should just make the world a better place, what are you doing with your gifts to help accomplish this same goal? God put the power into your hands. Miracles DO happen but they are the result of benevolence in Man, not the interference of God.

Relating God to the permission of evil is like relating a pomeranian to the fall of the twin towers. Unrelated.
So god is benevolent, is that correct? Its mans fault, all the evil in the world ? Nothing to do with god, at all? Nothing to do with him , he created us imperfect . Floods are the responsibility of man ? so they never happened before man?
hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 11:41 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;101695 wrote:
Why did God stand back and do nothing during the holocuast?

Why does God permit natural catastrophes like the tsunami that killed 250 thousand people recently?

Why does God create an entity like a virus that does nothing but kill its host?

Etc Etc[/b]

Because God doesn't exist.
xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101801 wrote:
Because God doesn't exist.
I must say that this is a conclusion to a question, no one can answer. He may exist and be malevolent, he may exist and be not known to us. The question posed is god benevolent?
Icon

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:01 pm
@xris,
xris;101798 wrote:

So god is benevolent, is that correct? Its mans fault, all the evil in the world ? Nothing to do with god, at all? Nothing to do with him , he created us imperfect . Floods are the responsibility of man ? so they never happened before man?

You're twisting my words. I made general statements to general questions. It would take a lifetime to dig into the details. but, in all honesty, can you prove to me that there WERE floods before mankind? All of the arguments applied against God can be applied against anything in this world. it is because language is inadequate. I can tell you why I think there is a God and why I have faith that he is benevolent, but I can no more prove his existence to you than I can prove that backward time travel is possible.

I will also reply to hue-man:

To say there is no God is just as close minded as saying that there is a god and he makes everything happen to everyone.

To leave no open ends seems rather wasteful. You have no proof of this. It has been discussed time and time again. The concept of God cannot be proven OR disproven. So you cannot very well say that there is no God with any sort of merit to the statement.

But to both of you I will say this: The principles of logic are a wonderful thing. deductive and inductive reasoning are fantastic tools. However, these tools can only be used for things which have already occured. They are used to evaluate events in order to come to conclusions about those events. These tools cannot tell you whether or not the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They cannot tell you if you will live long enough to see morning. They cannot promise that there will be air to breath or that you will make it to the day after and yet, each of us has plans for the future. We design our purpose around the future though we can have absolutely NO clue what it holds for us. In essence, we live on faith and faith alone. Purpose is found in faith, not in logic. This is also why purpose is another strongly contested philosophical concept. There is no telling what tomorrow holds and, despite your tremendous ability to evaluate the past, you are no better off than someone who lives "by the grace of God alone".

I challenge you to disprove me.

EDIT (it submitted before I was finished): Benevolence requires evidence of existence. We cannot comprehend the intentions of a being which we cannot understand to begin with. It is just as likely that God is benevolent as it is that he is malevent. Not being able to classify his existence means that we cannot classify his intentions. Also, I use he for congruity on communication considering I cannot define "him" as a he, she, it or anything really.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:02 pm
@xris,
xris;101810 wrote:
I must say that this is a conclusion to a question, no one can answer. He may exist and be malevolent, he may exist and be not known to us. The question posed is god benevolent?

But, if as some have said on this thread, the term, "benevolent" applied to God means something very different from the term as applied to anyone else, that question is unanswerable. In fact, in that case, is makes no sense.

Some of the issue is that God is supposed to be infinitely good. And some say that we cannot understand infinite goodness. But John Stuart Mill made an interesting remark about this. Mill said that if a string is infinitely long, it surely must be at least one inch long. It cannot be infinitely longs unless it is one inch long. So, Mill said, if God is infinitely good, then God must be at least as good as you and I are. He could not be infinitely good unless he were as good as a person is.
hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:09 pm
@xris,
xris;101810 wrote:

I reject the notion that we cannot know that something does not exist. That is a very impractical view of knowledge. I reject the claim for the existence of any and all supernatural agents. The idea of god, as it pertains to reality, is no different from the idea of unicorns, and I reject the notion of the existence of both. The state of reality can be explained without any supernatural agents or intervention. When, and if, the existence of supernatural agency is proven, I will thereby drop my naturalist atheism. Until then, I accept as knowledge that the notion of the existence of supernatural agency is a result of the human imagination, and that supernatural agents do not exist.

As for god being malevolent or benevolent, I'll leave that up to those who entertain the idea.
Icon

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:14 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101816 wrote:
I reject the notion that we cannot know that something does not exist. That is a very impractical view of knowledge. I reject the claim for the existence of any and all supernatural agents. The idea of god, as it pertains to reality, is no different from the idea of unicorns, and I reject the notion of the existence of both. The state of reality can be explained without any supernatural agents or intervention. When, and if, the existence of supernatural agency is proven, I will thereby drop my naturalist atheism. Until then, I accept as knowledge that the notion of the existence of supernatural agency is a result of the human imagination, and that supernatural agents do not exist.

As for god being malevolent or benevolent, I'll leave that up to those who entertain the idea.

So I will ask you about dragons. A supernatural agent present in societies LONG before they were communicating with each other and still similar across the board. So you are saying that there is NO possibility of Dragons existing because you cannot see them now? Were there no electron microscopes, atoms would be one of your fictitious entities. The lack of evidence does not denote the lack of existence. If this were the thought process of mankind, we would have NEVER made any progress.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:14 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101816 wrote:

Did he say we cannot know that something doesn't exist? I know that unicorns don't exist, and so, I suppose does he.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101814 wrote:
But, if as some have said on this thread, the term, "benevolent" applied to God means something very different from the term as applied to anyone else, that question is unanswerable. In fact, in that case, is makes no sense.

