Why does God permit evil????

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:05 am
@ACB,
ACB;123869 wrote:
I disagree with you about an all-powerful God being able to do the logically impossible, but I agree about him being able to create perfect humans. Let's take these two issues separately.

Logically impossible actions

If God could defy logic, he could make himself omnipotent and non-omnipotent at the same time. He could make himself similtaneously able and unable to defy logic; he could both exist and not exist; he could stop being God while continuing to be God; he could perform an action while not performing it; he could make you believe in him while disbelieving in him; and so on ad absurdum. The whole thing would descend into nonsense.

I couldn't believe quantum fysics in highschool. I couldn't deal with the fact atoms didn't behave in a classical manner.:Glasses:
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:12 am
@ACB,
ACB;123869 wrote:
I disagree with you about an all-powerful God being able to do the logically impossible, but I agree about him being able to create perfect humans. Let's take these two issues separately.

You argue that if God can do absolutely everything, he must be able to do what is logically impossible. In other words - God can create all things; a square circle is a thing; therefore God can create a square circle. But the second premise is incorrect: a square circle is not a thing. The combination of words "square circle" is a contradiction and therefore does not denote anything at all; it is just a meaningless phrase, like "wounded yellow question" or "rainy conversation". It's just words and nothing else.

If God could defy logic, he could make himself omnipotent and non-omnipotent at the same time. He could make himself similtaneously able and unable to defy logic; he could both exist and not exist; he could stop being God while continuing to be God; he could perform an action while not performing it; he could make you believe in him while disbelieving in him; and so on ad absurdum. The whole thing would descend into nonsense.

Human perfection

Here I agree with you. If a person has free will to do good on any particular occasion, he/she can do good on all occasions. If perfection were logically impossible, a dying person who had always done good in the past would be forced to choose evil on the final occasion. But then they would not have free will on that last occasion. Every time they did have free will, they chose right. So they died perfect; so perfection must be logically possible.

If perfection were logically impossible, a dying person who had always done good in the past would be forced to choose evil on the final occasion. But then they would not have free will on that last occasion.

Could you explain why that would be so? A person with free will would not be forced to do either right or wrong. In fact, it is logically impossible for someone to do something of his own free will, and also be forced to do it.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:25 am
@ACB,
ACB;123869 wrote:

You argue that if God can do absolutely everything, he must be able to do what is logically impossible. In other words - God can create all things; a square circle is a thing; therefore God can create a square circle. But the second premise is incorrect: a square circle is not a thing. The combination of words "square circle" is a contradiction and therefore does not denote anything at all; it is just a meaningless phrase, like "wounded yellow question" or "rainy conversation". It's just words and nothing else.

Human perfection

Here I agree with you. If a person has free will to do good on any particular occasion, he/she can do good on all occasions. If perfection were logically impossible, a dying person who had always done good in the past would be forced to choose evil on the final occasion. But then they would not have free will on that last occasion. Every time they did have free will, they chose right. So they died perfect; so perfection must be logically possible.
Could you describe a god that is logical? Im not asking for a god that is logical Im saying the god you want me to answer for is not logical. It appears that everyone is telling me I'm wrong but at the same time Im right. A god that is all powerful is not logical. If you want me to maintain the fact that he is all powerful then he performs illogical acts. Now I would like it clarified, is he illogically all powerful or will you maintain his all powerful description is logical? I cant believe I'm the only one that sees the futility of the question.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:28 am
@xris,
xris;123879 wrote:
Could you describe a god that is logical? Im not asking for a god that is logical Im saying the god you want me to answer for is not logical. It appears that everyone is telling me I'm wrong but at the same time Im right. A god that is all powerful is not logical. If you want me to maintain the fact that he is all powerful then he performs illogical acts. Now I would like it clarified, is he illogically all powerful or will you maintain his all powerful description is logical? I cant believe I'm the only one that sees the futility of the question.

