Why does God permit evil????

ACB

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:15 pm
@xris,
xris;123905 wrote:
Sorry it does not have to be constructed in any way, if god who has the power do exactly as he wishes. Alice in wonderland could be absolutely logical if god wished it to be so. You are saying his other inventions describe logic but he has the power to alter any concept or any creation. Your view of logic is restricted by your understanding, not the description. QM has the ability to turn logic on its head, so why not your all powerful god? An impossible concept does not describe an impossible god or even a possible god. Only an impossible god can describe an impossible concept. You cant have your cake.....

"Illogical" does not mean "weird" or "inexplicable" or "violating causality" or anything like that; it means "self-contradictory".

Alice in Wonderland is perfectly logical. The things in it are what they are; they are not other than what they are. Likewise with QM. They may require a complex description, but they do not violate the law of non-contradiction.

All human concepts are framed by logic, and the human concept of an all-powerful God is no exception, since we cannot step outside our human perspective. Therefore, if we talk about an all-powerful God altering or suspending logic, we literally do not know what we are talking about. The idea of God creating a triangular pentagon makes no more sense than the idea of a triangular pentagon itself.

Why can't there be a God who is "restricted" to doing only what is logical (and hence is not "all-powerful" by your definition)?
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;123940 wrote:
...my commentary...

Excellent 1CellOfMany.

---------- Post added 01-31-2010 at 08:04 PM ----------

Thank you ABC for this clear and accurate representation of logic. And thank you mostly for not waving the word "illogical" around in defense of anything you don't understand or refuse to accept.

ACB;123948 wrote:
Why can't there be a God who is "restricted" to doing only what is logical (and hence is not "all-powerful" by your definition)?

It depends on how you define God.

I define God as Truth. They are synonymous, and yes, that means that I believe that Truth is a Sentient Entity.

Therefore, even if God created an entirely illogical and deceptive universe, then it would be True that God created an entirely illogical and deceptive universe. Truth remains at its foundation.

Even if we were able to kill the Truth, then it would be True that we killed the Truth. Truth remains, even after we've killed it.

Truth, all men seek it, yet no man owns it. It's like trying to own God.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 04:33 am
@1CellOfMany,
1CellOfMany;123940 wrote:
Please pardon the length of this. Also, please read to the end before responding, however mightily you might disagree with some part of it:

Xris, your argument, [and my commentary] is presented below in a clear and rigorous form:

"We wish to test the validity of the following proposition (proposition X) about which we disagree:

X: There exists a Supreme Entity, Whom we will call "God", Who has the following attributes:
[INDENT]1.God is the Sole Creator of the universe, and has created this universe with full knowledge and understanding of all aspects of that creation.
2.God is All Powerful, meaning that He can do whatever he pleases with His creation. Among the things which He can do: He can cause whatever change in it He desires, including changing the mental and physical characteristics of the creatures, the laws of physics, the relative densities of specific substances, the operation and severity of the weather. etc.)
3.God is All Loving. He loves each of His creatures, and most certainly us humans.
[/INDENT]We are going to test the logical validity of proposition X against the following propositions, A, B, and C, which we either all agree upon, or which are clear and evident to any reasonable and observant person:

A. In this world, which God is said to have created according to #1, we all agree that there is human suffering.
[INDENT]I.We also agree that some of that suffering is caused by evil actions of humans.
II. We also agree that events, such as earthquakes, and severe weather, which are caused by physical circumstances that seem to be part of this world, also cause suffering.
[/INDENT]B. According to X - 2 above, God is All Powerful, and therefore He is capable of preventing human suffering of both kinds if He wished to. [I believe that most of us can agree on this.]
C. A Loving God would not allow his beloved human creatures to suffer if He could prevent it.