Some of the issue is that God is supposed to be infinitely good. And some say that we cannot understand infinite goodness. But John Stuart Mill made an interesting remark about this. Mill said that if a string is infinitely long, it surely must be at least one inch long. It cannot be infinitely longs unless it is one inch long. So, Mill said, if God is infinitely good, then God must be at least as good as you and I are. He could not be infinitely good unless he were as good as a person is.
I can only judge by human values and the values that the faithful propose. If the god they propose is different to the god of scriptures, then they must confess their differences and admit scriptures are in error. This distortion of scriptures to accommodate a certain debate is forever misrepresenting the truth of Religion. Pick and mix to your hearts desire.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
@xris,
xris;101820 wrote:
I can only judge by human values and the values that the faithful propose. If the god they propose is different to the god of scriptures, then they must confess their differences and admit scriptures are in error. This distortion of scriptures to accommodate a certain debate is forever misrepresenting the truth of Religion. Pick and mix to your hearts desire.

Did they say that their concept of God is different from the traditional concept of God?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;101709 wrote:
To quote Karen Armstrong:

"Surely everyone knows what God is: the Supreme Being, a divine Personality, who created the world and everything in it. [Some readers] looked perplexed if you point out that it is inaccurate to call God the Supreme Being because God is not a being at all, and that we don't really understand what we mean when we say that he is "good", "wise", or "intelligent". People of faith admit in theory that God is utterly transcendent, but they seem sometimes to assume that they know exactly who "he" is and what he thinks, loves, and expects. We tend to tame and domesticate God's "otherness."

Descriptions of God cannot be accurate in the way I can accurately describe my wall color red. Descriptions of God can, at best unless they are idolatrous, only point to the ineffable reality of God.

Let me give you another quote from British critic George Steiner: "It is decisively the fact that language does have frontiers that gives proof of a transcendent presence in the fabric of our world. It is just because we can go no further, because speech so marvelously fails us, that we experience the certitude of a divine meaning surpassing and enfolding ours." He goes on to say that "what lies beyond man's word is eloquent of God."

Ever wonder why Zen Buddhism uses koans like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"? Steiner gives you the answer.
This post avoids the truth that god of scriptures describes him as benevolent but admits it goes beyond mans understanding. Now either he is benevolent , as scriptures describe him or he is not known. If he is not known he is not the god of scriptures.

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 02:41 PM ----------

hue-man;101816 wrote:

So you know everything that is to be known ?how fortunate for you. Im not debating the existance of a god but the description certain believers would have us believe.
stew phil

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:22 pm
@Justin,
Justin;101720 wrote:
Not necessarily. However, disasters like this occur as natures way of keeping balance. Man has tried to dominate and control nature through science etc., rather than work with nature and/or God in balance and harmony.

So you are saying that natural disasters are a way of imposing God's order because of the "imbalance" humans cause?

So when you state balance as synonymous with order, you are presupposing value e.g. balance is inherently good. If that is not correct, what meaning are we to understand order/balance by?

So then, if droughts are in effect to re-order the universe, then by your reasoning, natural disaster's are in effect a good thing for human beings, a value of which originates from God by your reasoning?

But that just begs the question, how do you explain order as good without positing a source e.g. nature/God? And how do you explain God without positing a "good" order...and around we go.

Justin;101720 wrote:

The one thing I see demonstrated over time and in all of natural science is BALANCE. Humankind has brought imbalance to the equation and nature will not have it. Nature and the balanced nature of God, (I'm using the God term loosely here) is something most humans are unaware of. Instead, they think of God as a deity in the sky that allows evil and doesn't prevent disasters. When humankind comes to the realization of our own responsibility in this universe instead of blaming a mythical deity such as God or Satan, we will then begin to change how we see the world and realize just how responsible we actually are for what happens in the world.

Ok so God is not omni-whatever. I take it from this view God is unified with all that exists, and therefore not ontologically distinct from all that exists. But is the value of evil inherently in nature? Can please you explain that?

Justin;101720 wrote:

instead of discovering for ourselves that in the stillness of nothingness, of empty space, of balance, of love, therein lies the God that just is or the inexplicable laws of nature, duality and energy.

How can empty space, (if that is even a coherent notion), love and balanced be explained by something inexplicable? I agree that some things we seek to know are perhaps beyond our reach, but if you argue that God is synonymous with nature, and yet at the same time inexplicable, it just sounds like you are forming a non-sequitur by taking liberties with what we perhaps don't know yet. It doesn't follow that because some things seem at the present moment unexplainable, in time we won't be able to form a better understanding of such things e.g. energy.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:08 pm
@xris,
xris;101829 wrote:
So you know everything that is to be known ?how fortunate for you. Im not debating the existance of a god but the description certain believers would have us believe.

I didn't say that I know everything, Xris. I'm saying that I believe that we can know that somethings don't exist, and I believe that supernatural agency is one of those things.
xris

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 04:01 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;101861 wrote:
I didn't say that I know everything, Xris. I'm saying that I believe that we can know that somethings don't exist, and I believe that supernatural agency is one of those things.
We can only judge the value of any god that believers describe. We may be surprised one day.