Could you mention, again, what you mean by being "logical"? I don't recall your ever saying what you mean by that. I mean, "not self-contradictory". But what do you mean?
xris

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:33 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123883 wrote:
Could you mention, again, what you mean by being "logical"? I don't recall your ever saying what you mean by that. I mean, "not self-contradictory". But what do you mean?
If you dont get my argument by now , you never will. Nit pick if you wish but it wont help your ability to understand my position.
0 Replies

Amperage

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 12:41 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;123819 wrote:
So funny that you use this argument on me, when your own argument is subjected to the same statement.

"You are once again making a presumption to know the purpose for something which you clearly can not know."

Alright then everything about god, falls into this same statement. Everything that you believe is subject to this statement. What you believe god is doing, has done, will do, or hasn't done is all pure presumption as well as his own existence. You are presuming he exists yet completely ignore your own statement. You don't see the contradiction in your statement?
I think the subtle difference is this: I'm only arguing from the standpoint of possibility. I'm not presuming to know anything per say but I am allowing for the possibility. That being said, this obviously also allows room for the possibility that I am wrong, something I will freely admit. I only wish to convey that either choice is possible and there is compelling evidence in either direction.

I do, however, disagree that EVERYTHING about God falls into the same statement. Clearly(if we're arguing from a position that God exists), there are certain things which we can not know(ie. the manner in which God will see His plan through, the purpose for individual occurrences, etc.), but there are many things which we can. For example, I can know about you, but I have no clue(necessarily) what you may or may not say or do. In the same way we can know that God loves us without know what He has planned for us in the future. I may be stricken with avian flu tomorrow but still maintain God loves me. For as it says in 1 Peter 4:19 "Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right." Heck read 1 Peter 4:12-19
ACB

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 12:51 pm
@xris,
xris;123879 wrote:
A god that is all powerful is not logical. If you want me to maintain the fact that he is all powerful then he performs illogical acts.

But that is a caricature of what "all powerful" means. To deny the possibility of omnipotence on that basis is a straw-man argument. Have another look at my post #1020. "All powerful" means "able to do absolutely anything" (any thing). Illogicalities (i.e. contradictions) do not denote "things" at all. They are just nonsensical strings of words - a misuse of language. There is no such thing as an "illogical act" - there are only illogical statements or arguments.

In order to be a coherent concept, omnipotence (like anything else) must be compatible with logic. Do you see my point?

xris;123879 wrote:
will you maintain his all powerful description is logical?

Yes.

---------- Post added 01-31-2010 at 06:54 PM ----------

kennethamy;123873 wrote:
If perfection were logically impossible, a dying person who had always done good in the past would be forced to choose evil on the final occasion. But then they would not have free will on that last occasion.

Could you explain why that would be so? A person with free will would not be forced to do either right or wrong. In fact, it is logically impossible for someone to do something of his own free will, and also be forced to do it.

Quite so. As I said, the person would not have free will on the final occasion.
Pyrrho

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 12:58 pm
@Amperage,
Amperage;123891 wrote:
I think the subtle difference is this: I'm only arguing from the standpoint of possibility. I'm not presuming to know anything per say but I am allowing for the possibility. That being said, this obviously also allows room for the possibility that I am wrong, something I will freely admit. I only wish to convey that either choice is possible and there is compelling evidence in either direction.

I do, however, disagree that EVERYTHING about God falls into the same statement. Clearly(if we're arguing from a position that God exists), there are certain things which we can not know(ie. the manner in which God will see His plan through, the purpose for individual occurrences, etc.), but there are many things which we can. For example, I can know about you, but I have no clue(necessarily) what you may or may not say or do. In the same way we can know that God loves us without know what He has planned for us in the future. I may be stricken with avian flu tomorrow but still maintain God loves me. For as it says in 1 Peter 4:19 "Therefore, those also who suffer according to the will of God shall entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right." Heck read 1 Peter 4:12-19

Upon what basis do you claim to know that God loves you? Is it simply because it says so in an old book?