Proposition C is a key point on which the theists and and atheists disagree.
If C is true, then we must conclude one of the following:
[INDENT]I.That if there exists an Entity Who is the Sole Creator of the universe and is All Loving, He is NOT All Powerful. OR
II.That if there exists an Entity Who is the Sole Creator of the universe and is All Powerful, then He is NOT All Loving OR
III.That there exists NO Entity Who is the Sole Creator of the universe.
[/INDENT][In truth, we really only need I or II, but III is the conclusion that the atheists believe and the belief to which they wish us all to convert.] ;- D

Now, as xris has complained, all of us "traditional" theists are quite attached to proposition X, which he wishes to test. (Some "modern" or "untraditional" theists are not so convinced about many aspects of proposition X, but we will set that aside for now.) Because we theists take proposition X on faith, and believe that it "Must be True", we are ready to seek any way that we can to give good cause for rejecting proposition C. In other words, we feel compelled to demonstrate why a Loving God would, in fact, allow the human suffering that we see in the world, even though He could prevent it. There are several arguments, which theists consider conclusive, for rejecting C. If the theists and the atheists cannot or will not agree upon the validity of C, then we are at an impasse.

I believe the atheist argument in support of C is as follows:
C - 1 "Any reasonable person will agree that if one person loves another, they would gladly do [nearly] anything to prevent the ones they love from suffering."

There is a second part of this argument which I have not seen stated, but that is necessary to completing the logical support of C. That is:

C - 2 "God is a person, or enough like a person, (and God's relationship to us humans is enough like the relationship between a person who loves other persons) that statement C - 1 also applies to God."

Assertion C - 1 is supportable and verifiable as far as human persons (and many other living creatures, particularly mammals and marsupials) are concerned, but the question is, whether it is reasonable to extend this assertion and apply it to the God whose nature and existence we are testing. I will conclude with my own arguments why we cannot extend this generalization about persons to God; that is, why C - 2 is not acceptable. (Understand that this is an argument specifically regarding why proposition C cannot be reasonably applied to the being described in proposition X):

God is fundamentally different from human persons in that (according to X) He created the universe and has full knowledge and understanding of all of its aspects, whereas humans are creations of His and have only very limited knowledge of the universe. But the question still remains whether this difference is sufficient to reject C - 2.

Part of human knowledge of the nature of the universe is explained by the theory of Evolution, which provides a framework for explaining aspects of the anatomy, physiology, and behavior of all living beings in terms of the efficacy of those aspects for assuring the survival of the species. It can easily be shown that physical sensations of the body, which result from stimuli impinging on the sensory organs, have evolved because they (pleasurable sensations) tend to attract us towards things that are beneficial, or they (pain and other unpleasant sensations) tend to repel us from things that are detrimental. Likewise, we can show that most mammals feel compelled to intervene on behalf of a member of the same species when that other expresses pain or appears to be in peril. This is particularly true in the case of two individuals whose lives are closely conjoined, as in a familial relationship. Thus, the scientific explanation for the fact of C - 1 is that this is a response that has evolved because it has contributed to the survival of the species. Any reasonable person will have this tendency, will feel sympathetic pain, will do what they can to prevent or alleviate the pain of another because it is in our genes. We value this tendency and call it an expression of "love" for good reason: it preserves our species, and particularly those individual members of our species who are closest to us genetically.
God, on the other hand, does not have such a need, as He is not part of any species, but has created all species and the balance of forces that supports them and causes them to evolve and advance. Therefore, it is unreasonable to say that God is enough like a "person" that statement C - 1 applies to God.

QED

God shows His love by providing guidance to our human species, whom he has endowed with capacity far beyond that of all other species. His guidance is the surest means to ensure the advancement of the species with a minimum of pain and suffering. We will be able to use observation of the decrease in the pain and suffering in the world as one small measure of how well we are following His guidance:

"O CHILDREN OF MEN! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest. Such is My counsel to you, O concourse of light! Heed ye this counsel that ye may obtain the fruit of holiness from the tree of wondrous glory."
I think you did extremely well in giving my point of view and the path to the conclusion was well done, TILL. Till you reinvented god to fit the theory. If you change gods character to something we can not conceive of then , yes it is conceivable. BUT the god we are debating is a good benevolent god , in the character we would consider good. You have turned gods goodness into a logic we cant comprehend but you accept through faith. You are not far from my agnostic belief, I don't deny god but the gods I have encountered are not logical. Their descriptions are not logical, you cant have a good all powerful god who ignores evil and lets the least of creation suffer untold horrors. The description in the question is not logical. I think you know that.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 05:37 AM ----------

ACB;123948 wrote:
"Illogical" does not mean "weird" or "inexplicable" or "violating causality" or anything like that; it means "self-contradictory".

Alice in Wonderland is perfectly logical. The things in it are what they are; they are not other than what they are. Likewise with QM. They may require a complex description, but they do not violate the law of non-contradiction.

All human concepts are framed by logic, and the human concept of an all-powerful God is no exception, since we cannot step outside our human perspective. Therefore, if we talk about an all-powerful God altering or suspending logic, we literally do not know what we are talking about. The idea of God creating a triangular pentagon makes no more sense than the idea of a triangular pentagon itself.

God with the job description, all powerful , can do anything he chooses or you have to limit his power. Infinity is a concept that is impossible to acheive, so is the term all powerful, it means nothing.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123920 wrote:
God cannot make a figure both a pentagon and a triangle. Does that mean he is not omnipotent? How about answering that one?

How would you like a pentagram:

1 line forming a pentagon and five triangles:poke-eye::a-thought:
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123920 wrote:
God cannot make a figure both a pentagon and a triangle. Does that mean he is not omnipotent? How about answering that one?
Whats more logical a god that cant stop evil or a god that cant decide what a pentagon looks like. A triangle looking like a pentagon is no more or no less illogical than an all powerful god who cant destroy evil. You constantly trying to tell me I'm wrong but by so doing, have the embarrassing result of admitting I'm right.
ACB

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:02 am
@xris,
xris;124013 wrote:
God with the job description, all powerful , can do anything he chooses or you have to limit his power. Infinity is a concept that is impossible to acheive, so is the term all powerful, it means nothing.

So what is your conclusion? How would you describe God in a way that makes sense? Or is that impossible? And if so, can God exist at all?
xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:25 am
@ACB,
ACB;124024 wrote:
So what is your conclusion? How would you describe God in a way that makes sense? Or is that impossible? And if so, can God exist at all?
Its not matter of, if god can exist or not, its finding a description that is logical, but don't ask me I'm an agnostic, if I knew Id be a believer or an atheist. He could exist in my opinion but he is beyond our comprehension. Im not adverse to trying to describe him but I fail every time.

On this occasion I'm not saying god does not exist, just that the question posed was not logical.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:26 am
@xris,
xris;124022 wrote:
Whats more logical a god that cant stop evil or a god that cant decide what a pentagon looks like. A triangle looking like a pentagon is no more or no less illogical than an all powerful god who cant destroy evil. You constantly trying to tell me I'm wrong but by so doing, have the embarrassing result of admitting I'm right.

It is not what a figure looks like. It is what a figure is. A figure might (for all I know) look as if it has five sides and also only three sides but it cannot have five sides and only three sides. Looks don't count. What is the case counts.
xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124030 wrote:
It is not what a figure looks like. It is what a figure is. A figure might (for all I know) look as if it has five sides and also only three sides but it cannot have five sides and only three sides. Looks don't count. What is the case counts.
Just continue your support of my illogical god, it all helps, thanks xris.
0 Replies

ACB

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:10 am
@xris,
xris;124029 wrote:
Its not matter of, if god can exist or not, its finding a description that is logical, but don't ask me I'm an agnostic, if I knew Id be a believer or an atheist. He could exist in my opinion but he is beyond our comprehension. Im not adverse to trying to describe him but I fail every time.

On this occasion I'm not saying god does not exist, just that the question posed was not logical.

Why not just say "God can do anything, including things that are beyond our comprehension"? That statement would make sense.
xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:31 am
@ACB,
ACB;124044 wrote:
Why not just say "God can do anything, including things that are beyond our comprehension"? That statement would make sense.
But that was my point, if he could, then he could create our existence without evil. If he chooses not to then his not good as we know goodness. Its the old catch 22.

I cant imagine a creator who would for whatever reason purposely create us imperfect and expect us to perform as perfect creatures. Or climb this horrific ladder of life, to attain perfection, a perfection god could have created in the first place. Its like a giant board game with complex rules of play. If god exists, its everyone of us and the power of evil or good lies within each of us , our salvation is our responsibility. I believe there is cycle of life and death and our soul moves from one realm to another. We may have spiritual elders but not a god we can praise or demean.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:35 am
@xris,
xris;124053 wrote:
But that was my point, if he could, then he could create our existence without evil. If he chooses not to then his not good as we know goodness. Its the old catch 22.