That is not the normal way of coming to the conclusion that someone loves you. It is not merely claiming it, but acting like it is true that one is justified in believing such a claim. If we look at what God has done in Haiti, we can say that God certainly does not act like he loves people. So we have, in fact, good reason to believe that God does not love us (assuming, of course, that God exists, which is something that should not merely be assumed, but should be given some foundation before it is to be believed).

In this, as in so many things in life, actions speak louder than words.

Frankly, it sounds more like you are simply determined to believe that God loves you, regardless of the evidence. Do you really think that is a good way to believe, not only without supporting evidence, but actually against the evidence that you have?
xris

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:05 pm
@ACB,
ACB;123893 wrote:
But that is a caricature of what "all powerful" means. To deny the possibility of omnipotence on that basis is a straw-man argument. Have another look at my post #1020. "All powerful" means "able to do absolutely anything" (any thing). Illogicalities (i.e. contradictions) do not denote "things" at all. They are just nonsensical strings of words - a misuse of language.

In order to be a coherent concept, omnipotence (like anything else) must be compatible with logic. Do you see my point?

Yes.

---------- Post added 01-31-2010 at 06:54 PM ----------

Quite so. As I said, the person would not have free will on the final occasion.
So you describe god as logical ?in the sense that his provable? If you would talk of earthy things, mortals, your logic would be applicable but your not. This application of all powerful, is not what it states. You maintain that god has not the ability to be illogical , did he invent logic or was is it present without him? You can answer how you please but both lead to the same conclusion. If he invented logic then he can overcome his invention, if he did not invent logic then his power is diminished by it, so he is not all powerful. With my logic he cant over come logic but then to me he is illogical with the description the question poses. This question does not question gods logic but the logic of the question.
Amperage

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:24 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123895 wrote:
Upon what basis do you claim to know that God loves you? Is it simply because it says so in an old book?
Upon the basis that I have felt God's love in me, and seen God move through other people, and I have read about others who have had similar experiences, etc. etc. etc. . There are more than enough evidences of God's love, however, anything I can submit as evidence can be rationalized away by someone else, but that doesn't deny anything, it would just be genetic fallacy. Consider this quote:
Quote:
"You're not going to wear a wedding ring, are you? Don't you know that the wedding ring originally symbolized ankle chains worn by women to prevent them from running away from their husbands? I would not have thought you would be a party to such a sexist practice." There may be reasons why people may not wish to wear wedding rings, but it would be logically inappropriate for a couple to reject the notion of exchanging wedding rings on the sole grounds of its alleged sexist origins.
there may be reasons why people may consider my evidences as pointing to something else, but it would be incorrect in rejecting the notion of God based on the grounds that you can come up with some other explanation.

Pyrrho;123895 wrote:
That is not the normal way of coming to the conclusion that someone loves you. It is not merely claiming it, but acting like it is true that one is justified in believing such a claim. If we look at what God has done in Haiti, we can say that God certainly does not act like he loves people. So we have, in fact, good reason to believe that God does not love us (assuming, of course, that God exists, which is something that should not merely be assumed, but should be given some foundation before it is to be believed).
If we look at what God has done in Haiti, we have no clue what he has in store for those people. For example, what if I told you that 95% of Haiti was living in squalor to the point of essentially living a life of perpetual suffering and that, in 10 years, because of this incident, Haiti will join the U.S., rebuild 50x better than they ever were and every person living there will turn there life over to God, and, in fact, Haiti will unite the world in peace.
Even if you reject this hypothetical the point is that there may be a justified reason for what happened just as it is justified to let a child fall when learning to walk.