I cant imagine a creator who would for whatever reason purposely create us imperfect and expect us to perform as perfect creatures. Or climb this horrific ladder of life, to attain perfection, a perfection god could have created in the first place. Its like a giant board game with complex rules of play. If god exists, its everyone of us and the power of evil or good lies within each of us , our salvation is our responsibility. I believe there is cycle of life and death and our soul moves from one realm to another. We may have spiritual elders but not a god we can praise or demean.

But what makes you think that He could not created "existence" without evil? Of course He could. But if He did, then the world He created would not be as good as the world He has created which contains evil. But I have already explained that. And you keep forgetting that.
xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124055 wrote:
But what makes you think that He could not created "existence" without evil? Of course He could. But if He did, then the world He created would not be as good as the world He has created which contains evil. But I have already explained that. And you keep forgetting that.
I have no idea what your on about, whats with the capital H all the time? HE he he...
QuinticNon

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:14 am
@xris,
xris;124053 wrote:
...a perfection god could have created in the first place.

You mean like Heaven? Lucifer ruined that one. You mean like the Garden of Eden? Humans ruined that one.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:20 am
@xris,
xris;124064 wrote:
I have no idea what your on about, whats with the capital H all the time? HE he he...

Which is to say, some evils are necessary for some goods. But I have explained all this several times. Everyone else seems to understand what is meant, even if they don't agree with it. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
xris

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:28 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;124090 wrote:
Which is to say, some evils are necessary for some goods. But I have explained all this several times. Everyone else seems to understand what is meant, even if they don't agree with it. There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Its you that have refused to accept that evil is only a necessity for a god with limited ability. Your invented god is illogical.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuinticNon;124089 wrote:
You mean like Heaven? Lucifer ruined that one. You mean like the Garden of Eden? Humans ruined that one.
O dear, imperfect humans caused the problem and who created them? If you create imperfection you will get imperfect acts. The buck stops with the manufacturer every time if the goods are faulty.
kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:35 am
@xris,
xris;124093 wrote:
Its you that have refused to accept that evil is only a necessity for a god with limited ability. Your invented god is illogical.

---------- Post added 02-01-2010 at 10:31 AM ----------

It is not illogical to do what is contradictory. It is impossible. But, it is illogical to believe that what is contradictory can be done. So, it is not God who is illogical, it is you.
QuinticNon

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:36 am
@xris,
xris;124093 wrote:
IIf you create imperfection you will get imperfect acts.

So you won't be satisfied until God creates us as perfect Beings? You want God to create other Gods? Nothing less will do? I see a pattern forming here... It's called "God Complex"... and it begins with Humans judging God for not doing things the way Humans think they should be done.
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:38 am
@xris,
xris;124013 wrote:
I think you did extremely well in giving my point of view and the path to the conclusion was well done, TILL. Till you reinvented god to fit the theory. If you change gods character to something we can not conceive of then , yes it is conceivable. BUT the god we are debating is a good benevolent god , in the character we would consider good. You have turned gods goodness into a logic we cant comprehend but you accept through faith. You are not far from my agnostic belief, I don't deny god but the gods I have encountered are not logical. Their descriptions are not logical, you cant have a good all powerful god who ignores evil and lets the least of creation suffer untold horrors. The description in the question is not logical. I think you know that.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that I "reinvented god to fit the theory". I am certain that my concept of what God is is different from your concept, but I do not see where I strayed from a scriptually correct concept. What I did do was to give support to the idea that God is much more than some "person" or "person-like" being Whom we sat has certain powers and a certain history.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;123899 wrote:
If we look at what God has done in Haiti, we have no clue what he has in store for those people. For example, what if I told you that 95% of Haiti was living in squalor to the point of essentially living a life of perpetual suffering and that, in 10 years, because of this incident, Haiti will join the U.S., rebuild 50x better than they ever were and every person living there will turn there life over to God, and, in fact, Haiti will unite the world in peace.
Even if you reject this hypothetical the point is that there may be a justified reason for what happened just as it is justified to let a child fall when learning to walk.

Allowing a child to stumble and fall, without serious harm, is not a good analogy for crushing people to death, and maiming many others. There is nothing that could possibly happen in Haiti in the future that will help the ones who are dead from the earthquake.