Pyrrho;123895 wrote:
Frankly, it sounds more like you are simply determined to believe that God loves you, regardless of the evidence. Do you really think that is a good way to believe, not only without supporting evidence, but actually against the evidence that you have?
The evidence, IMO, supports my position that God loves me. I would never ask that you have to agree with me and I would never make you prove you love your wife or that she loves you, in fact, I doubt such a thing can even be tested in any meaningful way. God provides me with, as Paul describes in Philippians, a "peace that surpasses all comprehension".
ACB

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:05 pm
@xris,
xris;123896 wrote:
So you describe god as logical? in the sense that his provable? If you would talk of earthy things, mortals, your logic would be applicable but your not. This application of all powerful, is not what it states. You maintain that god has not the ability to be illogical , did he invent logic or was is it present without him? You can answer how you please but both lead to the same conclusion. If he invented logic then he can overcome his invention, if he did not invent logic then his power is diminished by it, so he is not all powerful. With my logic he cant over come logic but then to me he is illogical with the description the question poses. This question does not question gods logic but the logic of the question.

To talk of "inventing logic" is, I think, a category mistake. God, if he exists, invents basic entities. "Logic" relates to the descriptions of these entities and the relationships between them; it is not a further entity that is invented alongside them. So the idea of God "inventing" or "not inventing" logic does not make sense. God can do whatever he wants, and whatever he does fits a certain self-consistent (i.e. non-contradictory) description. His power is not restricted in any way. Please try to understand my argument.

To give an analogy: if God invents a pair of stars, the "pair" is not a third thing alongside the two stars. To talk of God's ability to get rid of the "pair" but keep the stars (or vice versa) is just playing with words. The same applies to talk of "overcoming logic".

The words "all" and "powerful" are perfectly logical; indeed, "all" is often used in logic. Yet you have put them together and claimed to derive an illogical (and impossible) concept. So your argument must be flawed. "All-powerful" needs to be construed in a logical way.
xris

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:19 pm
@ACB,
ACB;123901 wrote:
To talk of "inventing logic" is, I think, a category mistake. God, if he exists, invents basic entities. "Logic" relates to the descriptions of these entities and the relationships between them; it is not a further entity that is invented alongside them. So the idea of God "inventing" or "not inventing" logic does not make sense. God can do whatever he wants, and whatever he does fits a certain self-consistent (i.e. non-contradictory) description. His power is not restricted in any way. Please try to understand my argument.

To give an analogy: if God invents a pair of stars, the "pair" is not a third thing alongside the two stars. To talk of God's ability to get rid of the "pair" but keep the stars (or vice versa) is just playing with words. The same applies to talk of "overcoming logic".

The words "all" and "powerful" are perfectly logical; indeed, "all" is often used in logic. Yet you have put them together and claimed to derive an illogical (and impossible) concept. So your argument must be flawed. "All-powerful" needs to be construed in a logical way.
Sorry it does not have to be constructed in any way, if god who has the power do exactly as he wishes. Alice in wonderland could be absolutely logical if god wished it to be so. You are saying his other inventions describe logic but he has the power to alter any concept or any creation. Your view of logic is restricted by your understanding, not the description. QM has the ability to turn logic on its head, so why not your all powerful god? An impossible concept does not describe an impossible god or even a possible god. Only an impossible god can describe an impossible concept. You cant have your cake.....
Amperage

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:33 pm
@xris,
xris;123905 wrote:
QM has the ability to turn logic on its head
please elaborate
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:43 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123895 wrote:

I think it is because I am so pretty.
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 03:26 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;123895 wrote:
If we look at what God has done in Haiti, we can say that God certainly does not act like he loves people.

So you believe in God? What exactly do you believe "God has done in Haiti"?

Pyrrho;123895 wrote:
So we have, in fact, good reason to believe that God does not love us...

In fact?

Pyrrho;123895 wrote:
(assuming, of course, that God exists, which is something that should not merely be assumed, but should be given some foundation before it is to be believed).

DNA is a Code. All Codes have Sentient Authors. Therefore, DNA was Authored.

---------- Post added 01-31-2010 at 03:49 PM ----------

xris;123905 wrote:
QM has the ability to turn logic on its head, so why not your all powerful god?

QM cannot "turn logic". Logic does not have a "head". It is illogical to personify logic.

xris;123905 wrote:
Only an impossible god can describe an impossible concept...

God didn't write Alice in Wonderland.
xris

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:03 pm
@QuinticNon,
It appears the faithful wish their gods ability to be questioned. If it as they say, then we can understand he did not have the ability to stop evil, even if he wished it. His power is questioned, therefore he is not all powerful and the question is not valid. Possible good but not all powerful.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:19 pm
@xris,
xris;123916 wrote:
It appears the faithful wish their gods ability to be questioned. If it as they say, then we can understand he did not have the ability to stop evil, even if he wished it. His power is questioned, therefore he is not all powerful and the question is not valid. Possible good but not all powerful.

God cannot make a figure both a pentagon and a triangle. Does that mean he is not omnipotent? How about answering that one?
QuinticNon

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 04:31 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123920 wrote:
God cannot make a figure both a pentagon and a triangle.

Heh... Even I can do that... Especially if a FE can be Red...

http://www.puzzles.com/PuzzlePlayground/CountingTriangles/CountingTrianglesSol.gif
kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:01 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;123922 wrote:
Heh... Even I can do that... Especially if a FE can be Red...

http://www.puzzles.com/PuzzlePlayground/CountingTriangles/CountingTrianglesSol.gif

How about milk? Do you think milk can be white? Or, grass, green, or butter, yellow? Do you think that anything can have a property without being identical with the property?
0 Replies

1CellOfMany

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 06:08 pm
@xris,
xris;123655 wrote:
So what of my repetitive arguments dont you understand? If I have stated them often enough you should be able to say why my argument is not logical. I will try putting this way....I make perfect cars...they dont break down ever for whatever reason, they are indestructible...would you buy car breakdown insurance?

Please pardon the length of this. Also, please read to the end before responding, however mightily you might disagree with some part of it:

Xris, your argument, [and my commentary] is presented below in a clear and rigorous form:

"We wish to test the validity of the following proposition (proposition X) about which we disagree:

X: There exists a Supreme Entity, Whom we will call "God", Who has the following attributes:
[INDENT]1.God is the Sole Creator of the universe, and has created this universe with full knowledge and understanding of all aspects of that creation.
2.God is All Powerful, meaning that He can do whatever he pleases with His creation. Among the things which He can do: He can cause whatever change in it He desires, including changing the mental and physical characteristics of the creatures, the laws of physics, the relative densities of specific substances, the operation and severity of the weather. etc.)
3.God is All Loving. He loves each of His creatures, and most certainly us humans.
[/INDENT]
We are going to test the logical validity of proposition X against the following propositions, A, B, and C, which we either all agree upon, or which are clear and evident to any reasonable and observant person:

A. In this world, which God is said to have created according to #1, we all agree that there is human suffering.
[INDENT] I.We also agree that some of that suffering is caused by evil actions of humans.
II. We also agree that events, such as earthquakes, and severe weather, which are caused by physical circumstances that seem to be part of this world, also cause suffering.
[/INDENT] B. According to X - 2 above, God is All Powerful, and therefore He is capable of preventing human suffering of both kinds if He wished to. [I believe that most of us can agree on this.]
C. A Loving God would not allow his beloved human creatures to suffer if He could prevent it.

Proposition C is a key point on which the theists and and atheists disagree.
If C is true, then we must conclude one of the following:
[INDENT] I.That if there exists an Entity Who is the Sole Creator of the universe and is All Loving, He is NOT All Powerful. OR
II.That if there exists an Entity Who is the Sole Creator of the universe and is All Powerful, then He is NOT All Loving OR
III.That there exists NO Entity Who is the Sole Creator of the universe.
[/INDENT][In truth, we really only need I or II, but III is the conclusion that the atheists believe and the belief to which they wish us all to convert.] ;- D

Now, as xris has complained, all of us "traditional" theists are quite attached to proposition X, which he wishes to test. (Some "modern" or "untraditional" theists are not so convinced about many aspects of proposition X, but we will set that aside for now.) Because we theists take proposition X on faith, and believe that it "Must be True", we are ready to seek any way that we can to give good cause for rejecting proposition C. In other words, we feel compelled to demonstrate why a Loving God would, in fact, allow the human suffering that we see in the world, even though He could prevent it. There are several arguments, which theists consider conclusive, for rejecting C. If the theists and the atheists cannot or will not agree upon the validity of C, then we are at an impasse.

I believe the atheist argument in support of C is as follows:
C - 1 "Any reasonable person will agree that if one person loves another, they would gladly do [nearly] anything to prevent the ones they love from suffering."

There is a second part of this argument which I have not seen stated, but that is necessary to completing the logical support of C. That is:

C - 2 "God is a person, or enough like a person, (and God's relationship to us humans is enough like the relationship between a person who loves other persons) that statement C - 1 also applies to God."

Assertion C - 1 is supportable and verifiable as far as human persons (and many other living creatures, particularly mammals and marsupials) are concerned, but the question is, whether it is reasonable to extend this assertion and apply it to the God whose nature and existence we are testing. I will conclude with my own arguments why we cannot extend this generalization about persons to God; that is, why C - 2 is not acceptable. (Understand that this is an argument specifically regarding why proposition C cannot be reasonably applied to the being described in proposition X):

God is fundamentally different from human persons in that (according to X) He created the universe and has full knowledge and understanding of all of its aspects, whereas humans are creations of His and have only very limited knowledge of the universe. But the question still remains whether this difference is sufficient to reject C - 2.

Part of human knowledge of the nature of the universe is explained by the theory of Evolution, which provides a framework for explaining aspects of the anatomy, physiology, and behavior of all living beings in terms of the efficacy of those aspects for assuring the survival of the species. It can easily be shown that physical sensations of the body, which result from stimuli impinging on the sensory organs, have evolved because they (pleasurable sensations) tend to attract us towards things that are beneficial, or they (pain and other unpleasant sensations) tend to repel us from things that are detrimental. Likewise, we can show that most mammals feel compelled to intervene on behalf of a member of the same species when that other expresses pain or appears to be in peril. This is particularly true in the case of two individuals whose lives are closely conjoined, as in a familial relationship. Thus, the scientific explanation for the fact of C - 1 is that this is a response that has evolved because it has contributed to the survival of the species. Any reasonable person will have this tendency, will feel sympathetic pain, will do what they can to prevent or alleviate the pain of another because it is in our genes. We value this tendency and call it an expression of "love" for good reason: it preserves our species, and particularly those individual members of our species who are closest to us genetically.
God, on the other hand, does not have such a need, as He is not part of any species, but has created all species and the balance of forces that supports them and causes them to evolve and advance. Therefore, it is unreasonable to say that God is enough like a "person" that statement C - 1 applies to God.

QED

God shows His love by providing guidance to our human species, whom he has endowed with capacity far beyond that of all other species. His guidance is the surest means to ensure the advancement of the species with a minimum of pain and suffering. We will be able to use observation of the decrease in the pain and suffering in the world as one small measure of how well we are following His guidance:

"O CHILDREN OF MEN! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other. Ponder at all times in your hearts how ye were created. Since We have created you all from one same substance it is incumbent on you to be even as one soul, to walk with the same feet, eat with the same mouth and dwell in the same land, that from your inmost being, by your deeds and actions, the signs of oneness and the essence of detachment may be made manifest. Such is My counsel to you, O concourse of light! Heed ye this counsel that ye may obtain the fruit of holiness from the tree of wondrous glory."